What You Liked About Tuluk

Started by Cind, February 07, 2018, 07:54:22 AM

Quote from: Riev on April 01, 2019, 11:41:46 AM
For a hard rule about "trash cannot even touch His Chosen without penalty of law", there certainly were a lot of Noble players who just wanted to break that rule and make sexy times with the common trash.

Despite having access to licensed and bought pleasure slaves.

Not that I ever partook myself, but that's soooooooooo completely realistic, and it can be demonstrated innumerable times across history and such a broad range of cultures that I don't understand why you even bring this up.

Quote from: Riev on April 01, 2019, 11:41:46 AM
For a hard rule about "trash cannot even touch His Chosen without penalty of law", there certainly were a lot of Noble players who just wanted to break that rule and make sexy times with the common trash.

Despite having access to licensed and bought pleasure slaves.

Raleris Winrothol deserves better than this.  :'(

I always felt like taboos should be dealt with IC/IG rather than via forced storage. It leads to more plots, intrigue, corruption, betrayal, and eventually murder. How many stories revolve around the Noble who falls in love with a Commoner against his/her better judgements? Some might call it a sappy plot, but in a place like Zalanthas, I can see how the fallout from keeping such secrets would lead to many people's demises.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Veselka on April 01, 2019, 07:28:15 PM
I always felt like taboos should be dealt with IC/IG rather than via forced storage. It leads to more plots, intrigue, corruption, betrayal, and eventually murder. How many stories revolve around the Noble who falls in love with a Commoner against his/her better judgements? Some might call it a sappy plot, but in a place like Zalanthas, I can see how the fallout from keeping such secrets would lead to many people's demises.

+1
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Its funny I was thinking about Tuluki politics today. I still miss partisanship, being able to more easily get involved .

I do like the brutality of nakkie politics though, always a free aide spot open it seems. Ahaha :)

That has always seemed strange to me: the discardability of aides in Allanak. You would think that repercussions would be more severe, given the life expectancy. No one seems to take the roles because they bear the albatross of being the first in line for an enemy's ire.

Tuluk did very many things well, in my opinion. While forced storage, I will agree, for the things listed above seemed superfluous, I believe most nobles abided by the rules. This led to more plots having to revolve around creativity, drive, and patriotism as opposed to the ... constant pursuit of flesh, dead or alive, that seems to be abundant in Allanak.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

April 01, 2019, 10:58:52 PM #106 Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:00:43 PM by Namino
Part of me strongly agrees with forced storage in this scenario. The responsibility not to sleep with commoners was explicit before you took the special-app role as a feature of that application.

Consider any other special app role. If a special app'd Sergeant of the AOD never actually trained, led their soldiers, completed their duties, or performed any leadership, they'd be stored. If a Mul, who accepted they couldn't reproduce based on their special app, began power-emoting a pregnancy, they'd (probably) be stored. Roles come with restrictions and when those restrictions are designed to maintain narrative consistency sometimes the enforcement has to be OOC. If you weren't capable of refraining from sexual roleplay with people, then a noble in Tuluk was not the special app for you, and violating a basic agreement of a special app usually, afaik, results in storage.

There's some credence to solving things ICly, but in some cases, doing so comes at the cost of the thematic continuity of things. If every second week in Tuluk we had another 'secret lover' plot getting exposed, it really would have eroded the common/noble societal divide that was supposed to be fundamental there. Sort of hard to take the docs seriously when every single special app Karma role is just dumping on them in an IC way. Sacrificing thematic consistency for 100% of the playerbase so 10% of special app players can have a star-crossed lovers plot seems pretty bleh.

I miss the area, the critters and such.

Playing an outdoor character in Tuluk was much more fun than Allanak.

I also miss the halflings, even though I only had a few interactions with them, they were memorable and cool.

I did not enjoy having to run around with my mind barrier up constantly to not get discovered in my wrongdoings though.

