Quality of food

Started by theebie, January 31, 2018, 10:17:33 AM

How about implementing food with bonus/malus?
If you eat that rat-tail-soup you get -3% stanima for 2 hours, if you eat the freshly cooked juicy bahamet steak you get +4% strength for 1 hour, and so on.

Would give cooking a higher importance (could even change cooking to "a masterfully cooked juicy bahamet steak" or "a messed up try of a cooked juicy bahamet steak" with different values, and it'd make people strive to get better food / spend more money on it.

That feels sort of Hack and Slash MMO buff to me, and I don't care for it much, tbh.

Quality of nutrition is very important, of course, but for the purposes of realism, your character would have to maintain, say, a high quality bahamet steak diet for a period of a couple of months before they started seeing appreciable strength increases (assuming they're also doing physical labor in that time). Eating a steak before I hit the gym doesn't make me lift harder. Eating steak for a month while continuously going to the gym does, however.

I think the code work that would go into calculating character nutrition beyond full>hungry>famished>starving would be pretty marginal gains, however.

Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Heh. I still see noble aides sneaking up to the rooftops to buy those 8 sid cockroach skewers from elves.

If the character is actually an Aide, they are being fed by their house.

Quote from: Hauwke on January 31, 2018, 04:49:00 PM
If the character is actually an Aide, they are being fed by their house.

Spend time on the rooftop and then get back to me.

They come for the elven whores, and stay for the roasted roaches.

Let me put it another way: The character is an aide, supposed to be at least somewhat respectable, if you dont want mekillot steaks, try the half dozen other things available to you instead of going off the beaten path for an item that you have no reasonable excuse to be eating.

Maybe their noble wanted to taste how the other half lives. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No thank you. I prefer to keep +/- bonuses away from food items, it feels way too MMO'y to me.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Who says they don't already give you something?
<_<
>_>
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I think that sadly too many players could not be trusted with something like this. I can't help but to think back of that player who was giving Npcs sparring weapons and then attacking them.

All of a sudden we would start seeing groups of mercenaries stopping to eat a few steaks before they go into kill that Mek.

It makes sense and it's a good idea but I think that in order to be implemented in a way that is realistic and matches with the rest of our world it would have to be long-term effects. If you maintain a good diet for so many days you see some benefits. I think that would be really cool.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I think it's a good idea, but I'd limit the effect to a modest -10 stamina.  I'd envision it being really subtle -- absolutely no messages to the player about it unless they type stat or watch their stamina closely.  I hate it when games hit me over the head with things I should be able to figure out on my own.

One way to frame it in the code would be as a poison effect called "rot" that showed up as you being "malnourished" when you typed stat, or something along those lines.

One thing I'd like to stress is that you can never underestimate small gamifications like this.  Sure, the effect would be tiny and have virtually no impact on PvP or PvE.  But it's a form of feedback to players, a way for the game to say "I understand what you're doing."
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"