Author Topic: Brainstorming Skills  (Read 909 times)

Brokkr

• Administrator
Brainstorming Skills
« on: November 17, 2017, 05:06:35 PM »
Going to leave this thread open for the duration of the play test.  The idea is as you see the strengths and weaknesses of your class (and when you see other classes skills, the other classes), you might have ideas for new skills that could improve the experience of a particular class, or set of classes.

This discussion should be for new skills, as opposed to existing skills or abilities that you would want to see on your class (we'll have a separate discussion later for that).  No promises things get implemented, but having a pool of ideas to pull from would be great!

Zwen

Re: Brainstorming Skills
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 05:23:03 PM »
This is not necessarily for the class I'm playing, but it popped to mind because I've found something similar useful in another game.

compare ________ with ________

The idea is that someone skilled in a certain area, like a weapons skill or crafting skill, could look at two items of a certain type and make comparisons between them. Of course we do have some means to do this kind of thing already, but this would be more direct.

Jdr

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »
Ooh, I posted it in First Impressions, but can Pilot please be Master (or at least usable) for the mercantile guilds? It's *so painful*.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Master Sandwich

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:03:06 AM »
I always like the idea of traps.

Traps could be setup on doors and exits, triggered either by opening a door or by marks/prey moving from one room to another utilizing tripwires or snares.

Traps could utilize powders or darts (or some kind of spikes) to poison people. Powders would be either inhaled or effect the eyes (blindness powder).

Snares could immobilize smaller prey with larger and stronger prey being able to more easily break out of snares.

tapas

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:45:28 AM »
Probably just some more stuff for the "toolkit" classes to use. Traps, new poisons, new ways to apply poisons etc. Old poisons with rarer ingredients but require different cures than usual.

I noticed some staff animations have all kinds of cool stuff like throw able firebombs and whatnot.

Staff appears to already headed in this direction. With the changes to archery. But in general there should be more ways to do stuff in Armageddon without beating it with a stick.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:16:21 PM by tapas »

mattrious

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 07:42:40 AM »
I think something that could certainly be useful to those who live in the wilderness would be a wilderness type 'listen' skill. Essentially this skill would be a stealth detection type skill that would also allow PCs to pick up on conversations happening nearby.

So if someone were to sneak into a room your PC was sitting in, and the player had an appropriate level listen they would receive some sort of message like:

You hear something rustling in the bushes nearby.

I believe with the modification of the class structure and how some classes are losing skills, gaining, this could be something that is beneficial to the new wilderness type classes who might not get the standard 'listen' skill.

Fahrenheit

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:26:32 PM »
I know there’s one I’ve wanted that’s escaping me right now, but I would be interested in:

Forage (shelter) - At low levels, this could reveal an immobile “windblock” on the ground that couldn’t be entered, but would reduce the local wind by one level, and maybe the heat by one level as well (or just cast local shade).  If you wanted to get fancy, at higher levels, it could reveal immobile “lean-to”s (etc) that would function like a less effective tent.  This should probably take a lot of stamina (10-20), and only allow one per room.

Stash - like ‘bury’, but in the city
You should not see the desert simply as some faraway place of little rain. There are many forms of thirst.
-William Langewiesche

Master Sandwich

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »
I always like the idea of traps.

Traps could be setup on doors and exits, triggered either by opening a door or by marks/prey moving from one room to another utilizing tripwires or snares.

Traps could utilize powders or darts (or some kind of spikes) to poison people. Powders would be either inhaled or effect the eyes (blindness powder).

Snares could immobilize smaller prey with larger and stronger prey being able to more easily break out of snares.

This should include some method for disarming traps, presumably the person who set the trap would do this, because they'd know it's there.

Also, the search ability should be able to find traps.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 10:26:14 PM »
An amendment to the trap idea:

Skill: Tripwire
Using a rope or new craftable item, the PC can set a tripwire. The first PC moving into the room rolls a scan check. Failing the scan check causes the PC to trip and fall. Only usable on indoor and city rooms. Also rolls a check for the PC weight. If the PC's weight is over X (half giants?) amount, the tripwire breaks. Does not affect mounts.

This would be feasibly easy to implement using existing code and would perhaps scratch that trap itch without adding a stupid instagib mechanic.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Nao

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 02:01:07 PM »
The ability to hide things (instead of yourself) would be neat. Things could be found with search, scan, or some new skill.

A way to use sleight of hand to hold items. You can ready weapons from your belt at the moment without being noticed, but there is no stealthy way to es or ep any other items, afaik.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »
Upvote Nao's idea. If a PC can silently pull a four foot bone sword from a sheath, they should be able to pull a lockpick out of a pouch.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Khorne8

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »
How about a Survey skill to compliment forage?  Currently there's no way to know what can be foraged in a given area other than to forage for every type of thing.  The Survey skill would have a decently long delay before, but return something like:

> You look over the surrounding area.
> You are pretty sure that you could forage this area for rocks, aritfacts, or spice.

and maybe even a return of how picked over the area looks?  With the staff's ability to impact the scarcity of foraged items?

I'd really love it if Survey Stone Obsidian would return you [do/don't] think you might be able to forage obsidian here would work too, but I won't get too picky.

Hitsuchi

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 05:06:31 PM »
How about more ways to interact with wildlife?

A trap skill that would stun the caught animal for a period of time depending on its size / strength. Would catch auto-flee creatures and creatures that are a little too strong for you (at the cost of an additional skill, materials, and luck), and perhaps allow for capturing and selling live beasts.

