Author Topic: [Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead] Tales of the Apocalypse  (Read 3536 times)

Marauder Moe

Re: [Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead] Tales of the Apocalypse
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2017, 08:42:12 PM »
Phi and Thad found a neat mansion with two stories and a basement.  Loaded the wheelbarrow with all kinds of good stuff.  Also found a pair of pike awls.  With those, the duo are a veritable zombie-killing machine.

Meanwhile, the apocalypse is only a few weeks old and already people have forgotten basic manners, like knocking first before climbing in your window and asking for help killing his zombified mother.

No matter, it wasn't a difficult task.  Phi and Thad were heading that way already to check out a ranch.  After doing the deed, this other fellow agreed to pal around for a while.  Good thing too because he knows a few things about mechanics, a knowledge sorely lacked.

The ranch had a few goodies but most importantly a functioning excavator.  The machine itself isn't that useful, but the engine should be strong enough to power the army transport Phi spotted shortly after being freed from the lab.  It probably needs to have a can of gas hauled over to make it all the way back to the stalled transport.

On the way back from the ranch they saw another survivor (Danilo Singleton, who aptly seems to prefer being on his own) battling some zombie scientists.  The scientists yielded some more Science ID cards as well as a few CBMs.

Phi continues to evolve into a white reptilian creature, with impressive stats, heat vision, and tough scaly armor.  Thad still digs the look.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »
The machine itself isn't that useful, but the engine should be strong enough to power the army transport Phi spotted shortly after being freed from the lab.

There are no useless items or vehicles in this game.

Cool update! I was wondering how Phi (and everyone else) is doing.

Valeria, your character and mine should meet up! Too bad there's no multiplayer. Oh well.

Adrian Holt's life continues to be strange and exciting. Never before have I been so scared just passing time in a windowless videogame room, staring anxiously at the closed door and waiting for nightfall while uninvited visitors come knocking.

Soon after Adrian's desperate from the burning, zombie-infested refugee center, he holed up in a tea shop's small, windowless kitchen, staying very quiet as he heard noise coming from the left, right, down and probably from up, too. The door was bashed twice before whatever was outside gave up. Fortunately, the night came without his head being chomped off, so he made his way around the city again - now in the opposite direction, spending a night in the woods before he ended up back at the shelter he had started from. Safety wasn't to be found anywhere. Adrian shares a special bond with animals and gets along well with most of them, but even so, the woods were far from safe. Time and time again he had to fight off a small starving animal with his pocket knife.

Whenever he broke into a house to catch his breath for a little while, Adrian would find some not so useful books and magazines and use them to light a fire in an oven. He had run out of orange juice and needed water to drink, and he's too weak (5) to break furniture to use as firewood, so books were his only option. No one really needs the Time magazine anymore, right? For a little while, there was a pigeon trapped in the same house as him to keep him company. Unfortunately he couldn't stay long enough to befriend it.

The third night, Adrian decided to abandon the city altogether and follow the one road that was leading west through the woods. Roads usually lead someplace, right? Hopefully this one would lead him to a place he could call home, a place where zombies didn't roam in packs of hundreds. Fortunately for him, he was still carrying most of the stuff he and Atomos had found together, plus a few other things that would help him make a new start away from the city. Namely...

-An outdoors survival magazine with information about edible plants, and how to prepare them. One of the luckiest finds. Without this, wilderness survival would have been hard to justify.
-A magazine teaching clueless beginners how to sew and mend clothing (from 0 to 1) - another lucky find since some of the boy's stuff had already fallen apart, and the only thing protecting him from animal bites and the relentless cold were layers upon layers of clothes.
-A chemistry textbook - he doesn't understand this one yet, but he will in time
-A book about glassblowing, also too difficult to understand for now
-A book with his favorite fairytales, stories he loves that used to be read to him by his mother. He refused to leave this book behind even as he kept running out of backpack space and had to constantly re-evaluate what to keep and what to leave behind.

