Author Topic: Why is monogamy so common?  (Read 11837 times)

Athalos

Re: Why is monogamy so common?
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2018, 07:27:29 PM »
I know I don't have much to draw on here since I'm fairly new.... but shouldn't people just play how they want to play? Then... they can be judged IC, by each individual character, the way that specific character views it.

There are a specific set of societal rules we all get in the help files, but surely that just determines how we should react to things and characters, not how we should OOC judge people and how they play.

In the end - to me anyway, it's a game, and we should just all have fun bringing it to life, however we want to.

Also:

Prediction: multi-partner relationships cohabitating apartments discover inventory management is now, foreplay

Code: [Select]
>remove leggings
You can't carry that many items.

>put leggings bed
There's no more room for that here.

>put leggings backpack
A dusty leather backpack doesn't have enough room left for a pair of leggings.

You say, in sirihish, "We could just cuddle?"

Thanks for making me laugh my ass off ahaha

Strongheart

« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2018, 07:46:07 PM »
Totally! I was really hoping this thread would have died out awhile ago because that seems obvious enough after much discussion.

Cind

« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2018, 03:06:39 AM »
I once was in a triangle that worked out pretty well, save for one of the guys leaving a sword lying in the other guy's apartment (? lol) and he'd be the slightly jealous one (as in not killing us, which he easily had the power to do) and it was pretty fun as none of us had conflicting careers or anything like that, and we were all citizens of the same place. We were like our own Hong Kong Triad.

I think I ended up seeing someone outside of those two guys, a Templar. Although I had not actually slept with him before I stored, although the homeboys seemed to think so. I decided to be pregnant after a while, so, that was fun, although I did not play my pc long enough to have the baby. I would chat with the Templar several times over the way before heading on to a new character, and would not really elaborate on the fact that both my short-distance hubbies were desperately wanted criminals. Fun!

It makes for great stories. Math gets more complicated the larger you go, right?
Playing something new could be just what you need!

sleepyhead

« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2018, 09:37:41 AM »
I once was in a triangle that worked out pretty well, save for one of the guys leaving a sword lying in the other guy's apartment (? lol) and he'd be the slightly jealous one (as in not killing us, which he easily had the power to do) and it was pretty fun as none of us had conflicting careers or anything like that, and we were all citizens of the same place. We were like our own Hong Kong Triad.

I think I ended up seeing someone outside of those two guys, a Templar. Although I had not actually slept with him before I stored, although the homeboys seemed to think so. I decided to be pregnant after a while, so, that was fun, although I did not play my pc long enough to have the baby. I would chat with the Templar several times over the way before heading on to a new character, and would not really elaborate on the fact that both my short-distance hubbies were desperately wanted criminals. Fun!

It makes for great stories. Math gets more complicated the larger you go, right?

Haha, I think I remember this.

satine

« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2018, 07:30:27 PM »
Monogamy is biological. It has to do with shared parental raising of children.

(A bunch of dubious social, not biological, arguments.)

The social behaviors arise from what works to successfully propagate genes. An example of a behavior arising from reproductive success: men who pursue sex are more likely to reproduce than those who don't care about it. So men in general end up have strong sex drives, which leads to various sorts of social behavior.

In a society with sparse resources, a woman raising a kid is going to have a better chance if the man contributes than if the man just spreads his seed and walks away. I don't understand why this isn't obvious.

A man who sticks around to contribute is going to want a commitment from the woman, because those who don't care if the children aren't theirs end up having the genes that led to their not caring shrink out of the gene pool.

Yes, behavior is not 100% determined by genetics, but it's huge factor.

And yes, men will sometimes be polygamous when they can get away with it. In the past, the ones for which this was a successful reproductive strategy were the apex males who had the resources for more than one family. Few men can be apex males.

And yes, women will sometimes be polyamorous, although they tend more to serial monogamy. Generally when they have enough of their own resources that they don't need a partner, they can just take them for pleasure. But this historically has been rare. They're more likely to simply cuckold their male partner and pass the child off as his.

except bonobos which is a biological argument.

if anything your response seems more rooted in sociology than in biology.

with bonobos, individuals mate freely with each other... and bonobos care for each others offspring not knowing how related they are to each other.

Just a reminder, this is the world discussion forum and not the rp discussion forum. If you want to have a chat about the way people rp relationships go to that forum.

The question here is a world based discussion. Points like... why are only two people allowed to share an apartment are more valid than "well, bhy dont you just let people rp what they want". We arnt talking about rp. We are talking about the world.
jmordetsky: so I reckon, before 1750, people were fuckin retarded

Namino:
 I'm not going to spawn 100,000,000 eggs like a black marlin just because Mekillots are a thing