Author Topic: Let's Improve The What You Would Know Page  (Read 950 times)

nauta

Let's Improve The What You Would Know Page
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:29:32 AM »
Some discussion has come up on discord and in external reviews about the What You Would Know page.  This is a stab at brainstorming some ways of improving it.  Here are two things to bear in mind: On the one hand, FOIC (find out in-character) is our mantra from the very beginning for a reason: it is fun to discover things inside the game.  On the other hand, a common concern from new players is that OOCI brings about ICC, that is, out-of-character ignorance brings about in-character consequences.  So, for instance, if you do not know that you should show respect to templars, then this is OOCI, and it brings about very real ICC.  Fortunately, What You Would Know lists this.  But it isn't even the actionable consequences: it is the frustration of portraying a character who SHOULD know something but doesn't, because of OOC ignorance.  That's the frustration that I'd like to see alleviated somewhat.

TWO IMPORTANT THINGS:
1. Importantly, this list should be things that your average, slightly ignorant, Zalanthan would and should know.  It is not what your grizzled, forty-year hunter would and should know.  Unfortunately, I think a new player will have to start with an average commoner, and work their way up to discovering grizzledness at a later date.  That's fine.
2. If it is a grey area or borderline, opt to exclude it rather than include it.

First, here's the current text from What You Would Know:
The What You Know topics are intended to provide players with a sense of what their character would and would not know, based on their place of origin. If you have questions that aren't answered by the document, please feel free to contact a helper, or post the question on the discussion board.

It is highly recommended that new players make their first character from Allanak. Opportunities for jobs, friends, and other interaction are limited in other locations.

General Knowledge:
The following important facts will be familiar to anyone either from the cities, or who commonly enters them. Only the most naive or inexperienced tribals will not have heard rumors and stories of how the cities work.

Please note that Tuluk is CLOSED to PC play. It still exists in a virtual sense, but it is not a place that you can play as a PC.
Anyone in any position of power is almost certainly corrupt and everyone knows it.
Militia soldiers (who also act as the city's police force) are paid a pittance and yet live fairly well. Everyone assumes this is because they are corrupt and taking bribes.
No one in their right mind in either city-state would openly complain about any type of corruption in the militia or templarate. In Tuluk, those who do simply vanish without a trace. In Allanak, those who do are generally publicly tortured.
In Tuluk, it is not an insult to call someone a thief or assassin. It is an insult of grave proportions to call them an amateur thief or amateur assassin.
People are (rightfully) frightened of the templarate in both cities. Rumors of people vanishing in the night abound in Tuluk and keep complaints out of public forums. Constant displays of ferocious violence in Allanak keep pretty much everyone quiet in public. Those who are captured and value their lives generally know that both bribes and shows of respect for their captors are their only hope of survival.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.
Luir's Outpost is a place that people from either Allanak or Tuluk might visit, as well as many tribal peoples. It's known that House Kurac is the sole authority in Luir's Outpost and that unlawful behavior is usually punished by death.
For details on 'What You Know' for specific regions, see the following topics:

Allanak Details   Tuluk Details   Luir's Outpost Details
Labyrinth Details   Tablelands Details   Red Storm Village Details

Here's a proposal for a new page, including the old stuff (new stuff in bold):

Please note that Tuluk is CLOSED to PC play. It still exists in a virtual sense, but it is not a place that you can play as a PC.

Anyone in any position of power is almost certainly corrupt and everyone knows it.

Militia soldiers (who also act as the city's police force) are paid a pittance and yet live fairly well. Everyone assumes this is because they are corrupt and taking bribes.

No one in their right mind in either city-state would openly complain about any type of corruption in the militia or templarate. In Tuluk, those who do simply vanish without a trace. In Allanak, those who do are generally publicly tortured.

In Tuluk, it is not an insult to call someone a thief or assassin. It is an insult of grave proportions to call them an amateur thief or amateur assassin.

People are (rightfully) frightened of the templarate in both cities. Rumors of people vanishing in the night abound in Tuluk and keep complaints out of public forums. In Allanak, it would be wise to bow to templars, and in Tuluk it is customary to display some form of respect, although it is not always necessary to bow.  The same holds true of nobles in both city-states.

