Author Topic: Brainstorming Skills  (Read 908 times)

HavokBlue

• Helper
Re: Brainstorming Skills
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 04:55:06 PM »
I sort of like the notion of vendors who will buy basically anything (at a reduced price) for fences with a script to check guild, but that starts to blur the line between guild and PC and could be used to guild sniff.

We have a pretty robust set of skills in-game when it comes to the actual mercantile side. What about more adventurer-esque skills? Something like pocket sand, where the merchant can temporarily hinder a foe, giving them time to escape?
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Zwen

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 05:34:45 PM »
I mentioned this in my character report, but I'm going to share it here too.

To help with the flavor of different crafting classes, maybe there should be class-exclusive crafting recipes, or at least class-based bonuses for certain recipes.

For example, let's take the heavy mercantile classes: fence, dune trader, and artisan. Let's also suppose all three get stone-crafting.  Among those stone-crafting skills, there could be some that fit the criminal side (maybe spice pipes or other paraphernalia, vases with false bottoms for smuggling, etc.), some that fit the wilderness side (maybe tribal gaming pieces, or containers desert-themed designs) and yet others that fall into the city/general catagory (maybe more intricate items, or House-based or patriotic themed items).

The potential downside of this is guild-sniffing, which could be a reason to go with bonuses to certain recipes rather than exclusives.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 06:36:19 PM »
Really like the idea of a class-specific crafting skill for making illicit equipment/objects.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

infinitehope

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
Really like the idea of a class-specific crafting skill for making illicit equipment/objects.
+1

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »
Code change to make PC corpses last until reset and a skill that allows the user to “hide” a body?

infinitehope

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
Code change to make PC corpses last until reset and a skill that allows the user to “hide” a body?
On top of what about a skill  that helps determine possible cause of death? (within reason)

Nao

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »

> craft body
> salvage body

Hmm...  ;D
On a more serious note - what about some ability that allows you to preserve heads? That would help with bounty hunting and assassinations.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Fahrenheit

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »
You know what would be an awesome skill for hunters?  Bait.  Like:

>craft salt.worm 2.salt.worm pungent.oil into mekillot bait

And then, if you set it out, there’s a chance (in appropriate areas) that a mek would pop a few rooms away and come looking.

Also, harpoon.  A thrown weapon that prevents a creature from fleeing (or sinking into silt on death).
You should not see the desert simply as some faraway place of little rain. There are many forms of thirst.
-William Langewiesche

Master Sandwich

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »
Counterfeit crafting

This skill allows someone to craft knockoff items of select or all clan crafted items (some special non retail items should probably be excluded) These items appear identical to the items they are made to resemble but may not perform as well. These items can be identified as knock off items using the value skill, or also viewing them in a shop. Merchant house NPC vendors will recognize knockoffs and refuse to trade in them (either buying or selling them) for example a Salarri merchant would refuse to purchase any knockoff armor or weapons offered to them to buy. Counter fitting crafted items would require having the appropriate crafting skills, for example the jewelery crafting skill would be needed to counterfeit Kadian jewelry crafting recipes.would be needed.

Also maybe knockoff items would require having a legitimate item in their inventory or in the room to allow them to copy it, depending on how difficult the item is to replicate. Highly skilled counterfitters might even be able to fool merchant house vendors and pass their own creations off as authentic GMH  products.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:58:29 PM by Master Sandwich »

Zwen

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
I was actually thinking about something along those lines too, Master Sandwich. I definitely think there's some cool potential there. For example, if it were possible to make counterfeit mount tickets that wouldn't fool the stables, but could fool ordinary folks. Ditto for tailor tickets, etc.

A sorta related idea that I included in a character report was a skill where you could make recipes easier to craft at the cost of quality. Like maybe a certain kind of sword is really difficult to craft, but if I'm willing to make a mediocre version of the same sword, I can have more success making it. Basically a way to make low-quality imitations.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 08:11:34 PM »
Unfortunately, can't really figure out a way to make something like that work without a whole lot of creation work.  Unless it was as simple as opening up clanned craftables, but that isn't something we'd want widely available.

Zwen

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 09:41:25 PM »
Another suggestion is to consider splitting off mask_making and pipe_making into their own skills. The idea would be just to give a bit of a thematic boost to the criminal mercantile classes.

Nao

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 07:27:38 AM »
How about making the value command also show taints on weapons for the criminal classes? A lot of characters would pay a lot of money for a cheap dagger, as long as it is coated in poison.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Master Sandwich

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2017, 01:16:20 PM »
Unfortunately, can't really figure out a way to make something like that work without a whole lot of creation work.  Unless it was as simple as opening up clanned craftables, but that isn't something we'd want widely available.

I conceptualized the idea as using some sort of counterfeit flag that'd be added to existing crafted objects. The value would be made to possibly lower he effective value of the object and also any character modifiers that an object might grant (skill or stat bonuses, like skinning, climbing, stamina, etc). The degree of the changes would depend on the crafter's counterfitter's skill with that value (the degree of the quality of the counter fitting of the crafted object) being recorded on the object (I was thinking of using an esc to do this). The level of the counterfeit value would also determine how easily the counterfeit could be detected.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2017, 11:49:58 PM »
That actually isn't the problem.  Not going to go into details, but there are code issues.