-A Guy Fawkes mask (important!!!)
-Enough clothing (though most of it torn) to stay reasonably warm
-Three plastic bottles for clean water and stuff.
-A pocket knife
-Three flashlights with batteries, plus extra batteries
-A pot for cooking
-A cell phone to keep track of time
-The same insulation mat and sleeping bag he and Atomos found in the very first house they searched
-A gallon jug of milk
-Two cans with curry rice
-A bunch of uncooked eggs
-Two lighters and a matchbook

After a long trek following the road through the woods, Adrian finally discovered something: a shelter similar to the one he left, built but never put to use. The main difference being that this one was in the middle of nowhere. The only zombie in sight had already been killed by a moose, so all Adrian had to do was bash its skull to a pulp with a stick. He had seen Atomos do this on the first day. It seemed important to keep doing it.

There was absolutely nothing in the shelter apart from a pair of hiking boots (?), but its windows and curtains were intact and it had a basement. Adrian soon discovered that the adjacent swamp had some puddles with drinkable water, not only salt water, and of course there was plenty of forest to scour for food and twigs. A little ways to the south, there was a decrepit barn containing a plow (hooray?) without a tractor to pull it. Also a pitchfork, which makes a decent weapon, and some rocks and scrap metal. The adjacent parking lot had no vehicles of any sort, unless a shopping cart counts? Adrian spent hours zipping around the empty parking lot with his shopping cart, wearing his Guy Fawkes mask and pretending to be a badass superhero who saves the world. Alternatively, he wouldn't mind his parents showing up with a car to come pick him up... or Atomos. He still doesn't know if the woman is alive somewhere out there.

It's not much, but there are no zombies anywhere nearby. There is food and water to be found. God willing (the kid is devout!) he'll be able to stay here for a while, and learn to fend for himself in the woods.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:17:37 PM by Akaramu »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2017, 09:20:27 PM »
Well it's not very useful for hauling stuff or people.  Tiny cab.  Like I said, I intend to strip it for parts to get the army transport rolling.

Can NPCs do stuff around your base?  Or do they just have "guard mode" and "follow mode"?

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2017, 09:26:23 PM »
Well it's not very useful for hauling stuff or people.  Tiny cab.  Like I said, I intend to strip it for parts to get the army transport rolling.

Can NPCs do stuff around your base?  Or do they just have "guard mode" and "follow mode"?

If it can actually dig, then it's useful. There is stuff like mining in this game - and places where digging can net nice rewards.  ;) Or monsters that were previously buried...

NPCs can help with crafting and construction (by speeding it up, I think) if they have the skill you're using, and they'll learn from books with you if they're nearby and fulfill the requirements of the book. Some of their quests also branch into long story arcs, though NPCs are still work in progress and some of the follow-up quests aren't coded in yet.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:32:19 PM by Akaramu »

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »
Oh, something else about NPCs - you can assign 'zones', I forget the assigned key, that they're not allowed to pick up stuff from. You can apparently also craft bulletin boards with NPC assignments, but that feature is very work in progress right now. I don't think you can anything really useful with bulletin boards just yet.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2017, 11:34:14 PM »
Team Phi had a very bold day.  First they went to a town and basically cleared out all the zombies.  Boomers are easy when you can pop them from 3 tiles away.

Next they robbed a bank.  Thad was supposedly interested in one of the safe deposit boxes, but seemed to have forgotten about it.  (Quest bugged?)  One of the vaults had a power armor helmet in it, though.  That might be fun some day.

After that they went about siphoning diesel out of a few vehicles.  While doing this they found a house that looked kind of weird and misshapen.  It was also surrounded by giant wasps.  Were they building a nest?  Phi decided that the safest course of action would be to light it on fire and run away.

Then they went back to the ranch and filled up the excavator.  The battery had died so they had to make a quick stop back in town to get a new one.  Everyone also decided they were tired and a bit beat up from the day's events, so they had a nap in the ranch house.

