Author Topic: First impressions!  (Read 1074 times)

Brokkr

• Administrator
First impressions!
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:18:29 PM »
This topic is to gather the first impressions.  Things like...what did you think of the helpfile?  When you started your character, in general, what did you think of the starting skill levels?  Try to stay away from specific skills, if you can, and just answer in general!

Do you think this skillset will give you an opportunity to engage in more/less roles than the skillsets of existing similar guild(s)?

Fahrenheit

Re: First impressions!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:06:06 AM »
I don't have too much to say yet, as I haven't gotten a chance to really test out the skillset, but I love the selection of starting skills.  They seem to be much more oriented toward the type of character that I wanted to play than I was expecting.  Before the announcement, I was planning to choose a certain guild/subguild combo to get the skills I thought I would need for this PC, but under the new guild, all those skills were provided by the main guild, which freed me to use my subguild for more flavor/playability.  Love the helpfile, also.  It cleared up some things that I felt the old helpfile guild entries always left unclear.

There does seem to be one skill entry in my helpfile that is repeated between the list of starting skills and the list of eventual skills (it's the very last entry).  I did not start with it, so I'm guessing it belongs in the latter.

Beyond that, I'm excited to try this out!
You should not see the desert simply as some faraway place of little rain. There are many forms of thirst.
-William Langewiesche

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »
Ah yeah, good catch!  Fixed!

infinitehope

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »
The guild i'm testing is very interesting so far, and has possibility to synergize with subguilds very well, and opens a wide variety of possible roles; it was very difficult to chose a subguild for me as theres so much varying potential, and I , as a player, enjoy having lots of options for my character to do.

The helpfile intro paragraph was very awesome, and felt thematic, and described the potential of the guild real well, and while I do have some concerns about some of the skills caps, I need to test them out further before I can say anything concrete.

Jdr

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:45:14 PM »
I honestly haven't been able to try my guild out yet, due to the nature of my role. I'm sure I'll soon contrive a reason to indulge myself with it though.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

tapas

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 01:19:56 AM »
I took a guild on the heavy combat end. And it seems... powerful. Much more powerful than an equivalent current class + subclass even. Havn't brought it in game at all yet.

Before the announcement, I was planning to choose a certain guild/subguild combo to get the skills I thought I would need for this PC, but under the new guild, all those skills were provided by the main guild, which freed me to use my subguild for more flavor/playability. 

Same here actually. Normally I would choose a subguild complimentary to skills of my main guild. But now I'm free to make a choice that doesn't hinge on any sort of the older deficiencies.

I think the helpfile is fine. It's similar enough to the old ones. It does a good job of conveying  some of the personality and intended role of the class.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:30:52 AM by tapas »

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:05:53 PM »
I haven't made the character, yet, but the helpfile seems solid.  The array of skills, if they branch how I believe they will, seems intuitive.  To be specific without being specific, if I use this skill, I get this craft.  I'll have more comments when I get into the game.
Where it will go

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:35:02 PM »
There are several reasons for no including skill branching at this time.  One is interested to see if how you think the class will branch...is indeed the way it will branch!

Zwen

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 06:14:12 PM »
I haven't apped my character yet, but I was really happy about the skill list. There was only one skill that I thought "hey, where is ______?", but I imagine it was intentionally left out (classes need to have strengths and weaknesses after all).

OverIt

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »
I am damned giddy over the helpfile and skillset so far and have been prodding at things here and there as I have time. I've put in a bug to question something but haven't had a chance yet to really dig into things overall as I'd like. I've noticed one newer feature that made me pause and grin so thanks for working on all this.

th3kaiser

• Helper
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 04:54:21 PM »
So far I'm rather liking the skill-set. Mostly seems a good balance of what I assume was being attempted. I do have a couple thoughts I'll add to my first week report.

