Author Topic: Roleplaying Accents  (Read 780 times)

Fernandezj

Roleplaying Accents
« on: January 15, 2018, 01:21:47 AM »
Does anyone have any advice for roleplaying an accent they learned? Like what are the actual differences in the different languages spoken that could be incorporated into play?

Any other help on this would be appreciated.

whitt

Re: Roleplaying Accents
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 03:05:13 AM »
This one is tricky.  While some folks alter their speech patterns to push an accent on something, the code will already append "with a somewhere other than here" accent, if you are talking to someone in an accent that is not the accent they are speaking in.
Technically, nothing other than change accent northern should be necessary to indicate you are speaking with a northern accent.  The code will also mangle your speech when you speak a different language (until you have it at Master) so no need to chop up words there either.
Both of those cases aside.  You can, of course, fiddle with how you word your sentences to make it clear that while you may be getting the words out right, your character is still not entirely comfortable with speaking the new language, even if you have it mastered.
One example from IRL would be a russian co-worker who would constantly leave the -ing off of things when asking, "What are you work on?"  or "Where are you go?" and such.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

650Booger

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:12:07 AM »
rinthi accent: replace every T with a '
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

LucildaHunta

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:26:19 AM »
Best advice? You can have any kind of accent you want, some people are going to roll with it. Some people are going to be like "Yo, why you gotta talk like that, bruh?" Be prepared for that.
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

Riev

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
Best I can offer, is that there are some "generally accepted" ideas of what accents sound like, in game. Tribals speak like "Foreigners" would speak English, a la "This is thing I like. You sell?". Northies are very "proper" and poised, at least in public, and often choose their words carefully. Southerners are gritty, say "fuck" a lot, and if you believe the Tuluki hype, are very very bad at innuendo and suggestive terms. 'Rinthis are cockney English. "Oy 'gov, whas ya got in there, yeah?"

But honestly? Whether you type in full and complete sentences, or whether your text is "'Ey, Vennant, th' feck ya's be gettin' meh 'en mah boy 'ere?" its all good. Just don't expect people to understand you if you have a heavy accent.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Grapes

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
I've been vaguebooked on the GDB for my handling of accents. There is some salt. I just make it up as I go, and ignore the haters. Play as you feel. There really is no "right" way to do an accent.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Fernandezj

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:36:51 PM »
Sorry - I didn't mean like a character-centric accent.

I meant, for example, you are an Allanaki Southerner, and you learn Rinthi/Tribal/Northern accents.

Do you even bother playing up the difference?

nauta

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 08:40:46 PM »
For sure, if I understand you right.  A tribal accent will get folks to treat you like the scummy dunehumper you are; a rinth accent will get people to treat you like a lowlife rinther; and a northern accent will get people to treat you like the enemy (although technically northern includes people at Luir's, I'd say most uneducated southerners assume all folks with northern accents are Tulukis).

It's even worse in some cases: in the rinth, for instance, speaking like a southsider might just get you shivved.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Riev

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »
Sorry - I didn't mean like a character-centric accent.

I meant, for example, you are an Allanaki Southerner, and you learn Rinthi/Tribal/Northern accents.

Do you even bother playing up the difference?

Personally, I don't, but I do consider background when I consider speech patterns. Rinthis and southerners are more likely to swear and cuss, rinthis in particular I play as not understanding complex politics that doesn't involve physical shows of power. Tribals speaking sirihish don't always get all the words right, or in the wrong order.

If I have an Allanaki citizen who learns a tribal accent? Sometimes I ham it up to the extreme, as though its a joke, but its like being from the Northern US and speaking in a southern drawl. MOST of the time its overdone and dramatic.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Dracul

• FB
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »
Best I can offer, is that there are some "generally accepted" ideas of what accents sound like, in game. Tribals speak like "Foreigners" would speak English, a la "This is thing I like. You sell?". Northies are very "proper" and poised, at least in public, and often choose their words carefully. Southerners are gritty, say "fuck" a lot, and if you believe the Tuluki hype, are very very bad at innuendo and suggestive terms. 'Rinthis are cockney English. "Oy 'gov, whas ya got in there, yeah?"

But honestly? Whether you type in full and complete sentences, or whether your text is "'Ey, Vennant, th' feck ya's be gettin' meh 'en mah boy 'ere?" its all good. Just don't expect people to understand you if you have a heavy accent.

Riev said it...and he's not defining it alone. Definitely through observation and perhaps even evolution, I've seen the same.

And much like novels and the text based nature, you might see it through a slightly different version in your mind and that's just fine. For the 'rinth, I've never quite imagined the cokney english part of the accent, but definitely a subpar use of broken language, slang, and lots of ' replacing various sounds. And again that's just how I hear it in my head when I read.
Veteran Newbie

Cind

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 05:45:16 AM »
The elf has to be shady to do this, I mean, what god-fearing elf would want to try to make a life for himself the legal way and have the Cockney accent at the same time, but I feel some of the shady ones have a -light- Cockney accent. I've not heard it as thick as some rinthis lay it on. There are people playing this game who think that elves that do bad things have to be from the rinth.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Cind

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 06:08:47 AM »
Every elf in the game wants to kill you. *points*
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.