Refreshed, they went back to the garage and tried the starter.  The machine roared to life and they hopped aboard.  The trip back home was otherwise uneventful.  The town is fairly well tapped out, though Phi may go back to retrieve the wheelbarrow, since there was no way to get it into the excavator.

Pale Horse

« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2017, 12:42:44 AM »
Zala had spent the better part of two months salvaging vehicle parts, reading mechanical manuals and searching for batteries to power the one precious welder found during a long ago scavenging run.  Many long nights were spent welding armor to the outside of a firetruck, pulling out the interior to make room for cargo storage, a full kitchen unit, extra seating and several beds.  The days grew colder, the crops no longer grew and falling snow obscured the surrounding and left enough of a coating on the ground for the feet of the coven's leader to leave a trail from the street into the nearby, broken home.

Finally, on the first day of winter, all the supplies were transferred, all the armor was applied, the batteries of the now electrically powered firetruck were humming with full power and Zala decided it was time to go.  The seed in her heart had bloomed in the cold and she needed to take to the road.  And despite her initial plans, her entire troupe would come with her.

Everyone took seats and as the leader (and only one with any sort of driving skill), Zala took her place behind the wheel, her wyrmskin armor creaking and slithering across the seat, turned the key to bring the engine to life and plowed through the remains of the cannibalized cars surrounding their once-home and took of into the plains to the west of Greene.  There was a river not that far away and they needed to top off their tanks.  After that...There was a large city to the south of Greene.  There was also a camp of bandits Zala had spotted during a run made to the river.  There were...things to do.  She just needed to find out, exactly, what the seed inside of her was telling her she should do.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2017, 01:36:21 PM »
Does anyone (like the wise PH) know it it's possible to make your own screwdriver if you don't have duct tape? This is what I'm lacking the most so far, and looting towns for one isn't an option anytime soon.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:41:20 PM by Akaramu »

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2017, 04:01:22 PM »
Convinced I saw one of your Cataclysm characters last night in San Francisco.

Dude was wearing a kimono and a mask and roller blading through an intersection with a wakizashi at his hip.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Hauwke

« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
Convinced I saw one of your Cataclysm characters last night in San Francisco.

Dude was wearing a kimono and a mask and roller blading through an intersection with a wakizashi at his hip.
Thats more than slightly wierd.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
Did he have a motorcycle helmet? A proper Cataclysm character needs a motorcycle helmet.  8)

racurtne

« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »
So playing pks rebalance mod now. I left my old save and will go back to it later.

Had a couple of bad starts and died horribly, so I turned down spawn rate a little. I just couldn't survive, though one characer did do some pretty bad ass stuff where he stabbed a zombie to death with a screwdriver whIle sprinting from the surrounded evac shelter(was inside the city) to a swatvan, where he found a pistol and proceeded to run over hordes until the gas ran out and went out in a blaze of glory.

I started a new game with Cesar, the last firefighter in his firehouse left alive. Stuck on the southwest side of a huge city, Cesar spoke with an optimistic scientist sort whose name he can't remember. As the zombies approached, Cesar invited him to come along into the firehouse proper, but he liked his chances. Cesar ducked into the firehouse aND shut the metal gate behind him. A lot of glass breaking and the sounds of combat distracted him for only a second before he was forced to take on some of his former comrades.
Armed with his trusty Halligan bar, and then a fire axe, Cesar secured the station. He then went to check on the office area and found nothing but boomer smoke. He donned his mask and made short work of the zombies. He started feeling sick though (irradiated??? How?)

He fought for nearly the full day just to clear the front of the firehouse and took a terrible bite. Luckily he had a first aid kit handy.

He hates junk food and is having a really hard time finding real food, but has thus far been able to keep fed, though sewer rats are not what he was hoping for when he thought of "real food".

PSA fire axes are awesome
Alea iacta est

racurtne

« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »
Did get some potassium iodide tabs off the scientist guy.

Cesar really needs a mop though, the area in front of the firehouse is practically one big blood slick
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:03:07 PM by racurtne »
Alea iacta est

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2017, 05:25:46 PM »
So playing pks rebalance mod now. I left my old save and will go back to it later.

Had a couple of bad starts and died horribly, so I turned down spawn rate a little. I just couldn't survive, though one characer did do some pretty bad ass stuff where he stabbed a zombie to death with a screwdriver whIle sprinting from the surrounded evac shelter(was inside the city) to a swatvan, where he found a pistol and proceeded to run over hordes until the gas ran out and went out in a blaze of glory.

I'll straight up admit that I save scum for the first few days, otherwise only like 1 out of 50 games would last more than 5 days. The thing is, I use mods and settings (and challenging character concepts) for the sake of having a more difficult mid and late game experience, but the side effect of all this is that the early game becomes almost impossible to survive. So I treat the first 5 days as a very challenging turn based strategy where I try to find the one action / one direction to walk in that won't get my character killed.

As an example of just how hard I make the game for myself - I really treat my current character as a kid. He can't drive cars, fell trees, or use firearms other than handguns. Can't even use bows other than shortbows. He could do some of those things like fell trees if an allied NPC was present (the NPC would do the felling or driving), but I'm not having much luck with NPCs so far. Really hoped my starting companion would last a bit longer...

I never save scum after that initial phase, though. Because it really does ruin the fun later on.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:29:32 PM by Akaramu »

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2017, 05:28:10 PM »
Tasia's highlights from the end of spring included finding some wheat seeds and getting those fuckers in the ground so that she isn't surviving on junk food and cooked meat alone.  She also netted an aluminum keg from someone's trash bin, which now sits under her funnel collecting water for the brand new water cask next to her brand new fireplace.  Hopefully by the time the rains stop and it transitions into summer, she will have enough to last.  If not, it's back to toilet water.

Tasia has had a mixed experience with grenades.  On the one hand, there is no way that shocker zombie would have been so easy without grenades, or that zombie brute.  On the other hand... while attempting to pick the lock on a house, Tasia also accidentally pulled a pin on a grenade and didn't realize it.  That leather armor helmet she made herself to replace her fedora (sad face) really saved her bacon, but recovery took three days.  So that was fun too.  It gave her time to make a full suit of leather armor.  The fancy jacket and thin tie have perhaps been put away for good.

A wrench was found.  A hacksaw will hopefully be found soon, because Tasia is down to chewing tobacco, nicotine gum, and hand-rolled cigarettes again, and she's really not digging the chew life.

So far, Tasia has seen no one but herself moving around in the apocalypse, but maybe that will change when she gets mobile.

Pale Horse

« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2017, 06:33:59 PM »
Does anyone (like the wise PH) know it it's possible to make your own screwdriver if you don't have duct tape? This is what I'm lacking the most so far, and looting towns for one isn't an option anytime soon.

Negative.  Screwdrivers require duct tape and there isn't, unhappily, a recipe for a makeshift screwdriver.

However, you can make your own duct tape.  You'll need the following:

Fabrication skill: 6
1 cutting tool of value 1 or greater
1 cooking tool of value 2 or greater
A fire or implement of cooking (hotplate, charcoal stove, etc)
50 units of sinew, yarn, thread or plant fiber
1 superglue
6 rags
1 plastic chunk

To make the superglue, you'll need:

Cooking skill: 6
1 cooking tool of value 1 or greater
A fire or implement of cooking (hotplate, charcoal stove, etc)
1 unit of water or clean water
Various binding ingredients, but the easiest to get are: 10 pine boughs or 20 bones or 20 handfuls of dandelions or 2 cured hides or 1 unit of bleach
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2017, 06:43:24 PM »
Daaamn. Poor Adrian won't be able to build his little castle (inside the evac shelter, with walls painted the colors of the rainbow) for a long, long time. Maybe by the time he can, he'll be too grown up to want his own castle anymore...

racurtne

« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2017, 07:11:28 PM »
I'll try a new world at 1.00 spawns with a firefighter. It is probably going to be impossible. But...

I may have to hack in a couple of first aid kits to make it ...what fire station has no first aid kit? Srsly.