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 05:05:31 PM »
Iíll also try to get some things tested before the first week is up, and make some notes.  So far itís been a nice look, with things seeming to fit with the idea put forth.
Where it will go

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 03:25:52 AM »
I wrote a decent length report about my initial impressions to staff, and I accidentally backspaced out of the window.  FML
Where it will go

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 11:27:59 PM »
Was anyone surprised, hopefully positively, at the level of their starting skills?

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 10:05:24 AM »
Most seemed on par, but the starting crafts my class had were kinda disappointing.  Would have liked to have them a slight bit higher to be less of a grind initially to get started, though I could also see how that is appropriate for the class. 
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

mattrious

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 10:29:32 AM »
Really enjoying the class so far. While I don't feel it's overly powerful (to start), I do think that there is a ton of potential with it and the amount of skills the class has access to. The help file was great, and very informative in my opinion. I'll be sending in a detailed report after my first full week of play. So far, it's great though.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
Most seemed on par, but the starting crafts my class had were kinda disappointing.  Would have liked to have them a slight bit higher to be less of a grind initially to get started, though I could also see how that is appropriate for the class.

Hmmm.  You are probably playing the class with the least benefit from increased starting skills.  As a note, heavy crafters will see the benefit from increased starting craft level.  Heavy combat for combat skills.  Mixed for survival type skills.  Light classes will be a mix.

The overall framework is that I targeted a certain amount of skill points, or less, for improvement.  The higher the skill maxes in point value for your class, the higher the starting skill level for that skill for your class is.  So typically the amount of grind (ie improvement) for a particular crafting skill on an light merchantile or mixed is going to be the same as the amount of grind on that skill a heavy merchantile has to do.  There are exceptions, but those are due to skill caps being lower than the targeted amount of skill points for improvement.  So less grind but less potential as well.

Doesn't necessarily correlate to master, advanced, etc. because skills have different values that they become master at, depending on the maximum level the skill gets to when looking across all classes.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:53:14 AM by Brokkr »

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
That is what I was figuring with the class I'm playing, which is very cool and workable.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

infinitehope

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 05:51:09 PM »
One thing i've definetly noticed so far with the guild im testing, is there is a lot of possible overlap with many subguilds and extended subguilds. Which demonstrates how versatile the new guild is while having it's specialties. I wound up taking a subguild I normally do not take/enjoy and have been enjoying it on top of what my guild is.

So far i haven't had a chance to test -much-, but ill be putting in  a report by monday on my more in-depth thoughts so far.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 01:29:10 PM »
One thing i've definetly noticed so far with the guild im testing, is there is a lot of possible overlap with many subguilds and extended subguilds. Which demonstrates how versatile the new guild is while having it's specialties. I wound up taking a subguild I normally do not take/enjoy and have been enjoying it on top of what my guild is.

So far i haven't had a chance to test -much-, but ill be putting in  a report by monday on my more in-depth thoughts so far.

I love the idea of making it so SubGuilds add flavor more to the class rather than be a major pick of what your character is.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 08:09:09 PM »
Just a heads up, this fri-mon Iíll be working 55 hours and sleeping maybe 12 hours total.  I wonít be able to be on. Iíll send in a report when I get home
Where it will go

infinitehope

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »

I love the idea of making it so SubGuilds add flavor more to the class rather than be a major pick of what your character is.

Exactly how I feel. its great!

Zwen

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 12:58:39 PM »
Was anyone surprised, hopefully positively, at the level of their starting skills?

I remember Nergal posting something about higher starting skill levels, so that wasn't a total surprise, but I'm definitely finding the starting skill levels really nice. They give those initial hours a very different feel, I'm finding.

Ansel

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 01:05:33 PM »
My first thought was - "Wow, that's a lot of skills."

I picked one of the last classes left and their skill list/role is a lot cooler and more diverse than I thought it'd be.  I feel like this class could slot into a ton of different clans and play styles.

Only on the 5 hour mark so far, so I'll write a longer update in a couple days.

Jdr

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 12:22:38 AM »
Why, why, why is pilot not defaulted to master (or some other rank where you can USE it)? Pls Brokkr have a heart.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.