your 'friends list'

Started by 650Booger, February 22, 2018, 06:16:40 PM

how do you keep track of all the PCs your currently living PC knows?  spreadsheets are probably the most obvious way to go.  do you sort them by clan, or just put them in a big list?  do you wipe the list when your PC dies?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

i keep a separate notepad file for each character, unless they're vapid and forgetful.

it's more fun that way.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I keep a spreadsheet per character.  Then just open a new one for the next one and start over.  Sometimes it's fun to go wandering back through the old sheets and count up how many Bynners you knew.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I just mostly play forgetful characters. Havent seen you in a week or more, no idea what your name is.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I use my client to do the memory work for me.

A tressy-tress melon-chested half-elf says, "I'm Barbie and I work for Borsail sucking noble cock all day."

#substitute 'tressy-tress melon-chested half-elf' '*Barbie the Borsail Cocksucker*'

So then I just see the name and maybe a brief description of what I might know about them.

I used to wipe it between characters but I stopped bothering a long time ago. The list still includes dudes like Aenvir and Big Bush the Sun Runner. I stopped bothering because you're going to remember memorable people and the onus is STILL on you to pretend you don't know them or anything about them, and even if you have substituted their sdesc with a name, if they're not important to you, then you'll have forgotten when you run into them again.

It's roleplay. Your next character may become best friends with the asshole who killed your last character. You simply don't know.

Honestly. I just remember them myself, if I play often enough my mind adapts to it and the sdescs of most folk just stick in there. Its literally the only thing my brain is good at remembering.

That's how. I'm sure there's a better way to do it but I'm too rusty and impatient.

I write them down in a spiral-bound notebook. Left margin is the name, the middle is the title (if any) and sdesc, and the right margin is for any 2-3 word tidbit that my character would absolutely positively remember about them. Example:

Talia Tor the burly bald-headed templar (blue-robe) Aide: Amos

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Notepad.  Short description followed by name and some notes, typically their profession, the impression my character has on them and some simple things.

"the tressy-tressed, tall woman" = Talia.  Jul Tavan.  Likes their hair, doesn't like their corny jokes.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I use ConnectedText which is a personal wiki which allows you to link topics one to the other. So I can link a character as a member of a faction, a lover or another, a previous lover of another, etc. I only use this for information my PC would be stuck with for the rest of his life, not just 'every' single detail.

I write every PC's name on a marshmallow peep in sharpie.  Then, when I murder them, I eat the peep.  It's its own reward.

...or I use a new word doc for each char.  You know.  One or the other.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

February 23, 2018, 01:16:16 AM #11 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:33:00 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I don't.  I think its realistic to not remember everything.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: James de Monet on February 22, 2018, 09:53:28 PM
I write every PC's name on a marshmallow peep in sharpie.  Then, when I murder them, I eat the peep.  It's its own reward.

Nuke those Mofos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi5Or5yfjdo
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

I used to keep a notepad document, per character, of general notes. If they were a cook, that's where I'd write my favorite recipes, or copy-paste an important order from a particular person.

Honestly? These days? Sometimes I copy-paste a line into my own Discord Server for later use, but I genuinely play the part of "tell bearded" until someone reminds me their name is Steve.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I only write down very close associates whom my character probably shouldn't be forgetting the name of.  Usually in an oversized txt file.

Everyone else?  If I don't remember it, my character doesn't.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on February 23, 2018, 01:17:59 AM
I don't.  I think its realistic to not remember everything.

I have severe ADHD and therefore extremely forgetful. I'd rather know everyone and then (if my character is likely to have forgotten) act like they have forgotten. My own limitations shouldn't affect my character's suitability.

Quote from: Feco on February 23, 2018, 05:00:20 PM
I only write down very close associates whom my character probably shouldn't be forgetting the name of.  Usually in an oversized txt file.

Everyone else?  If I don't remember it, my character doesn't.

my Dunbar's Number is very low.  I can hardly remember the names of people I know in real life, let alone remember the names of the dozens of SDESCs my PC interacts with.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Organize freak. So everything has a pretty little section on OneNote. I have a notebook specifically for everything Arm related, be it people and sdescs, recipes and crafting things, things to remember, etc. The one on people has it's own divider, more important people to my character even have their own little handy-dandy page for small references.
~Witch with the *BOOM* stick~

In real life I'm a professional dining room server, its my duty to remember all.   The only time I jot down a name is when its somebody Super High Up in the ranks that I know I'll get castrated for if I don't address them with perfection.  When that day comes I'm frantically looking over my coffee table for wherever the hell that piece of paper went...   Usually the cat stole it, and I get castrated.
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

I use a little note file when they are important (some task I gave them or lie I told them); for everyone else I'll either forget and fake it, or just grep my log files for their sdesc.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I have a shitty memory, so I just write things down in a small notebook. If I've seen them once and that was months ago? My character doesn't remember. If it's fairly recent and I don't need to turn too many pages to find them, they remember.

The notes are pretty disorganized, too, so I'll have trouble even finding the scdesc if it's been too long.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Three word files per character.
Events
<character name> for background and scdesc and such
people for a list of sdescs and names
For merchanty types I sometimes keep a ledger.
I wipe them per character.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Quote from: Hauwke on February 22, 2018, 07:37:28 PM
Honestly. I just remember them myself, if I play often enough my mind adapts to it and the sdescs of most folk just stick in there. Its literally the only thing my brain is good at remembering.

I just remember them, too. Sometimes I forget people. It happens. But mostly I see a sdesc and automatically associate it with their name.

I write

alias amos contact tall.heavy.man

Then I can type amos to contact the guy and alias to see a kind of list of who my character knows.  You're limited to ten slots but that works most of the time.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I keep an excel sheet, with characters I know, pertinent things I'm supposed to be on the lookout for, dates/times for RPTs.

When I lose a character, I move the sheet to my logs folder to keep it with all the other character related things.

Sometimes I go back through and read them, especially things like special promotions for my longer lived PCs.
3/21/16 Never Forget

According to the biography helpfile,
Quote... This is not an electronic sticky pad to jot down ideas, thoughts, or things to remember. ...

So I'm not sure keeping a bio to record people your PC knows is allowed.

What I do, personally, is keep an alias in my MUD client, recognize. I use it like recognize Amos - the tall, muscular man. The name and s-desc is stored in a file and a substitution is made to change all matches of "the tall, muscular man" to "the tall, muscular man (Amos)". I delete or move the file away once my PC is dead. Whether or not the name is stored, I'll have my PC forget the name if it makes sense to.

I don't keep anything anymore.

If my PC forgets what your PC's name is it's because they rarely speak. If my PC doesn't know your PCs name it's because he didn't ask or didn't get told.