A lure skill that lets you pull creatures after you by baiting them with appropriate food items, smells or sounds. Same thing here - lets you work around skill weaknesses by compensating with materials and luck. Bonus points if these requirements create more need for certain types of materials, or makes way for more interaction and in-depth "understanding" of wildlife ("a carru will only eat meat in its young life" style wisdoms).

A (sub?)skill that lets you secure yourself when climbing a wall, which lets you take actions that would otherwise make you fall. Shooting arrows down the Shield Wall by tying yourself to an outcropping? Yes please.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
Where I am struggling to think of ideas myself is on the merchant side of the spectrum, especially for criminal and city/general type merchant and light merchant types.  *hint hint*

Also, while content add type ideas are fine, skills that change the dynamic of a class in its relation to others are typically more interesting.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:10:16 PM by Brokkr »

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 06:32:30 PM »
Do you have any examples of existing skills that fill a similar role to what you're describing? Just so we're all on the same page!

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 06:56:28 PM »
Sure.

Content type stuff would be, for instance, the split of archery into several different skills.  At the end of the day, they are all ranged skills used to kill things, and so the split was really an addition of content, rather than changing the dynamic.

Sleight of hand, on the other hand, changes the dynamic, even though it pretty much also just does things that other skills do.  The ability get things, draw weapons, and open doors stealthily, rather than with normal echo'ing, allows the dynamic in PC to PC interaction to change, for those characters that have the skill vs those that don't.

Zwen

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 07:15:01 PM »
Where I am struggling to think of ideas myself is on the merchant side of the spectrum, especially for criminal and city/general type merchant and light merchant types.  *hint hint*

I don't know what class(es) this would fit best, but I have always wished that it was possible to use the haggle skill to make deals for multiple copies of the same item. Especially for buying. If you're buying materials in bulk, you should be able to get a better deal than you could for one item at a time.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 07:45:20 PM »
I'm gonna try to brainstorm some stuff. Unfortunately, looking to D&D and other tabletops for inspiration isn't helping, as we've already got analogous skills for most things a Pathfinder merchant might have, for example.

Khorne8

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 10:57:20 PM »

I believe it was noted before but a "Compare" skill for merchants that would allow merchants to determine the relative quality of two compared items of the same time would be fantastic and really make merchants useful on the regular.  There are so many different breastplates, but a skill armorsmith should be able to say:
Breastplate A is much heavier than Breastplate B, but it also provides significantly better protection (if A is for example Horror and B is Raptor Hide)
or
Breastplate A is much heavier than Breastplate B, but it also provides less protection (if A is for example, generic Heavy Scrab Shell and B is mastercrafter Drov Beetle)

Also, tweaking anyone with Value so they can tell if a piercing weapons is a stabbing weapons, or a slashing weapon is actually a razor... or any of those little bits that don't currently seem to show up.

Ansel

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 12:02:02 AM »
For crafting/merchant heavy roles, something akin to "tailor" would be awesome.  It's awkward to craft a set of armor or clothing for someone and then inform them that they have to then have it resized.  Armor repair isn't a skill I've been able to play around with much, but something similar that required raw goods to alter the size of items, and maybe let you resize them to races.  IE : tailor cuirass (dwarf) ((you need a scrap of leather and a chunk of chitin)).  It would also help raiding and mercenary clans have something to do with their war spoils and their less combat-forward members.

- A.

Ansel

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 12:05:24 AM »
For criminals, there could be a 'bribe' command that lets you target yourself or another, and offers the chance of coin or items as the "bribe" itself.  bribe soldier 100 coins Amos could, if the skill worked, give Amos a quick reprieve from the crim-code.  If it failed badly, it could get Amos or the briber him/herself arrested on the spot.  If it semi-failed, it could either be rejected outright or cause you to lose the bribe without getting anything in return.

Fahrenheit

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 01:28:33 AM »
If you're looking to split some things, I think splitting off some of the poison skills could be cool.  For example, splitting off the ability to 'see' poison on items, or the ability to forage poison, from other skills.  This wouldn't help a class that already had those skills, but you could give those two abilities to more classes without the need to give them the whole parent skill.

One idea for adjusting an existing skill to boost them would be to simply make them a little faster (when running).  I don't know if you can do that with PCs, but it seems to work with mounts.
You should not see the desert simply as some faraway place of little rain. There are many forms of thirst.
-William Langewiesche

tapas

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 10:13:44 AM »
A way to pawn fenced goods maybe? Through merchant contacts or through a special merchant that only speaks to cavilish speaking players.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
It would be awesome if a fence could actually fence, but there aren't really tags for stuff that has been stolen.  So it would be limited to stuff like AoD items that you can't sell and such, which would seem to be of limited value.

tapas

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 04:23:11 PM »
Or maybe the inverse. Access to markets other characters don't have. For example they can occasionally order in a rare crafting material like a rantarri hide or a some dujat scales. Nothing quite regular enough to put your hunters out of work though.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 04:55:06 PM »
I sort of like the notion of vendors who will buy basically anything (at a reduced price) for fences with a script to check guild, but that starts to blur the line between guild and PC and could be used to guild sniff.

We have a pretty robust set of skills in-game when it comes to the actual mercantile side. What about more adventurer-esque skills? Something like pocket sand, where the merchant can temporarily hinder a foe, giving them time to escape?

Zwen

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 05:34:45 PM »
I mentioned this in my character report, but I'm going to share it here too.

To help with the flavor of different crafting classes, maybe there should be class-exclusive crafting recipes, or at least class-based bonuses for certain recipes.

For example, let's take the heavy mercantile classes: fence, dune trader, and artisan. Let's also suppose all three get stone-crafting.  Among those stone-crafting skills, there could be some that fit the criminal side (maybe spice pipes or other paraphernalia, vases with false bottoms for smuggling, etc.), some that fit the wilderness side (maybe tribal gaming pieces, or containers desert-themed designs) and yet others that fall into the city/general catagory (maybe more intricate items, or House-based or patriotic themed items).

The potential downside of this is guild-sniffing, which could be a reason to go with bonuses to certain recipes rather than exclusives.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 06:36:19 PM »
Really like the idea of a class-specific crafting skill for making illicit equipment/objects.

infinitehope

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
Really like the idea of a class-specific crafting skill for making illicit equipment/objects.
+1

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »
Code change to make PC corpses last until reset and a skill that allows the user to “hide” a body?

infinitehope

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
Code change to make PC corpses last until reset and a skill that allows the user to “hide” a body?
On top of what about a skill  that helps determine possible cause of death? (within reason)

Nao

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »

> craft body
> salvage body

Hmm...  ;D
On a more serious note - what about some ability that allows you to preserve heads? That would help with bounty hunting and assassinations.

Fahrenheit

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »
You know what would be an awesome skill for hunters?  Bait.  Like:

>craft salt.worm 2.salt.worm pungent.oil into mekillot bait

And then, if you set it out, there’s a chance (in appropriate areas) that a mek would pop a few rooms away and come looking.

Also, harpoon.  A thrown weapon that prevents a creature from fleeing (or sinking into silt on death).
-William Langewiesche

Master Sandwich

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »
Counterfeit crafting

This skill allows someone to craft knockoff items of select or all clan crafted items (some special non retail items should probably be excluded) These items appear identical to the items they are made to resemble but may not perform as well. These items can be identified as knock off items using the value skill, or also viewing them in a shop. Merchant house NPC vendors will recognize knockoffs and refuse to trade in them (either buying or selling them) for example a Salarri merchant would refuse to purchase any knockoff armor or weapons offered to them to buy. Counter fitting crafted items would require having the appropriate crafting skills, for example the jewelery crafting skill would be needed to counterfeit Kadian jewelry crafting recipes.would be needed.

Also maybe knockoff items would require having a legitimate item in their inventory or in the room to allow them to copy it, depending on how difficult the item is to replicate. Highly skilled counterfitters might even be able to fool merchant house vendors and pass their own creations off as authentic GMH  products.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:58:29 PM by Master Sandwich »

Zwen

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
I was actually thinking about something along those lines too, Master Sandwich. I definitely think there's some cool potential there. For example, if it were possible to make counterfeit mount tickets that wouldn't fool the stables, but could fool ordinary folks. Ditto for tailor tickets, etc.

A sorta related idea that I included in a character report was a skill where you could make recipes easier to craft at the cost of quality. Like maybe a certain kind of sword is really difficult to craft, but if I'm willing to make a mediocre version of the same sword, I can have more success making it. Basically a way to make low-quality imitations.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 08:11:34 PM »
Unfortunately, can't really figure out a way to make something like that work without a whole lot of creation work.  Unless it was as simple as opening up clanned craftables, but that isn't something we'd want widely available.

Zwen

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 09:41:25 PM »
Another suggestion is to consider splitting off mask_making and pipe_making into their own skills. The idea would be just to give a bit of a thematic boost to the criminal mercantile classes.

Nao

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 07:27:38 AM »
How about making the value command also show taints on weapons for the criminal classes? A lot of characters would pay a lot of money for a cheap dagger, as long as it is coated in poison.

Master Sandwich

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2017, 01:16:20 PM »
Unfortunately, can't really figure out a way to make something like that work without a whole lot of creation work.  Unless it was as simple as opening up clanned craftables, but that isn't something we'd want widely available.

I conceptualized the idea as using some sort of counterfeit flag that'd be added to existing crafted objects. The value would be made to possibly lower he effective value of the object and also any character modifiers that an object might grant (skill or stat bonuses, like skinning, climbing, stamina, etc). The degree of the changes would depend on the crafter's counterfitter's skill with that value (the degree of the quality of the counter fitting of the crafted object) being recorded on the object (I was thinking of using an esc to do this). The level of the counterfeit value would also determine how easily the counterfeit could be detected.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2017, 11:49:58 PM »
That actually isn't the problem.  Not going to go into details, but there are code issues.

Fahrenheit

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2018, 06:14:22 PM »
I thought I posted this already, but apparently not.  It would also be nifty if you could tame animals that weren’t appropriate mounts.  Like hawks.  Or make a gortok pack animal.  I guess they would have to be NPCs that would take the follow command.  Probably a lot of work.  But it could still be a nifty side market/RP prop.
-William Langewiesche

infinitehope

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 09:26:37 PM »
I thought I posted this already, but apparently not.  It would also be nifty if you could tame animals that weren’t appropriate mounts.  Like hawks.  Or make a gortok pack animal.  I guess they would have to be NPCs that would take the follow command.  Probably a lot of work.  But it could still be a nifty side market/RP prop.
As someone who has wanted to Rp animal tamers before, this would be awesome fun to Rp and do!

Hitsuchi

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »
Here's with the Brainstorming for mercantile / shady mercantile stuff.

What about a directions-like command for crafters, where different starting locations, classes and subclasses (or even combinations) gives you different "known recipes". You could take it further and give crafting bonuses for characters crafting them.

Idea: weathering command that makes a piece of armor or clothing seem less valuable. Low skill levels carry the risk of permanently lowering the value of the item (perhaps with related stats?), high skill levels let you carry your uber sword of doom disguised as a makeshift piece of crap in the 'Rinth.