I onky played 3 days on that character.
Alea iacta est

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2017, 07:18:03 PM »
First aid kits are far less mandatory than a knife and a lighter. Or a couple lighters, for good measure.

You know you can cauterize bite wounds with a knife and a lighter, right?

Pale Horse

« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »
First aid kits are far less mandatory than a knife and a lighter. Or a couple lighters, for good measure.

You know you can cauterize bite wounds with a knife and a lighter, right?

Be warned: it might cleanse the wound (also works to cauterize bleeding wounds), and it may actually make it infected.

Better have some antibiotics ready.

Conversely, if you ever manage to last long enough to grow crops or get a high enough survivor skill, you can turn thyme into disinfectant.

Hauwke

« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2017, 07:36:03 PM »
Integrated tool kit OP!
At least if you have a steady power source, eg solar panels and joint torsion ratchet.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »
Integrated tool kit OP!
At least if you have a steady power source, eg solar panels and joint torsion ratchet.

Yeah! You can even use it as a self-rechargable welder for your vehicle  8)

Pale Horse

« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »
Integrated tool kit OP!

Integrated Tool Kits give a huge boost to surviving so long as you can get a source of power, yes.

Update on Zala and her followers.

The group successfully moved into a new town, one boarding a swamp that has access to water both potable and salt.  They set up shop above ground at the last house on the right that directly boarders the glades and Zala spent most of the winter scavenging scrap and working on a unified workbench that included forging capability, chemistry workstations and a full kitchen set up.  She managed to pull apart a horde of solar panels and now has the whole station hooked up to two solar arrays, which provide the power collecting abilities of 20 solar panels into two spaces that are also elevated away from suffering casual damage from creatures on the ground.

There is an anvil and a still set up and Zala was quickly on the way to being able to provide the oldest form of cheer and merrymaking known to human kind (that didn't involve bed sheets) and brew some alcohol for her followers when their little group suffered two casualties.  One was some random asthmatic she'd helped out and brought to base, but whom promptly ran back to the edge of the swamp where he'd first been recruited and refused to spend time in the actual camp.  During the night he was swarmed by the hordes of the undead that frequently crawl out of the bog and Zala came across his body in the early morning.  Want not waste not, she put his stubborn carcass to use as protein (Cannibal trait with the cook book "To Serve Man").  No sooner had she prepared the dish (not discussing exactly where she got the meat with anyone else) when she heard a commotion at the front door and discovered to her horror that her oldest friend, the oddly named female scientist Peter Valle, had died to a single zombie.

The Zed was swiftly dispatched and Zala set about with further preparations.  A ring of ditches are now being prepared around the home, with the intent to double up on their width and build a combination of walls and spike-filled pits as a means to keep the beasts at bay.  First, though, she made a proper resting place for the body of her friend and a sealed coffin now sits in a place of honor in the now much more lonely home.  Peter had been far too loyal to be turned into a meal.  Such a fate is reserved for the disloyal and cowardly, instead.

She's left with Carmello Ladd, the talker and "purser" for the group, and Alphai, some random punk that attempted to once hold Zala at knife-point and whom was quickly intimidated into compliance.

racurtne

« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2017, 08:42:25 PM »
Yea cauterizing is fine until it gets infected. I haven't found antibiotics at all lately. In any of my runs actuallt. So first aid kits have been my only cure for when cauterization fails.
Alea iacta est

Pale Horse

« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2017, 09:30:06 PM »
I've slain zombie hulks, shockers, mi-gos, spitters, dinosaurs, robots and a host of other things the Cataclysm has thrown my way.

Through thick and thin, my group of 4 has stood by my side.

Now they are all dead.  Two have gone into the pot, two have been given a final rest in satin-lined coffins and sent off into the afterlife with a droning dirge played on Zala's bagpipes.

She is alone, now.

FFS, though, every single one of my followers died to a damned fat zombie.  They killed shockers and dinosaurs with their bare hands and even after I gave them all weapons, a single fat zombie was enough to kill them all.