Why bother with slings on star of bows

Started by SomeElf, November 24, 2017, 10:11:58 PM

Is there a reason to use slings instead of bows besides cost

There is quite a number of reasons. RP for example. There is the coded different kind of damage as well which could be viewed as slightly less than lethal. (A flying rock to the head is still very lethal, be real).

Quote from: Hauwke on November 24, 2017, 10:39:29 PMThere is quite a number of reasons.
Well, that's the reason for creating this thread. To find out what they are.

Quote from: Hauwke on November 24, 2017, 10:39:29 PMRP for example.
Can you provide some examples of what RP is enabled by using a sling instead of a bow? Other than getting to RP being too poor to afford a bow?

Quote from: Hauwke on November 24, 2017, 10:39:29 PMThere is the coded different kind of damage
Is there a way to get more information on this? Are you talking about them being better against certain types of armor?

Quote from: Hauwke on November 24, 2017, 10:39:29 PM(A flying rock to the head is still very lethal, be real).
So is an arrow to the neck.

Quote from: Hauwke on November 24, 2017, 10:39:29 PMas well which could be viewed as slightly less than lethal.
So the only difference you can actually speak about is the advantage of appearing weaker than someone else? I guess I could always throw chipped daggers at people if that was something I was interested in playing.

November 24, 2017, 11:13:57 PM #3 Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:22:43 PM by Grapes
RP wise, if you've ever seen a video of a trained sling-user going nuts with one on a wooden post, it's enough to make your skin crawl imagining getting popped somewhere vital with a stone going that speed... can see how David took down Goliath after observing something like that. It's not codedly optimal, although it is a thematic hunting tool given the technology level.

EDIT: Also I tend to prefer clubs because they're less than lethal in a number of scenarios. Realistically, however, getting bludgeoned over the head is nasty business and can be quite fatal, sometimes, OHKs result IG from using too big a club on too soft a target. That they CAN be used non-lethally doesn't mean clubs are of lesser lethal potential than other weapons, it simply means you get more opportunities to decide how you really want a conflict to play out. Stabbing weapons, with some, ahem, tactical considerations can also potentially be used in such a way. Swords and axes are far less versatile, though potentially more potent depending on scenario.

If all you want to do is murder things, well, not my playstyle, but also not my place to judge. I'm not sure the game is about optimal gear allocation, but to some it's very important, so I don't want to belittle that, but I would like to encourage other players to think outside the optimal box.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

I can also RP hunting with bow and arrow.

Once upon a time you use to use slings because it would help with aim and targeting small creatures from a distance. If the answer to not using bows is there isn't one besides cost, that's fine. But these bullshit answers of "because it makes you a better RPer" are just stupid.

Quote from: SomeElf on November 24, 2017, 11:20:41 PM
I can also RP hunting with bow and arrow.

Once upon a time you use to use slings because it would help with aim and targeting small creatures from a distance. If the answer to not using bows is there isn't one besides cost, that's fine. But these bullshit answers of "because it makes you a better RPer" are just stupid.

I wouldn't say "stupid", but I would say adding some flavour to your character's choice of arms can be a rewarding experience despite the hit to killing potential.
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Slings are probably a better option if you want to knock your target out without killing it outright (stun dmg vs health dmg)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on November 24, 2017, 11:27:02 PM
Slings are probably a better option if you want to knock your target out without killing it outright (stun dmg vs health dmg)
Thankyou.

To elaborate on my points.

Rp:
You can rp being a hidey little asshole chucking rocks, if thats not your deal whatever. You can also play the poor hunter, but you dont even need to play the poor hunter with one, I would assume that many of humanities very best hunters used a sling and a trusty rock to fell small-medium game on their lonesome. Hell, it was used as a warfare weapon too.

Codedly:
They do just about the same amount of damage as a bow, if not more. I have felled a number of things with just two rocks connecting with body shots, granted, my experience with it is coming from one with a very high strength. And, it does bludgeoning damage as apposed to piercing. In terms of HP damage, I can only speculate that it is exactly the same, but, bludgeoning does do stun and thus, a rock to the head of a guy might knock him out instead of kill him, or at the very least open up the oppurtunity to knock him out easier another one.

As a final note, they can shoot just as far as a bow, ammo is cheaper, and they seemingly do the exact same levels of damage. Take that as you will.

QuoteBut these bullshit answers of "because it makes you a better RPer" are just stupid.

Just a note.

This is a roleplaying mud.  Those answers weren't stupid.  They were 100% correct, and they never said because 'it makes you a better RPer'. They said that they offered different roleplay options. If you're going to have an attitude about that idea, particularly when they actually -stress- that it's a roleplay-oriented reason rather than a coded one, you're going to have a great time on the GDB.

As you already mentioned, the main reason people have used slings, historically, is as a way to avoid the costs of bows and arrows.  Bows are, relatively speaking, very pricy and expensive to continue firing, whereas slings require little more than a small investment and some time out looking for ammunition.  With some changes to archery in recent times, slings were made as or nearly-as effective as bows, but with upcoming class changes I would expect to see different reasons for not using bows.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Slings don't seem to lack much stopping power compared to bows.  What they may lack is range, although I haven't extensively tested that. Given the technology we're working with in zalanthas, slings should be able to compete with all but the best bows for range.

A definite disadvantage slings have is the inability to deliver poison.

A real advantage a sling has over a bow is weight. A bow, quiver, and arrows can add up to a fair amount of weight. A sling and a few stones is much lighter, making it an attractive option to someone who isn't as strong or who may already be burdened with armor. A sling can thus be a more effective sidearm than a bow and arrow kit.

