Author Topic: Useful OOC/Meta Commands for a New Player  (Read 435 times)

nauta

Useful OOC/Meta Commands for a New Player
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »
A. I was reading the walkthrough and thinking about ooc commands that a new player would want to know. http://www.armageddon.org/intro/walkthrough.php The walkthrough is amazing, but I noticed that analyze, assess (-v) and keyword aren't listed, and those are three big ones. Can you think of any others that a new player might want to know --- commands that there'd be no realistic way of explaining while staying in-character?  (Note: Please limit these to commands NOT in the Walkthrough already.)

B. I also think we might want to move the 'Quit' section to the top of the walkthrough or include it in the e-mail you receive when your application has been approved.  Something like: "ArmageddonMUD is a persistent world.  In order to log out, you will need to use the quit command in a quit safe room, labelled with 'Quit', or the quit ooc command."

C. I also think we should include that walkthrough in the e-mail you receive when your application is approved.

D. Any other suggestions?  I was thinking we might want a basic guide to writing a character report, or a guide to the report tool as well.

Here's what we've come up with:

assess -v - Not sure where to fit it, but this command is very useful for (a) determining bow strength, (b) combat, and (c) determining which tool to use for a job.

analyze - Not sure where to fit this, but very useful for crafting!

keyword - This can go in the 'Keywords:' section of Page 1 AND ALSO the 'Targeting and Keywords' section of Communication.

stat - This can go in the 'Attributes/Stats:' section of Page 1.

change color - Perhaps put this in the 'Prompt:' section of Page 1 and change that section to 'Prompt/Colors'.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:34:40 AM by nauta »
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

azuriolinist

Re: Useful OOC/Meta Commands for a New Player
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »
I've seen a couple of reviews wherein new players were upset with the lack of color in Arm. I think change color and change color default should be in the Walkthrough, just because of the number of times I've seen that same complaint.

stat should also be included, perhaps alongside score. It's an important command!

look tables is another command that might be handy to a new player, but it would probably be more suited in the 'Exploring' section of the Intro.

nauta

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:29:18 AM »
I've seen a couple of reviews wherein new players were upset with the lack of color in Arm. I think change color and change color default should be in the Walkthrough, just because of the number of times I've seen that same complaint.

stat should also be included, perhaps alongside score. It's an important command!

look tables is another command that might be handy to a new player, but it would probably be more suited in the 'Exploring' section of the Intro.

look tables is in the Guide under 'Communication'.  The other suggestions are not, so I'll add them to the growing list in the top post.  Thanks!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

azuriolinist

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:25 AM »
Huh, missed that. My bad!

Also, Nyr had a pretty good write-up for character reports here.

Molten Heart

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:49:35 AM »
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:33:14 AM by Molten Heart »