April 02, 2019, 12:10:17 AM #108 Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:19:20 AM by Dresan
Quote from: boog on April 01, 2019, 10:48:54 PM
That has always seemed strange to me: the discardability of aides in Allanak. You would think that repercussions would be more severe, given the life expectancy. No one seems to take the roles because they bear the albatross of being the first in line for an enemy's ire.

I believe it is a trend that will fix itself. And when it does the game will be much stronger for it. If it doesn't the repercussions should continue to fall on the aides and their nobles, and eventually the houses for allowing themselves to look weak.

My tough and adventuring merchant was too rough and rugged for nobility to even glance at him. Its ironic that the templars, the people with the least need, often do it right in their pursuit of more power. I think there was one aide a long time ago that was a former byner or something, even competed in the arena. He survived until he promoted to elder aide or something.

I am not saying nobility should start trying to woo ex-byners or hunters into those positions. However, at the very least the aide should understand the position they are in, and should be trying to make the right connection in shady spots and be valuable to the people that will ensure they remain safe. I remember as a merchant in luirs, i had a meeting coming up and I asked a mul that was buying from him to do a job for him. All the mul had to do is carry a heavy bag, and basically guard him, staying silent and looking tough during negotiations in the meeting. Wow. A mul guarding my merchant, the meeting went great.

There are nakkie ninja alley elves with no jobs or clans, there are indie hunters, there are people that could potentially get involved who could be pulled from clans if they were offered some sort of opportunity for another type of indie career. Even if its just standing over the aide, keeping an eye out as they sit down with their friends to gossip or working to keep the aide well informed on the actions of their enemies/friends .

But no, half the time nobility seems just so far removed from the rest of allanak, practicing trickle down RP economics, with seemingly isolated RP otherwise and no desire to make allies outside their upper crust, despite the fact that the position comes with so many enemies from day 1. Again maybe this has changed somewhat, but this was my perception of nakkie politics every time I've tried to get involved.

April 02, 2019, 01:31:30 AM #109 Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 01:34:57 AM by Veselka
I don't think Tuluki politics were any different, it just took longer for things to climax. I think when Under Tuluk was around as a sort of lawless area, the risk was much more real.

And I agree, Tuluk got many things right, but unfortunately got too many things wrong. Or the players who were in charge of things at times were too heavy-handed and gauche in their approach. When Tuluk was great, it was the place I enjoyed the most to play in. I can't exactly enumerate why. I enjoyed the subtlety, I enjoyed the smile to your face and the dagger behind your back. I enjoyed that it seemed like everyone was your friend, and also secretly plotting with everyone else to see you dead. I enjoyed the bardic traditions, and the attention to poetry (Yes, even the bad poetry). I enjoyed the different Templarate orders, even though they were separated by birth gender, and I enjoyed even more the Templarate when it was unified and there were no Lirathans or Jihaens. I think Tuluk was finally getting to a place where it fit the game world, but unfortunately, it was too little (or too much, really) too late. If it had come to that point in 2006-2008, it may have been a different outcome. But our player base has changed, and aged, and the Staff has also changed its focus away from trying very hard to make Tuluk work. I don't blame them. It was what, a 12 year long experiment? At a certain point in a creative process, you have to admit when things just aren't working, and start over, or move to a project that you know has longevity (Allanak).

Allanak has its moments, and when it does, I enjoy playing the game. When it doesn't, or when I feel I haven't hit my stride in it, or PCs are in positions of power for long periods of time who I know I won't enjoy playing around, I tend to take an extended break. That's the price that is paid by only having one major City to play in, for better, and for worse. At least when it comes to me. Can't speak for others.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I loved how the vast majority of linkdead rangers would be sitting at the bars there and not where I usually play.

How colorful it was. How Tuluk actually thought of stealth/assassins as a full on art/talent. Tuluk and its ways. The badass ways to get shit out of your head. No magickers ANYWHERE besides all the rogue ones you get to kill. Tuluk was the shit, morins blows, my two cents.
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.