Related, a polish command that lets you increase the value of an item/certain items by adding trim/jewels/oil to increase its (visual) quality. This goes together with weathering to give...

itemtdesc - people have asked for it, and I think taking the time to implement tdescs for items could be very worthwile. I don't know about the technical feasibility - perhaps it would be necessary to implement a few flags for customizations instead?

A hunt variant that involves asking around / bribing passersby to figure out who's been, say, selling a bunch of duskhorn horns or digging up all the dung or is actively mining etc. It could be interesting if it costs coins to get results. This can be used to stalk people, find clients, find who to bribe to stop interfering in your fucking business...und so weiter.

Similarly, marking someone's boots or other equipment, giving them a distinctive track to follow and trace. Could be a scent trail, or distinctive dust, or something. Perhaps the tracing material has to be crafted, as well.

An outdoors directions command that gives you the approximate direction of landmarks that a mercantile traveler would know of.
>compass cenyr
You think Cenyr would be to the east, probably 15 leagues away.

This could be coupled with a travelling trading tribe that this class would know the pattern of - where the current camp is situated. If this/these tribes have favorable prices of certain in-demand things, or buy certain things that are hard to offload in Allanak or Luir's, this would give a solid use to the trader part of the mercantile classes  - something that's often superseded by the crafting half.

Being able to convince a merchant that they will indeed be able to sell the items you want to push on them - letting you sell the sixth item, or in the long run sell up to your individual limit rather than a city-wide limit. Say, one item per IC day?

A way to "fake" being a part of a tribe / group. If I find a Byn aba and patch, I should be able to convince the guards that I *do* belong there at some parts of the day, or in some parts of the compound. In the same way, if I manage to offload a Salarri collar from someone, I should be able to fool the guards to the "Merchants only" apartments that sure, I should be allowed to rent there. I'm totally with Salarr.

I'm very good at coming up with poorly thought through ideas! Salvage away!

AdamBlue

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2018, 10:52:54 PM »
Tie in the 'compass' skill with high level direction sense, and try and link it to specific room names by keyword. So to meet someone at the span, you could do 'compass span'

You pause for a moment to think...
You think the closest 'span' would be six leagues west, and three leagues south.

Jdr

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:18 PM »
Whilst I am 100% all about accessibility in this game (I'm a Helper, of course I want that), I imagine the reasoning behind design of skills like this would be 'If they managed to get such high direction sense skill, chances are they already know their way around. Or gamed it somehow and don't deserve to know the way to places'.

So such things are a little divisive.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2018, 01:10:48 AM »
Actually, if you know the way to Cenyr, it should be because you IC'ly found out, not have some game code mechanism that tells you.

AdamBlue

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2018, 04:19:05 PM »
I mean, honestly, I have issues with directions OOCly despite having played characters that have spanned from all the way to the north to all the way to the far south. Bynners, Arm, Sergeants, Runners, Raiders, mages, ect. Years of playing, and I should know my way around by insinct, but I still have trouble with it.

Master Sandwich

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 01:48:00 AM »
This is an idea for a skill that would let burglar type classes make a copy of a key.  Maybe the key would have a generic "skeleton key" look, and appear clearly different than the original key, maybe all copies would all look the same. other copies. Maybe keys could only be copied from original keys (instead of copies, and copies of copies) to keep it from being abused. They could also be of limited use, maybe only working a pre-set amount of times, or having a chance of breaking when used.

ShaLeah

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 08:48:46 AM »
This is an idea for a skill that would let burglar type classes make a copy of a key.  Maybe the key would have a generic "skeleton key" look, and appear clearly different than the original key, maybe all copies would all look the same. other copies. Maybe keys could only be copied from original keys (instead of copies, and copies of copies) to keep it from being abused. They could also be of limited use, maybe only working a pre-set amount of times, or having a chance of breaking when used.

Forgery is a big deal. I don't know that it's possible for a burglar to do that - They're not crafters.
Quote from: Oryx
Shal is on point.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.
Quote from: Anonymous
this doesn't sound very fun, shal
Quote from: Anonymous
You didn't store did you
Because.. I lurve you.

Master Sandwich

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »

Forgery is a big deal. I don't know that it's possible for a burglar to do that - They're not crafters.

Great point. Thanks for the feedback.

AdamBlue

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2018, 03:41:42 PM »
After all these years.
Please, god, please.
PLEASE
GIVE ME
AN UNARMED
FIGHTING SKILL
SOMETHING THAT MAKES UNARMED FIGHTING A THING
MAKE CESTUS FROM A SIMPLE BLUDGEONING WEAPON INTO A COMBAT SKILL
I WANT TO PUNCH A GOD DAMN GORTOK TO DEATH AND NOT BE A HALF-GIANT
IF A WARRIOR CAN CUT AN ARROW OUT OF THE AIR WITH A SWORD I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SNATCH A FUCKING SLINGSTONE OUT OF THE AIR LIKE A BASEBALL
PLEASE GOD GIVE ME SOME ZALANTHAN MARTIAL ARTS
GIVE US A REASON TO PUNCH A CHALTON TO DEATH BEYOND PEOPLE TWINKING
I want to make them understand with my fist.
Seriously, maybe even make it like, an advanced weapon if you have to, that branches off having at least journeyman 'dual wield' and advanced 'kick' and 'subdue'.
'After practicing extensively with wielding two weapons as well as various forms of kicks and wrestling, ambidexterity can allow one to tap in to fight beyond mere brutish brawling, but really fine-tune the ability to fight unarmed, either by choice or by desperation, with finesse.'
Being disarmed no longer can mean instant beeps on a well-trained warrior, and to someone well trained, they can quickly close the gap and just beat the shit out of you despite the fact you sent their sword flying. Of course, unless you are relatively strong, your bare fists are not going to be able to slay things like Mekillot with ease unless you're something like a Mul or a Half-giant, but unarmed code already exists to be a very powerful combat tool, considering it focuses more on stunning things rather than dealing significant damage unless one using something like a cestus, claws, punch-knife or some other hand-based tool, which would then go back to dealing weapon-like damage properties.
Unarmed combat would be similar to daggers, one would suppose. Many very fast strikes, except that you can't poison your god damn fists.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2018, 05:29:59 PM »
I am starting to see a re-hashing of long standing ideas from the GDB.  I have a limited amount of things we'll be able to see implemented, because our coders have a limited amount of time (a lot of time has been spent on code supporting this change you wouldn't necessarily see).  So the cut-off for what we can do is way above "this would be cool".

