Author Topic: Dominions 5 - Multiplayer  (Read 1179 times)

Pale Horse

Re: Dominions 5 - Multiplayer
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »
New turn's up!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Zoltan

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2017, 10:01:15 PM »
Just a heads up, there appears to be a bug where cavalry with standard lances keep the lance after the first hit. I saw that happening tonight when I was playing some SP. This probably explains why heavy cav seems even more absurdly deadly in this game. You can confirm the bug by viewing a cavalry unit's battle log and seeing that they use the lance in every attack.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Marauder Moe

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »
I thought lances could be used any round in battle but they got bonuses on first attack.

I think I've seen some cavalry that only have a lance.

Zoltan

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2017, 12:30:51 AM »
Yeah, there are classes of light lances that are used throughout the entire battle. For example, Caelum has them, and my light cav in Sauromatia have them. But heavy cavalry and other knights have a lance that states in its stats that it can only be used once. The lance is "shattered" and the unit goes on using a sword or whatever, and usually the horse's own hoof. Light cavalry with the perma-lances typically only have the perma-lance. (In fact, that general rule is a major contributor to why my Oioropata are special: they have light-cavalry-ish speed and a light lance, but also their mount has a bite attack).

I haven't confirmed if all types of lances do indeed only add the charge bonus on the first attack, as intended. I'm pretty sure that's the case since lance fliers and cav would be absolutely ridiculous if they had the bonus on every attack.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

racurtne

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2017, 09:00:04 AM »
Turn 5 is up.
Alea iacta est

Kialae

• Publicity Coordinator
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »
I did my turn. :3

mattrious

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
So I purchased the game (first Dominions that I've played) and I am loving it. Though, I am finding it difficult locating resources for strategies on pretender gods, nations, etc. Anyone have a good site for strategy discussions or good templates for pretender gods, and so on?

Marauder Moe

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »
Short answer: No

Long answer: Your best bet is combing through this forum http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?act=idx  Lots of Dom4 stuff is still applicable to Dom5.  Some Dom3 stuff is still applicable.  Not a lot has been tested and verified good strategies for Dom5, though, since the game just came out.

Longer answer: There are a few categories of pretender designs, though.
Awake Expander - A monstrous "awake" pretender designed to be able to conquering independent provinces by itself early game.  These designs typically need to include some sort of extra defensive mechanisms like regeneration, recuperation, and/or awe or else your god will accumulate wounds and eventually become useless.
Major Bless - In Dom4, the most powerful bless effects still functioned before the pretender has spawned (dormant/imprisoned).  In Dom5, most of them are "incarnate" blesses where the pretender must be spawned and alive to function.  This means in order to have multiple powerful bless effects you'll need to sacrifice scales in order to afford the pretender as "awake"
Rainbow - This pretender, usually one of the human(oid) mage bodies, has a lot of different magic paths at low (1-4) levels.  They can be used for walking around your territory and searching for magic sites and/or crafting a wide variety of magic items to support your commanders.
Scales - This pretender is usually set as dormant/imprisoned and/or has low magic paths in order to afford high nation scales (Order 3, Production 3, Growth 3).  This is for an empire focusing more on troops/armies than casting powerful, high-path, end-game spells.

Most "competitive" pretenders will be one of those categories.  However, the game is perfectly playable with a general purpose pretender or even one you just think is cool.  Being new, it's probably best to have fun and experiment rather than worry about optimal builds.  That said, if there's a particular nation that interests you I imagine all your GDB Dominions players would be happy to provide tips.

racurtne

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2017, 04:10:10 PM »
With the new way pretenders are built, I think mixed strategies are much more viable.

But yea, if you want to learn basics the onky advice for nation choice I have is don't do blood first thing.

Once you get a handle on the mechanics, blood is more doable. It involves a lot of micro and doing it right is tough.

Inks is very experienced in blood magic though so if you want to learn it, he is a good one to ask.
Alea iacta est

Marauder Moe

« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »
Oh yeah, blood...

Man I have untold hours in this game and I still don't quite understand how to run a blood empire, lol.

Zoltan

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
I learned blood the easiest by playing EA Mictlan. You have solid sacreds and troops that get the job done. You NEED to use blood sacrifice to survive, which teaches you how to get a blood economy going by necessity. It's not a side thing for them, which also helps a lot. You have good N mages that can do things like summon up wolves for patrolling blood hunt provinces.

Finally, Mictlan has some good sacred blood summons (Ozelotls are the biggie) that further incentivize getting your blood economy going and showing you just how ridiculous it can get.

Blood is often a side flavor for nations, and I think that makes it trickier to learn on them. Blood is awesome for Sauromatia, for example, but I wouldn't recommend it over Mictlan as a learning experience by any means.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Inks

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2017, 07:17:50 AM »
Also mictlan has slave freespawn which makes patrolling to keep unrest down a breeze.

I play blood nations quite a bit and if you want to get a handle of the game I wouldn't recommend it to start with, the micro is real.
Quote from: Is Friday
Quote from: Synthesis
I hate to break it to you noobs, but penetration isn't the only way to achieve orgasm.Do I have to fucking explain everything here?
Tell me more about your Golden Standard of HG Mudsex RP

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2017, 07:45:33 AM »
The next turn is up.

Kialae

• Publicity Coordinator
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2017, 01:59:51 PM »
I did my turn!

Zoltan

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2017, 02:09:14 PM »
Looks like that bug I mentioned was fixed. :)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/722060/allnews/
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Marauder Moe

« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2017, 02:17:28 PM »
Ah, cool.  Server should be updated.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2017, 01:04:26 PM »
Turn up.

Kialae

• Publicity Coordinator
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2017, 01:39:50 PM »
I did my turn!

Marauder Moe

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »
So apparently trying to play a turn when your version is newer crashes the server.   ::)

Server is now updated to 5.06.  Whoever most recently tried to do a turn should check to see if it got in or not (I suspect not).

Zoltan

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »
So apparently trying to play a turn when your version is newer crashes the server.   ::)

Server is now updated to 5.06.  Whoever most recently tried to do a turn should check to see if it got in or not (I suspect not).

That was probably me. Fortunately, my turn seemed to have saved. I double-checked everything, of course. :D
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

BadSkeelz

« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:11 PM »
What's the state of the gameworld right now? Anything particularly interesting or amusing?
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Pale Horse

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
What's the state of the gameworld right now? Anything particularly interesting or amusing?

We're all still positioning, so far as I know.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
In the interests of full disclosure, I'm getting to the point where I can't do my turn before work.

YOU GUYS MADE ME LATE TO WORK YESTERDAY I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY

racurtne

« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2017, 12:46:23 PM »
I remember when you sarcastically thanked me for getting Zoltan into dominions 4.

Now look. How times have changed.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:08:03 PM by racurtne »
Alea iacta est

Zoltan

« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »

I had a madman join. He was armed with a cod and tried to site search despite not having any magic paths. So I had him "site search" an indy throne to see what was there, and he tragically died by not following his order to GTFO when the enemy army showed up. I figured he'd die in the retreat phase, not ineptly flailing on the battlefield. Still, in the end he served No Step on Snek well.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples