Raider etiquette

Started by Eyeball, February 16, 2018, 09:51:17 AM

I've had it happen, but rarely, and it wasn't raiders who were part of an organized outfit, but just random opportunists who saw and recognized a newbie.

As a good rule of thumb, if you can't ride without falling off, try and stay away from other people out in the sand.

I barely see people emote outside of taverns, so Im not sure why raiding would be any different.

Quote from: Krath on February 16, 2018, 12:26:51 PM
As someone who has played many, many, many raiders over the years, I can tell you three things:

You're back???!!!!  :o

Quote from: solera on February 19, 2018, 10:03:38 PM
Quote from: Krath on February 16, 2018, 12:26:51 PM
As someone who has played many, many, many raiders over the years, I can tell you three things:

You're back???!!!!  :o

Ohhh Krath!   ;)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Quote from: Fernandezj on February 19, 2018, 05:27:10 PM
I barely see people emote outside of taverns, so Im not sure why raiding would be any different.

This isn't my experience at all. Many people emote often and well. Some players emote less than others do. In my experience, players sometimes tend to emote more when they're around frequent emoters. Maybe be cooler and people will be cool around you.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

Most of my emotes are on aliases.

Flair1 (em skillfully probes the inside of his nose with a dirty finger)
Flair2 (em scratches his crotch)
etc.

An important part of each character is that first few hours where I'm rebuilding those lists and making the character come alive.

I have a set for fighting, a set for flair, a set for post-combat, etc.

Quote from: Miradus on February 20, 2018, 06:53:28 PM
Most of my emotes are on aliases.

Flair1 (em skillfully probes the inside of his nose with a dirty finger)
Flair2 (em scratches his crotch)
etc.

An important part of each character is that first few hours where I'm rebuilding those lists and making the character come alive.

I have a set for fighting, a set for flair, a set for post-combat, etc.

Hey, that's a pretty cool idea, I'll have to try that sometime.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

I'd argue that a good raider is patient and a great raider needn't be. Honestly, some of the most brutal raiding experiences were the ones I walked up on because I was trusting someone unduly in a desert where in addition to raiders there's rogue witches, mind worms, slavers, gith, and anakore (which at a distance could look like a person, apparently). I think etiquette only becomes very thin  when you ride up, wordlessly, and try to murder the victim for doing something innocent like grebbing or hunting as opposed to using magick, etc.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Best raider experience I've had recently was getting knocked off my mount by a thrown weapon out of nowhere. The raid then proceeded with me sitting on my ass absolutely unable to run before they could finish me off.

I think raiders need more coded options to keep you from easily being able to flee like this than any sort of etiquette. This was before threaten was even a thing.

I say this because before that occurrence I had perfect success avoiding raiders by simply walking away.

I have had great success using chase and then rping to avoid victims just spamming towards the gates without danger.

You have every right to attempt to use code to escape, as does the raider to outright attempt to kill you if you do.

Threaten is awesome and conducive to rp as well.

Yeah, threaten and chase are amazing additions.  Threaten in particular.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I like threaten but I think there's still a lot of confusion as to what actions will trigger it and what won't.

I threaten a guy, he complies, but stands up to open his pack ... BAM. I attack him.

For that reason alone I started not using it. As a raider, it wasn't important to me to actually rob someone. It was only important to have them know they COULD end up being robbed. If they got away then they got away. Particularly when I didn't want to fill out another PK report. I am almost 1 for 1 on kudos from people I killed, yet regularly get negative feedback from staff regarding those same kills. (There's a disconnect in what staff wants in a game, and wants from players. But that's not raider related.)

Its been my experience that killing is welcomed, just they like to know about it.  Preferably before if its possible.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Yeah, nobody likes a simple *ding*, it's the thrill of the chase, not the conclusion, sometimes, to facilitate that you sacrifice the element of surprise, sometimes, you draw it out, sometimes, REALLY far.
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

I think If you've ran once from a raider if they come in the next time and pop you and that's it, I agree. Don't run from raiders, they will RP (most of the time).
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

I've never run from raiders, that doesn't mean they won't leave you crawling after they fuck you up, if you're lucky...

One person's opinion:

Run or don't run, whatever your character would do. Trust the raider's character to respond however they would respond, as a character. If you submit and are killed anyway? Trust that the raider had some reason!

This game is a lot more fun when you just play your character and assume that other people are playing theirs.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.