Tips for a Newbie

Started by MathematicalTea, October 27, 2017, 04:10:45 PM

October 27, 2017, 04:10:45 PM Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:16:18 PM by MathematicalTea
I very new to the game, and although I've read through much of the documentation, that does not help with the feeling of being overwhelmed when I enter the game, and of not knowing what to do. What should I start out with doing?
"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Welcome to Armageddon,

I would recommend joining a clan.  Probably the Tzai Byn.  Try not to post IC information on the GDB like your guild/subg  we can help without knowing who your character is. 

If you look at the board in your starting location then you can see who some of the people looking to hire are.  Type look board, then it will drop down a list of rumors you hear in the tavern you are in.   Type read board #1 to read the first message on the board or to inicate which message you want to read.

Keep in mind you need to think of what you see on the board as rumors in the bar as reading is illegal in most places.

You can also contact a helper directly.  I would say get on the discord for the quickest access.  Even so, try not to expose who your character is. https://discord.gg/5qsWdC2
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.msg419304.html#msg419304

Mansa's Beginners Guide. A little dated, but the information is solid. Gives a basic "What am I seeing, why, and how do I move forward?"

I would suggest feeling out the world. Learn how to tell NPCs from PCs (if possible), figure out some basic directions. Figure out where food and water are sold, and how to GET food and water. Get comfortable with your chosen surroundings, try to survive and explore for a RL day or two. People frequent bars at Night Time, so hanging around a tavern might get you in sight of players.

In Allanak:
Gaj
Water Temple
At least one Stable
West Gate and East Gate
Bazaar

In Luir's:
The tavern
The market yard
The stables
The difference between the gate to the Bailey (area around Luir's) and the gates that let you out into the Wastes.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Talk or listen to people at the appropriate bar. (More PC's  at bars duitng the hours of darkness)
Let them know you are looking for work.
Watch out for witches, elves and breeds.  ;)
(Good luck if you are one!)

Always look before you leap, this game has coded skills, but it isn't a hack and slash mud. A lot of things will have to be found out IC, when people offer you advice, consider it, also, consider the source and whether your character would believe it. I'd advise against going into any situation blind, unless you enjoy writing backgrounds and descs for what may end up being a ten minute stint. Don't obsess over skilling up, you're primarily here to RP. You don't have to be the best at everything, in fact, you can be the worst, provided you're ok with the consequences of that.

Overall, just play your character, get immersed, and learn as you go. Just know death is always a hair away, and sooner or later your beloved character, will be no more. Plan for it, have extras written up, because when it happens it is going to sting, having a new concept to get excited about playing can ease your woes some and get you over that hump.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Quote from: Grapes on October 28, 2017, 01:58:04 AM
Always look before you leap, this game has coded skills, but it isn't a hack and slash mud. A lot of things will have to be found out IC, when people offer you advice, consider it, also, consider the source and whether your character would believe it. I'd advise against going into any situation blind, unless you enjoy writing backgrounds and descs for what may end up being a ten minute stint. Don't obsess over skilling up, you're primarily here to RP. You don't have to be the best at everything, in fact, you can be the worst, provided you're ok with the consequences of that.

Overall, just play your character, get immersed, and learn as you go. Just know death is always a hair away, and sooner or later your beloved character, will be no more. Plan for it, have extras written up, because when it happens it is going to sting, having a new concept to get excited about playing can ease your woes some and get you over that hump.

I'd say there are several phases of learning how to play the game.

In the early phase, you should take risks and die often, because that's the only way you're ever going to learn what -is- risky and how to appropriately manage those risks.

Once you have a decent idea of "what not to do," you get into the middle phase, where RP is more rewarding, because you aren't either a) constantly dying or b) avoiding risks so much that you're bored or boring.

Eventually you get into a final phase where you start to learn deeper secrets, or start getting a more complex understanding of things you learned in earlier phases.

