Author Topic: [Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead] Tales of the Apocalypse  (Read 13865 times)

Synthesis

Re: [Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead] Tales of the Apocalypse
« Reply #350 on: December 18, 2017, 04:54:42 AM »
Is there a way to get your friendly NPCs to put a suppressor (or other gun mods) on their weapon?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Akaramu

« Reply #351 on: December 18, 2017, 07:26:06 AM »
Is there a way to get your friendly NPCs to put a suppressor (or other gun mods) on their weapon?

I never tried this, but I think you can ask them to trade their weapon to you, put the mods on it, and then ask them to use that weapon. Not sure if suppressors on NPC weapons actually work but it's worth a try.

Synthesis

« Reply #352 on: December 18, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »
Bah.

Went bionic assassin with default point pool.  Played it extremely safe out in the woods through spring, summer, and autumn.  First time I go into the city, I realize I accidentally enabled the "no special zombies" mod.  Even getting fully surrounded by normal zombies is zero challenge with knockbacks, Brawling attack-reversals, electroshock unit, every strike is critical.

Electroshock + monomolecular blade is way too easy in the early game without any OHK zombies around.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #353 on: December 18, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »
Weeks of wandering the countryside, lost.  Sometimes on the roads, sometimes off.  Team Phi drove through a clearing in the woods and came to a motel.  They stopped out of habit.  They were stocked with months of food.  None of the vehicles parked outside looked like they used diesel.  Clearing the undead was as much about a break from boredom than anything else.  Though, the team took down even the brutes without much of a fuss.  Phi used her rifle to pick off a few just for the practice of it.

They weren't even going to bother looting the place when Phi spotted something out of the corner of her eye.  On the front desk, a stack of brochures.  She squinted and stalked into the lobby.  The two men followed, without any questions.  Phi had been irritable lately, blaming her mutations.  She was also scary as hell, with her claws and recent fang growth.

Indeed, the counter had some brochures, and on the back of those brochures was a map!  Finally, some sense of direction!  Furthermore, some previous survivors had been comparing the brochures to their own maps, but left them behind.  The team now had a very good idea of where they were and what was around them.  Of most interest was a nearby town of Bristol.  The roads were long and twisty, and the APC was low on fuel, but there was a gas station and a few other landmarks of potential on the way.

The gang cleared up a few more undead that had wandered out of the woods, likely attracted by the morning's zombie-bashing exercise, and then piled back into the APC.

Off to Bristol!

Marauder Moe

« Reply #354 on: December 19, 2017, 02:49:40 PM »
Found a mansion on the way to the gas station with some juicy vehicles outside.  Have stopped for a few days of looting.  It's funny how loot priorities have changed.  Food?  Meh, will snack a bit if hungry, but not collecting any.  Clothes?  Trash.  Electronics?  APC is overflowing with gadgets and junk.  Salt?  Yes please.  Bleach?  Ammonia?  Woohoo!

Found a mechanics book, finally got up to level 6.  Installed the upgraded solar panels.

Meanwhile, have mutated chemical imbalance and deterioration.  Not pleasant.  Time for another purifier shot, I think.

Pale Horse

« Reply #355 on: December 19, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
My stinger-tailed mutant badass died.  RIP Una.  Being able to tank zombie hordes in your birthday suite doesn't do a thing against walking around a corner into a face-full of tankbot cannon fire.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Hauwke

« Reply #356 on: December 19, 2017, 04:05:07 PM »
Yup, all it takes is for that one thing that is even slightly more powerful to get a really good headshot or something and taoe your super badass down, I found that out with a guy so tough he could withstand c-4 splosions from a few tiles away from the exploding item. Turrets and such are gnarly.

Kind of makes me want to build a metric buttload of them and situate them somewhere nice and safe, then set spawns to the utmost and see how long I can survive.

Akaramu

« Reply #357 on: December 19, 2017, 08:22:55 PM »
Kind of makes me want to build a metric buttload of them and situate them somewhere nice and safe, then set spawns to the utmost and see how long I can survive.

Prediction: you'll run out of ammo.  :P

Marauder Moe

« Reply #358 on: December 21, 2017, 02:26:03 PM »
Ugh.  I was shuffling around tanks on the APC and I spilled my diesel.  All of it.

>:(

racurtne

« Reply #359 on: December 21, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »
I've been playing my character off and on when I've had a chance.

I made a ramming plate for the rv that protects the front, and have been fixing it up and looting as much as possible, venturing farther and farther out  ( or into the city)and filling shopping baskets along the way.

