Author Topic: Skill Changes  (Read 612 times)

Brokkr

• Administrator
Skill Changes
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:35:49 PM »
Threaten for a bit now has been a skill on heavy combat guilds, as a skill.  The skill increases the chance that the skill activates, up from the 35% base skill level.

As of today there are a few skills that will be easier to branch, although the maximums remain the same.  The game will not automatically update your character with any branch, you will need to use/fail the skill for the branch to happen if you happen to be above the new branching level.

In general, this applies to lumberjacking, archery and cross bow use.  Wanted to let you know so that you don't think it is some sort of issue, but do let me know any issues you do encounter!

Brokkr

• Administrator
Re: Skill Changes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »
Fighters start with and soldiers can eventually get the new skill hack.  Looking for feedback of the players of these classes over the next few weeks on what they think of the skill.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 11:50:17 PM »
We did a number of tweaks over the weekend.

Most were tweaks to which skill level some skills branched at, making a handful of skills slightly easier to branch.

Stalker was changed to make charge branch from ride.  If you are a stalker and haven't reached that branch point yet, charge will likely disappear from your skill list next time you use it.  If you have reached that point, it should remain.

Laborer was changed to add hack as a branched skill.

Fence was changed to add poisoning as a branched skill.  Hopefully this will shore up the slight weakness they had and add an interesting dynamic.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 01:35:00 AM »
Bandage was removed from Miscreant, as they needed to be toned down slightly.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »
As you may have seen, now significantly easier to two hand ride with a shield.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »
Scouts and Adventurers...have you notices in the last several days that you regen a different number of moves than normal?  Sort of like rangers, but a different number....

If someone would confirm, that would be great.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 03:36:52 AM »
Scouts and Adventurers...have you notices in the last several days that you regen a different number of moves than normal?  Sort of like rangers, but a different number....

If someone would confirm, that would be great.

How recently has this change been made? I think mine seems to regen faster... though it looks to be by the same amount.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »
May 13th, 2018

(Nessalin)
-Added some new code related to the new guilds.

I was able to confirm.  Scouts and Adventurers regen a different number of movement points than normal guilds (or rangers).

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 04:27:28 PM »
I'll hit you up via request with actual numbers, but I'm pretty sure it has.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 03:58:48 AM »
Most wilderness classes now have wilderness version of listen.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »
Most wilderness classes now have wilderness version of listen.

Not sure I'm a fan of breaking down listen between the two. There are very few cases listen will ever actually be used in the wilderness.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:26:01 AM »
That would mean wilderness doesnít get listen, at all.  And thus the wilderness dimension of the listen skillas it exists today would be lost.

Klendathu

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 03:10:17 AM »
Is it possible to expand Listen so that there's more things to actually hear, particularly in the wilderness? I've only ever used it for eavesdropping outside of rooms (or other tables). The only "wilderness" use I can recall is being able to hear people talking on the walls of Luir's from within the Bailey. And this is assuming Luirs is coded as Wilderness rooms, based on how storms there behave(d).

For example, what if outdoor movement gave an echo that Listen could pick up? The sound of a twig snapping, salt cracking, rocks tumbling down a slope.

Right now I'm struggling to come up with a use for Wilderness Listen. Assuming there is no meaningful one, splitting Listen between Wilderness and City just acts as a nerf to the Wilderness-based classes. Personally I liked the idea of a character whose instincts have been "honed" by the wilderness, allowing them to perceive better within the City. Granted, in Listen's case I don't think you could actually raise the skill outside the city, so this is just fluff justification for why a Ranger can hear real good...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:14:56 AM by Klendathu »

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 06:45:47 AM »
Most people used listen in the wilderness to detect certain stealth activities.  That is the reason we simply didn't leave listen off completely for the wilderness competencies.

tapas

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 07:46:55 AM »
Instead of making it a skill, you could just give wilderness characters a passive bonus to stealth detection. And personally I could without making one more skill to train.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 11:00:07 AM »
I thought about it, but given the way stealth works there isnít a good way to handle that which incorporates differing levels of stealth in a good way.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 04:22:09 PM »
Most people used listen in the wilderness to detect certain stealth activities.  That is the reason we simply didn't leave listen off completely for the wilderness competencies.

I'm wracking my brain on what stealth activities you're talking about and I can only think of one thing, and it's no different than what is used in the city.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 12:14:19 AM »
Based on tester feedback, the following changes have been made to Pilferer:

Toolmaking and dyeing have been added as starting skills.

Fletchery, bow making and jewelrymaking have been added as branching skills.

The order of sleight of hand and steal have been reversed, such that steal is now a starting skill and sleight of hand is a branching skill.