Author Topic: Wanted: funny, nonoffensive slurs and cuss words for my new book  (Read 185 times)

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
Wanted: funny, nonoffensive slurs and cuss words for my new book
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:51:12 PM »
HALP! I'm usually good at inventing new words, but realized I can't for the life of me do it in English. The thing is, my new book's main character uses a unique vocabulary of made-up words in place of insults or cuss words. They're meant to be funny and nonoffensive, kind of like 'worrywart'. Unfortunately I haven't mastered the English language to the level where I can even tell if the words I came up with are unique (maybe they're already in use and I don't know it?) or fulfill the criteria of being funny and nonoffensive.

Here's a few of my creations - comments / feedback appreciated!

Get crack-waggled!
Muppet lunch
Pimpleprimp
He couldn't be miggled (instead of arsed)

If anyone who's good at this kind of thing wanted to toss in a few more, I'd appreciate it.  :-*

Edit to add: these words also shouldn't sound too childish. The character in question is 16, and I don't exactly write YA...

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:54:54 PM by Akaramu »

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
Re: Wanted: funny, nonoffensive slurs and cuss words for my new book
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 05:27:55 PM »
Oh, and don't be afraid to be harsh! If all of these are completely stupid, my developmental editor will tell me so in no uncertain terms before too long.  ;D It would be helpful to know now, though. So I can adapt before le editor cracks the whip.

Lizzie

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:19:53 PM »
I really like miggled.
Muppet is a trademarked name created by Jim Henson, so you probably wouldn't want to use "Muppet lunch."
Get crack-waggled? Is that to mean "hurry up?" (as in - get cracking, or waggle your butt right on outta here, missy) Or is it to be like saying "get bent" or "get fucked" or "go to hell?" If it's to hurry up, I like it. If it's to say get bent, not so much.
Not fond of pimpleprimp, it looks funny on paper but it's actually difficult to pronounce, and we want to "hear" your characters talking when we read the book.

My contribution:
chort: slang for a laughable person - someone you'd laugh at, not with. Derived from the word chortle, a particular type of laugh.
Useage:
"So this chort with taped glass frames tripped over the cat and his banana cream pie landed right in my brother's face!"
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

tapas

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:16:21 PM »
http://www.unhingedhistorian.com/2013/01/top-ten-awesome-victorian-swear-words.html

Use 100+ year old curses that lack the social impact of today.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 09:19:29 PM »
http://www.unhingedhistorian.com/2013/01/top-ten-awesome-victorian-swear-words.html

Use 100+ year old curses that lack the social impact of today.

Thanks, I already considered this but came to the conclusion that a 16 year old who enjoys making up her own words probably wouldn't use words from hundreds of years ago. She'd maybe pick up one or two from her Grandma, but for the most part her slurs need to be new and unique.

And thanks Lizze, the feedback is super helpful. I actually hadn't yet considered the meaning of crack-waggled, but I like the 'hurry up' suggestion and will use it in that context.  8)

Marauder Moe

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 09:49:20 PM »
Historically, swear words typically tend to relate to sex, bodily functions, or religion, but those categories aren't universal or constant.  In fact I think we've already had enough of a cultural shift where intercourse, secretions, and blasphemy really aren't all that big of a deal.  The most offensive things you can say (in parts of America, at least) are more related to racism, sexuality, ableism, and maybe even politics.

If you want your character to have made up swears that don't sound like childish nonsense or just codes for regular swears, figure out what her values are and what she finds most taboo.

Is she extraordinarily picky about the cleanliness of her food?  Maybe a vile act would be to foul a perfectly good meal.  "You salad-dropper!"  "Dirty forks!"  "Filthy-fingered waitress!"

Does she have some weird grudge against tennis players?  "Sneaker-foot!"  "Net-straddler!"  "Pile of rackets!"

Does she revere the wind to the point of religion?  Her swears might blaspheme against it like "Stuffy", "fetid", "breathless",  Or they might blaspheme by presumption like "Blow you away!"  "A tornado upon this place!"

Melkor

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 01:41:51 AM »
Euphemisms and allusions to poop are pro.

Actually, any bodily fluids work.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Hauwke

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:31:53 AM »
You sir are a tockley touching, genatalia cranium!

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:20:26 AM »
Good points, Moe, and something I should consider. Thanks for the input!

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 04:33:32 PM »
For inspiration, the character in question (based off an Armageddon PC):

"Huh." Wisp blinked at him. "And the new guy can plop around the world with a pop, just like the Traveler before he got shot?"

Luca smirked. "You’re trying too hard."

She responded by pointing a finger in his face. "It worked, though. You’re smiling! Sort of, anyway. Soo… can he? Or she."