Turns out there is a serious fungal problem on the west side, and I've burned down a building or two to destroy some fungal beds starting inside. My pneumatic assault rifle has been amazing. I have a vehicle forge rig and periodically make marbles as needed. Or I can just do pebbles, and do that at times from burnt down buildings. Bearings from pinball machines I keep around for the heavier enemies.

I am playing with 28 day seasons and am near mid winter of year one. I recently set out to make a bunch of survival armor and it was totally worth it.   My character carries a Katana in a scabbard on one hip, a colt 1911 on the other. Got a .40 glock on one ankle and a butchers knife on the other. I carry around whatever long arm I'm using  (mostly the pneumatic rifle but occasionally my double barrel survivor flintlock or my Ithaca shotgun ) in a back holster.

Because I've been relatively methodical about only fighting a few enemies at a time, my area is pretty secure. One time a flying migo broke my left arm though and nearly killed me before I finally got smart and pulled out the colt.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:54:42 PM by racurtne »
Alea iacta est

Akaramu

« Reply #360 on: March 07, 2018, 08:42:10 PM »
Started playing again a bit. I used to have this great story planned - of how my bionic super soldier casually set Triffid Queens on fire while passing by, marched heroically into the sunset with her invisibility cloak and met a kid with a rifle (Scott, nicknamed Stottner for his stuttering) whose rifle skill was so unreal that soldier lady never quite believed he was real. The kid must have been one of her hallucinations. I mean, he was like 14 years old and a better shot than she was, and she was AMAZING. Some scenes happened where Aleen almost started to suspect the kid was real after all, but something happened and she changed her mind.  ;D

Anyway, in the end she stepped on a landmine. RIP despite incredible regeneration bionics (and other incredible bionics most characters will never see, let alone get installed).

Restarted the character and playing very casually, let's see what happens.

MiGoAway

« Reply #361 on: July 22, 2018, 02:46:03 AM »
I was inspired by this thread to start playing a more story driven Cataclysm

So here it is, the tail of Bailey McKellen, for you to read just in case there might be some people still left on this dead thread.

Baily Mckellen was by no means a good man, nor was he bad. just resolute and head strong, stubborn as some would put it, a trait that would drive him to isolation from friends and family in his quest for complete knowledge of the martial arts and would soon land him in hot water when the local apocalypse came knocking on the small town of Machias that McKellen was currently residing in.

He quickly found himself knee deep in the pulped faces of the local rioters that had seen fit not to stay dead after the militia swept through and dispatched them. Most remaining civilians had fled previously, following the military with their tail tucked between their legs. Baily, refused to flee. His journey of complete knowledge was closing to an end as but a few of the more elusive art forms remained unknown to him. And He wasn't leaving until every bookstore and library was picked clean.

He wasn't alone as he quickly found kinship with a young Military Doctor by the name of Atomos who shared a stubborn side with the martial master. But her quest was of a different cut. Atomos had been present when the dead first started rising when one of her recently deceased patients almost took her hand off. The patient hadnt been bitten or infected in any way, simply died of heart failure. so what ever the contaminant was, it was airborne. With a Raido station a town over she set out to find the weather patterns she knew would be inside, only to get trapped by the rising dead in a local bookstore with a strange man with fists like lightning and a gaze as cold as steel.

Atomos knew her strengths and she was not as combat capable as Baily. So a shaky alliance was hastily formed and the duo,having serached the library for any books of interest to Baily, retreated to a local ranch on the outskirts of town to set up a base.

The cold wafted in as Bailey led the way into the recently abondoned farmhouse, The Good Doctor Atomos followed behind, rubbing her hands together for some semblance of warmth, thankful for the boarded up windows and solid walls of there old house for shelter against the biting wind.

"The Barn outside had some shovels in it. I'm going back and dig a pit to start a fire in." she spoke up, he voice still shaky from the cold.
McKellen merely nodded, continuing on with his task of exploring the farmhouse.

Atomos returned a while later to be greeted by Bailey on his knees in front of the open door to their shelter, using the daylight to stitch together a turban and some leg warmers from rags that he salvaged from the torn sheets of an old bed in the back of the house.

"Fires ready" came her voice again, before she turned back and headed towards the barn, confidant her companion would follow.

So the duo sat in silence on opposite sides of a gently crackling fire, the warmth washing away the panic from the earlier fight in the library.  After boiling and eating a can of beans that was hastily scavenged they head back to the farm house to rest