What You Liked About Tuluk

Started by Cind, February 07, 2018, 07:54:22 AM

Yeah, like I've said in the past, I liked Tuluk and want in back. BUT, I do agree that just a wee bit of support in the north would go a long way.

Apartments in Morin's.
2 Booths for private conversations in morin's tavern.
1 Sponsored Sarge who's allowed to recruit for the Legion, based out of the fort south of the span.
1 Sponsored Northern Templar/Noble who acts as an ambassador to Luir's Outpost, to counteract ambitions of Nakki's to control Luir's.

Just these 4 changes would bring back a LOT of the north/south dynamic that was GOOD, without having to support a huge city state that spread the population too thin. I've heard a lot of complaints just regarding the sheer size of Tuluk. And with a smaller playerbase, that makes sense. But I don't think it's a reason not to support ANY Tuluki's, elsewhere in the game where the population can be more concentrated.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

I already listed my case and everything I love about Tuluk in my thread about ReOpening the place.

I honestly think Allanak or Tuluk would come in and crush Luir's before it develops into it's own mini-city state as it has begun to do and I really can't think of any IC reason that isn't in the process of happening.  It's all OOC.

I definitely don't look at the situation they're in now and say "it's all OOC motivated", at all. Like people were fond of saying about Tuluk, just because you're not seeing it doesn't mean it's not there.

I can only speculate, but I can think of many reasons why Luir's is balanced on the knife-edge it is.

Economic power, for one. Together all four GMH wield a substantial amount. There could also be a lack of reward/gain to either City-State at this moment in time that is worth expending the necessary effort for a takeover. Pre-existing threats, other more currently demanding matters, could be taking precedence. I could go on. I think you will be a lot happier if you look for reasons why something might be the way it is, rather than decide that there can't possibly be any good reason at all.

November 20, 2018, 03:27:24 PM #78 Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:39:09 PM by Heade
One of the things I dislike most about the current situation is that, really, all that kept Luir's from being taken over by Tuluk or Allanak in the past has been the idea that, if either one started marching enough troops to take over the Outpost, the other side would be alerted and also march troops, because Tuluk couldn't abide Luir's being under Allanak control and vice versa.

I think that mutually assured destruction element of it, where, deciding to march on Luir's would almost certainly provoke the other side into marching as well, creates a situation where Luir's CAN thrive.

But the problem that I have with it, is with zero support not only for Tuluk, but also for Tuluki culture and representation in the game at all, that feeling of being in the middle between two powerful sides doesn't exist for Luir's. There is only one side, and there are no PCs that could "bring down the hammer" so to speak of the Northern City State. As the IC situation exists now, with Tuluk having essentially closed it's gates for a couple generations, I have absolutely no idea why Allanak doesn't come to "protect" Luir's, and basically take over.

It requires a huge suspension of disbelief that really wouldn't be necessary with just a TINY bit of support for Morin's/The Tuluki Fort.

EDIT: I mean, there are players in the game now, who are considered "experienced" players, who have no idea what it used to be like to be a southerner hunting the grasses around Tuluk. They have no idea that the area is supposed to be dangerous for southies. Or even gemmers. You have gemmed openly running around close to Tuluk. That shit never happened when Tuluk was open. The lack of an external threat to Allanak is negatively impacting people's perception of the gameworld. And the only thing "stopping" Allanaki PCs/NPCs from plotting a takeover of Luir's is an unsupported make believe city state whose leadership can't be interacted with by OOC mandate.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Players of northern loyalists have tried to make life around Tuluk dangerous for southerners with varying success, but yes, the lack of support for Tuluk-related plots makes that area of the game suffer when and if players of southerners/gemmed aren't responsible about remembering virtual and NPC threats.

I still suspect that if you were in the right position to find out, there would be many solid IC reasons why Luir's exists as it currently does.

Quote from: Delirium on November 20, 2018, 03:49:58 PM
when and if players of southerners/gemmed aren't responsible about remembering virtual and NPC threats.

Tuluk has been gone long enough that current players who could have 3 Karma don't know WHAT to remember. There is so very little information about Tuluk and the area around it that players who started since Tuluk closed can't be blamed for not "remembering". I mean, seriously, these players have been around now with Tuluk closed for a period of time exceeding the life of many MMORPGs.

