Author Topic: What You Liked About Tuluk  (Read 1855 times)

Miradus

Re: What You Liked About Tuluk
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 08:19:07 PM »

I see what you did there. :)

Cind

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 01:00:15 AM »
One Templar Order, with both men and women

Yes, this. The gender thing, while its harmless and politically correct when you aren't thinking in real-world terms, is still restrictive when you're thinking about choices to play inside the game. There is literally no reason, I'm sure, for the gender separation other than an 80's OOC categorical thing. I'm sure a lot of people don't care and would simply redo the pronouns in their initial bio but there are people like me who literally never play one of the genders, or to whom the gender is important for gameplay for some reason, like being a mother, or a deadbeat dad.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

palomar

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 09:28:11 AM »
I liked the idea of Tuluk most, and when that idea was brought to life through the efforts of dedicated, creative players.

Ender

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 12:43:33 AM »
One Templar Order, with both men and women, squabbling and in-fighting just the same as Blue Robes, but with a different flavor or bent (Psionics compared to Magick).

That actually happened already while Tuluk was still open for play.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Dar

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 04:53:48 AM »
It's only positive quality of importance was that it was not Allanak. So if you've played a long lived character in Allanak that had his/her fingers in a lot of pies. You could've played in Tuluk to be away with everything you interacted with prior.

That Is All. Forgive me, but I think the 'benefits' of Tuluk are being 'highly' romanticized due to it being gone for so long.

It is my hope that when it is open, it is sooo dramatically altered. I realize it's hard to impliment, but if you want to have murder/corruption/betrayal, you cannot have an All Seeing Eye as a non virtual concept.

The irony that I'm being a lot less subtle in this post then Yam's answer is not lost on me :).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:58:18 AM by Dar »

Bushranger

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 06:49:30 AM »
Chosen Lord Mesmer Dasari
Mirau
Kiris
Keyrena
Zari
Tallis Irofel
Siamaca Kadius
Raleris Winrothol
Quote from: Morgenes
Ya..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.
Quote from: Eukelade
Now I'm starving -1 karma Bushranger -1 karma.
Quote from: Shalooonsh
Kudos to you bushranger for confusing staff.

ghanima

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 08:16:51 AM »
What I liked about Tuluk are also the things I disliked about it. I'll explain.

I liked the greater focus on descriptions there. You could easily see the difference in the generation that wrote up Allanak and the generation a full decade or more later that wrote up New Tuluk. In Allanak you have things like "a bone dagger" and it has a half-sentence description that literally reads something like "This crude bone dagger looks deadly". Fast forward to New Tuluk and things are a lot more immersive. The problem is I think it went too far. Page long descriptions are just ridiculous, as far as I'm concerned. Unless it's something super unique and rare like maybe a magickal tree, if you're writing a page to describe something, you're just going overboard. There's a point at which a good thing taken to the extreme is no longer good at all.

I liked the attention to detail with clan creating and the desire to flesh out documentation. I saw some of the original clan docs to very old clans from back in they day and they were pretty sparse. Even some of the ones still in existence now are! Tuluk fought against this by weaving a rich and detailed background for itself. But you had these vastly convoluted and over complicated storylines that often resulted in contradictions. It just seemed to go a little too far. It's possible to be descriptive while still being concise and to the point.

Anyone who remembers Old Tuluk will recall a fairly unpleasant design. Once New Tuluk was rolled out it had absurdly long roads, some that literally went nowhere. You'd walk 20 rooms in one direction and suddenly come to a dead end. Thankfully staff reduced this but it was still never much fun to navigate the city unless you were on a running mount.

Tuluk took all the things that were wrong with Allanak and made a concerted effort to improve upon that. I'ml glad for the effort. Unfortunately that goal was often taken so far to the extreme that it just went to the opposite end of the spectrum.

Where Tuluk really shined was of course the Rebellion days. There were some really good plots being hatched at that time and there isn't much criticism to be said for it. But that was all pre-New Tuluk. After the transformation from Old Tuluk to destroyed Tuluk to New Tuluk it just felt too big for itself. If anything is to be done with it currently, these are good lessons to learn from!

Riev

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »
Mirau
Kiris
Keyrena
Zari
Tallis Irofel
Siamaca Kadius
Raleris Winrothol

Creek.
Faithful Lord Kieandatu.
The Fattest of the Fat Lord Dragean
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

fade

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 01:47:35 PM »
Mirau
Kiris
Keyrena
Zari
Tallis Irofel
Siamaca Kadius
Raleris Winrothol

Wait you were raleris??

Riev

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 03:00:19 PM »
I think he's saying HE was Mesmer, and misses all those other people.

Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Cind

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 02:32:39 AM »
Siamaca and Raleris were awesome. I only really know about Dragean because he was so fat, you could see him from a mile away.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Grapes

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 03:12:19 AM »
Tuluk was nice because it had way too many taverns. Some times you want to poison the drink of an undesirable without witnesses.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.