Author Topic: Brainstorming Skills  (Read 1721 times)

Brokkr

• Administrator
Brainstorming Skills
« on: November 17, 2017, 05:06:35 PM »
Going to leave this thread open for the duration of the play test.  The idea is as you see the strengths and weaknesses of your class (and when you see other classes skills, the other classes), you might have ideas for new skills that could improve the experience of a particular class, or set of classes.

This discussion should be for new skills, as opposed to existing skills or abilities that you would want to see on your class (we'll have a separate discussion later for that).  No promises things get implemented, but having a pool of ideas to pull from would be great!

Zwen

Re: Brainstorming Skills
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 05:23:03 PM »
This is not necessarily for the class I'm playing, but it popped to mind because I've found something similar useful in another game.

compare ________ with ________

The idea is that someone skilled in a certain area, like a weapons skill or crafting skill, could look at two items of a certain type and make comparisons between them. Of course we do have some means to do this kind of thing already, but this would be more direct.

Jdr

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »
Ooh, I posted it in First Impressions, but can Pilot please be Master (or at least usable) for the mercantile guilds? It's *so painful*.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Master Sandwich

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:03:06 AM »
I always like the idea of traps.

Traps could be setup on doors and exits, triggered either by opening a door or by marks/prey moving from one room to another utilizing tripwires or snares.

Traps could utilize powders or darts (or some kind of spikes) to poison people. Powders would be either inhaled or effect the eyes (blindness powder).

Snares could immobilize smaller prey with larger and stronger prey being able to more easily break out of snares.

tapas

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:45:28 AM »
Probably just some more stuff for the "toolkit" classes to use. Traps, new poisons, new ways to apply poisons etc. Old poisons with rarer ingredients but require different cures than usual.

I noticed some staff animations have all kinds of cool stuff like throw able firebombs and whatnot.

Staff appears to already headed in this direction. With the changes to archery. But in general there should be more ways to do stuff in Armageddon without beating it with a stick.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:16:21 PM by tapas »

mattrious

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 07:42:40 AM »
I think something that could certainly be useful to those who live in the wilderness would be a wilderness type 'listen' skill. Essentially this skill would be a stealth detection type skill that would also allow PCs to pick up on conversations happening nearby.

So if someone were to sneak into a room your PC was sitting in, and the player had an appropriate level listen they would receive some sort of message like:

You hear something rustling in the bushes nearby.

I believe with the modification of the class structure and how some classes are losing skills, gaining, this could be something that is beneficial to the new wilderness type classes who might not get the standard 'listen' skill.

Fahrenheit

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:26:32 PM »
I know there’s one I’ve wanted that’s escaping me right now, but I would be interested in:

Forage (shelter) - At low levels, this could reveal an immobile “windblock” on the ground that couldn’t be entered, but would reduce the local wind by one level, and maybe the heat by one level as well (or just cast local shade).  If you wanted to get fancy, at higher levels, it could reveal immobile “lean-to”s (etc) that would function like a less effective tent.  This should probably take a lot of stamina (10-20), and only allow one per room.

Stash - like ‘bury’, but in the city
You should not see the desert simply as some faraway place of little rain. There are many forms of thirst.
-William Langewiesche

Master Sandwich

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »
I always like the idea of traps.

Traps could be setup on doors and exits, triggered either by opening a door or by marks/prey moving from one room to another utilizing tripwires or snares.

Traps could utilize powders or darts (or some kind of spikes) to poison people. Powders would be either inhaled or effect the eyes (blindness powder).

Snares could immobilize smaller prey with larger and stronger prey being able to more easily break out of snares.

This should include some method for disarming traps, presumably the person who set the trap would do this, because they'd know it's there.

Also, the search ability should be able to find traps.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 10:26:14 PM »
An amendment to the trap idea:

Skill: Tripwire
Using a rope or new craftable item, the PC can set a tripwire. The first PC moving into the room rolls a scan check. Failing the scan check causes the PC to trip and fall. Only usable on indoor and city rooms. Also rolls a check for the PC weight. If the PC's weight is over X (half giants?) amount, the tripwire breaks. Does not affect mounts.

This would be feasibly easy to implement using existing code and would perhaps scratch that trap itch without adding a stupid instagib mechanic.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Nao

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 02:01:07 PM »
The ability to hide things (instead of yourself) would be neat. Things could be found with search, scan, or some new skill.

A way to use sleight of hand to hold items. You can ready weapons from your belt at the moment without being noticed, but there is no stealthy way to es or ep any other items, afaik.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »
Upvote Nao's idea. If a PC can silently pull a four foot bone sword from a sheath, they should be able to pull a lockpick out of a pouch.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Khorne8

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »
How about a Survey skill to compliment forage?  Currently there's no way to know what can be foraged in a given area other than to forage for every type of thing.  The Survey skill would have a decently long delay before, but return something like:

> You look over the surrounding area.
> You are pretty sure that you could forage this area for rocks, aritfacts, or spice.

and maybe even a return of how picked over the area looks?  With the staff's ability to impact the scarcity of foraged items?

I'd really love it if Survey Stone Obsidian would return you [do/don't] think you might be able to forage obsidian here would work too, but I won't get too picky.

Hitsuchi

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 05:06:31 PM »
How about more ways to interact with wildlife?

A trap skill that would stun the caught animal for a period of time depending on its size / strength. Would catch auto-flee creatures and creatures that are a little too strong for you (at the cost of an additional skill, materials, and luck), and perhaps allow for capturing and selling live beasts.

A lure skill that lets you pull creatures after you by baiting them with appropriate food items, smells or sounds. Same thing here - lets you work around skill weaknesses by compensating with materials and luck. Bonus points if these requirements create more need for certain types of materials, or makes way for more interaction and in-depth "understanding" of wildlife ("a carru will only eat meat in its young life" style wisdoms).

A (sub?)skill that lets you secure yourself when climbing a wall, which lets you take actions that would otherwise make you fall. Shooting arrows down the Shield Wall by tying yourself to an outcropping? Yes please.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
Where I am struggling to think of ideas myself is on the merchant side of the spectrum, especially for criminal and city/general type merchant and light merchant types.  *hint hint*

Also, while content add type ideas are fine, skills that change the dynamic of a class in its relation to others are typically more interesting.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:10:16 PM by Brokkr »

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 06:32:30 PM »
Do you have any examples of existing skills that fill a similar role to what you're describing? Just so we're all on the same page!

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 06:56:28 PM »
Sure.

Content type stuff would be, for instance, the split of archery into several different skills.  At the end of the day, they are all ranged skills used to kill things, and so the split was really an addition of content, rather than changing the dynamic.

Sleight of hand, on the other hand, changes the dynamic, even though it pretty much also just does things that other skills do.  The ability get things, draw weapons, and open doors stealthily, rather than with normal echo'ing, allows the dynamic in PC to PC interaction to change, for those characters that have the skill vs those that don't.

Zwen

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 07:15:01 PM »
Where I am struggling to think of ideas myself is on the merchant side of the spectrum, especially for criminal and city/general type merchant and light merchant types.  *hint hint*

I don't know what class(es) this would fit best, but I have always wished that it was possible to use the haggle skill to make deals for multiple copies of the same item. Especially for buying. If you're buying materials in bulk, you should be able to get a better deal than you could for one item at a time.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 07:45:20 PM »
I'm gonna try to brainstorm some stuff. Unfortunately, looking to D&D and other tabletops for inspiration isn't helping, as we've already got analogous skills for most things a Pathfinder merchant might have, for example.

Khorne8

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 10:57:20 PM »

I believe it was noted before but a "Compare" skill for merchants that would allow merchants to determine the relative quality of two compared items of the same time would be fantastic and really make merchants useful on the regular.  There are so many different breastplates, but a skill armorsmith should be able to say:
Breastplate A is much heavier than Breastplate B, but it also provides significantly better protection (if A is for example Horror and B is Raptor Hide)
or
Breastplate A is much heavier than Breastplate B, but it also provides less protection (if A is for example, generic Heavy Scrab Shell and B is mastercrafter Drov Beetle)

Also, tweaking anyone with Value so they can tell if a piercing weapons is a stabbing weapons, or a slashing weapon is actually a razor... or any of those little bits that don't currently seem to show up.

Ansel

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 12:02:02 AM »
For crafting/merchant heavy roles, something akin to "tailor" would be awesome.  It's awkward to craft a set of armor or clothing for someone and then inform them that they have to then have it resized.  Armor repair isn't a skill I've been able to play around with much, but something similar that required raw goods to alter the size of items, and maybe let you resize them to races.  IE : tailor cuirass (dwarf) ((you need a scrap of leather and a chunk of chitin)).  It would also help raiding and mercenary clans have something to do with their war spoils and their less combat-forward members.

- A.

Ansel

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 12:05:24 AM »
For criminals, there could be a 'bribe' command that lets you target yourself or another, and offers the chance of coin or items as the "bribe" itself.  bribe soldier 100 coins Amos could, if the skill worked, give Amos a quick reprieve from the crim-code.  If it failed badly, it could get Amos or the briber him/herself arrested on the spot.  If it semi-failed, it could either be rejected outright or cause you to lose the bribe without getting anything in return.

Fahrenheit

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 01:28:33 AM »
If you're looking to split some things, I think splitting off some of the poison skills could be cool.  For example, splitting off the ability to 'see' poison on items, or the ability to forage poison, from other skills.  This wouldn't help a class that already had those skills, but you could give those two abilities to more classes without the need to give them the whole parent skill.

One idea for adjusting an existing skill to boost them would be to simply make them a little faster (when running).  I don't know if you can do that with PCs, but it seems to work with mounts.
You should not see the desert simply as some faraway place of little rain. There are many forms of thirst.
-William Langewiesche

tapas

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 10:13:44 AM »
A way to pawn fenced goods maybe? Through merchant contacts or through a special merchant that only speaks to cavilish speaking players.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
It would be awesome if a fence could actually fence, but there aren't really tags for stuff that has been stolen.  So it would be limited to stuff like AoD items that you can't sell and such, which would seem to be of limited value.

tapas

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 04:23:11 PM »
Or maybe the inverse. Access to markets other characters don't have. For example they can occasionally order in a rare crafting material like a rantarri hide or a some dujat scales. Nothing quite regular enough to put your hunters out of work though.