Constant displays of ferocious violence in Allanak keep pretty much everyone quiet in public. Those who are captured and value their lives generally know that both bribes and shows of respect for their captors are their only hope of survival.

Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Luir's Outpost is a place that people from either Allanak or Tuluk might visit, as well as many tribal peoples. It's known that House Kurac is the sole authority in Luir's Outpost and that unlawful behavior is usually punished by death.  In recent times, the other Great Merchant Houses (Salarr, Kadius, and Nenyuk) together with Kurac have established a militia of sorts at the Outpost, known as the Garrison.

Literacy is illegal or unknown for most people on the face of Zalanthas. It is considered treason for common citizens to possess such knowledge within the city-states of Zalanthas. [meant to over the basics of literacy, from help read]

Women and men are equal on Zalanthas.  There is no sexism on Zalanthas; women and men are treated equally. [meant to cover the basics of sexism, from the 'Gender' section of the Chargen page.]

Zalanthans tend to be very xenophobic, both with respect to other species, and with respect to those outside their city and/or tribe.  Humans, for instance, distrust elves, and elves, in return, view humans as inferior.  However, racism, in the modern sense, is non-existent in Zalanthas.  [Meant to cover species-ism and tribalism]

Zalanthas is a world where sorcerer-kings and their ruthless servants, the Templarate, govern the two main cities, Allanak and Tuluk. Any magick not granted by the Kings is feared and hated, and the punishment of such a curse might be death.
[meant to cover the basics of anti-magick, from main website]

In addition to the above brief points, which are expanded upon in the various help files and documentation, what follows is a list of common terms, as well as common uniforms or livery associated with different Houses or groups that your character would likely recognize:

Related to magick (see HELP MAGICK):

gemmer/gemmed - magicker from Allanak, recognizable by the dull black gem they wear around their neck as a sign of their service to the Highlord and His City
witch/gick - magicker in general
rogue - slang for ungemmed magicker
bender/mindworm - psionicist, very rare, very mysterious (see HELP PSIONICIST)
ashlayer/defiler - sorcerer, very rare, very mysterious (see HELP SORCERER)
Suk-Krath - the Sun, also the magick element associated with fire
Whira - wind, also the magick element associated with wind; traditionally associated with luck as well
Ruk - earth, also the magick element of earth
Drov - darkness/shadows, also the magick element of darkness or shadows; also slang for hell or the afterlife
Vivadu - water, also the magick element of water
Elkros - energy, lightning, thunder, also the magick element of energy
Nilaz - void, nothingness, undeath, also the magick element of the void
krathian/krathi, whiran, rukkian, drovian, vivaduan, elkrosian, nilazi - terms for magickal users

Common terms:

stump - dwarf
sharpear - elf
breed - half-elf
roundear - elf term for human
duneblood - a tribal
dunetongue - bendune, the language of tribals
argosy - huge wagon, like a moving house
bynner/browncloak/shitcloak - a mercenary of the T'zai Byn
grebber - a person who mines, forages for salt, or in general collects natural resources; a very common profession in Allanak
sid - obsidian coins
large - a thousand coins
small - a hundred coins
cord - about fifteen inches (see HELP MEASUREMENT)
league - in game slang for a room size in the wild (use with caution as rooms do not have a 'defined' size, see HELP MEASUREMENT)
week - in game slang for real life day (see HELP TIME)
Jihae - a common name for the red moon
Lirathu - a common name for the white moon
shade and profits - More general form for farewell, often used by people in the greater merchant houses
shade and water - farewell used by tribals
smooth sands - same
shade - farewell used by pretty much everyone
kank - slang for shit/fuck, mythical riding beast of olden times (see HELP CURSES)
krath - slang for shit/fuck, also the Sun (Suk-Krath) and the magickal element (see HELP CURSES)

Common terms for citizens of Allanak:

