That Templar Role Call...

Started by wizturbo, January 30, 2018, 09:02:13 PM

Seconded. Bracing for epic.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Yeah, that was pretty good. A little insight into the creation of a Templar.

If only I wasn't loving my current character so much.

Fourthed?

Though it did let me know that I'm nowhere near close to ready for that kind of thing.

Quote from: Draechen on January 30, 2018, 09:09:33 PM
Though it did let me know that I'm nowhere near close to ready for that kind of thing.

:'(

Yep.

I enjoyed the writing, nevertheless! What a glimpse of what's behind the curtain.

January 30, 2018, 09:16:21 PM #5 Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 03:49:40 AM by Akariel
I encourage you to apply, even if you think you're not ready. Let THEM tell you you're not ready.

You don't get ready UNTIL you have those sorts of awesome roles. Those roles MAKE you ready.

It does help if you've had some exposure to some really good Templars in the past ...

Never more tempted to go for a sponsored role.  But I know my limits, and nobles, merchants, and templars are out of them.

January 30, 2018, 10:51:18 PM #8 Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:58:16 PM by Hauwke
Ugh, I told myself I would go for the next Noble/Templar rolecall when it came up. UGH! I love my current guy too much! All of the UGH!

Edit: Also, fuck yes for a Judge Dredd themed Templar.

January 30, 2018, 10:56:05 PM #9 Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:43:17 PM by Vox
Holy shit, that short-story-epic-role-call-announcement pulled me right out of shadowy obscurity.

Damnit, that was so good I have to make a character again.

**edit: looks like it was such hot fire that it was censored and replaced.. that's even more epic!

RIP the story. I guess that peek-behind-the-curtain was a bit too much of a peek. That's a shame.

It was awesome while it lasted.
Lizard time.

I thought that story was both incredibly cool and incredibly good at building hype for the role. I think stories like that bring the mythos of the game alive and make the roles feel that much more epic. I would strongly advocate for more role calls of that style.
Aranix

Great short!

Yeah, okay. You got me.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

+1 to surveyvon's post.

I love this type of rolecall, one that places the spotlight on storytelling. The Tablelands role call that was up a few years back (holy crap, has it been that long?) was another great example.

I honestly wholeheartedly agree. If you keep literally everything wrapped behind a curtain, what you have left is... a curtain. Let us have a little peek like that every now and then. It's fun. And it adds a ton to the atmosphere.
Lizard time.

Quote from: MatisseOrOtherwise on January 31, 2018, 12:33:05 AM
I honestly wholeheartedly agree. If you keep literally everything wrapped behind a curtain, what you have left is... a curtain. Let us have a little peek like that every now and then. It's fun. And it adds a ton to the atmosphere.

I echo this hard. I understand there can be some concern about people failing to keep OOC knowledge OOC, but getting some insight into how the lore works and even mechanics of certain things REALLY increases immersion in roleplay, from tabletop DnD all the way up to MUDs. As someone who is familiar with Dark Sun, applying that carryover knowledge to the game has really enhanced my immersion and improved my RP on a dozen occasions.

Keeping everything classified is a detriment IMO, for what that opinion is worth.

Also this rolecall is cool and I hope whoever plays this murders me creatively.

I'm grieving the death of the first writeup.  It was pretty damn incredible.

*reposts the echo of general enthusiasm*

Hell yeah.
Veteran Newbie

January 31, 2018, 03:26:25 AM #18 Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 03:29:32 AM by wizturbo
I was literally considering coming back to the game after a year away from that piece of writing alone (just to play, not to apply for that role)... 

I didn't take it as canon, it was just such an awesome illustration of the level of awesome Shalooonsh was going to bring to the role.  It made me remember why I loved this game.  Would someone explain why it was taken down?  I'm a bit heartbroken to see something so cool disappear.

Posting 12 +1s.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Guess I'm too late to the party.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'm confused. Why the retcon?
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Veselka on January 31, 2018, 11:49:08 AM
I'm confused. Why the retcon?

Higher-up staff probably didn't like the peek behind the curtain. Seems they like everything to remain entirely hidden, which is a shame.
Lizard time.

In the interest of transparency...

I thought it was an awesome piece of fiction.

Unfortunately, it wasn't just fiction in the traditional sense, but was also fiction for the game world.  In addition to a few inaccuracies, it included one element that has been retconned, and some really bad math (we haven't killed off 6,000 nobles to create the current templars).

As stuff we post is typically taken as truth about the game world by players, rather than potentially fiction about the gameworld, we decided to remove it.

Quote from: Brokkr on January 31, 2018, 12:05:48 PM
In the interest of transparency...

I thought it was an awesome piece of fiction.

Unfortunately, it wasn't just fiction in the traditional sense, but was also fiction for the game world.  In addition to a few inaccuracies, it included one element that has been retconned, and some really bad math (we haven't killed off 6,000 nobles to create the current templars).

As stuff we post is typically taken as truth about the game world by players, rather than potentially fiction about the gameworld, we decided to remove it.

Couldn't it have had a disclaimer at the bottom that it was a work of fiction? It's mildly ironic the post was edited to include the run-of-the-mill "do you want to be this guy" stuff. The fiction was thrilling and intriguing, which can excite people to apply. That seems to be the whole point of announcements like that and this one by Shalooonsh did so particularly well. It'd be a shame if Storytellers were discouraged from telling imaginative tales such as that one. At a certain point I wonder if we are all taking ourselves a little too seriously.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant