Nosave Taste

Started by Mercy, December 09, 2017, 04:16:22 PM

This is a quality of life thing that may not be as easy to implement as I would hope. Having discovered the world of coded spices/flavorings, my heart always drops a little bit when I see someone use "eat" instead of "taste" when handed a morsel of food. As such, I think it could be beneficial (for RP purposes at least) to have a "nosave taste" option that toggles flavor emits when using the eat command. I understand not wanting to flood people with food descriptions when trying to pound down a meal to stave off starvation, or eating the same plain-jane steak you've been making for the past year and a half.

Plus, I get a little sad when stuff like that goes unseen. Someone wrote it, deserves to be read.

If it can be toggled like you say that'd be great, I always feel bad when I eat food because I don't get to see the effort that went into making it.
If they can lift inix with their stubby claws they can lift my fat ass with their beefy backs - Eves #TameableSiltFlyers

Here I thought it'd be the opposite. Sometimes I want to sip something without a 4-line descriptor of what I sipped.

If it can be toggled, it should be toggled for both.

It took me quite some time to discover the taste command, I think it was around the time I drank/ate my first poisoned thing. I approve of this.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

December 10, 2017, 08:17:45 AM #5 Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:48:26 AM by nauta
An alternative:

1. Have all taste messages be included in the 'eat' and 'drink' commands (and not just 'taste' and 'sip').

2. Allow for 'brief taste' (like brief combat) which would disable/enable the taste/sip flavor messages.

I've had a few occasions where I wanted to taste something fancy and accidentally did eat and ate it all.  >:(
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I had no idea "brief combat" was a thing. I need to look into this.

It shows only connected hits and stuff, mostly useful for toning spam down a notch in large combats. Does not do very much with large groups against critters and stuff though, since most folks are going to be hitting.

I feel like something similar has been suggested before, vis a vis the taste message appearing whenever you eat a food item. Yes, some items are multi-line orgasmic descriptions, and eating that 12 times like a Bynner's stew might get repetitive, but I feel like "taste" and "sip" should be things you consciously do either because you don't trust the item (poison, etc) or because you're being polite but not hungry/thirsty. Not something you have to do to experience an item's flavor that, in some cases, consumes the item entirely.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Armor that was affected by the resizing bug - have the original points been restored by this fix?

If they can lift inix with their stubby claws they can lift my fat ass with their beefy backs - Eves #TameableSiltFlyers

THAT was quick. NICE.
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

That was unexpected. I am excite. :D

It must have been one of those ideas that was like, well, why NOT? This is good. Some ideas are like that, they don't skew the balance in any way and add to content and RP... surprised, though delighted, to see this moved upon so quickly.

December 15, 2017, 11:42:46 AM #16 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:45:57 AM by nauta
[oops wrong thread]
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago