Author Topic: Looking for Advise from London/UK based Arm Players  (Read 576 times)

JustAnotherGuy

Looking for Advise from London/UK based Arm Players
« on: January 30, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »
Been kinda distant from Arm for a bit, but that is because some big things are happening in life.  My work is moving me to London for a year and my wife is coming with me.  I know we have a few UK folks on Arm and this community is always willing to help, so I thought I will take my turn on asking for some.

My work is doing a lot to help with getting over there, and the first major thing is to find a flat once I get into town.  I'll be staying in a hotel for a bit until we find a place.  The main thing is I don't want do a roomshare as I will be having my son come over from the States on occasion to visit and will need space for him to sleep while he's here.  We're thinking a 1 bedroom flat with a reception/living room so we can have him on a couch or air mattress.  I am trying to be in Zone 3 as that is what my work is paying for me when it comes to an Oyster card, my work is also offering a stipend for rent and expenses while in London also, which will pay a good chunk of rent.

So I need advise, suggestions, places to avoid, etc when it comes to living first.  I've done a LOT of research and I have started research on /r/london also.  https://www.reddit.com/r/london/wiki/living/area --- Been reading over this so far.  This is a big change for me and my wife, I being more used to change than she is, so I am looking to make sure I can put each other at a bit more ease in this process.  I keep reading all these horror stories and it's worrying me a bit.

Thank you to you all, I do greatly appreciate any help that can be offered.  Plus, I damn well will want to have a pint or two with some local Arm players once I get into town.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Delirium

• Helper
Re: Looking for Advise from London/UK based Arm Players
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »
JAG and his wife are wonderful people and I'm jealous of London.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:03:57 PM »

Awwww, thank you. That's greatly appreciated.  We're excited and nervous at the same time. It's a big change, and I was just hoping to see if I can get some collaborating experience is all.  I've been doing a bunch of research, but more was hoping to get some personal experience.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Veselka

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »

Awwww, thank you. That's greatly appreciated.  We're excited and nervous at the same time. It's a big change, and I was just hoping to see if I can get some collaborating experience is all.  I've been doing a bunch of research, but more was hoping to get some personal experience.

You should hit up Akaramu, no? I think she lives in London, or at least the UK.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Akaramu

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »
No, that Akaramu girl lives in Switzerland. Wasn't Lordcooper from the UK, though?

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 09:49:58 AM »
Well, either way I'll be hitting up our Euro Armers once I get over there as I plan to do some travelling.  I think Lord Cooper is in London, but he's been busy it seems.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:

lordcooper

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:55:46 AM »
Really wish I could be helpful here but I live in a small village in Wales.  Big cities aren't my thing so I've spent maybe a cumulative week in London over the last decade. 

You'll have to pay UK income tax while here, and I know a few who've been caught out by the US wanting their pound of flesh too (IIRC they'll tax you on anything over about $100k in addition to HMRC).  Note that non-cash compensation is taxable here, this likely includes your housing+transport stipends.  Presumably your employer will be taking care of all this and helping get you a National Insurance number, but it's good to be sure.  Council tax needs to be paid once you start renting, some landlords include it in your rent (along with utility bills) but you can't assume this to be the case.  Be prepared to put down a few months worth of rent in advance, asking for 3-6 is unusual but not unheard of for recent immigrants or temporary visitors.

London is almost laughably expensive, if you don't mind a commute then you could save a LOT by staying elsewhere.  My 3 bed detached house is worth less than many one room flats over there, it's mental.  I suppose it's less of an issue if your employer is covering a fair chunk of your expenses, but even then you could probably stay somewhere quite a bit nicer with a longer commute.  This'll give you an overview of typical rent/commute costs from a few nearby towns.  Feel free to ignore all of that if living in London appeals to you though, I'm weird and just kinda hate living somewhere where I can't see the horizon.

You can probably get by without a vehicle; as much as we like to moan about it, our public transport is actually pretty decent.  Most supermarkets will deliver too.

This is solely based on the word of a drunk expat, but apparently your credit history doesn't apply here so you might struggle to get stuff like phone contracts.  No idea if there's actually any truth to that.

Oh, and get a UK bank account sorted out ASAP, it's not really a case of just popping in to open one anymore.  If there are any US banks with branches near where you'll be staying then that could make for a decent stopgap.

You probably already knew all of that ;D

Edit: uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

You'll need more of those than you expect.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:10:11 AM by lordcooper »
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.