Another (RP only) reason would be not having holes in the pelt you're trying to get.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Nao on November 25, 2017, 04:48:16 PM
Another (RP only) reason would be not having holes in the pelt you're trying to get.

Which is why you go dwarf and approach your prey with bags filled with rocks, bare-handed.

Half-giant one-punch the critter in the face, -totally- fine.

Quote from: Hauwke on November 25, 2017, 05:33:35 PM

Always figured anything living would pop like a balloon filled with blood.

Quote from: Grapes on November 25, 2017, 05:58:55 PM

Given the size, I would assume its closer to an adult head-punching a child.

November 25, 2017, 06:44:31 PM #16 Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:50:20 PM by Grapes
Quote from: Hauwke on November 25, 2017, 06:24:21 PM
Quote from: Grapes on November 25, 2017, 05:58:55 PM

Given the size, I would assume its closer to an adult head-punching a child.

Umm, must object there, number one, adults do not possess HG strength in comprison to their offspring...

EDIT: I mean fuck dude, it's not like popping a grape. In fact, the skeletal tissue of children is more flexible and resistant to damage, I don't want to describe how I know this other than to say it was, um, personal experience. There is no real world comparison for Zalanthan Half-Giants.

sure there is.

imagine a moose, only like... 500 pounds bigger.

now imagine it punching you in the face.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Are slings more deadly if you have higher strength?  Are bows more deadly if you have high agility?

I have a funny feeling stats play into the both of them quite heavily.

November 26, 2017, 09:08:45 AM #20 Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:56:16 PM by The Lonely Hunter
Don't worry so much about the code. That seems to be a trend lately and it isn't really what Armageddon is about. When you're too focused on things like that you miss what the game really has to offer and you are robbing yourself of a rather unique experience.

There are several other active posts right now where people are bringing their real life feelings into a game, seemingly unable to draw a line between the two. Put yourself in-character, not just a projection of yourself. This is a mean world. You are not entitled to anything. Being nice is not the norm. Nobody cares about your feelings. Anyway, this is getting off topic. I apologize. Back on..

Don't be so concerned with what stats affect what skills or what your coded advantages are. Select the option that makes sense for your character regardless of advantage or disadvantage. You may know that using X is codedly better than Y but does your character? You may know that doing Z will likely lead to something bad happening with your character but do they? Consider your character's motivations, personality, history. Not your own. Think about who they are. Don't approach it looking at the situation from a skills and stat advantage viewpoint otherwise you will miss the experience that is unique to Armageddon. Sometimes your character is at a disadvantage and you know it, but they might not. Remember you and your character don't always know the same things. You're not playing you, you're playing a role. Skills play a part, sure, but RP comes first.

Have fun and enjoy what Armageddon is.

(edited: cleaned this up some, I was using voice-to-text previously)
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

You can be a RP king while also worrying about code.

Slings are definitely more deadly with higher strength (everything is deadly with higher strength) and high agility will help you hit critical spots (like neck and head) more often.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

November 26, 2017, 11:19:45 AM #22 Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:22:19 AM by nauta
Quote from: redkank on November 25, 2017, 11:09:33 PM
Are slings more deadly if you have higher strength?  Are bows more deadly if you have high agility?

The agility score is used to determine speed of reaction in combat, missile fire bonuses, ability to dodge objects, escape capture, avoid dangerous spell effects, leap across distances, climb walls, and picking pockets of unsuspecting bystanders.

Agility affects the actual chance to succeed. The chance to hit drops as the distance to the target increases. Crossbows and slings must be loaded before they can be used. All bows, crossbows, and slings have a 'maximum range' and are designed for a particular strength (i.e., the strength required to pull the string back). Those persons shot at will usually become very angry.

It isn't clear if 'missile fire' includes both sling use and archery, but my hunch is that it does.  It is also important to bear in mind that those persons shot at will usually become very angry;D

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

If you're playing a skill/stats sheet and not a character, I'm not particularly interested in roleplaying with you.

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on November 26, 2017, 09:08:45 AM
Don't worry so much about the code. That seems to be a trend lately and it isn't really what Armageddon is about. When you're too focused on things like that you miss what the game really has to offer and you are robbing yourself of a rather unique experience.

There are several other active posts right now where people are bringing their real life feelings into a game, seemingly unable to draw a line between the two. Put yourself in-character, not just a projection of yourself. This is a mean world. You are not entitled to anything. Being nice is not the norm. Nobody cares about your feelings. Anyway, this is getting off topic. I apologize. Back on..

Don't be so concerned with what stats affect what skills or what your coded advantages are. Select the option that makes sense for your character regardless of advantage or disadvantage. You may know that using X is codedly better than Y but does your character? You may know that doing Z will likely lead to something bad happening with your character but do they? Consider your character's motivations, personality, history. Not your own. Think about who they are. Don't approach it looking at the situation from a skills and stat advantage viewpoint otherwise you will miss the experience that is unique to Armageddon. Sometimes your character is at a disadvantage and you know it, but they might not. Remember you and your character don't always know the same things. You're not playing you, you're playing a role. Skills play a part, sure, but RP comes first.

Have fun and enjoy what Armageddon is.

(edited: cleaned this up some, I was using voice-to-text previously)

It's a MUD, not a MUSH. When people have code questions, the typical response (when applicable) is related to code, not to RP. Sometimes RP is applicable, sometimes it isn't. Most of the time, we are all on our A game trying to RP with the best of the Veterans and RP Kings and Queens. But code is there, it is mysterious at times, and people will ask questions.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant