Author Topic: Multiple hard drive failures, PSU or something else?  (Read 275 times)

RogueGunslinger

Multiple hard drive failures, PSU or something else?
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:09:18 PM »
 Ive lost two ssd and one hdd all within a couple months. After some research Ive heard that the PSU can cause this. But before i go and stick another one in I want to make sure I dont just end up killing another hard drive because it ends up being something else causing the failures.

So I suppose my question is simple, can a faulty component other than a PSU cause multiple hard drive failures?

Im not over heating, and everything else seems to run fine, plays games fine.

Melkor

Re: Multiple hard drive failures, PSU or something else?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »
Order a new hard drive from wal-mart along with a warranty that costs ~$15, stick it in with a new, different PSU, see if issue persists. If Yes, get a new Hard drive for free, and dont use it until you find someone more knowledgeable to help you than a guy who carves wood and lives in the forest who offers basic troubleshooting tips.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:30:14 PM by Melkor »
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:07:45 AM »
I had a sata port that was sending bad voltage and fried an ssd.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Yam

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 11:16:12 AM »
Post full system specs including case maker/model and the HDDs/SSDs you fried. Were they all SATA? SATA/PCIE/M.2? Hard to diagnose without more information.

Do you ever vacuum around your case or the inside of your case? Is your PSU connected to a surge protector (if so which) or a wall socket? When was your house built (or last electrical work done). Do you get a lot of storms?

Are you installing windows fresh on each new drive, or are you using a recovery image, or what?

Edit: Also how do you know the drives failed? Are you testing them on other machines? Did you take them to someone? What was the time to failure on each?

They should still be under manufacturer warranty, in which case you can return them and see what the manufacturer says (if they even test them instead of replacing straight away).

Second edit: Also check out your motherboard. Maybe post a picture. Sniff around. Does anything look wrong?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:20:36 AM by Yam »

James de Monet

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 02:09:21 PM »
Order a new hard drive from wal-mart along with a warranty that costs ~$15, stick it in with a new, different PSU, see if issue persists. If Yes, get a new Hard drive for free, and dont use it until you find someone more knowledgeable to help you than a guy who carves wood and lives in the forest who offers basic troubleshooting tips.

That might be my favorite advice post ever.  ;D

SSDs arenít susceptible to magnetic fields or drop trauma, which are the big bads for traditional hard drives.  I was doing some research on static discharge damage, and came across a pic of a guy with the gnarliest injury.  It was fake, but that oneís gonna stick with me.  Good thing Iím not very squeamish.  Yikes.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 01:21:47 AM »
Post full system specs including case maker/model and the HDDs/SSDs you fried. Were they all SATA? SATA/PCIE/M.2? Hard to diagnose without more information.

Do you ever vacuum around your case or the inside of your case? Is your PSU connected to a surge protector (if so which) or a wall socket? When was your house built (or last electrical work done). Do you get a lot of storms?

Are you installing windows fresh on each new drive, or are you using a recovery image, or what?

Edit: Also how do you know the drives failed? Are you testing them on other machines? Did you take them to someone? What was the time to failure on each?

They should still be under manufacturer warranty, in which case you can return them and see what the manufacturer says (if they even test them instead of replacing straight away).

Second edit: Also check out your motherboard. Maybe post a picture. Sniff around. Does anything look wrong?

Holy moly, thank you for this help. Its not my computer and we have just decided to take it to a professional. Something like taking this thing apart down to the motherboard is uncomfortable for me because its not my pc and im inexperienced with them.

Figure id answer some of your questions anyways, since you took the time to ask. No storms or power surges. Its connected to a surge supressor but i have no idea what kind. Uh, i have no idea on the vacuming around the computer... It is on carpet though, so probably. Never even thought of something like that, thats scary.

The two ssds were connected different ways, though without the pc to look at.. All i can tell you was one was a standard looking hard drive cable connection(2 wires?), but the other was plugged into the motherboard, like one would a gpu.

The drives are undetectable. Im not positive on how the first ssd went out, id have to ask. But the current ssd bsod more and more until it didnt show up in boot order and other places in bios. The regular hard drive didnt have an OS on it thats pretty much all I know as I didnt mess around with that one.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:27:13 AM by RogueGunslinger »

Nao

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 02:05:26 AM »
If you get the chance, try these hard drives in another computer. It might be something else on that computer (motherboard or even just the SATA cable) that's fried, not the hard drives.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Yam

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »

Holy moly, thank you for this help. Its not my computer and we have just decided to take it to a professional. Something like taking this thing apart down to the motherboard is uncomfortable for me because its not my pc and im inexperienced with them.

Figure id answer some of your questions anyways, since you took the time to ask. No storms or power surges. Its connected to a surge supressor but i have no idea what kind. Uh, i have no idea on the vacuming around the computer... It is on carpet though, so probably. Never even thought of something like that, thats scary.

The two ssds were connected different ways, though without the pc to look at.. All i can tell you was one was a standard looking hard drive cable connection(2 wires?), but the other was plugged into the motherboard, like one would a gpu.

The drives are undetectable. Im not positive on how the first ssd went out, id have to ask. But the current ssd bsod more and more until it didnt show up in boot order and other places in bios. The regular hard drive didnt have an OS on it thats pretty much all I know as I didnt mess around with that one.

Vacuuming inside can fry stuff. Vacuuming around the outside of the case shouldn't.

If your PSU ends up being the culprit, you should take a look at its warranty. It may or may not cover parts damaged.