Author Topic: [Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead] Tales of the Apocalypse  (Read 1165 times)

Marauder Moe

Re: [Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead] Tales of the Apocalypse
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2017, 09:10:18 AM »
1) You will die.
2) Seriously, you will die.
3) Playe latest experimental version.  0.C is missing some key features.
4) Have a strength of 11-12.  Put a point into melee and a point into dodging.  Take the night vision trait.
5) Play like you're a real person in the apocalypse, not a movie star.  Zombies are scary and dangerous.  Avoid fighting one when possible.  When confronted by groups, run ( " key).
6) No joke.  You will die.
7) Looting towns at night is way safer than during the day.  Zombies have pretty good vision.
8) Boil all your water.
9) If starting in the survivor shelter, go outside and find a rock.  Bring it back, smash all the lockers.  Make a crowbar.  Tear down the curtains, (D)disassemble, make rag clothing (if you don't start with enough).  Smash everything and craft as much as you can.
10) And lastly... you will die.  A lot.  Like most of your guys won't survive the first loot run.

racurtne

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
Keep torso encumbrance down. This is seriously a huge issue for new characters.

Press @ to check encumbrance. Each 10 units of torso  encumbrance on the experimental version roughly cancels out a level of melee  and dodge skill. Items you wear are layered. CombinING multiple types of clothing that cover the same layer will skyrocket encumbrance. Have one that fits close to skin. Have one that is the normal layer, one outer layer and possibly one strapped.

Never engage in melee with a backpack or any volume enhancing strapped item on your torso until your combat skills in meLee improve. JuSt drop them if you are going to stand and fight.

Clothes that fit are less encumbering. Practice that tailoring. It's red storm all day in cataclysm dda. Heh.

Press + I believe it is to adjust what clothes are on the outside layer, these take damage first, so make sure your leather jacket is on the outside soaking damage instead of your precious backpack that doesn't really reduce damage.

Alea iacta est

racurtne

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2017, 09:42:29 AM »
I started a new game with wander spawns on and turned down spawn rate a bit to compensate. Started as an av club member with no melee skills but 3 dodge. First house I looted had a go bag with army clothes and helmet in it. I'm so lucky. The jacket doesn't fit though so I am using a leather jacket instead that fits.

I generally do a 2 part loot run. As I approach my destination I drop my shopping cart, duffel bag, or backpack in a semi secure location and go in as unencumbered as possible. I then melee kill zombies to secure the area enough for proper looting and grab the loot I can't live without, limited of course because I don't have my pack. Then I grab my pack or cart and come back for the serious looting. This can all be done in one day. You can clear and loot two houses easily if you are conservative enough to only take out the zombies that need to die to get the looting done.

If a place is too dangerous, just avoid it. You only want to take on a zombie or two at a time. Also try to lead zombies onto obstacles like shrubs, tables, chairs, or windows that cause slow down. As they are clambering over this obstacle, you can often get a free shot in.

As you are looting, close curtains on windows to keep out prying zed eyes. You'll know they're coming through by the sound of glass breaking. You seeing them before they get there is not very important, you should have secured your exit before you entered the house, so be prepared to go out the way you came in.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:49:03 AM by racurtne »
Alea iacta est

KittenLicks

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2017, 10:06:20 AM »
So, inspired by all the cataclysm fun in here, I decided to do a challenge run. I randomized all the world settings, using the tried-and-true method of telling my girlfriend the name of the setting and asking for a value.

If you don't think that's technically random, then I'd like to see you intuit what "Spawn rate scaling factor" is supposed to mean without playing the game. :p

Notable features of this world:

400% monster speed
963% monster resilience
600 times the normal random NPC spawns.

This hell hole was dubbed "Buttsville", because my girlfriend has the maturity of a thirteen year old. :3

So, my randomized character, a psychopathic albino hoarder cyclist, named Robin, steps out of their shelter into this bold new world, and is promptly confronted by six NPC's, all clamoring for her attention. One of them clamoured a little louder than the others, by means of holding a shotgun.

They then took all her stuff, and shot her in the face anyway.

Welcome to Cataclysm! ^_^
Quote from: Armageddon
You can't wear the spider.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »
They then took all her stuff, and shot her in the face anyway.

Welcome to Cataclysm! ^_^

It's kind of like Armageddon MUD, isn't it  ;D

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »
Has anyone figured how to attach gun mods to guns? Activating them doesn't do anything... help!

Pale Horse

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
Has anyone figured how to attach gun mods to guns? Activating them doesn't do anything... help!

You activate the mod and select the gun you want to modify.

The gun has to be capable of both receiving mods and the type of mod you want to attach.

My current character, Zeta, has a crossbow with an attached shoulder strap, adjustable stock and a sword bayonet, still leaving room for 4 mechanism, 1 sight, 1 rail and one grip mod.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »
If activating the mod does nothing, what does this mean? The mod and gun show green in my inventory, and from experience this appears to mean they're fit for each other (matching ammo also shows green). Is my handguns skill too low? It's at 1.

In case it matters, the mod in question is a magazine.

racurtne

« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »
My character has fast metabolism. Man, does having to eat so much suck in the early game.
Alea iacta est

Pale Horse

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »
If activating the mod does nothing, what does this mean? The mod and gun show green in my inventory, and from experience this appears to mean they're fit for each other (matching ammo also shows green). Is my handguns skill too low? It's at 1.

In case it matters, the mod in question is a magazine.

Oh.

Magazines aren't mods.  They're the update to the ammo system.  They make it so you can load/unload quicker than manually plugging in bullets.

Fill the magazine.  Load it into your gun.  Also makes the ammo pouches you can find useful items.  You can put loaded magazines into them for quick access/storage.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2017, 01:47:01 PM »
I soooo have no clue about guns.  :P

anyway, Roy got better (yay) and since Brandon knows how awesome full body plating is, he made a pair of metal arm guards for Roy. Hopefully the poor guy won't go and get both of his arms broken again.

We also made a new friend: Anthony, who happened to be passing by our office tower. He was in dire need of a certain medical item and Brandon just so happened to have some on him, so he gave it to the guy. When asked what he wanted as payment, the cyborg's response was 'nothing'. Anthony is now a huge fan and, unlike Roy, an ACTUAL friend. He's also pretty damn good with shotguns. So we gave him one, plus a bunch of ammo.

Our nightly excursions into the unknown are now more, um, exciting and more... noisy.

Here's another piece of newbie advice: Turn both static and random NPCs on and make friends, maybe take 'pretty' as a trait or some speaking skill for better chances at recruiting people. NPC buddies make the early game way, way more manageable.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:49:48 PM by Akaramu »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
Autumn, day 9

Wake up.  Still feel rough.  Not out of food yet.  Try to push through the rads and get something done.

Board up broken window in bedroom.  Move sewing supplies and leather into the workshop.  Organized the workshop a little better.  Generally cleaned up my entire house.

Try to read some.  Puke.  Read some more.  Get tired, go to sleep.  Wake up.  Have a tail again.  Feel like I am starving.  Low on food, decide to go hunt while there is still yet strength in me.

Weather is terrible.  Caught in thunderstorm.  Still manage to get a dog, a coyote, and some rabbits.  Cook stuff.  Read some.  Sleep.

Wake up.  Still hungry as ever, but feeling rested.  Decide to go out and get some more hickory root.  Maybe find eggs or something to hunt too.

See giant rattlesnake.  Decide not to mess with it.  Find a whole pack of coyotes.  Kill and butcher all of them.  Go home and cook/tan results.  Sleep.

Feel like it's been easier to keep food down.  Still feel very weak from hunger, though.  Do some crafting, mostly make a mess of things.  Damned paws.  Sleep.

Tail gone again in the morning.  Don't seem to have puked in a long while.  Optimistically start eating more heavily. 

See snow outside.  Very pretty.  Also very cold, despite my furry self.  Bundle up plenty.  Read about an anti-parasitic drug.  Wonder if maybe a parasite has been adding to my eating problems.  Go look for plant needed for the recipe, but it's not in season.  Will have to wait for spring I guess.  Meanwhile, I've developed some sort of tic where I randomly shout out.  Good thing I don't live near the town.

Go chopping firewood instead.  Gets dark/cold after I get a bunch inside.  About to go to bed when hear noise against the wall.  Grab Lucille, go investigate.  It's a deer stuck between house and barb wire fence of the farm.  Kill and butcher it.  Really enjoy the convenient delivery service.  Cook as much as I can be get really tired.  Leave the rest outside in the cart hoping the cold will preserve it while I sleep.

Wake up.  Cook and eat the rest of the deer.  Pretty sure I've gotten over the radiation, but have a cold now instead.  It sucks, but it's something I know how to treat at least.  Almost out of food again, though.  hopefully I can get over this cold before I have to go out.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2017, 08:11:40 PM »
Spring, day 14: the Trio embarks on a quest to find food, this time back to the sprawling streets of Athens.