One of those things is threaten, which was meant to bolster heavy combat classes and at the same time potentially changing certain game dynamics.  I've seen a lot of theory crafting on threaten in the main GDB.  A lot of it was useless, and it was largely not informed, as most folks simply haven't used the command, which is expected as only several of you have it as a skill.

But let's think about this skill.  Most theory craft focused around the "kill" aspect, and things like lag delays and such, and how it wasn't dynamic changing as the target will just flee.  Probably true.  However, it also does things like prevent the target from hiding, backstabbing you, or sapping you, which is more dynamic changing, as that hasn't been an ability folks have had at all.  It also makes it more of a multi environment skill, just as useful (if not moreso) in the rinth as it is in the wastes.

Also, what is implemented is only the basics of what we have talked about.  I don't know what the final version will look like, and it could likely take a long time to get there.  My preference would be that you could choose from a list of commands to threaten with, so instead of it just being kill you could initiate combat with a bash from the threaten skill instead.  That could be dynamic changing.

These are the kinds of ideas I am looking for.  Yes, I get some folks don't like the penalties of fighting unarmed.  Asking for unarmed to simply become like armed combat is meh (I'm just picking on this because it was the last one suggested, and has been around on the forums forever).  Uninteresting and ultimately only changing one aspect of play...not being at such a disadvantage when fighting unarmed.

At this point, we have some classes that are looking to be slightly under-powered.  This is more than maybe switch a skill or two around.  On the combat side, we have fighter and soldier.  We have some ideas for new skills these two classes could get that would really balance things out a bit on the combat side, we'll have to wait and see.

On the merchant side, we have fence and pilferer.  This is where I really need ideas.  A skill (or skills) that would only be for these two classes.  Something that would cement their "place" in the scheme of things, while at the same time not something that supports only one role (i.e. just rinthi criminal vs criminal and GMH employee and whatever else) .  It may be that we can't get to that, but I'd like to try.

Also, please remember this isn't a wish list for what you want to see.  This is about ideas that would balance out the classes.  Going back to the unarmed combat idea in the previous post (not bagging on AdamBlue, he just gave me a good example), I'm given nothing on how unarmed combat is going to do that.  It doesn't read like a "This idea would balance out..." idea, but a "I'd really like to see..." idea, which is not what this is about, and certainly not the way to advance ideas you want to see implemented.

AdamBlue

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2018, 02:13:04 AM »
These are the kinds of ideas I am looking for.  Yes, I get some folks don't like the penalties of fighting unarmed.  Asking for unarmed to simply become like armed combat is meh (I'm just picking on this because it was the last one suggested, and has been around on the forums forever).  Uninteresting and ultimately only changing one aspect of play...not being at such a disadvantage when fighting unarmed.

---------------------

Also, please remember this isn't a wish list for what you want to see.  This is about ideas that would balance out the classes.  Going back to the unarmed combat idea in the previous post (not bagging on AdamBlue, he just gave me a good example), I'm given nothing on how unarmed combat is going to do that.  It doesn't read like a "This idea would balance out..." idea, but a "I'd really like to see..." idea, which is not what this is about, and certainly not the way to advance ideas you want to see implemented.

Ree quit boolying

But if you want some actual constructive criticism on why unarmed combat should be a thing, there are many circumstances wherein someone is going to be caught entirely unawares without a weapon drawn. I've lost two characters to situations just like this, where not having a weapon drawn as soon as you enter combat means an untimely death for your character. The difference between a warrior who has a dinky little knife drawn and a warrior who is totally unarmed can mean death. Unarmed combat is actually less than awful at the moment, but the biggest drawback is it's entire reliance on having no defensive measures. A half-giant can reasonably beat most things to death with his bare hands, but he's going to get his ass eaten by a chalton.
I think something that exclusively good warriors should have would be more defensive measures while without a weapon to prevent instant and unavoidable 'beeps' because you didn't type 'draw' before going east into that room that looked entirely empty due to your lack of scanning ability.
Maybe either make it a skill, like 'footwork', where being unarmed can give you even further defensive bonuses to increase dodge chance, OR
Make it so people at advanced-master parry (experienced warriors) can parry blows using their bare hands at the cost of damaging their gloves.
Either of these changes could make fighting without a weapon to be less of a death sentence and more of a blunder.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2018, 12:14:19 PM »
It is important that there are situations where even a badass warrior is vulnerable and can be killed.  This may be a difference of perspective contributing to how we look at unarmed combat differently.

