Mount Size Comparison

Started by Fernandezj, January 08, 2018, 09:46:33 PM

Is there a diagram, or documentation, on mounts and their relative size somewhere?

There are only helpfiles on certain animals, and when you view mounts in the stable there are no ways to know actual sizes, and some of the descriptions are vague or size-immaterial.

The race page: http://armageddon.org/help/view/Races has a nice chart that shows relative sizes between races.

Is there something similar for animals? To say... show the difference between an erdlu, beetle, sunback, inix, ox, etc?

Though this is from the reference material for what inspired Arm, not Arm itself.

I think only two of those are in the game, and I didn't realize one was even a mount. But thanks for the help with inix  ;D

Quote from: Fernandezj on January 08, 2018, 09:54:29 PM
I think only two of those are in the game, and I didn't realize one was even a mount. But thanks for the help with inix  ;D

RIP Kanks, gone but not forgotten.

Again, this is Dark Sun material, but:

Erdlu.

Oxen are the same as in RL.  I've taken Sunbacks to be pint-sized inix.  The war beetles I think are about kank-sized, or maybe the size of this guy from the world cup:

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

idk, I feel as inix and war beetles would be much bigger than that on the picture.

Remember, half giants are like what, 14-18 feet tall? they'd have to be bigger to support that kind of weight.

Not sure on the height, but this was taken from the helpfile.

I wish we had an artist amongst the players do draw up a mount one.

Quote from: Fernandezj on March 22, 2018, 08:44:03 PM

Not sure on the height, but this was taken from the helpfile.

I've always pictured half-giants to be much broader around the mid section, and with coarser facial features.

I think the helpfile for them, says they actually have standard human appearances, its just that over the years with people always deciding that their half-giant needs a keyword like dumpy or something, that people have got it in their head-canon.

Yes, not to derail my own topic, but I noticed the same thing.

They make them appear like cave-man-esque in appearance, because as a matter of practice, people have a poorer time acting out "dim" then having it immediately reflected in a trope-like appearance of a character from "Of Mice and Men".

A big variety of half-giants in game appear like the dumb ogre/troll/broad-featured dummy type and have vaguely onomatopoeia or adjective-derivative names like: Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful, Doc, Happy, Grumpy, and Sleepy - etc.

Quote from: Fernandezj on March 23, 2018, 08:52:17 PM
They make them appear like cave-man-esque in appearance, because as a matter of practice, people have a poorer time acting out "dim" then having it immediately reflected in a trope-like appearance of a character from "Of Mice and Men".

A big variety of half-giants in game appear like the dumb ogre/troll/broad-featured dummy type and have vaguely onomatopoeia or adjective-derivative names like: Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful, Doc, Happy, Grumpy, and Sleepy - etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by cave man-esque features exactly, but if we take a look at the Half-Giants helpfile, it states "... Half-giants appear much like a human, but with highly exaggerated features,..." So half-giants with dumb ogre-like or caricatural features should be in line with the documentation.

Going back to the topic at hand, Oxen are probably the same size as those found in real life, as nauta's mentioned.

Sunback lizards "appear to be... cousins of the raptors", according to the helpfile. I've always imagined them to be somewhere about this size:

...while inix, I've always pictured to be similar to below, size-wize. While bigger than half-giants, an inix will still face 'duress' when supporting a half-giant.

I think you're right about the help files. Putting down the average weight/height of each mount in the help files would be a nice addition, if only so it's clear just how much bigger an inix, per se, is -- compared to a PC.

Quote from: Fernandezj on March 22, 2018, 08:44:03 PM

We have had some of the mounts depicted over the years in http://www.armageddon.org/original/type/Artwork

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Actually, that last one was concept art for Armageddon 2.0 and it never made it into the game.

Quote from: Delirium on March 24, 2018, 01:00:22 PM
Actually, that last one was concept art for Armageddon 2.0 and it never made it into the game.

I was gonna say...  The figure in hooded purple cloak, riding a pissed off, broken clawed scrab who is carrying a worn leather satchel.
= My new dwarf focus

Back to the question at hand, Inix imop have always been larger than wagons.  I mean there are wagons in game drawn by a team of inix.  So that could be anywhere from 4 - 11 Inix, depending on what game they're playing. ::)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.