Author Topic: Why is monogamy so common?  (Read 5962 times)

Hauwke

Re: Why is monogamy so common?
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2018, 08:05:08 PM »
Having a sexual partner, does not necessitate being in a relationship, or even the rearing of children in any way, shape or form.

ShaLeah

« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2018, 10:29:28 PM »
My opinion that monogamy shouldn't be the norm has come from THIS helpfile which states:
Given that Zalanthas is a place with broad attitudes towards sexuality, it is common to see Zalanthans have multiple sex partners.

Would like to point out that the statement "polygamy is common" does not necessitate "polygamy is the most common" and further, neither of those statements necessitates "monogamy is uncommon."

Polygamy isn't mentioned at ALL. Polygamy is having more than one spouse.
Semantics matter. If having multiple sexual partners is common then anything other than that is less common. Definition matters.  It should matter more than interpretation. When everyone thinks definitions are subject to interpretation everyone can see things different.  Like the dress thing or the laurel thing.

So for shits and giggles!

com·mon
ˈkämən/Submit
adjective
occurring, found, or done often; prevalent.
"salt and pepper are the two most common seasonings"
synonyms:   usual, ordinary, familiar, regular, frequent, recurrent, everyday; More

def·i·ni·tion
ˌdefəˈniSH(ə)n/Submit
noun
a statement of the exact meaning of a word, especially in a dictionary.

in·ter·pre·ta·tion
inˌtərprəˈtāSH(ə)n/Submit
noun
the action of explaining the meaning of something.
"the interpretation of data"
synonyms:   explanation, elucidation, expounding, exposition, explication, exegesis, clarification More
an explanation or way of explaining.
plural noun: interpretations
"this action is open to a number of interpretations"
synonyms:   meaning, understanding, construal, connotation, explanation, inference
"they argued over interpretation"
a stylistic representation of a creative work or dramatic role.
"two differing interpretations, both bearing the distinctive hallmarks of each writer's perspective"
synonyms:   rendition, rendering, execution, presentation, performance, portrayal

Quote from: Oryx
Shal is on point.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.
Quote from: Anonymous
this doesn't sound very fun, shal
You didn't store did you
Because.. I lurve you.

Delirium

• Helper
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Harmless

« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2018, 01:26:57 PM »
when people get butthurt that my PC refused their advances and there happened to be another partner recently, they start filing player complaints that I am inappropriately monogamous.

Unfortunately, it's just your PC my PC is refusing. My PC has other side-bitches that they just didn't tell you about.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

WithSprinkles

« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2018, 02:15:57 PM »
People complaint over that? MULTIPLE people? An IG relationship isn't a hostage situation. I'm going to just leave it at that.

sleepyhead

« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2018, 02:53:51 PM »
How did you know about the complaints? I thought that staff didn't tell people when they get player complaints, especially when they're unfounded like that.

Is Friday

« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2018, 03:21:45 PM »
How did you know about the complaints? I thought that staff didn't tell people when they get player complaints, especially when they're unfounded like that.
That's because it's BS.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Malifaxis

• Thoughts of the Sixth Age
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »
Seems like someone's pretty thirsty.

Here ya go, a harmless glass of water.

The most likely reason that I see for there being a massive amount of pro-monogamy people is simply due to the fact that that is, for now, the Earth cultural norm.  For some reason, even though we can sidestep other simple things like "reality" and "bugs the size of Volkswagens," people seem to cling to this last concept.  For some people, it's about knowing someone has your back above all others.  For other people, it is about control of the other person in the relationship. 

Stepping away from reality to shovel shit for several hours seems easier for people to step away from their cultural comfy blanket of "You are mine."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:00:17 PM by Malifaxis »
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Stop being shitty to each other.

WithSprinkles

« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2018, 04:42:19 PM »
"You are mine." can be really interesting to act out if you feel like pouring energy into that sort of story and dealing with the inherent stuff that could come with it. Done right, it can be go from subtle everyday manipulations, to "My character is literally traveling the Known and jumping at shadows trying to get away from an obsessed person that KEEPS finding them."

Basically, if you offer someone a 'tasty cupcake' and they turn it down, offer it to someone else. Don't club them with a rolling pin and try to drag them into your bakeshop. It's a cupcake. Someone will want it if you offer it nicely. (shrugs) If you get turned down for romance RP, find another character to flirt with that shares your play style and everyone can keep having fun.

ShaLeah

« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2018, 05:47:03 PM »
Mali is mine.

Quote from: Oryx
Shal is on point.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.
this doesn't sound very fun, shal
You didn't store did you
Because.. I lurve you.

Strongheart

« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2018, 05:11:38 AM »
As with any relationship, in-game or otherwise, those who are paired typically come up with certain limits. If your character is someone inclined to have multiple partners then they are to free to stay with those who do the same, just as those who prefer a single partner should also do the same. It isn't against the docs for your character to feel indifferent to a single partner let alone multiple unless you are playing a role that says otherwise, and even then it is still your character. If there is shame given out either way, shame on those who feel that they must do that.

We can settle this without devaluing anyone's opinion on the matter, and I think that we can all agree that we are here to make experiences that we consider to be fun. Monogamy, polygamy, or snu-snu givers... it doesn't matter! Just play your character how you feel it should be played and try to adhere to the guidelines that are enforced.
Die gedanken sind frei.

X-D

« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2018, 07:41:36 AM »
Never had a monogamous PC.....have I had PCs with more then one relationship at a time? Nope. Why because one is all I the player have time for. I bet that is a consideration for many players and that it is simply easier to claim to be monogamous then to find some other way to explain IC that 1 relationship takes up 30% of my arming time....why would I add more? Well maybe not hard to do IC I suppose...but the results are the same.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

tapas

« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2018, 06:42:19 AM »
My best charitable guess is that very few players have the experiences to draw upon alternative forms of relationships or sexuality so they tend to avoid them. Or it's even just easier to slip into the mold you already fit into while role playing.

And I'd venture it's harder to play a character as alternative sexually without getting some sort of unwanted attention from other characters. Positive or negative.

boog

« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2018, 06:46:35 PM »
Nobody is monogamous in Zalanthas. Y'all are trippin'.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Strongheart

« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »
... I can't believe we're still talking about this. Probably shouldn't have ever been brought up to begin with lol

Nobody is monogamous in Zalanthas. Y'all are trippin'.

Thanks for adding more trash to the garbage fire >:(
Die gedanken sind frei.

boog

« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »
You're welcome. :)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Tuannon

« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2018, 09:32:33 PM »

I went on a long rant about whether I 'scene' or not, then I realized this thread is about monogamy. Which I would think has been beaten enough with the investigation stick.