Junk cluttering the Sands!

Started by YellowCactus, December 17, 2017, 01:55:18 PM

I understand that animals migrate and all.  Some aggro.  Some share zones. 

The Scrab and Chalton 'Zone' around the Highlords sands could probably use some tweeking.  And the Scrab and Scorpion 'Zone' around the Highlords sands could too.

Thanks!

I'm gonna second the cabbage.  Your title seems to be at odds with your post, and you post doesn't actually state what type of tweaking you are proposing.  Area size?  Area shape?  Population density?  Population composition?  Population variety?  "Safe" transit routes?  Pop reload times?  Area reload times?  Etc.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

when people skin and leave stuff on the ground, probably. It is just one of those things you have to ignore but is a bit visually jarring.

there isn't really a better solution other than "get item, junk item" other than to have them get "buried" by the sand on a timer or something.

I'd love to see more scavengers in the game.  Even ones tough enough or elusive enough that they wouldn't become the target of every would be hunter.   I mean it happens to some extent already, and I like it.  But having more loose meat attract more viscous  scavengers would fix the problem, and make the outside world even more dangerous.

I don't think the spawn code is robust enough to allow factors like animal guts on the ground to trigger a local spawn.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Delirium on December 17, 2017, 03:07:46 PM
when people skin and leave stuff on the ground, probably. It is just one of those things you have to ignore but is a bit visually jarring.

there isn't really a better solution other than "get item, junk item" other than to have them get "buried" by the sand on a timer or something.

Implement a "skinned item rot code" specifically for items that exist as the result of the "skin [critter]" command, and only if it hasn't been picked up from wherever it was first spawned.

Every 40 RL minutes = add the next level of rot.
Up to 5 levels of rot
Final level of rot = item goes poof.

Things you can do with this:
You can add poison effects to spoiled food.
You can make bait for other critters.
Tribals can dry out/shrink hides/bones in different stages of decay and use as totems/fetishes.
Magicky stuff.

Once they are picked up, the only skinned-critter items that continue to rot are things that were already subject to the rot code (mostly - meats).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

December 17, 2017, 06:12:03 PM #8 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:48:38 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Grogerif on December 17, 2017, 03:56:31 PM
I'd love to see more scavengers in the game.  Even ones tough enough or elusive enough that they wouldn't become the target of every would be hunter.   I mean it happens to some extent already, and I like it.  But having more loose meat attract more viscous  scavengers would fix the problem, and make the outside world even more dangerous.

I think it would be cool to have echoes of mice, lizards, tiny scavenging canines to come through and nom the guts, skins, etc. into non-existence every once in a while.

Or... Just give scrabs the capability of doing this. This would help mitigate the chalton-scrab area of skinned leavings.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Quote from: Melkor on December 17, 2017, 06:47:48 PM
Quote from: Grogerif on December 17, 2017, 03:56:31 PM

I think it would be cool to have echoes of mice, lizards, tiny scavenging canines to come through and nom the guts, skins, etc. into non-existence every once in a while.

Or... Just give scrabs the capability of doing this. This would help mitigate the chalton-scrab area of skinned leavings.

Scrabs kind of already do this. Sometimes when killing scrabs, I'll find them filled with other guts and meats, sometimes rocks and weapons. They scavenge if they come across stuff.
Lizard time.

they get stuff, that ends back on the ground when they die. giving them the junk code with an echo of them nomming stuff would be cool.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Quote from: Molten Heart on December 17, 2017, 06:12:03 PM
Quote from: Delirium on December 17, 2017, 03:07:46 PM

I'm a fan of having things having a somewhat random chance of getting buried. Maybe an object's short description progressively changes showing it's being covered until it disappears from view and is buried. Maybe this is only an option for some places because only some rooms have blowing sand covering everything.

I really like this idea. If we can have sand periodically begin to bury an item, maybe people can dig them up again.
I ruin immershunz.

Kagor corpses work like this, but it's really awkward because the timer isn't consistent, so sometimes it happens almost instantaneously, and sometimes it takes a while.

I'd really rather it happen to anything on the ground in a sandy or silty environment, and only after, say, 30 RL minutes.

Kagor corpses are annoying in that sometimes they 'decay into morbid dust' so fast that even if you had "ep knife;rest;skin kagor" copied and ready to paste the very moment it died, you still wouldn't be fast enough. If they just got buried and could be taken and moved without them actually just decaying quicker than dust blows, then it'd be okay, but it's kind of unrealistic for a body to just fade into nothingness in seconds.
Lizard time.

If you notice a bug, please let us know about it or its unlikely to get looked into. If someone could send in a log about this kagor issue, that would be helpful.

Quote from: MatisseOrOtherwise on December 20, 2017, 11:35:25 PM
Kagor corpses are annoying in that sometimes they 'decay into morbid dust' so fast that even if you had "ep knife;rest;skin kagor" copied and ready to paste the very moment it died, you still wouldn't be fast enough. If they just got buried and could be taken and moved without them actually just decaying quicker than dust blows, then it'd be okay, but it's kind of unrealistic for a body to just fade into nothingness in seconds.

Akariel brought this up online. After some investigation we found the issue.  Should be resolved, now.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"