Author Topic: [Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead] Tales of the Apocalypse  (Read 1170 times)

Pale Horse

Re: [Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead] Tales of the Apocalypse
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
Okay..my current mutant, Alice, is officially a badass.

She took down a T-Rex, unharmed, with her fists!

Martial Arts styles with counter attacks are awesome.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Pale Horse

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2017, 08:16:29 PM »
Alice has spent about a week roaming the desolate roads in her converted R/V.  The lessons in computing and mechanics she was taught in the lab have allowed her to thrive where others have failed (she knows because she's seen the bodies).  She's skirted the edges of a truly huge and forbidding ruined city, driven across a number of bridges and a small town before she stumbled upon a small place called "Codyville Plantation," or so says one of the maps she's managed to find.

The place is as infested with Zed as any she's seen, but the map indicates a hospital, an evac shelter right next to a mega-mall, a river separating the two from the town on the east and an office tower to the south, as she's coming up in her rig.  If she can keep the Walkers out, this could be a nice place to settle in to.

Alice drove her R/V around the western side of town and immediately spotted two things: the indented ground and blackened wreckage indicating missile strikes, and the sickly-green glow of massively irradiated towns-folk.  She put the brakes on and made her stand.  She knew this place..

Sure enough, once she was able to eliminate enough of the walking dead above, she lifted a sewer grate and confirmed her suspicion:  There were walkways and gated entrances all through the underground.

She'd heard of such places through scraps of conversation overheard between scientists and technicians back in her birthing lab.

This was a Vault.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2017, 08:59:39 PM »
Sweeet. I didn't know Fallout style vaults were in the game  ;D

I need to check the underground more.

Pale Horse

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2017, 09:57:38 PM »
Sweeet. I didn't know Fallout style vaults were in the game  ;D

I need to check the underground more.

They only have a chance of popping up underneath certain towns, and then not always.

You'll know which towns those are; they all have roughly the same building types, always have craters and have irradiated wanderers.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2017, 12:50:55 AM »
Winter, night 5

Going to do something I haven't done in a while: a town run.  I am, of course, very interested in food.  Also looking for things to help raid the lab.  Armor, weapons, tools.  If I can find tools to fix the solar car that might also let me travel further and find fresh game or other opportunities for survival.

Visit grocery store first.  Hear explosions again in the town.  Whatever battle or calamity was happening is somehow still going on.  Grocery store filled with nothing but inedible vegetable garbage.

Despite the noises, head deeper into town.  Hit up a restaurant.  More vegetarian crap.  Also hear zombies in the back, so don't stick around long.

Deeper into town.  Hear a sign that says... minefield?  In the middle of town?  Explains the explosions, though.

Hope into sporting goods store.  Find some stuff.  Suddenly see smoke outside.  Shit.  Try to make a quick exit but there's a Z.  And then a boomer explodes.  And then smoke billows.  Kill the regular zombie, then sprint away, cart in tow.  Make a clean escape somehow. 

Find a butcher shop!  My kind of store!  Some of the meat is still good.  Take a break to warm up some and munch on a big bag of bologna.  Hear some noises in the back.  Hungry enough to risk some Z fighting.  Open the door and immediately BOOM!  Face full of toxic exploding zombie.  Run away in a panic, right into a group of more Z's!

Let my cart go and make a mad dash for my life.  Take hits.  There's a runner that I can't shake so I stop briefly to clobber it's face in.  Keep running with a tough zombie right on my tail.  Get bogged down, they're all over me!  The monsters pile on.

Feel a surge of adrenaline and break free!  Scramble away towards a nearby car.  Turn the corner and I see... another pack of five Z's.  The two groups converge on me.

Is this the end?  I've survived so much; the initial attacks, moose, monsters, my own genes turning against me.  Is this how I die?  Over my lust for another pack of bologna???

Yes, it is.

RIP.   :'(

Marauder Moe

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2017, 12:56:55 AM »
What I was dealing with at the end:

Kills:

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2017, 05:16:26 AM »
RIP poor Moe mutant.  :'( Your stats were waaaay down from hunger - hard to escape like that.

(now make a world with NPCs!)

As an aside, I saw the coolest thing on a Let's Play I'm watching: buggy jousting! The LP'er built a buggy with 3 seats from scratch, completely open, no roof or doors. And one of the two NPCs who's riding along with him carries a long awlpike. If he drives past zombies on the road, his NPC will literally drive-by-impale them for massive damage.  8)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:27:44 AM by Akaramu »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2017, 10:47:53 AM »
Well at that point my stats were way down from being beaten to death by zombies.  I was at like -3 from hunger which still left me at 13 strength.

I've been trying some Really Bad Day builds.  I had one where I actually got the infection cleared and kited a moose into killing about 20 zombies.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »
Heh, the "Out Of Time" scenario (Churl profession) could be a displaced Zalanthan.  Wouldn't be too hard to mod in a profession for like a Bynner who fell into a magick portal.  The game has both chitin and bone armor.  Glass daggers.  I think I saw a recipe for a macuahuitl in there too.

The only problem is that illiteracy is a really harsh penalty in this game.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2017, 02:18:32 PM »
You could always replace Bynner with 'Tor noble' - there you go, a combat ready displaced Zalanthan who can read.  ;D

Pale Horse

« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2017, 04:24:38 PM »
Vaults, Alice decided, may not be worth the trouble.

After confirming that the small town she found as situated above a vault, she spent the next week preparing for the descent.  She read most of the books she had scrounged up, improving her understanding of electronics and first aid.  She then spread a few scavenged sheets over her R/V's bed and sleeping bag, pulled a box full of the 40+ CBMs she'd cut and cleaned out of dead zombies and plundered from science labs, wrapped a rubber tube around her forearm and injected herself with two syringes full of morphine.  After a half hour and feeling veeeeery numb and pleasant and with memories of laying in a similar position with someone else standing above, she took a deep breath and picked up a scalpel..

She must have been more clear headed than she had originally thought because the numerous self-surgeries she performed, aided as they were by the ready-installation capabilities in each CBM, went off without a single complication.  It was a good thing she was never fully human to begin with because she would have been feeling far less so after cutting open her own body and installing bionic and cybernetic hardware.  She now had hands and fingers filled with a plethora of tools, a flamethrower built into each index finger, and an third stomach and synthetic intestines that really helped out with her increased need for nutrients, among many other things.  There were a few left over that she was not comfortable in putting into her body quite yet..especially the ones dealing with her eyes and one that made some sort of promise of boosting her ability to think..but she had to let it dig through her skull and into her brain.  Yeah..like that was going to be pleasant.

Once healed up and stripped down to the essentials (chain mail armor, a couple packs, lots of grenades, medical equipment and a punch dagger), Alice snuck back through the down during the night and made her way back to the entrance to the Vault through the sewers, taking down glowing wanderers as she came upon them.  The elevators were out but fortunately stairwells don't run on power.  Inside, the Vault was an endless series of chambers and massive, metal halls.

And every one was filled with the irradiated inhabitants.  She got barely a squeak of fear out of her after rounding a corner and coming face to face with a glowing wall of Zed before they charged.  She ran back down the hallway she came from, Vault-zeds in hot pursuit, and ducked into the only bottleneck she could see: a bathroom.  One with only a single entrance/exit.  There was a pair of lockers flanking the door which made it so that only a single enemy could get through to her at a time, so she put set herself and prepared to go down fighting.

220+ Wanderers later (I shit you not: I'd only killed 20 of the things before coming down into the Vault and my kill count now says I've gotten 248 of the suckers), 7 grenades tossed, 5 codeine tablets chewed in haste, 3 water bottles quickly guzzled, a can of clam chowder she managed to wolf down when she had a four second reprieve and jittery from the amounts of magical military healing-juice she shot herself full of (found a full RX12 injector in a crate in a field!), Alice now pokes her head out of the bathroom and wonders if this was really worth it, after all.

Rounding another corner on her way forward, there's another hall with even more Wanderers.

No, she finally decides.  This was certainly NOT worth it.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »
Okay, now I feel bad talking about my horde-killing exploits. Compared to 200+ irradiated wanderers, this is nothing...

But still, there could be power armor down there!

Anyway. Spring, day 19: the Trio tried fighting its way through a horde to support a guy called Stanford Polk, who they had talked to before. He asked someone to take care of his mother, and the Trio did manage to help him out. But they didn't find him again afterward - until today, when he was spotted near a Gun shop, wading through zombies on his way to his mother's old house. Armed with only a handgun, and without armor.

Stanford's gun had attracted about 15-20 zombies at that point. The Trio charged in with the intention to help, and managed to ask Stanford if he wanted to join up with them. He did not. The loss of his mother must have caused something to snap inside him. Why else would he refuse to join up with other survivors, and stubbornly press on in the direction of his former home?

Needless to say, Stanford died before the Trio's eyes, leaving them to deal with the hordes his gunshots had attracted.

The Trio came through in the end, but Brandon blames himself for Stanford's refusal to join up. If he looked human, or if he was better at talking... maybe Stanford would still be alive.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:45:57 PM by Akaramu »

Pale Horse

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »
Don't feel bad.  Irradiated Wanderers may as well be made of paper and their attacks on me don't deal enough damage to get through the chainmail Alice is wearing, save for the occasional crit or heavy hit.  Alice also has Dragon Style kung-fu, a 5 in Unarmed Combat, a 3 in Dodge and with the StatsthroughSkills addition and her extremely fortunate mutations, her stats are through the roof.

I also already have a suite of Power Armor Mk I, but the stuff has a lot of draw backs.  No helmet, needs power to properly function (with a helmet), needs to have skin contact with the wearer so no other clothing can be worn and you can't wear any packs over the it except for a power armor hauling frame, which is as difficult to find as the armor it's self.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I may just have Alice run back to the surface, dump everything she's got and climb into the suite.  Surviving clearing out the Vault is more important than running in and scavenging as I go.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:04:13 PM by Pale Horse »

Pale Horse

« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2017, 05:38:31 PM »
Akaramu, your words must have brought me luck.

Alice ran back up to the surface, dumped all her stuff and shimmied into her power armor.  She strode back into the Vault..and almost immediately found a power armor helmet she somehow walked right past the first time she came inside.

Damned good thing she did, too.  She ran out of stamina trying to get away from yet another horde of Wanderers and got swarmed under a pile of them.  Dragon style kung-fu allows for counter attacks even while exhausted so my screen kept flashing with combat messages despite the game locking up from all the attack, counter-attack, attack, etc.  Two IG hours later, she finally had put down the last wanderer (through auto-counters), and I got control back.

She was completely unharmed and her power armor unscratched.  Her kill count of Wanderers has gone up from 248 to 496.  And that's after avoiding an area where she saw yet another horde of Zed assaulting a chicken walker that had spent it's entire ordinance against the tide of green horrors.  Since they couldn't hurt the thing with physical attacks, and the robot never tired, they seemed doomed to be locked in epic battle until Judgment Day and trumpets sound.

There's also shell casings, blood spatter and robot parts everywhere in some sections of this place.  Getting the power armor was a God-send, as I think I'm going to turn a corner and run into a friggin' automatic tank any moment now.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »
Lesson of the day: don't build campfire against the wall of emergency shelter.  Shelter is highly flammable.

Pale Horse

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »
Survivors!

After 2,404 slain Irradiated Wanderers and several holes blown into immobile metal doorways, Alice worked her way through the control center of the Vault and stumbled upon five men and women in the last room.  A quick glance shows that they're the last of the Vault's security personnel.  Alice can't tell if they're grateful that someone has come upon them or shaken that someone has come through the hordes of undead, apparently unscathed.  For once, she's glad her armor and helmet completely obscures her inhuman appearance.

All of the soldiers are tight lipped and don't care for chatter.  A few let her know that she'd be safer if they stuck it out with them in the room but none volunteer any information about the Vault, themselves or what might be useful.

Seeing as how they aren't the friendly sorts, Alice just bids them a good day and leaves.  She's still on the hunt for straggling Zeds before she can say she's secured the Vault.  There's a few places where dirt peeks through the metal flooring, there's lights everywhere and she's eager to see if perhaps she can get something to grow down here...

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2017, 08:05:33 PM »
Do manholes / other entrances to the underground (that aren't basement stairs) show on the map? Because... I'm walking through this settlement without manholes anywhere, and stuff keeps getting smacked and blown up underground. Some explosions are so huge they're deafening.  But... I don't see how to get down there! (Not sure I want to, but would be nice to have the option for a later time...)

Pale Horse

« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »
Do manholes / other entrances to the underground (that aren't basement stairs) show on the map? Because... I'm walking through this settlement without manholes anywhere, and stuff keeps getting smacked and blown up underground. Some explosions are so huge they're deafening.  But... I don't see how to get down there! (Not sure I want to, but would be nice to have the option for a later time...)

Some do, some don't.

On the overhead map, if you see a yellow crossroads in a town, that's an indication of a manhole/sewer entrance.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2017, 10:22:27 PM »
Ugh.  Game hard.  Can't seem to catch a break.  Though I have had some pretty fun naked rampages doing Really Bad Day.

Hauwke

« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2017, 12:26:13 AM »
I havent been able to play in quite some time, but I have an idea for a camp I will be doing once I can play again.

Essentially, I am going to build a huge fuck-off base, Rimworld style, with a killbox and everything. Get some crops sorted and a power source, the whole nine yards for survival in the long term.

Last time I played, I found it rather 'easy' to create a small base out of a cave I sectioned off with log walls, so my thinking is that a good, solid base of operations will make long-term survival easier.

On the other hand, getting the parts together for it all will be the difficult bit all things considered.

Harmless

« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2017, 12:35:49 AM »
I am enjoying this game, and wouldn't have given it a second try if it weren't for some of the cool posts here. Gotta say, this game is brutal. Somehow my current playthrough is lasting. I'm at day 7 or so; this is the first time I survived more than one night without awful frostbite and other debilitating problems. Currently I can reliably get food and clean water, which I need to boil into herbal tea to help with my nutrition as currently I need to recover from a broken right arm. It took forever to get the materials to make the splint due to strange difficulty even finding withered plants for the first 500 or so bushes I searched. Eventually I got it and now I just need to be very cautious in these woods between two towns so as not to get attacked by something I can't fend off with a broken arm. For whatever reason the playthrough that survived is a medieval peasant. I am not too pleased that it forces illiteracy but it's a good playthrough to learn the survival basics.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:39:17 AM by Harmless »
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Pale Horse

« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2017, 10:48:43 AM »
I am enjoying this game, and wouldn't have given it a second try if it weren't for some of the cool posts here. Gotta say, this game is brutal. Somehow my current playthrough is lasting. I'm at day 7 or so; this is the first time I survived more than one night without awful frostbite and other debilitating problems. Currently I can reliably get food and clean water, which I need to boil into herbal tea to help with my nutrition as currently I need to recover from a broken right arm. It took forever to get the materials to make the splint due to strange difficulty even finding withered plants for the first 500 or so bushes I searched. Eventually I got it and now I just need to be very cautious in these woods between two towns so as not to get attacked by something I can't fend off with a broken arm. For whatever reason the playthrough that survived is a medieval peasant. I am not too pleased that it forces illiteracy but it's a good playthrough to learn the survival basics.

Glad to see you were inspired to play.  Cataclysm DDA is one of those games that never leaves my hard drive.

As for splints and materials, getting together 500 withered plants sounds brutal.  If you break apart windows that have curtains attached to them by using "s," they often times leave behind part of the materials that made them up, like sheets and long strings.  You need far, far less long strings to create a splint than you do withered plants.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2017, 11:09:22 AM »
As for splints and materials, getting together 500 withered plants sounds brutal.  If you break apart windows that have curtains attached to them by using "s," they often times leave behind part of the materials that made them up, like sheets and long strings.  You need far, far less long strings to create a splint than you do withered plants.

This. I don't craft with withered plants at all, it's so much easier to get long strings from broken windows that had curtains. And getting rags from those curtain sheets (by butchering them with B) is even easier.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2017, 11:10:56 AM »
Btw the Youtuber I'm watching found the One Ring.  :o

It makes him invisible... sort of. I won't spoil the fun(tm) side effects.

KittenLicks

« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2017, 11:28:29 AM »
A thing I found out recently, while trying out living in the wilderness, is that you sometimes get withered plants if you smash bushes. It does destroy the bush, though. I'm not sure what the odds are, but they're definitely way easier than running around foraging for them. :)
Quote from: Armageddon
You can't wear the spider.