Author Topic: Brainstorming Skills  (Read 922 times)

AdamBlue

Re: Brainstorming Skills
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2018, 10:16:28 AM »
If you do manage to get that stuff set up, wherein objects can become containers, also link it to a skill that allows you to either add extra armor to 'regular' looking clothes or simply hide armor under your clothes. This looks like a regular, comfy hat, but it's actually got a bone skullcap hidden in the brim.
Nice silky shirt, that won't stop me from swording yo- Oh, you're wearing a thin set of chainmail underneath.
The 'rinth already has 'weaponized clothing' out the wazoo, why not 'defensive' clothing. And if you could make 'shitty' clothing way more armored than it looks, than you can walk around without being hassled.
Heck, maybe make it super significant, and make recognizing said armor a use for the analyze command.
'This shirt is regularly stitched.'
'This shirt has patches of thin, scrap leather added to make it more sturdy.'
'This shirt is banded with an internal layer of sturdy leather to make it slightly protective.'
'This shirt seems to be armored with hardened leather on the interior, making it almost as good as real armor.'
/
'This shirt is regularly stitched.'
'This shirt has a few choice pieces of shell/chitin added to certain vital points on the body.'
'This shirt bears a few rigid lengths of shell/chitin to provide protection.'
'This shirt bears internal ribs made of chitin, reasonably keeping the wearer safer.'

Of course, wearing what is essentially a 'kevlar vest' is never going to compare to wearing your full set of riot gear. But having a nice mix of skill, stealth, and protection can become an extremely valuable market. Especially for people who like to be fashionable, but safe, or assassins who plan on getting their hands dirty. Nothing is more disarming than seeing a merchant wearing plain, fancy clothes out in the desert.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2018, 07:01:43 AM »
Really thinking toolmaking needs some work on the crafts in it.  It's rather basic in what there is to offer with it.  There are some great crafts that come from Chaltons for it, but I've yet to really find much else that is good with it that has the level of crafting those do.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

AdamBlue

« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2018, 07:52:13 PM »
You know, the Touched guilds are a pretty cool concept. More subtle attunation to magickal ability through skills and traits.

Maybe, though, once all the new guilds come out, you lads can come out with a 'Attuned' Magical subguild. Kind of like Touched, but hear me out.

It would be based on your main guild, and depending on which one you took, it would give magical abilities that only supplemented that one. So you would have less variety than a touched or a regular subguild magicker, but it would be more useful for that character type, and would only grow and foster better if they reached a certain point within their mundane lives.
Something sorta like:
There's that up and coming new guy in the Byn! He's absolutely insane, I heard he single-handedly killed a Mekillot! It's true, some people say he hit it once in the the head and it's skull caved in! Is he even human?! (Fighter/Ruk Attuned)

It's incredible how smart the new merchant is! Seems he knows just about every language enough to make a sale!  (Artisan/Krathi Attuned)

There's this guy in the 'rinth who's almost like a ghost. People say he can just disappear and reappear at will. Spooky. (Infiltrator/Whiran)

It trades the adaptability of a regular subguild, magick subguild or touched one for a straight up focus on the character's archetype. There'd be some crossover, of course, and it would be a massive undertaking, due to the fact there are 15 classes, with 4 archetypes among them, leading to over sixty different variations of skills to be focused on, unless you broke it down to one 'focus' type per 'combat level'. I could see merchants probably enjoying the same broad types of skills, and Heavy Combat users enjoying the same type of combat skills.

I'd say that Heavy Combat probably would focus on straight up, close quarters combat magicks,
Light Combat would probably be ranged magicks and travel skills.
Mixed would probably have an entire focus on a couple of magickal attacks and a couple of utilitarian, every day use ones.
Light Merchant would enjoy an assortment of relatively interesting spells that assisted them in gathering information and making a few interesting pieces of curio.
Heavy Merchant would be able to create and manipulate insanely magickal artifacts that might fetch a high price to the right person. (Maybe that Heavy Combat guy)
That's still TWENTY, considering four elements over five combat levels.
Then again, maybe choosing 'Focused' could simply be something a bit more freeform to the user. Make it a slightly higher karma level, on par with the regular magick subguilds, then enjoy a conversation with the player about how they plan to play their character.
I'm rambling off ideas, apologies.

rinthrat

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2018, 02:29:36 AM »
For all mercantile guilds: Let view in a shop show if an item is craftable.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »
For all mercantile guilds: Let view in a shop show if an item is craftable.

This would be awesome.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Decameron

« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »
I am a little late to this party:

Agree with the above that the view skill would be pretty useful.

For the more criminal aspect:
Smuggling skill : Albeit limited use as to my knowledge only spice is checked. Could be useful for indies / guild who want to sell. Or if the code was updated to check for poisons, think everyone would be paying these guys. Basic idea would be getting illegal items into the gates.

'I know a guy' : See flags if the area is populated / if the crim-code affects this particular room.

More starting sid? (Seems like a cop-out)

Forgery: Be able to craft some Kadian / Salarr/ Kurac stuff without actually being in the clan (as long as you know the recipe). Really, any former employee should be able to do this. I am assuming some of those crafts are pretty much lost to the playerbase, and having fence #10239 be able to mimic some of the GMH stuff and sell it at a discount would probably lead to some conflict. Don't believe this would require too much on the coding side, as I feel there would be a rank associated with the clan that does not grant access to anything, and maybe invisible to the playerbase.

Con : Temporarily raise the value of object being sold to an NPC. (No clue how difficult this would be to implement)

Trying to think of some more, will add anything I can think of here (unless this is no longer necessary!)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:10:05 PM by Decameron »

Master Sandwich

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2018, 09:51:57 PM »
For the more criminal aspect:
Smuggling skill : Albeit limited use as to my knowledge only spice is checked. Could be useful for indies / guild who want to sell. Or if the code was updated to check for poisons, think everyone would be paying these guys.
To go along with the smuggling idea. Objects (coins) could be hidden inside liquid containers depending on their respective sizes (waterskins, barrels, bottles, etc).