Author Topic: Knitting and Crocheting  (Read 675 times)

Cind

Knitting and Crocheting
« on: December 19, 2017, 06:37:01 AM »
I'm back into my knitting groove (that only took a damn year) while my mom is on a two or three-year knitting groove that shows no signs of stopping.

I'm very much a do-it-myself person (no patterns,) partly because I like having a podcast running, or a show, when I am working on a project and partly because I don't feel like I am smart enough to learn and retain complicated stitches. (I did do the trinity stitch but stopped that project after a while; that is kind of a difficult stitch for me because it is not smooth to work.)

Any of you do yarn works? Weaving, spinning, dyeing?

We have a bag of yak(?) wool somewhere. It is a nice, even dark brown. I didn't try to look up instructions on how to clean it and am lucky I didn't pour water directly on it when I washed it. I believe you need warm or hot water to wash the lanolin off, although some spinners will leave the lanolin in. I think I would, although I don't know if its, you know, greasy like that.

I have in front of me a scarf I am making for my mother's birthday (she's not going to wear it.) It is lavender, pale magenta and a slightly grey rose-pink striped. I am obsessed with this pattern (albeit in wider stripes than I am doing with hers.) Color A for 20 rows, color B for 6, color C for 20 rows, color A for 6, color B for 20, etc. So, A, B, C, and 20, 6, 20, 6, basically.

Right now I'm into the k2, p2 stitch. I am new to the lovely texture it makes in a scarf of medium yarn (4,) seems like a full scarf of it would be very cozy.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Melkor

Re: Knitting and Crocheting
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »
plz be my gramma. Idc if you're not old enough. I need more wool in my life.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Zenith

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
Iíve been knitting for about 16 years now, since college. My kids' teacher gifts this year are both hand knit shawls.

I assume youíre on ravelry?

Hauwke

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
plz be my gramma. Idc if you're not old enough. I need more wool in my life.

My gramma cant even knit, my mum on the other hand, made my kid a huge, fluffy blanket that she sleeps with now.

Melkor

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 03:36:30 AM »
steal blanket baby
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Cind

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 06:33:11 AM »
Unfortunately I'm not on ravelry, it does sound like fun though.

I feel like, if I don't know how to double crochet, I shouldn't get an account, because everyone else is like, wow. They make amigurumi and everything.

I wonder if we have any rough-and-tough guys who secretly go home and knit something cute.

Zenith

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »
Ravelry isnít like that! Itís not a competition, itís a community where people support one another. You can buy patterns, research yarns, and join any number of forum groups for people with similar interests. You can ask for help, find local groups, all sorts of things. There are the newest of beginners and the most advanced crafters you could hope to meet. There are artists, hobbiests, and people who never make a thing but hope someday they might. Really, give it a shot. Itís not as scary as you seem to think.

As for tough guys who knit super cute items? There are probably a few of them. I donít know any. But there are a good number of men who knit! Thereís bound to be a subset like youíre describing. I donít feel like tough and cute are mutually exclusive.

Hauwke

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
Knitting is only viewed as 'umnanly' because the sterotype is little old ladies are the ones who knit.

If anything though, its a really manly thing. Crafts of any sort that require skill are manly right?

boog

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 01:22:49 AM »
i knit and crochet
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Zenith

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 06:04:53 PM »
Traditionally it was men who controlled the knowledge of various knitting patterns. George Washington discusses knitting socks in his personal journal.

Cind

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 05:20:32 AM »
There's this pattern for amigurumi octopi that I really want to make a thousand of.

That and scarves in the k2, p2 stitch. These two ideas are my babies right now. I'm obsessed with wool, too, as a thing. All natural fibers, but mostly wool.

It is Christmas--- I have received evidence that such a thing is under the tree, maybe. Gotta wait for everyone to wake up.

Merry Christmas, everyone!