After a walk of one hour, we spot a shocker brute.  :o You've probably seen the shocker zombies by now? The brutes are the bigger, badder version. Yes, they have lightning. Lots of it. They glow, so they're pretty easy to see in the dark, and fortunately this one appears to be chasing after something other than us. We pass it by, it continues north. Then, suddenly, it turns around and comes in our direction. Holy cow THIS THING IS FAST. Brandon, who always struggles with his enormous weight and low stamina, can't keep running. The Trio makes a stand.

The brute's very first attack sends Brandon flying 5 tiles away, but his two companions hold their ground. Roy strikes the beast several times and is shocked with each hit. Anthony gets a couple shotgun shots off, but one misses. He's pretty good with shotguns, but must be pissing his pants at the sight of that thing.

Mid fight, a spitter and shady zombie join into the fray. Oh god. Brandon dispatches the shadowy zombie and rushes back in to help his friends. Somehow, the combination of shotgun shots and unarmed strikes takes all the zombies down, but every member of the Trio is hurt badly. If Brandon hadn't made new armor for Roy two days before, the guy would probably be toast. So they decide to limp back home to lick their wounds, unfortunately without anything to show for it. They barely managed to reach the courtyard of the first building they'd intended to loot.  :-\

Aftertought: Roy is quite a badass for someone who started with a lab coat...

Update: they got some loot after all. On the way back, they stumbled over some dead soldiers with a nice shotgun and some basic, but still useful army gear.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:19:45 PM by Akaramu »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »
Winter, day 3.

Still have a cold, but starting to pull back from the brink of starvation.  Out of food, though.  Need to get over the cold before I go hunting out in the snow again.

Go over to workshop.  Poke around piles of junk.  Think I can build a crude suit of armor out of scrap, though maybe if my hands weren't so clumsy.  Poke around the RV.  Getting a better feel for mechanics, see a lot of repairs and upgrades that could be done if only I had a welder.  Take some cough medicine and go to sleep.

Wake up, feel better, though starving again.  Time to go hunting for sure.

Go out, kill a dog.  Find a rotten wolf corpse, butcher it anyway.  Come across a dog fighting a spider.  Kill spider, but then out of nowhere a mi-go attacks!  Bash it pretty hard and it seems to run off, but still harassing me.  It's a rough battle and I take a serious blow to the head.  Adrenaline surges and I smash the mi-go as hard as I can.  It decides, finally, to leave me alone.  Head back home with what little food I got, in severe pain.

Sleep.  Wake up.  Eat all the food.  Even the rotten stuff.  Metabolism is even higher than before.  Seem to have grown larger too.  The hunger feels eternal.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2017, 02:24:45 PM »
You're having ALL the bad luck with your random mutations  :'(

If you ever manage to lose carnivore, try not to eat meat unless you have to. I'm preeeetty sure the mutations are influenced by your diet. Did you eat mostly meat before becoming carnivorous?

Pale Horse

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
Mutation direction is also determined by "thresholds."

When you take mutagens (or have them pop up from other mutagenic effects) you have a chance to pick up a random mutation.  However, after you've collected a number of mutations in a specific path you cross a "threshold" and are far more likely to develop mutations specific to a singular path.

Example: You randomly mutate a snout, web walkers, leaves, bark, night vision and lightweight.  Each of those carry a certain weight towards one of the mutation paths and when you collect enough points, you pass the appropriate threshold which for this example we'll say was the generic "beast" path as snout, web walker and nightvision are all associated with some sort of animal, giving 3 points, while leaves and bark count for 2 points into plant and lightweight is not associated with anything (for this example).  From here on forward, you still have a chance of picking up mutations out of your "path" but you have a far higher chance of picking up ones that follow it.

This could explain why you keep getting stuck with carnivore, since you seem to be going down the Ursine path.

Edit: Pay attention to your dreams.  They often indicate what path you are on or into what you are most likely to turn.  If you're dreaming of webs, for example, you are either on or most likely to develop mutations from the spider path.  If you dream of hunting, there's a number of beast and other carnivore and animalistic paths you could be following.  If you get a mixture of dream messages, you haven't settled into a single path but you more likely to develop mutations from the ones about which you are dreaming.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:48:05 PM by Pale Horse »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »
No, in my early game I was eating mostly vegetables, since I had a field full of them.   :(

I dream of killing prey with my teeth, and sometimes running with a pack.  I guess I'm mostly beast/lupine.

I have no idea how I'm going to get out of this starvation hole at this point, though.  Extreme Metabolism means I need 3x as much food.

The only hope for this character is producing a large supply of genetic purifier.

Pale Horse

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »
No, in my early game I was eating mostly vegetables, since I had a field full of them.   :(

I dream of killing prey with my teeth, and sometimes running with a pack.  I guess I'm mostly beast/lupine.

I have no idea how I'm going to get out of this starvation hole at this point, though.  Extreme Metabolism means I need 3x as much food.

The only hope for this character is producing a large supply of genetic purifier.

If you can find a chemistry textbook, I think there's a recipe for purifier in it.  It requires a high cooking skill and, of course, the ingredients to make.

If it's not in that book, there's a number of lab books which do carry it.  You might get lucky and find some scientists' corpses laying around and one may have a book on them as a random spawn.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2017, 03:32:20 PM »
If it's not in that book, there's a number of lab books which do carry it.  You might get lucky and find some scientists' corpses laying around and one may have a book on them as a random spawn.

The recipe requires like 8 or 9 cooking skill, though... and a chemistry set, which Moe's character might not have.

The Trio has had too many near death experiences for my liking so far. Playing with hordes enabled really is much more difficult! But also more thrilling... this is NOT the kind of game I play to relax. Without his companions, my character would already be dead. The shocker brute and spitter combination would have done him in for sure... and just last night we had a run-in with a small horde (about 7-8 zombies) including one of those **** smokers. Brandon nearly coughed his lungs out and got out of there with 1 bar of torso health left. OUCH. His buddies couldn't see a thing in the smoke, so they couldn't help.

I started this game because playing my mutant was beginning to feel a bit too easy. I sure got the excitement I wanted! I'll hop back to my mutant for a bit if I ever want to relax...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:36:55 PM by Akaramu »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2017, 03:48:15 PM »
Man I wish playing my mutant was too easy.  I've acquired so much stuff, skills and tech but I'm shackled by this constant hunger.  I even have a chemistry set!  Also cooking 6.

The choice before me is:
1) Keep on hunting like I have been and hope I can slowly gain ground on my hunger.
2) Make a desperate raid on the lab while there's still life in me in the hopes of finding purifier.
3) See if I can repair the solar car and range out in source of other food supplies.  (A butcher shop?  A river for fishing?)

Pale Horse

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2017, 04:02:43 PM »
My current mutant (not Zeta, she's taking a rest), has been fortunate with how her mutations have taken her.  She's got:

Accomplished Sleeper - Sleep anywhere, on anything.
Bad Back - 35% less carry weight.
Bark - minor armor, fire resistance and good wet penalty protection.
Chemical Imbalance - random minor status effects pop up..randomly.
Extremely Perceptive - +4 to the stat
Extremely Strong - +4 to the stat
Fast Metabolism - Requires more food and slightly better stamina regen.
Fast Reader - read faster..like it says.
Fey Eyes - green eyes that constantly shift in shade.
Fey Nightsight - almost perfect night vision.
Genetic Chaos - random mutations show up fairly regularly.
Heavy Sleeper - noise isn't likely to wake me up
High Thirst - requires more water than most.
Leaves - I no longer have hair.  It's now thin, grass-like leaf blades.  Minor wet penalty reduction and I can photosynthesize minor nutrition in sunlight.
Less Sleep - require less sleep than normal.
Light Step - sneaky, sneaky.
Lightweight - can't hold a drink to save my life.
Masochist - hit me, baby, one more time!
Parkour Expert - obstacles?  what obstacles?
Robust Genetics - better chance of getting a beneficial mutation when mutating.
Smart - +1 to the stat
Weakening - constantly taking minor amounts of pain and damage while awake; slower healing while sleeping.

Once again, another mutant is turning into an Elf/Dryad.

Edit: Correction.  After posting this, her Fast Metabolism turned into a VERY Fast Metabolism.  Thankfully, she's not restricted in her diet (sorry, Moe).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:08:27 PM by Pale Horse »

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
If you get to the point of making a new character, maybe pick 'light eater' and 'hates meat' at the start. I'm 90% sure your starting traits never go away (or if they do they come back to you pretty quickly), though they might become stronger and mutate more. You might get 'herbivore' if you hate meat, but it's much more manageable than carnivore.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2017, 04:47:35 PM »
Or I just won't play a mutant anymore, heh.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2017, 04:53:26 PM »
They're so fun, though! You just got super unlucky :( Or you could play a 'normal mutant' who isn't genetically unstable and doesn't get random new mutations - only if you eat things with mutagenic properties.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2017, 05:20:39 PM »
If I start another save I probably won't come back.  I still want to try and save this character.  I think it can be done!  Frustrating, though, as playing is.