Live Streaming RPT's

Started by Fredd, November 02, 2017, 01:55:08 PM

I was thinking about this the other day. It could be a way to gain more exposure, and players.

On the other hand, There's always the chance of players watching to gain IC sensative information if a player does it.

But what about if a Staff did it? Turned off listening to all the ways in the room, and just show the huge battle of doom, and the drama that surrounds death ect?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

It can be hard to know, live, what information is going to come in that will be IC Sensitive.

The best that could be done is Gladiator Events, per se, but even then someone's panties will get in a bunch if they see the sdesc of someone shouting or hear a name of someone they thought was dead.

With such an iron grip on IC information, there just isn't a way for this to happen without being banned by the staff.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

November 02, 2017, 02:28:13 PM #2 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:55:38 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

November 02, 2017, 02:28:43 PM #3 Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:31:10 PM by sleepyhead
Quote from: Riev on November 02, 2017, 02:19:15 PM
The best that could be done is Gladiator Events, per se, but even then someone's panties will get in a bunch if they see the sdesc of someone shouting or hear a name of someone they thought was dead.

Yeah, when I was very new and naive I tattled because I saw my PC's sdesc shouting something random in an uploaded gladiator log but I feel super petty about it now. You reminded me of my shame :'(

I like this idea.

I'd like it better if instead of sdescs watches saw "Someone" from staff perspective so they can see hear and feel everything.

Just gotta organize shit to coincide with it. That's where active leaders can come into play. Each clan that has something going on lets staff know in advance. Doesn't always have to be the same shit. Once a month maybe?

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I just don't see how it could be done live, or how interesting it'd be.

Logs are good because they can be edited, but unless you're part of the action, you don't know.

I think it'd be fun if someone set up an arena event, and someone blue-screened themselves in and acted as a Sports Caster and called out what was happening on the screen but... I just don't see it. It'd have to end up being a youtube video at best, because 9 people will watch a Twitch video under the "mud" category.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 02, 2017, 02:43:32 PM
I just don't see how it could be done live, or how interesting it'd be.

Logs are good because they can be edited, but unless you're part of the action, you don't know.

I think it'd be fun if someone set up an arena event, and someone blue-screened themselves in and acted as a Sports Caster and called out what was happening on the screen but... I just don't see it. It'd have to end up being a youtube video at best, because 9 people will watch a Twitch video under the "mud" category.

I've seen bigger numbers for things of a similar nature. 
Commentary though. That would be a neat feature too.
And my final point: it's not about being the next pewdiepie. It's about getting 1-3 more players a month, who tell 1-3 more people a month each.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Cool idea.  Do it!  If the RPT was within the last year, you might ask staff if its suitably scrubbed first.

ETA: Oh, you meant livestreaming, like... live... I don't know how you could do this without revealing IC information.  But you could stream it and store it and release it in a year!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

If its a public event that anyone can attend, its not really going to reveal much by way of IC info past what is actually said. And even then, thats not particularly important unless they are planning to murder a guy I guess. In which case, thats their fault for planning a murder in an open location like that.

Quote from: Hauwke on November 02, 2017, 05:45:41 PM
If its a public event that anyone can attend, its not really going to reveal much by way of IC info past what is actually said. And even then, thats not particularly important unless they are planning to murder a guy I guess. In which case, thats their fault for planning a murder in an open location like that.

Exactly. The idea is it would be big things most of the world can attend.  Staff have had many events in the past, where they allowed remote viewing.

But I feel with the right handling, the staff could do a lot more from their side.

November 02, 2017, 06:10:06 PM #10 Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:58:41 PM by Synthesis
It doesn't need to be live streamed.

Just do it like those YouTube breakdowns of epic engagements in whatever that space-economy game is.  (Edited to add:  EVE online is what I was thinking about.)

Have a staff member designated to save logs and compile a general overview of everything that's happening during the event, maybe commission some player art related to the event, etc.  Then when it's no longer sensitive, piece together a video with a narrator voice-over, some music, cuts to the artwork, etc. etc.  (Or do this as soon as possible after the event, but only release it when things are no longer sensitive.)

If you're trying to get new people to play, it doesn't matter if what happened was 2 years ago or happening right now.  If it was interesting, and the narrative is done well, it will still be interesting.

The major problems are:  secret info, magick and psionic-related stuff, and PCs who live well beyond the event.  Oh, and having someone on staff who actually had the time and talent to get a polished product out.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 02, 2017, 06:10:06 PM
Oh, and having someone on staff who actually had the time and talent to get a polished product out.

It doesn't have to be staff.  I think all of us players should be working to recruit and retain new players through things like this.  You probably want to run the final product past staff to make sure it has been suitably scrubbed of secret things -- a simple search and replace of sdescs would also work, if the content is fine, but it might reveal who is still alive, etc.

Submission logs work this way.  Go forth, advertise!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on November 02, 2017, 07:13:09 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on November 02, 2017, 06:10:06 PM
Oh, and having someone on staff who actually had the time and talent to get a polished product out.

It doesn't have to be staff.  I think all of us players should be working to recruit and retain new players through things like this.  You probably want to run the final product past staff to make sure it has been suitably scrubbed of secret things -- a simple search and replace of sdescs would also work, if the content is fine, but it might reveal who is still alive, etc.

Submission logs work this way.  Go forth, advertise!

Only someone on staff would have access to all of the relevant back-story, sequence of events of all significant players, etc.

A story from a first-person limited perspective wouldn't be as conducive to explaining an entire RPT to a complete noob as third-person omniscient.

Actually I think it might be nice to see it from an actual players perspective as apposed to seeing absolutely everything.

Quote from: Hauwke on November 03, 2017, 01:22:48 AM
Actually I think it might be nice to see it from an actual players perspective as apposed to seeing absolutely everything.

There are way too many things that would have to be explained to a new player.

The point was to get -new- people interested.

If a gemmed mage shows up in first-person limited, the only thing you're going to see is "oh, a guy with some cheap jewelry."  If a gemmed mage shows up in third-person omniscient, they'll know that this is kind of a big deal, because presumably the narrator will tell them.

Any log is kind of fun for an experienced person to read, because we all can kinda read between the lines.  A noob can't do that.

In my opinion; if it's meant as an advertising move and draw for new players, it needs to be logged and then appropriately edited. When eventually livestreamed, the log would be replayed back and narrated over. Otherwise new people will be lost to an incomprehensive jumble of words and concepts they don't understand.

I've been playing MUDs for years even though I am new to Armageddon itself. It's like second nature to me to look at something at a glance and understand what's going on. To the point where my brain will auto-correct and auto-filter things (sometimes incorrectly, based on assumptions that are simply wrong because it's a new game) so I can decipher information faster.

If this is presented in real-time to someone who's NEVER played a mud, with no supporting explanations, it will most likely just send them running immediately. Looking back at my first exposure to MUDs, I was initially put off because I didn't understand what was going on. Information overload to the max. If someone had not sat down with me and took the time to walk me through the game, in addition to me literally having nothing better I could do with my time, I'd never have gotten into MUDs in the way I have now.

If this is just meant to be a spectating thing for players who can't be on for the RPT, or don't have a character that can partake then giving it from a player perspective with no narration is totally acceptable.

(How I have been successfully drawn into contributing to a forum I will never understand. I blame you all for being enjoyable people)

I agree a narrated edit will create more draw and be more entertaining to someone that hasn't played a mud before.

The thing that makes Armageddon interesting and entertaining for me is the stories you get out of the game.  And the exhilaration you feel when someone is trying to kill your character.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

JDM's log from both perspectives is amazing.  If live streaming isn't a viable option THIS is an awesome alternative.

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,51029.msg989109.html#msg989109
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

This sounds like a fun idea!

Quote from: ShaLeah on November 04, 2017, 09:43:08 AM
JDM's log from both perspectives is amazing.  If live streaming isn't a viable option THIS is an awesome alternative.

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,51029.msg989109.html#msg989109

This is awesome, I remember seeing one of them bleeding and walking through Allanak.  I don't think I saw either of them after that.  I always wondered what happened.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!