Why bother with slings on star of bows

Started by SomeElf, November 24, 2017, 10:11:58 PM

Quote from: Veselka on November 26, 2017, 07:27:07 PM
It's a MUD, not a MUSH. When people have code questions, the typical response (when applicable) is related to code, not to RP. Sometimes RP is applicable, sometimes it isn't. Most of the time, we are all on our A game trying to RP with the best of the Veterans and RP Kings and Queens. But code is there, it is mysterious at times, and people will ask questions.

Which is fine. Everyone has their own play styles. Some prefer having a coded advantage, some prefer to use code to flavor their RP. So if this is how you like to play, then go ahead. I don't think anyone is blaming anyone for anything, so take it easy. :)
I ruin immershunz.

"Armageddon is, first and foremost, a role-playing game. Roleplaying is central to the game environment and is not considered an option by the creators of the world. It is a requirement. If you do not want to roleplay, this is not the game for you. The game has a combat system, magick spells, and thousands of other features for added realism, but you must keep in mind that the only reason everyone is here is to have fun while acting out a role. The most important thing is playing your character according to their own personality in order to help in the creation of a realistic fantasy world."
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Quote from: SomeElf on November 24, 2017, 10:11:58 PM
Is there a reason to use slings instead of bows besides cost

Because you have slings on your skill list and not archery.  And maybe other stuff.

Just for the record: I'm not looking to twink up or ignore all in character motivations. I will take those into account. However I also wanted to know what coded reasons there were (If any) to use a sling. If I'm playing a character where cost of arrows isn't an issue (e.g. because I have the Fletchery skill) then it's fair for me to wonder which weapon is better and given I have the more "advanced" skill whether I should bother with the "lesser" skill.

Tabletop gamers (which do have a cross section with MUDders) often get into the trap that using suboptimal weapons makes them better roleplayers. It can. But it doesn't have to. Saying "for the RP" isn't helpful unless it's truly self evident what the RP reasons are (such as someone asking why they would drink kalan fruit juice compared to belshun fruit juice or why wear red when you can wear white). I couldn't see what RP reason someone would have for using slings vs bows except for the aesthetic of wanting to make your character appear (and possibly be) poor (which I felt I had specifically asked to not discuss in the OP). Some of the RP suggestions seemed quite dubious and nonsensical hence my earlier response. Likewise with "don't worry about the code, worry about your character." Not all characters have a driving reason to use weapon X vs weapon Y.

Anyway, thanks again for those who took the time to help answer the question.

Slings are way better for hunting dumb NPCs:  1) the ammo is free and easy to get (also, the sling item itself is cheap and easy to find); 2) maximum damage doesn't seem to be as high as for archery, but it's within 1 or 2 shots difference, which doesn't matter for dumb NPCs.

Bows are better for PK:  1) you can poison the arrows; 2) the maximum damage seems to be higher; 3) the downside is that the ammo is either expensive or fairly time-consuming to get (time=money, even if technically you can craft the arrow yourself); 4) if you don't use macros, the typing requirement for follow-up shots with a bow is simpler.

I've never noticed a "stun damage" benefit to using slings.  I've never witnessed a critter or a PC get KO'ed by a sling...only regular stunned/mortally wounded.

Crossbows have a particular advantage for magickers now, but...it's probably more of a theorycrafting, very situational sort of advantage that really isn't going to come into play much.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

It would depend on the game as well. I am a hunter IRL and I typically use a bow. I adjust my arrowheads based on what I am hunting. Broadheads for large game, "judo" tips for small game. For smaller game you usually want blunt force damage as opposed to large game where blood loss is desired. If I use the same ammo on a rabbit that I use on a hog I am just going to create a wasteful mess.

I have seen hunters IRL use slings for small game with great results. They are easy to carry, ammo is easy to find, and it does not destroy the meat that you are hunting for.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra