Author Topic: First impressions!  (Read 597 times)

th3kaiser

• Helper
Re: First impressions!
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
You in no way need master pilot to have it usable. Used it on multiple rangers and warriors over the years, it's pretty reliable even at a terrible max cap.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 11:16:56 AM »
So that someone with no experience with wagons or silt skimmers can't jump in them and handle them perfectly.  They need to build the IC experience.  They also have the potential to get better at them than most folks, which is what the skill on their list represents (not experience with them!).

If you are looking at your class and wondering why it got pilot...I looked at it with silt skimmers in mind as well as GMH wagons.

Master Sandwich

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »
It's been about a half week since I created my character and entered the game.

At first I was disappointed with the lack of some of the starting skills, but they are skills that I'll later be able to branch to and that's fine, they seem to be less useful starting out and will probably be there when I need them later on.

I was similarly surprised to start with some of the skills I'd expect to normally branch too. They'll probably be of good use early on so I was pleased.

I like that most of the core skills start at apprentice rather than novice. I imagine it's going to help make it less "grindy" and help my character jump into the action much sooner.

One thing I'm concerned with is the way city/wilderness stealth works (which isn't specifically related to the beta test) where a character might get both because of the class and sub-glass combination. Basically does the character get both? No answer needed, as I'm sure I'll find out through play but the dynamic is something that's sure to have an impact on the new classes.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:32:43 PM by Master Sandwich »

tapas

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »
Would this time to bring up the Ride skill?

I think most players have taken this skill as granted but it looks like some classes don't get it? Is it because those classes are expected to be city bound?

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »
That was my take on it, and I'm actually glad it's done this way.  My thoughts are that there needs to be a few more subguilds with the ride skill.  I'm quite pleased with the setup on the class side.  There are 22 subguilds and 21 extended subguilds.  There are five and two sub/extend subs that have the ride skill, by my count.  Possible suggestions might be adding ride to Outlaw and Outdoorsman (with some balancing).

Edit:  Apologies, I hope this doesn't break the rules of this thread.  Feel free to modify, if necessary, but I had devoted some thought to this already, and had written a report on it that got botched *shakes fist at request tool*
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:16:32 PM by SuchDragonWow »
Where it will go

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »
Welllllllll...

Everyone gets ride, even if it doesn't start on your skill list you can get it.

I don't think that is what you mean when you say ride though.  I'm assuming you mean no hand ride (riding with both hands full) which lots of combat folks seem to like these days.

There are a couple of elements of ride we changed for the new classes.  No hand ride is the most dramatic.  It doesn't work like it used to.  Even having a subguild with a higher ride skill will not be a guarantee that you can no hand ride (although it does some other useful things).

So yeah...don't assume this works like it does for current guilds.

Those changes that "broke" no hand ride a week or two back for current guilds were the changes for the new classes.  Looking forward to folks figuring out how it works.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:34:08 PM by Brokkr »

tapas

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 07:25:32 PM »
Cool. Thanks.

I'll give some feedback when I get a chance to try it.

Well now ride has just popped into my skill list. Was this a change or a super early branch?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:09:41 PM by tapas »

Nao

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 06:08:16 AM »
I can't really say much here without going into specifics. Can we still send in a character report for first impressions? Would those go under 'Tuluki templarate', too?

I really like the wide selection of starting skills and how some of them are at useful levels right out of chargen. One particular crafting skill is especially amazing to have right from the start and will save a lot of headaches in the future just because you can't find item X. I'm also excited about the foraging ability.

From the helpfile text, I would expect some slightly different starting skills (it does suggest several roles that aren't really possible without branching first), but the skill list should clarify that for most people. There is also a skill listed under both starting skills and branched skills (the second Advanced skill in the branched list) that's not actually a starting skill.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »
Yeah please send in a report after the first week to Tuluki Templarate.  Can be more specific there.

tapas

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2017, 04:12:49 PM »
Seems like ride has just popped into my skill list. Was this just added or have I discovered a secret?

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2017, 08:25:06 AM »
Seems like ride has just popped into my skill list. Was this just added or have I discovered a secret?

Ride is a learnable skill from use.  You likely picked it up from use.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 12:12:09 AM »
Feel like my starting skills are such that I don't feel I need to branch something to play my role effectively.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

ShaLeah

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 02:17:27 PM »
I'm so impressed. For the first time since I started playing I am not afraid of dying immediately and for a person who plays social characters who don't have a reason to grind this is KEY. It just so happens that on this character I am using skills and I'm really pleased. Excellent X3. Good job. I'm excited to branch!
Quote from: Oryx
Shal is on point.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.
Quote from: Anonymous
this doesn't sound very fun, shal
Quote from: Anonymous
You didn't store did you
Because.. I lurve you.

deskoft

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 11:43:01 AM »
The new subguild I have has been very generous to me because at this moment I've been able to pretty much roleplay my character with every single bit of coded back-up I've needed. The list of skills I have is incredible for my purpose.

AdamBlue

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2018, 03:42:43 PM »
My character is unfortunately literally just a warrior but without the skinning skill.

Van

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2018, 05:39:52 AM »
It's hard to say much, as I'm just getting started. Currently, with the combination of my extended subguild, I feel a little like a mundane sorcerer. It is cool, and starting most of the skills out at apprentice is very helpful for the early days.

It also feels very powerful, I hope the other classes skills list feel similarly strong.

Kankfly

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »
Kind of a belated posting but...

I really like the initial skills set up, that they didn't start at novice so I'm able to craft things without ruining a bunch of materials and go broke. I think some players' mentality is about 'getting gud' before you can get anything done in Arm, and this kind of balances it out.

My only problem was... there are so many skills to practice! Which isn't a real complaint.

Overall, my first impression was great.
I ruin immershunz.

Klendathu

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2018, 03:43:31 AM »
I was very impressed by my skill list and wish I had had it on prior characters. Brokkr's recent post on the ride changes makes me even more excited for the options opening up to those of us of a martial persuasion.

Jarvis

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 09:29:08 AM »
Just got my first "new guilder" up and running, and I won't say anything that hasn't be said, but I'm very pleasantly surprised with the options and potential of the class, whilst not feeling overpowered right away.
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

Knight of Knives

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
First impressions:

This is probably all I've ever wanted in terms of city sneak-y characters. With a full kruth-deck of skills you are started out with the basic capability to be so versatile off the bat. I think not having to spend hours to try and branch out key skills is really nice. It also feels like a good balance of combat to non-combat skills, with very good synergy as far as subguilds go. You could very easily round out some combat capabilities, add crafting/outdoorsyness, or get a leg up on subterfuge with them.

I think I would choose this over existing burglar/pickpockets every single time. It takes away about 100% of my reserves of either of those classes, which feel so much like one-trick ponies, especially starting out.

"Everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

"Do not become addicted to water, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence."

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »
Given there is a sneaky class that has every skill that burglar and pickpocket have, combined, except two I think (going to have to do the math there again), Im not surprised.  the real test for whether weve succeeded is if folks see situations for picking the other ones, or better yet, are torn about which one to pick for a character concept they have.