Author Topic: Public Feedback  (Read 303 times)

Brokkr

• Administrator
Public Feedback
« on: November 25, 2017, 11:11:23 PM »
Its been a whole two weeks now that the new classes have been available to be play tested.  The purpose of this thread is to solicit feedback from you that I can pass on anonymously to the overall playerbase on your experience play testing so far and impressions of the class you are playtesting.  The idea is I will pass on whatever you post, positive or negative, as long as it is appropriate (including too many specifics or whatnot), posting anonymously in the thread Nergal started ages ago.

I don't need a word wall or anything, a couple of sentences is fine.  This is more about including the overall playerbase in the process, to the extent that we can.  I will probably post comments on Monday or Tuesday.

Also, if you haven't yet, please put in a request with your first week's impressions.  I know there is the thread for that as well, but you can be more explicit in the request tool and I can mark off my list of who I have received that feedback from!

tapas

Re: Public Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 04:22:50 PM »
Based on my experience with one class, it seems like some good thought has been put into the new systems. Any worried rangers afraid that they're going to lose their favorite guild should not be.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:25:03 PM by tapas »

infinitehope

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:09:43 PM »
I find the new guild I have been testing to be very flexible and adaptable to a wide variety of city roles with a little bit of forethought. I find myself with more options than I had on similar old guilds.

Nao

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »
The class I've been trying has a pretty broad selection of starting skills and gets even more versatile with a little branching (which doesn't take as long as it used to due to skill levels starting out a bit higher). It also seems to work by itself, I didn't have to pick a subguild to fill any gaps. I'm not sure if the skillcaps will work out, but at this point that's speculation as I haven't hit them yet.

The guild sniffing is pretty hilarious  ;D
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

th3kaiser

• Helper
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »
Having picked one of the varieties of heavy combat, mine very much has that warrior vibe but with a few extra bits and bobs to make it feel a bit more a versatile. Since it's mostly combat, it's crazy early days to give too much feedback but it's going fairly well in that regard.

mattrious

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 07:50:34 PM »
I'm trying a class that would fall in the ranger class family and it has been a blast to play so far. All the important skills start out at a reasonable level, and the class feels very well balanced. Looking forward to seeing how the class continues to progress.

Zwen

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 09:18:03 PM »
I'm very encouraged about the new classes by what I've seen so far. For the class I'm trying, the starting skills and their levels allow for a more capable, versatile character right from the start.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:28:17 AM »
The class I am playing is one of the city based more mixed classes and to be honest, it's pretty awesome.  I like how I have some combat skills (surprisingly good ones) and also a bit of crafting.  Kinda wish the crafting was a bit higher starting skill wise as finding usable recopies has been rough, but it's rather nice to have some starting, useful, crafts.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Fahrenheit

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:37:28 PM »
So far I’m a big fan.  I was pleasantly surprised by both the collection of skills and the starting levels.  Don’t mistake the “light” in “light combat” for “somewhat weak” like I first did.  A “light” PC with good stats can still wreck house.
You should not see the desert simply as some faraway place of little rain. There are many forms of thirst.
-William Langewiesche

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 06:30:08 PM »
If you were looking for a break from warrior, ranger, merchant, and thief classes times three, then you'll enjoy this.  I've only played one class, but I can tell from my own class and the feedback from others that this is going to bring a lot more variety to the game.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:39:00 PM by SuchDragonWow »
Where it will go

Ansel

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
My class has a wide range of useful skills that could let a character fresh out of chargen fit into most of the city clans without raising an eyebrow or having everyone overlook the fact that they never improve at anything.  Pretty sustainable, but with just enough limitations that involving other characters as an indie is preferable.  I chose a non-karma subguild to see what the newbie experience would be, and high grades so far.

Master Sandwich

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »
I'm very pleased with the class I'm testing so far. I was surprised that the class delivered much more than I was expecting. It's a great improvement over the guild that currently serves this class's role.

Nao

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 01:41:05 PM »
It's been over three months - are there plans to do this again? I think it might alleviate some of the concerns with the new classes being nerfed compared to the current system, or making things hard if you play solo a lot.

Van

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 03:03:04 PM »
Plans to do what again, exactly? People are still able to test these, I only just joined.

Nao

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 02:41:47 AM »
Plans to do what again, exactly? People are still able to test these, I only just joined.

A round of anonymous, public feedback for the gdb thread on the guild changes.

AdamBlue

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 01:44:40 PM »
Everyone is super excited about the new guilds, but it seems I got the short end of the stick. At least, with the guild I chose. The starting skills are excellent, and it seem like they are great for making a character that is immediately and instantly useful. However, as the 'long term' comes around, it's glaringly obvious that my character is stunted. Like a high performance engine, it impresses and is easy to use, but over time, without a change of oil, is going to burn out. Looking at the skill list, this is obvious. It's almost disappointing how the subguild, at least for this type of character, allows for less creativity and forces more necessity, limiting the choices of what is 'acceptable' due to it.
Any fighting guild must be able to ride well, or they will die extremely easily when they leave the city. This is a fact, and ergo this limits the subguilds to logically include only subguilds that can ride due to the fact this inherent skill has been stripped. This means the best of warriors will no longer be able to enjoy a passion for weaponcrafting, armormaking, or any other more mundane craft while also being a heavy combat character, they MUST take something with ride or immediately be gimped more than they already are, as they lack some incredibly vital skill. I understand the point is to make subguilds better, but having gimped regular guilds and still-the-same subguilds, it fails to work when the subguilds were designed for the original guilds.
In addition, this means that my 'class' of choice probably shouldn't be anything of the magical variety unless they plan to permanently reside within a city. The lack of ability to both skin and ride severely limits their ability to operate in non-city enviroments despite the moniker that they're supposed to be a general class instead of limited to the city like a criminal character or best suited for the wild like a wilderness character.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 11:20:39 PM »
I'd be interested to hear how you think ride works with the new classes.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 11:45:05 PM »
Also, your class is probably the most unexciting, currently.  We are still in beta because we know there are a couple of classes that still need some pizzaz.

The lack of skinning was intentional.  Current warrior with current warrior skin levels can very quickly become a money machine.  The desire was to limit that to at least just the classes that have Wilderness competency.  Or folks that make a trade off for a subguild with skinning.

IssacF

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 05:44:27 AM »
The class I play, which is more for wilderness, could use a few things like Kick or Disarm, Rescue, Sneak and Hide (it feels weird having to branch their specialty) but other then that and after several hours of surviving the desert the class is extremely resilient. Even my wife pointed that out.

Also you -really- should release these classes. They feel extremely balanced. I'm hoping others can soon play them because it will definitely balance a lot in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:49:44 AM by IssacF »