Quote from: Delirium on November 20, 2018, 03:49:58 PMI still suspect that if you were in the right position to find out, there would be many solid IC reasons why Luir's exists as it currently does.

I'm aware of some of the other factors that would make it less than a cakewalk. But if you take away the Tuluki element, Luir's couldn't stand against Nak independently if Nak set their sights on it, even with those other factors. The volume of troops/witches/half-giants that Nak could throw at Luir's is simply overwhelming.

And if all else failed, deus ex volcano.

Quote from: Heade on November 20, 2018, 01:00:18 AM
Yeah, like I've said in the past, I liked Tuluk and want in back. BUT, I do agree that just a wee bit of support in the north would go a long way.

Apartments in Morin's.
1 Sponsored Sarge who's allowed to recruit for the Legion, based out of the fort south of the span.
1 Sponsored Northern Templar/Noble who acts as an ambassador to Luir's Outpost, to counteract ambitions of Nakki's to control Luir's.

Just these 4 changes would bring back a LOT of the north/south dynamic that was GOOD, without having to support a huge city state that spread the population too thin. I've heard a lot of complaints just regarding the sheer size of Tuluk. And with a smaller playerbase, that makes sense. But I don't think it's a reason not to support ANY Tuluki's, elsewhere in the game where the population can be more concentrated.

Quote from: Heade on November 20, 2018, 03:27:24 PM
You have gemmed openly running around close to Tuluk. That shit never happened when Tuluk was open.

Yea, it happened before, plenty.

Quote from: roughneck on November 20, 2018, 04:15:03 PM
You have gemmed openly running around close to Tuluk. That shit never happened when Tuluk was open.

Not without a Legion Unit led by a Jihean Templar going on a witch hunt. When Tuluk was open, sure, people did stupid shit, still. But not without consequence. Which reinforced the fact that it was, indeed, stupid. There is no such reinforcement now. So, those of us who remember those times recognize how stupid it is for gemmed to be riding carefree around the walls of Tuluk. But those who started playing in the last 4-5 years don't.

Yeah I'm going to have to agree with the consequence part. Discovering something witchy in the land around Tuluk was like a top 3 RP hook. Run inside find a Templar or a soldier or something and try to make yourself look loyal AF. Worked every time
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

I remember that. The kind of paranoia people automatically switched on in their brains was guaranteed, even if the same thing happened two weeks ago with a different witch. You'd be all like, shudder, I'm so glad I'm safe inside the city, or oh shit, I got to leave and go hunt to feed myself.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Heade on November 20, 2018, 01:00:18 AM

Apartments in Morin's.

This would rock, probably. I would love to see this given a test run.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Heade on November 20, 2018, 06:13:15 PM

Not without a Legion Unit led by a Jihean Templar going on a witch hunt. When Tuluk was open, sure, people did stupid shit, still. But not without consequence. Which reinforced the fact that it was, indeed, stupid. There is no such reinforcement now. So, those of us who remember those times recognize how stupid it is for gemmed to be riding carefree around the walls of Tuluk. But those who started playing in the last 4-5 years don't.

The gates ARE closed now. It makes sense that Tuluki presence in the surrounding lands would be a bit diminished.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Nao on November 22, 2018, 09:08:34 AM
Quote from: Heade on November 20, 2018, 06:13:15 PM

The gates are closed, but Tuluki's still come and go. And they maintain troops all over the region. The only difference is PCs are no longer allowed to play there to present that threat to people. The lowered "threat" in the area is completely caused by OOC, not IC events at all.

The gates ARE closed now. It makes sense that Tuluki presence in the surrounding lands would be a bit diminished.

Quote from: Dresan on November 19, 2018, 11:22:37 PM
To be honest, as someone who loved Tuluk, I wouldn't mind having the place disappear completely, in exchange for apartments at Morins.

Retconning something like Tuluk has been done, and I'm kinda emotionally against it.

Scenario:

Players and staff put a huge amount of effort into X.

Those players and staff trickle away.

New staff comes to power and does not respect the work that the people before them put in, ghosting whatever we're talking about.

For me, it's different if we're talking about overt IC actions (besides volcanomania), but retconning things that have been in the game for 20 years just doesn't seem to respect the work of those who came before and potentially deters new players from attempting to create.
Bear with me

Quote from: Bebop on November 20, 2018, 02:40:07 PM
I honestly think Allanak or Tuluk would come in and crush Luir's before it develops into it's own mini-city state as it has begun to do and I really can't think of any IC reason that isn't in the process of happening.  It's all OOC.

Luir's has been under Naki control before for an extended period of time, and its remote and defensible location, not to mention its new role as the nerve center for GMHs, would greatly deter attacks from city-states.
Bear with me

There is such a lack of vibrancy, momentum and clear opposition in the game without Tuluk and I believe it has had the opposite effect as desired.  I'm still mystified that the idea to close half of the core of the game was thought to be a solution therefore isolating all of the player base that almost exclusively played in Tuluk and a hub for unique clans like the Akei, Poet's Circle and so on.  You can't turn on half of your identity like a couple decades in.  I would love to see what would happen to WoW if they shut down the horde all of a sudden and decided it wasn't "thematic" anymore.

November 26, 2018, 09:08:02 AM #92 Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:10:02 AM by only_plays_tribals
I took a break right before Tuluk closed, and came back recently.

I feel a stark change in dynamic. It's likely not all Tuluk's closure but it just feels to me like.. Nak is just like so over the top now and super condensed. Occasionally a lash comes flying out and it comes off like a cannon of repressed anger.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Only read two pages, so may have been covered, but couldn't wait to reply:

The difference in the noble/commoner relationship.  Walk into the noble bar in Tuluk and forget to nod respectfully to a present noble/templar...meh, maybe someone says something, maybe not, depending on your position of course.

In Nak, my PC was reminded, most firmly, to include "Lord Templar" in every single sentence she spoke...while in the middle of a multi-entry "tell" that already DID include a "Lord Templar" in the second half.

Southron (and yes, I use that word) Templarate/Nobility (in general, there are some that are much more realistically played) are WAY to focused on making sure that everyone knows who they are and scrapes their skull bare on the shit crusted stones of Templar's Way every time they pass.

I said it once or twice and I'll say it again, I love the Levies and hope they come back. I have this theory that staff are going to close Allanak in five or six years and reopen Tuluk. I will so be in the Levies when that happens, and spend my working time mucking clay again.

Tuluk did it right for the last two weeks, but by that time closure was imminent. Was too bad.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

If I'm not still banned, I would probably come back to play in Tuluk if only for a time.

I really enjoyed Tuluk, but never really 'got it' according to the long-lived people that were there. The one time I got a Jihaen Templar, all the staff in the Northlands disappeared after hiring me, and I got Nyr who admitted he was never able to oversee during my playtimes.

If there were support, I'd play a Noble role, maybe.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I thought you nailed it with Kieandatu. You were the first kudos I had ever sent. I was a noobie at the time, and I thought the way he played into the role of a warrior monk was fantastic. Fruit juice only? Telling the Kadians he didn't need booze?

I thought you were great. Don't sell yourself so short.

Anyway, I would fucking run back to Tuluk if it reopened. But that's provided we know what happened and there isn't some new, weird precedent and it turns into something resembling Allanak. If Tuluk was half-assed if rereleased, I don't know that I would try.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I mostly liked that I had somewhere else to go after I'd been in Allanak for so long. I like city characters mostly, but I really really don't like seeing a past character's friends and acquaintances, especially knowing that they might recognize my writing style and immediately pick my new PC out.

One of my dudes got the world's lightest lashing for pulling a young Jihaen out of a ... holy fuck I can't remember what they are called.. kryl nest against the Jihaen's orders. However when it came up apparently the standing order about common trash not letting noble blooded folk was an acceptable out. He also got frowned at by Qoriya for maiming rather than killing an elf once.

For a hard rule about "trash cannot even touch His Chosen without penalty of law", there certainly were a lot of Noble players who just wanted to break that rule and make sexy times with the common trash.

Despite having access to licensed and bought pleasure slaves.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.