Fahrenheit

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2018, 06:14:22 PM »
I thought I posted this already, but apparently not.  It would also be nifty if you could tame animals that weren’t appropriate mounts.  Like hawks.  Or make a gortok pack animal.  I guess they would have to be NPCs that would take the follow command.  Probably a lot of work.  But it could still be a nifty side market/RP prop.
You should not see the desert simply as some faraway place of little rain. There are many forms of thirst.
-William Langewiesche

infinitehope

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 09:26:37 PM »
I thought I posted this already, but apparently not.  It would also be nifty if you could tame animals that weren’t appropriate mounts.  Like hawks.  Or make a gortok pack animal.  I guess they would have to be NPCs that would take the follow command.  Probably a lot of work.  But it could still be a nifty side market/RP prop.
As someone who has wanted to Rp animal tamers before, this would be awesome fun to Rp and do!

Hitsuchi

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »
Here's with the Brainstorming for mercantile / shady mercantile stuff.

What about a directions-like command for crafters, where different starting locations, classes and subclasses (or even combinations) gives you different "known recipes". You could take it further and give crafting bonuses for characters crafting them.

Idea: weathering command that makes a piece of armor or clothing seem less valuable. Low skill levels carry the risk of permanently lowering the value of the item (perhaps with related stats?), high skill levels let you carry your uber sword of doom disguised as a makeshift piece of crap in the 'Rinth.

Related, a polish command that lets you increase the value of an item/certain items by adding trim/jewels/oil to increase its (visual) quality. This goes together with weathering to give...

itemtdesc - people have asked for it, and I think taking the time to implement tdescs for items could be very worthwile. I don't know about the technical feasibility - perhaps it would be necessary to implement a few flags for customizations instead?

A hunt variant that involves asking around / bribing passersby to figure out who's been, say, selling a bunch of duskhorn horns or digging up all the dung or is actively mining etc. It could be interesting if it costs coins to get results. This can be used to stalk people, find clients, find who to bribe to stop interfering in your fucking business...und so weiter.

Similarly, marking someone's boots or other equipment, giving them a distinctive track to follow and trace. Could be a scent trail, or distinctive dust, or something. Perhaps the tracing material has to be crafted, as well.

An outdoors directions command that gives you the approximate direction of landmarks that a mercantile traveler would know of.
>compass cenyr
You think Cenyr would be to the east, probably 15 leagues away.

This could be coupled with a travelling trading tribe that this class would know the pattern of - where the current camp is situated. If this/these tribes have favorable prices of certain in-demand things, or buy certain things that are hard to offload in Allanak or Luir's, this would give a solid use to the trader part of the mercantile classes  - something that's often superseded by the crafting half.

Being able to convince a merchant that they will indeed be able to sell the items you want to push on them - letting you sell the sixth item, or in the long run sell up to your individual limit rather than a city-wide limit. Say, one item per IC day?

A way to "fake" being a part of a tribe / group. If I find a Byn aba and patch, I should be able to convince the guards that I *do* belong there at some parts of the day, or in some parts of the compound. In the same way, if I manage to offload a Salarri collar from someone, I should be able to fool the guards to the "Merchants only" apartments that sure, I should be allowed to rent there. I'm totally with Salarr.

I'm very good at coming up with poorly thought through ideas! Salvage away!

AdamBlue

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2018, 10:52:54 PM »
Tie in the 'compass' skill with high level direction sense, and try and link it to specific room names by keyword. So to meet someone at the span, you could do 'compass span'

You pause for a moment to think...
You think the closest 'span' would be six leagues west, and three leagues south.

Jdr

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:18 PM »
Whilst I am 100% all about accessibility in this game (I'm a Helper, of course I want that), I imagine the reasoning behind design of skills like this would be 'If they managed to get such high direction sense skill, chances are they already know their way around. Or gamed it somehow and don't deserve to know the way to places'.

So such things are a little divisive.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2018, 01:10:48 AM »
Actually, if you know the way to Cenyr, it should be because you IC'ly found out, not have some game code mechanism that tells you.

AdamBlue

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2018, 04:19:05 PM »
I mean, honestly, I have issues with directions OOCly despite having played characters that have spanned from all the way to the north to all the way to the far south. Bynners, Arm, Sergeants, Runners, Raiders, mages, ect. Years of playing, and I should know my way around by insinct, but I still have trouble with it.

Master Sandwich

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 01:48:00 AM »
This is an idea for a skill that would let burglar type classes make a copy of a key.  Maybe the key would have a generic "skeleton key" look, and appear clearly different than the original key, maybe all copies would all look the same. other copies. Maybe keys could only be copied from original keys (instead of copies, and copies of copies) to keep it from being abused. They could also be of limited use, maybe only working a pre-set amount of times, or having a chance of breaking when used.

ShaLeah

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 08:48:46 AM »
This is an idea for a skill that would let burglar type classes make a copy of a key.  Maybe the key would have a generic "skeleton key" look, and appear clearly different than the original key, maybe all copies would all look the same. other copies. Maybe keys could only be copied from original keys (instead of copies, and copies of copies) to keep it from being abused. They could also be of limited use, maybe only working a pre-set amount of times, or having a chance of breaking when used.

Forgery is a big deal. I don't know that it's possible for a burglar to do that - They're not crafters.
Quote from: Oryx
Shal is on point.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.
Quote from: Anonymous
this doesn't sound very fun, shal
Quote from: Anonymous
You didn't store did you
Because.. I lurve you.

Master Sandwich

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »

Forgery is a big deal. I don't know that it's possible for a burglar to do that - They're not crafters.

Great point. Thanks for the feedback.