Vrun Driath - the area around Allanak
Gol Krathu - the area around Tuluk
His Shadow - Allanaki term for farewell
Highlord - Tektolnes, the sorcerer-king who rules Allanak, His City
The Dragon - often used to refer to the Highlord
His Arm/Arm of the Dragon - the militia and soldiers of His City
templar - Highlord's personal guard that performs His Will and executes His Laws.  It is usual to bow to templars
blue robe - one of the lowest rank of templars, and in general who players interact with, recognizable by the blue templar robes and silver rings
red robe - a higher rank of templar, very rare, and involved in high decisions, recognizable by the red templar robes
black robe - an even higher rank of templar, very very very rare, recognizable by the black templar robes
Lord/Lady Templar - honorific used when addressing a templar, e.g., "Yes, Lord Templar."
noble - a respected class of people in Allanak, recognizable by their silver rings; it is usual to bow to nobles in Allanak
Lord/Lady - honorific used when addressing a noble, often with the House, e.g., "Yes, Lord Fale."
aide - a respected personal assistant to a person of note, be it for a noble or a templar
merchant/overseer/crew leader - honorifics for respected persons within certain Great Merchant Houses
rinther/rinthi - someone from the Labyrinth in Allanak, usually extremely poor, often a criminal

Note: With the exception of noble lords and ladies and the Templarate, most people in Zalanthas are not worthy of honorific titles, e.g., mister, miss, sir, ma'am, and so on (see HELP TITLES).  For more information on the social structure of Allanak, see HELP ALLANAK HIERARCHY. For more information on fashion, see HELP ALLANAKI FASHIONS.

In addition to the above, most groups have a recognizable livery or uniform:

a hooded, red-trimmed black duster - Luir's Outpost Garrison
a hooded, coal-black sandcloth dustcloak - Kurac
a hooded, dun-colored dustcloak - Kurac
a long, crested ebon/grey silk dustcloak - Salarr
an orange cloth epaulette - Salarr
a formal grey collar - Salarr
a black leather and steel-grey sandcloth greatcloak - Salarr
an oiled, decorated leather aba - Kadius
a pair of blue and purple armbands - Kadius
a gemstone-embroidered sandcloth djellabah - Kadius
a hooded brown military aba - T'zai Byn
a pair of one-striped studded sleeves - T'zai Byn Trooper
a pair of two-striped studded sleeves - T'zai Byn Sergeant
a leather collar with the <house> sigil - Gladiator (the sigil is that of their owning House)
a black leather patch with a jade cross - Arm of the Dragon
a hooded black militia dustcloak - standard militia uniform (Arm of the Dragon)
a grey, wyvern-adorned hooded aba - Borsail
a hooded, crimson linen aba - Borsail
a hooded, black and azure aba - Oash
various scorpion-emblazoned cloaks - Tor
a white and grey bisht - Atrium (see House Terash)

Allanak Details   Tuluk Details   Luir's Outpost Details
Labyrinth Details   Tablelands Details   Red Storm Village Details

Thanks to Voular and lots of others.  Liveries/uniform information is drawn from the Submission here: http://www.armageddon.org/original/author/Armageddon%20Collaborative%20Commu

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:07:41 AM by nauta »
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

azuriolinist

Re: Let's Improve The What You Would Know Page
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:06:51 AM »
What you have seems pretty extensive so far. I like the idea of including the Common Clan Liveries in the 'What You Should Know' help. In addition add to that, I think we should append Gemmers underneath -- at least -- Allanak's sub-group, along with a link to their helpfile.

Molten Heart

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »
Some basic information on The Garrison in Luir's Outpost would be useful (what they do, their colors, their relationship to other clans in Luir's, etc)

nauta

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:09:03 AM »
Some basic information on The Garrison in Luir's Outpost would be useful (what they do, their colors, their relationship to other clans in Luir's, etc)

Yeah, with Garrison and Gladiators I'm not even sure myself what the IC marks are.  I definitely think a commoner in Allanak would be able to recognize a Gladiator (is it a slave collar of a certain sort?), and since we've already included the livery of other Kuraci/Salarri/Kadian folk in that Documentation Submission, we might as well include Garrison, although I don't know their livery.

I've updated the top post, organized it a bit -- thanks to both of you.  I'm not sure about the organization just yet so comments on that would be nice.  We don't want to overwhelm.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

azuriolinist

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »
Hopefully, this isn't crossing any rules, but here's what I could find of the Gladiator and Garrison livery:

a leather collar with the <house> sigil - Gladiator (the sigil is that of their owning House)
a hooded, red-trimmed black duster - Luir's Outpost Garrison

deskoft

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 12:28:22 PM »
The question is if a commoner in Allanak WOULD even know about the Garrison and I think no.  Shit, I'd even make the argument some in Luir's don't know what the heck the Garrison is.

Rahnevyn

• Storyteller
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
The most common mistake I see in new player applications is literacy. I notice the "What you know" page doesn't mention almost nobody is literate anywhere. You guys want to crowd-write a bullet for that?
Quote from: Rock
Scissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

deskoft

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 12:35:41 PM »
Yeah that's far more important than to recognize a noble IMHO.

Namino

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 02:16:51 PM »
Garrison officers also get fancy star insignia based on their rank. Captain and up I believe. Two, three, and four stars for Captain, Marshall, and Commander iirc.

nauta

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I've updated the toppost to reflect these things.  In my view, we already have stuff about Kuraci wearing Dun Cloaks, so I don't see why there'd be a problem with including the Garrison cloaks under common knowledge.  We don't include ranks for Salarr/Kadius/Kurac (except signet rings for the family members), so I don't think we should include the star stuff.

What about the Doyen and the Champion Gladiator?  Common knowledge, or no?  I'm inclined to say 'no'...

What about House Terash / Atrium?  Would there be uniforms (the bishts?) associated with members and is there some mark that is common knowledge associated with House Terash teachers?  Or would this not be common knowledge?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:07:49 PM by nauta »

Riev

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »
The Terashi symbol is seen enough on some fancier people in certain areas that I think people would know "Oh hey that's those fancy training fucks". Beyond knowing what they're symbol and typical bisht looks like, I don't think it needs more.

Doyen and Champions change often enough that it SHOULD be on the Rumor Boards (and sometimes is). That can be helpful to those who would pay attention to it. I like to know that Vince McMahon isn't in charge anymore, and Triple H took the helm.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 05:30:35 PM »
Wow good work Nauta.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 02:55:45 AM »
Awesome stuff!

A few things, though:

- a cord is about fifteen inches. (http://armageddon.org/help/view/Units%20of%20Measurement)

- And when it comes to the slang 'black' for coin, I think (and I could be wrong), that is generally a term mostly used by groups who don't tend to use Allanaki coin as currency. I don't think it's something that's commonly used where coin is the default currency. I think that most of the citizens of Allanak or other settlements that regularly use coin actually wouldn't know this.

- 'a silver signet ring' is a Templar's signet ring and not House Tor's. [redacted some stuff just in case]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:06:17 AM by 9001 »

Sorry

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 03:40:25 AM »
Awesome thread :) This is good too: http://armageddon.org/help/view/Allanak%20Hierarchy

Also noble house equivalent to that merchant house guide that was linked: https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Allanaki%20Clans

bender/mindworm - psionicist (see HELP PSIONICIST)
ashlayer/defiler - sorcerer (see HELP SORCERER)

Maybe it should be stressed that this is more the kind of things the 'in the know' segment of society would be aware of?

- I have only seen templars use the term rogue (it implies that other gickers are acceptable/normal by the turn of phrase) but it may be more common with other people I don't know

- Bender and mindworm seems a big grey area where you can get the name openly from the help file but from the way I've seen people roleplay it, they are meant to be mostly considered a myth with the general populace? I think the casual tone of bender in particular is more a kind of noble/templar/high society commoners term? But there's no doc to establish where the canon on this is it seems like? And even people who know their existence is 'real' (and many still doubt it even after being told stories? People who've heard about them still consider them terrifying and strange with the ability to place curses probably associated with dark powers, etc (and maybe they can, I think they are meant to be one of those mysteries of the world that we shouldn't take too much for granted)

- Ashlayer/defiler isn't something people really talk about openly and is often even be considered bad luck to say the words or names or even be directly summoning their presence by speaking of such great evil - but it does seem that they are more widely known and accepted that they exist than mindworms since their actions in contrast are so blatant and hard to ignore that anyone who's seen them speaks of them for years after

( These are my fairly newbie impressions... I worry that it'd take a lot of the mystique if people got introduced to these kind of things straight away after joining the game, it's so fun to hear for the first time about terrifying strange things :) I would have hated if I got directed to those help files after joining the game, the fact you have to know what they are to look up the help file is a cool thing that doesn't throw you right into the mysteries of the world straight away )

[Anti-Tribalism] "Those from Allanak generally view those not from Allanak as inferior, especially tribals."

Oh and also at the same time, some tribals (depending on the tribe and people) view people from the cities with distrust and even fear, visitors may be treated as trespassers or invaders, and Allanak is known as the black pit, Luirs as the dun pit and Tuluk as the white pit (Tulukis with appropriate tattoos and outfits are also still creatable, and also have very different viewpoints on a lot of things):
What would tribal-background PCs that aren't part of a coded tribe think of members of the coded tribes like Al'Seik, Arabet and Tan Muark?

One of the best things about playing around and with the "canon" tribes is that you get to decide this for your own virtual tribe. When you visualize your PCs virtual tribe, be sure to answer those questions, especially if your tribe is from somewhere you would interact with them regularly.

How does my tribe feel about...
... the Arabet
... the Seik
... the Tan Muark
... the Blackwing Elves
... the SLK
... the Sun Runners
... Tuluk (the White Pit)
... Allanak (the Black Pit)
... Luirs (the Dun Pit)
... Kadius
... Salarr
... Kurac
... Magickers
... Dwarves
... Muls

The answers to "How the [tribe] feel about others" makes a great Bio entry that can help inform your own roleplay as well as help staff understand your PC better.

I don't think shade and profits is a tribal thing more a merchant thing, I'm not sure what are considered proper tribal greetings and goodbyes
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 04:11:22 AM by Sorry »
"YOU'RE PURSUING SOMETHING YOU SHOULDN'T PURSUE. 'WHY' IS A QUESTION FOR LATER. ALL SHALL BE WELL AND ALL SHALL BE WELL AND ALL SHALL BE WELL AND ALL SHALL BE WELL AND A RECKONING IS NOT TO BE POSTPONED INDEFINITELY."

nauta

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 06:17:57 AM »
Awesome stuff!

A few things, though:

- a cord is about fifteen inches. (http://armageddon.org/help/view/Units%20of%20Measurement)

- And when it comes to the slang 'black' for coin, I think (and I could be wrong), that is generally a term mostly used by groups who don't tend to use Allanaki coin as currency. I don't think it's something that's commonly used where coin is the default currency. I think that most of the citizens of Allanak or other settlements that regularly use coin actually wouldn't know this.

- 'a silver signet ring' is a Templar's signet ring and not House Tor's. [redacted some stuff just in case]

Even though the rings were on the old clan livery page, I think that's a little more than what the commoner would know.  That nobles and templars and GMH family members wear rings, sure.  But what, not so sure.

I also removed 'black' since now that I think about it I think those are tribal slang.

nauta

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 06:23:38 AM »
Awesome thread :) This is good too: http://armageddon.org/help/view/Allanak%20Hierarchy

I've included those links.

bender/mindworm - psionicist (see HELP PSIONICIST)
ashlayer/defiler - sorcerer (see HELP SORCERER)
[/quote]

These are good points, I'll sit on it.  Ask yourself this: Would your commoner PC respond to someone using those words with: "Bender?  What's that?  Never heard of that word before?"  They might not know exactly what all benders/ashlayers do, but I'm tempted to say they would at least know that ashlayers/defilers are the bad magick guys and bender/mindworms the dudes who fuck with your thoughts. 

I don't think shade and profits is a tribal thing more a merchant thing, I'm not sure what are considered proper tribal greetings and goodbyes
Updated.

Veselka

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 02:32:24 AM »
I would say it isn't the 'norm' for people in the South to bow to Nobles. It is 100% required, unless between Nobles or Templars. It's a formality in Tuluk, and a respectful nod or what not was typically acceptable. But it may be misleading to new players to make it seem like it's just  'customary'. It should be made clear it's necessary.

nauta

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
I would say it isn't the 'norm' for people in the South to bow to Nobles. It is 100% required, unless between Nobles or Templars. It's a formality in Tuluk, and a respectful nod or what not was typically acceptable. But it may be misleading to new players to make it seem like it's just  'customary'. It should be made clear it's necessary.

Thanks -- I adjusted the wording a bit.

And thanks to everyone else in this thread and on discord.  You'll see a heavily revised/re-organized version on the top post above.  Note that I also included 4 bullet points to the main text, meant to give new players the gist of what I think are common pitfalls on four main areas (all of these are just quotes from somewhere else in the help files):

* on illiteracy
* on no sexism
* on xenophobia (species-ism/tribal vs. city)
* on anti-magick

Any other 'biggies'?

MarshallDFX

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »
I appreciate the slang and common phrases section.  I hate sounding like a newbie.

On the greeting front, couple other common ones

His Shadow - Allanaki term for farewell
Smooth Sands - Farewell
Shade - Farewell

Should we include clan specific phrases?  To be honest I'm not the best one to know them.  So these are off the top of my head.

Blood n' sid (Byn)
Something and profit (Kadius)
Honour and Glory (Tor)

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 06:08:52 PM »
Its shade and profits  (all gmh)
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 06:18:55 PM »
Generally it's

Shade and water (regular amos and malik)
Shade and profits (merchants)
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Lizzie

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 08:33:37 AM »
Generally it's

Shade and water (regular amos and malik)
Shade and profits (merchants)

This.

It started out as a tribalesque blessing: Shade and Water - meaning, "May you always find shade and water in this harsh desert world where it's really easy to die of thirst."

The GMHs shifted it slightly into "Shade and Profits" as more of a tongue-in-cheek parody, but it caught on and stuck. Presumably "Water and Profits" would be much more meaningful and more of a "kind blessing", but it doesn't flow as poetically.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

nauta

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
Thanks.

I'm wondering if we should also include a line for hunters... I've heard a number of people now complain (roughly) about how FOIC is stupid for basic knowledge of hunting things, and I gotta agree: who in their right mind who grew up in Allanak sits down at the Gaj and goes: Hey! What animals are out there that I can hunt?  Discovering more fine-grained details would be find out ic (how tough they are, etc.)...  That said, the help files already explain where an animal is from and its danger, its just a matter of organizing it into one spot: Animals around Allanak or something... so here's a stab:

While most citizens never leave the gates, those few who hunt do, and they would bring back stories of fierce scrab, massive black 'drov' beetles, both prized for their chitin and shell, as well as enormous tarantulas and spiders, whose razor-sharp fangs are valuable to merchants, in the deserts immediately around Allanak, as well as poisonous scorpions and building-sized mekillots in the salt flats further east.  Smaller game exists as well: jozhal, chalton, and desert rat, for instance.  (See help animal life.)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:07:54 AM by nauta »

MarshallDFX

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 02:23:46 PM »
I completely agree with this point on hunters.  I can vouch for being too cowardly to play a hunter because it'll be going right back to newb square one, totally lost and ignorant, and at the same time needing to play one because I'll forever be a newb if I don't.  I'd very much appreciate a concise summary of this information.

What about general directions to cities or farming villages.  Always embarrassing when my pc from yaroch forgets exactly where Yaroch is.  For villages surely we can be somewhat specific, but for Luirs or other places nothing like 'directions', just 'specific enough' instructions like, "go north from this landmark until you reach ... "  Just something more than http://armageddon.org/help/view/Map%20Zalanthas

Vets have the benefit of being able to include this knowledge in their background, or choose to play ignorant of it.  I think some more help is totally reasonable.