Nao

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2018, 02:36:58 PM »
For criminals, there could be a 'bribe' command that lets you target yourself or another, and offers the chance of coin or items as the "bribe" itself.  bribe soldier 100 coins Amos could, if the skill worked, give Amos a quick reprieve from the crim-code.  If it failed badly, it could get Amos or the briber him/herself arrested on the spot.  If it semi-failed, it could either be rejected outright or cause you to lose the bribe without getting anything in return.

I'd like to pick this up again. A bribe skill (or a distract skill) could work on guard NPCs and make those turn a blind eye to crime (or in the case of distract, just not notice it) on success.  Or maybe it could work on VNPCs only and have crimcode work like it does at night, during the day. Maybe you could even bribe the rinth muggers into going elsewhere for an hour while you bring aide fancypants through.

This would give criminal groups a reason to bring along the crafter. Higher-class PCs like aides would also benefit from getting caught less (although social characters just tend to use coded skills less and will benefit less from any change because of that). This could also help with lawful areas being nearly danger-free. To keep this balanced, price, success rate and which (V)NPCs it applies to could all be tweaked.

Zwen

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »
On the merchant side, we have fence and pilferer.  This is where I really need ideas.  A skill (or skills) that would only be for these two classes.  Something that would cement their "place" in the scheme of things, while at the same time not something that supports only one role (i.e. just rinthi criminal vs criminal and GMH employee and whatever else) .  It may be that we can't get to that, but I'd like to try.

Okay, this is kind of a weird idea, but what about giving those classes the ability to break the normal restrictions for characters selling to shops? Specifically, allowing them to sell things to shops that normally won't accept that type of item, or perhaps sell more than 5 of an item. While that's not exactly fencing items, it gets at the idea that these classes are especially capable of unloading items in ways that other classes can't.

Master Sandwich

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »

Maybe an ability to do business at a shop that's closed would be cool. Also maybe some kind of way to get clan discounts at merchant house shops through impersonation when wearing corresponding house colors armbands/cloak/etc.

Van

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2018, 06:04:01 AM »
How about a skill that allows one to salvage an item into its crafting materials, so a Pilferer/Fence or whatever could disassemble an item for parts and sell them instead of the hot item that was stolen.

Edit: You know I have such little experience on crafters that this skill might already be a thing I don't know about.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:06:46 AM by Van »

Kankfly

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2018, 10:39:50 AM »
How about a skill that allows one to salvage an item into its crafting materials, so a Pilferer/Fence or whatever could disassemble an item for parts and sell them instead of the hot item that was stolen.

Edit: You know I have such little experience on crafters that this skill might already be a thing I don't know about.

I like this idea! Let's say, the higher your corrosponding skill to the item you're trying to salvage is, the bigger the success in salvaging a complete crafting component from it.

So for example:

A bejeweled, chitin knife

examine knife
This is a sharp knife made of chitin with a polished ruby on the pommel.

value knife
A bejeweled, chitin knife appears to cost around 200 obsidian coins.
A bejeweled, chitin knife bears the distinctive design of House Salarr.

salvage knife
You begin to salvage a knife.

(Cue in skill check + tool (?) - just throwing ideas here)

Success: You extract a polished ruby from a chitin knife.

Success item salvage: a polished ruby (and/or) a chitin knife

You'll now be able to reuse this ruby in another craft, or fence it off. You can also sell off the chitin knife as is... or MC it into another craft (aka rip-off Salarri craft).
I ruin immershunz.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2018, 07:12:42 PM »
I like the idea a lot, but...

Most items are not crafted like that though.  The things that make them up are cut up, shaped, or otherwise altered.  So for many things it wouldn't make sense that you could 'undo' the recipe, because you'd get something nonsensical.

You salvage a travel cake into....some flour, as an extreme example.

How would you get past that without a ton of work?

Zwen

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2018, 10:01:57 PM »
One way around that would be if instead of physically breaking down the item, the PC was trading the finished item for its component parts. The end result would be the same. I wouldn't expect that option be be overused, because in most cases it's more profitable to sell the finished item. But still it would be a neat option, because as it is now, only one-for-one trades are possible.

Make it a skill that could only be used in the presence of an appropriate NPC merchant. To me it seems like it would work best if the items were coming out of the NPC's virtual inventory, since many NPC merchants don't deal in both raw materials and finished goods.

Nao

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2018, 02:31:53 AM »
I like this idea, too. You could restrict it to gems, at least initially, since those are rarely broken down in crafts.

For other materials - a lot of crafting materials have a large and a small version. Stones come in blocky/head-sized and fist-sized. There are large shards of obsidian and small shards of obsidian. For chalton bones, you even have three: long length of bone, short length of bone, piece of bone. Most of the time, it would make sense to have something like this:

>craft large.shard into an obsidian longsword
You craft a large shard of obsidian into an obsidian longsword.
>salvage longsword
You break down an obsidian longsword and manage to get a small shard of obsidian.

So you'd have to create a list of large ingredients and the corresponding smaller version. Want to salvage something? The code checks if the item is craftable and checks the crafting materials. If a gem and/or an ingredient with a smaller version is in the materials, salvage produces that gem and/or the smaller version. If the ingredients aren't gems or in the list? It's salvaged as usual. Same if the salvager fails a skill check.

Kankfly

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2018, 11:12:22 AM »
Just brainstorming here: Perhaps success rate can be determined by how well you know how to make a certain item (ie. knife making), and how high your 'salvage' skill is, as well as the required tool (if tools are needed)?

As for making this possible without going through a huge amount of work:

I like the idea of starting with gems. Perhaps we should make a list of craftables that shouldn't be salvaged.

Here's a suggested list:

- Food
- Perfume
- Incense
- Soap
- Dried flowers
- Dye/Dyed cloth

These are things just off the top of my head. Feel free to correct me! :D

Edited to add: Dye
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:56:45 PM by Kankfly »
I ruin immershunz.

Van

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »

I'm not sure you could. Next idea then.

FENCE

As in you are a fence.  People can bring you anything and you can turn that into coins. Basically just a skill that gives you coins for an item, based on that items value and your fence skill. Cut out the middle-merchants.

A little less work at least.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:46:45 AM by Van »

Master Sandwich

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2018, 01:56:14 PM »

I'm not sure you could. Next idea then.

FENCE

As in you are a fence.  People can bring you anything and you can turn that into coins. Basically just a skill that gives you coins for an item, based on that items value and your fence skill. Cut out the middle-merchants.

A little less work at least.

Maybe fenced goods could possibly end up for sale at appropriate nearby shopkeepers.

Kankfly

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »
I'm not sure I understand this idea. This role is already filled by NPC shopkeepers, no?
I ruin immershunz.

Kankfly

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2018, 12:24:16 AM »
Re: Salvage skill for fencers

If we made a list of crafted categories that can't be salvaged back to their materials, would that make the workload easier?

I'm not sure how we can get past it otherwise.
I ruin immershunz.

Van

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2018, 10:38:43 PM »
I think you would just have to start with certain compartments and do it little by little, and it would be a bitch. Start with something like Salarri shop weapons and armor, jewelry shops, starting items. While Armageddon has (tens of?) thousands of items, I feel like most players only end up using a few hundred different sorts before they meet the mantis head.

Even still though that would be a lot of work. I think the idea doesn't have much merit if it's going to take that much work and we should move on to something else.

I really liked one someone else mentioned; a backdoor merchant perk that allow certain shops to have more money, different rarer items, different hours. That sort of thing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:40:32 PM by Van »

AdamBlue

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2018, 12:09:31 AM »
Why is hack only limited to axe weapons? You should be able to 'hack' with a greatsword, and "hack" (see, break) with a club, and ""hack"" (penetrate) with a spear. Kind of lame that the only anti-shield attack is limited only to axes. Perhaps it should be renamed to 'Break' and made available with all weapon types, but have to be past a certain size to work properly. A tiny knife shouldn't be able to do anything, but a proper spear should. A tiny sap shouldn't do anything, but a big maul should.

Van

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2018, 03:35:24 AM »
Eh, no to spears and swords. Yes to bludgeoning weapons.

Then maybe give spears and swords their own skill meant to negate armor by striking soft spots. Basically the opposite of Hack. Call it Jab or Pierce or something.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
Does this make more sense why it is the way it is?

Piercing - Backstab
Bludgeoning - Sap
Chopping - Hack

AdamBlue

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2018, 05:41:48 PM »
Does that mean you are planning on adding something for slashing weapons?

Knight of Knives

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2018, 12:21:07 PM »
This is coming from my love of the Malazan books, because I'm brainstorming some skills which would make Fighters/Soldiers unique from the other heavy combat stuff.

Basically, a 'formation' skill. You would type 'formation <character>' and start fighting close to them - they get a defensive bonus from your proximity, especially if you use a shield. If they form back with you, you get a bonus back. And maybe allow for the higher skill levels to allow more than one people - you could give a bonus to 1-3 people depending on skill.

Skills for a fence: I really liked the 'bribe' suggestion. Having it work like the 'rent' command, where you could 'bribe templar' <player> <player> <player> and give your gang a reprieve to to a heist would be sweet.

Another skill for them could be an 'offload' or simply 'fence' command, where you could sell items to merchants who wouldn't normally take them who were flagged as fences. Gives them a bit of versatility to always get the coin even if there's a glut on the regular market already.
     >The so and so dwarf merchant says, beady eyes glancing around, "Well, you know I sell above the table, but...I'll take this off your hands."
    > The so and so dwarf merchant returns to business, shouting, "KALANS! Get your KALANS here!"

"Everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

"Do not become addicted to water, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence."

Nao

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2018, 03:38:07 PM »
Some ideas for the pilferer/fence side:
  • limited ability to shoplift
  • a city version of bury (I thought this had already been brought up, but can't find it now) that lets you hide items in a room. Can be found with forage artifact. This would even be useful outside of save rooms, if you want to do a dead drop without everyone picking up the huge pile of money you just left sitting around
  • Similarly, an ability to hide small items inside containers (sew them into the lining) so they're not visible simply by looking into the bag, or get found when the guards search you at the gate. Maybe enough for a knot of spice, but not a brick. Increases the weight of the container (and the usefulness of the value skill), but doesn't show up if you look inside. You need to salvage the container/rip it up to get it back, or check what is in there.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »
One thing I explored, based on a player suggestion, was a skill that would turn a worn item into a container, and possibly a sheathe.  Sort of like criminal tailors in some movies, and the key being normally that item wouldn’t be a container, so folks wouldn’t expect it.

Unfortunately, there are code limitations based on what attributes of an individual instance of an item are saved and which revert to template.  Some cool ideas just aren’t doable without massive rejiggering of the code.

AdamBlue

« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2018, 10:16:28 AM »
If you do manage to get that stuff set up, wherein objects can become containers, also link it to a skill that allows you to either add extra armor to 'regular' looking clothes or simply hide armor under your clothes. This looks like a regular, comfy hat, but it's actually got a bone skullcap hidden in the brim.
Nice silky shirt, that won't stop me from swording yo- Oh, you're wearing a thin set of chainmail underneath.
The 'rinth already has 'weaponized clothing' out the wazoo, why not 'defensive' clothing. And if you could make 'shitty' clothing way more armored than it looks, than you can walk around without being hassled.
Heck, maybe make it super significant, and make recognizing said armor a use for the analyze command.
'This shirt is regularly stitched.'
'This shirt has patches of thin, scrap leather added to make it more sturdy.'
'This shirt is banded with an internal layer of sturdy leather to make it slightly protective.'
'This shirt seems to be armored with hardened leather on the interior, making it almost as good as real armor.'
/
'This shirt is regularly stitched.'
'This shirt has a few choice pieces of shell/chitin added to certain vital points on the body.'
'This shirt bears a few rigid lengths of shell/chitin to provide protection.'
'This shirt bears internal ribs made of chitin, reasonably keeping the wearer safer.'

Of course, wearing what is essentially a 'kevlar vest' is never going to compare to wearing your full set of riot gear. But having a nice mix of skill, stealth, and protection can become an extremely valuable market. Especially for people who like to be fashionable, but safe, or assassins who plan on getting their hands dirty. Nothing is more disarming than seeing a merchant wearing plain, fancy clothes out in the desert.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2018, 07:01:43 AM »
Really thinking toolmaking needs some work on the crafts in it.  It's rather basic in what there is to offer with it.  There are some great crafts that come from Chaltons for it, but I've yet to really find much else that is good with it that has the level of crafting those do.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

AdamBlue

« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2018, 07:52:13 PM »
You know, the Touched guilds are a pretty cool concept. More subtle attunation to magickal ability through skills and traits.

Maybe, though, once all the new guilds come out, you lads can come out with a 'Attuned' Magical subguild. Kind of like Touched, but hear me out.

It would be based on your main guild, and depending on which one you took, it would give magical abilities that only supplemented that one. So you would have less variety than a touched or a regular subguild magicker, but it would be more useful for that character type, and would only grow and foster better if they reached a certain point within their mundane lives.
Something sorta like:
There's that up and coming new guy in the Byn! He's absolutely insane, I heard he single-handedly killed a Mekillot! It's true, some people say he hit it once in the the head and it's skull caved in! Is he even human?! (Fighter/Ruk Attuned)

It's incredible how smart the new merchant is! Seems he knows just about every language enough to make a sale!  (Artisan/Krathi Attuned)

There's this guy in the 'rinth who's almost like a ghost. People say he can just disappear and reappear at will. Spooky. (Infiltrator/Whiran)

It trades the adaptability of a regular subguild, magick subguild or touched one for a straight up focus on the character's archetype. There'd be some crossover, of course, and it would be a massive undertaking, due to the fact there are 15 classes, with 4 archetypes among them, leading to over sixty different variations of skills to be focused on, unless you broke it down to one 'focus' type per 'combat level'. I could see merchants probably enjoying the same broad types of skills, and Heavy Combat users enjoying the same type of combat skills.

I'd say that Heavy Combat probably would focus on straight up, close quarters combat magicks,
Light Combat would probably be ranged magicks and travel skills.
Mixed would probably have an entire focus on a couple of magickal attacks and a couple of utilitarian, every day use ones.
Light Merchant would enjoy an assortment of relatively interesting spells that assisted them in gathering information and making a few interesting pieces of curio.
Heavy Merchant would be able to create and manipulate insanely magickal artifacts that might fetch a high price to the right person. (Maybe that Heavy Combat guy)
That's still TWENTY, considering four elements over five combat levels.
Then again, maybe choosing 'Focused' could simply be something a bit more freeform to the user. Make it a slightly higher karma level, on par with the regular magick subguilds, then enjoy a conversation with the player about how they plan to play their character.
I'm rambling off ideas, apologies.

rinthrat

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2018, 02:29:36 AM »
For all mercantile guilds: Let view in a shop show if an item is craftable.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »
For all mercantile guilds: Let view in a shop show if an item is craftable.

This would be awesome.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Decameron

« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »
I am a little late to this party:

Agree with the above that the view skill would be pretty useful.

For the more criminal aspect:
Smuggling skill : Albeit limited use as to my knowledge only spice is checked. Could be useful for indies / guild who want to sell. Or if the code was updated to check for poisons, think everyone would be paying these guys. Basic idea would be getting illegal items into the gates.

'I know a guy' : See flags if the area is populated / if the crim-code affects this particular room.

More starting sid? (Seems like a cop-out)

Forgery: Be able to craft some Kadian / Salarr/ Kurac stuff without actually being in the clan (as long as you know the recipe). Really, any former employee should be able to do this. I am assuming some of those crafts are pretty much lost to the playerbase, and having fence #10239 be able to mimic some of the GMH stuff and sell it at a discount would probably lead to some conflict. Don't believe this would require too much on the coding side, as I feel there would be a rank associated with the clan that does not grant access to anything, and maybe invisible to the playerbase.

Con : Temporarily raise the value of object being sold to an NPC. (No clue how difficult this would be to implement)

Trying to think of some more, will add anything I can think of here (unless this is no longer necessary!)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:10:05 PM by Decameron »

Master Sandwich

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2018, 09:51:57 PM »
For the more criminal aspect:
Smuggling skill : Albeit limited use as to my knowledge only spice is checked. Could be useful for indies / guild who want to sell. Or if the code was updated to check for poisons, think everyone would be paying these guys.
To go along with the smuggling idea. Objects (coins) could be hidden inside liquid containers depending on their respective sizes (waterskins, barrels, bottles, etc).