Author Topic: Dominions 5 - Multiplayer  (Read 1178 times)

racurtne

Dominions 5 - Multiplayer
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:21:57 PM »
I bought it. I want a few days to check it out. But this will be the thread to discuss who is in, decide time period, and call nations. Who wants to fite?

UPDATE:
Nations and their Players:

Marverni - Racurtne
Ermor - Inky
Abysia - Kialae
Xibalba - Montarion
Hinnom - Inks
Sauromatia - Zoltan
Helheim - Pale horse
Yomi - Marauder Moe
Ulm - Valeria
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:01:16 PM by racurtne »
Alea iacta est

Pale Horse

Re: Dominions 5 - Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:13:27 PM »
fhyit fyhit fhyit fhyit fhyit fhyit!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:27:32 PM »
GOD FIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

I figured we'd go in chronological order and start with early age.

Also, since some people may have been soured on getting knocked out early in FFA games, do we want to institute any metagame rules to push wars into mid/late-game?  Like mandatory 1-2 year starting truce?  Or a game with AI players and no human on human action until the AI's are dead?  3-way disciple game?  Co-op disciple game?

Zoltan

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 11:50:57 PM »
Count me in as well. I'm not sure about the truce. The vagaries of a start could lead to someone's expansion being cut off with no risk if they're not allowed to fight back. Cutting someone off and bottling them up could be viewed as an act of aggression, even if no battles are fought. And if someone's cooped up in the start, they may be boned anyway. Though I'm more for FFA, I'm pretty ambivalent about the specifics and will agree to give a shot at whatever people want to try.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

racurtne

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:20:32 AM »
Ok so EA.

I prefer machiavellian FFA. Disciple games never seem as cool. I do propose we just sorta police ourselves and let the less experienced fight each other at first while us more experienced players beat ourselves to death on each other to give them a fighting chance.

Nothing binding of course.
Alea iacta est

montarion

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 05:36:05 AM »
Soon as this came out I logged in here to have a look, and whaddya know. All the usual suspects. :D

Definitely in. The new Bless system has me pondering the possibilities. Regenerating Undead with built-in MR whaaaaaat?

Larger maps maybe as a buffer to let people build up? That can lead to egregiously long games, though.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 10:47:29 AM »
Well, that's what the "cataclysm" option seems to be for.   :D

But yeah, I guess in the past I've aimed for the normal ~15 provinces per player maps.  We could do Large (20 per player) or Enormous (25 per player) to give more buffer, delay earlier wars, and make them more epic.

Also yes, gentleman's agreement to not "go for the throat" on the newbs is also an option.  Though I'm not entirely sure I know off the top of my head which of us counts as vets and which are newbs.

Anyway, looks like we're up to 5?

Zoltan

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
A slightly larger map with cataclysm on may do the trick.

I have no clue what nation I'm going to play. I'll try to narrow it down over the next day or so. :D
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Marauder Moe

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 11:44:01 AM »
Is there a nation changelog anywhere?

I've been poking at EA Yomi.  It's very different now, and possibly not shit.  Can't recruit demon troops anymore, but they're random freespawns instead.  There's also a cool mechanic where your Yamanari "upgrade" via a pair of 6D/12D rituals.

Indy provinces seem a little more varied now.  Fewer "vanilla" provinces, more casters/elephants.

Zoltan

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »
I'm not familiar with any changelogs besides various community discussions. I do want to say that Yomi wasn't shit in Dom4, though. You just had to embrace the chaos is all and forget about having a standing army. :D That said, I really like these new changes as they enforce what I perceive to be the flavor of the nation. Another cool thing about the Yamanari I just noticed is that she doesn't require a fort to be recruited, which is potentially huge considering her gold cost.

They've improved the UI so much for the nation previews, but honestly, I'm still waiting on the mod inspector to come out. There still seems to be no way to preview magic items of any given path or Construction level. Also, you can't preview national summons, which is quite unfortunate.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Marauder Moe

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 12:42:26 PM »
Well, there's always the manual/tables: http://www.illwinter.com/dom5/docs.html

Pale Horse

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
Well, there's always the manual/tables: http://www.illwinter.com/dom5/docs.html

I'd recommend giving at least a cursory glance over the manual.  There's plenty of things that are detailed and outlined in it that you don't necessarily get told during the game.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

racurtne

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 03:12:54 PM »
Cataclysm seems like a great compromise to keep the game time reasonable. 60 at most?
Alea iacta est

Marauder Moe

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »
I think some of our games were still legitimately competitive at 5 years, but certainly most of them were lopsided or stale by the 7th.

In other news, there are some hidden shortcuts on the pretender creation screen.  Hit "?" for a list.  There's a deity randomizer and a spell list.

racurtne

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »
72 turns seems good then.

Sweet shortcut
Alea iacta est

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 05:45:10 AM »
So this is why no one's posting in the Cataclysm thread anymore.  :'(

*feels alone now*

Pale Horse

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 10:31:01 AM »
So this is why no one's posting in the Cataclysm thread anymore.  :'(

*feels alone now*

I have stories, still!  It's just been nothing exciting.  I don't want to bore anyone with "planted some crops, grew some food, ate it, read a book."

Marauder Moe

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
Don't worry, Dominions isn't really a binge game.

That said, if I put up the server today would you all be willing to kick off the game on, say, Friday?

Pale Horse

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 12:21:46 PM »
Don't worry, Dominions isn't really a binge game.

That said, if I put up the server today would you all be willing to kick off the game on, say, Friday?

I'd be able to kick it off, but I wouldn't be able to submit turns during the weekend until after 5 pm.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 12:31:10 PM »
Ya, I generally don't expect people to do turns during the weekends.

Zoltan

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 02:16:22 PM »
I can be ready by Friday.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Zoltan

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 02:19:08 PM »
By the way, this thread contains a ton of the not-obvious/publicized changes made to various aspects of the game: http://steamcommunity.com/app/722060/discussions/0/1489992713687178006/
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

racurtne

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »
I calling Marverni.
Alea iacta est

Inky

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 05:18:10 PM »
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for EA Ermor. In pencil, anyways.

Kialae

• Publicity Coordinator
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 05:26:19 PM »
I'm an utter newb so don't know what I'm doing. Jingo insists I play though. Can I be Abyssia?