I suppose it's possible to take a single PC through all of those phases if you get extraordinarily lucky in the "figuring out what's dangerous" phase, but it's uncommon.  That being said, if your primary interest is playing politics, the first phase will be markedly compressed, because danger in politics has a RL foundation that you (presumably) have already learned, with a relatively smaller set of concepts/variables to become familiar with that are unique to the game.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Never stop taking risks, though. Risks are what make this game fun.

Be like Mulder and trust no one. This doesn't mean you can't make friends! But always think to yourself: who benefits from this?

Quote from: Delirium on October 28, 2017, 01:26:13 PM
[W]ho benefits from this?

Clearly, the bootmaker.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Not really a tip for getting into the game, but consider what you want to get out of the game, too. It is a game plagued by people who play extremely conservatively, and take no chances. If you want to have fun, make every effort in avoiding picking up their bad habits.

It sucks to lose a PC, but it sucks a lot more to lose a PC and realize, you didn't do any of the fun things you wanted to do. Whenever you can, have your PC live a big life, because it's much better than living a long life, where you do nothing but spar until you're "ready".

There is no ready, so do today instead.
"Mortals do drown so."

Those "boring" PCs probably aren't giving you as much attention as you'd like because they know you're going to die soon-ish, so it would be fruitless to invest effort in you.

If you want people to invest effort in you, your first priority should be to prove you aren't wasting their time.

Also, I'd argue that the risk averse probably started out as risk takers.  As you survive more and more risks taken, and sink more and more time into the PC, the downside to the diceroll becomes greater and greater.

For instance...I've been playing the same PC for well over a year.  I've been nearly PK'ed 5 times and been under 10 hp more times than I'd like to admit.  None of those within the last...quite a long time, though.  Does it get boring? Sure.  Most of the time, actually.  But the thing is...there are other players who are depending on my PC being there for major RPTs, and in a multiplayer game, your own amusement is not your only responsibility.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 01, 2017, 03:35:00 AM
Those "boring" PCs probably aren't giving you as much attention as you'd like because they know you're going to die soon-ish, so it would be fruitless to invest effort in you.

If you want people to invest effort in you, your first priority should be to prove you aren't wasting their time.

You're so far off the mark, it's an embarrassment.

Also, I'd argue that the risk averse probably started out as risk takers.  As you survive more and more risks taken, and sink more and more time into the PC, the downside to the diceroll becomes greater and greater.

For instance...I've been playing the same PC for well over a year.  I've been nearly PK'ed 5 times and been under 10 hp more times than I'd like to admit.

That's almost two weeks worth, of playing in Red Storm, or the Tablelands.

Does it get boring? Sure.  Most of the time, actually.

Normal and well-adjusted people don't play games, to be bored most of the time.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 01, 2017, 03:35:00 AMBut the thing is...

You're some bitter old player, trying to justify your boring habits, with weak excuses.

Not interested.
"Mortals do drown so."

Sliding into risk-averse playing is exactly what will make you frustrated and bored with your long-lived PC.

Don't do it.

Take those risks! And someday, die gloriously!

It's so much better than a slow slide into crotchety obscurity.

Quote from: Vex on November 01, 2017, 04:12:15 PM

For instance...I've been playing the same PC for well over a year.  I've been nearly PK'ed 5 times and been under 10 hp more times than I'd like to admit.

You're some bitter old player, trying to justify your boring habits, with weak excuses.

Not interested.

Whatever happens, happens.

OP, there are some obvious rules about realism that hold all the different play styles together, but within those rules, you are free to enjoy the game however you like!  Wanna sit at the bar and never wear a single piece of armor?  You can do that!  Wanna walk across the salt flats and attack a mekillot with a broken bottle?  You can do that!  (As long as your PC has a reason to, and you don't mind rolling a new one!)

Another great tip for getting started?  Take the opinions expressed on this discussion board with a grain of salt.  People can get feisty in their passion for this game.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Whatever happens, happens.

*shrug* I don't know anything about your personal playing style, but the point stands:  nobody will invest effort in your PC if you can't prove you're worth the time.  I suppose there are some relatively low-effort behaviors that people are attracted to that are independent of skill sheets though (e.g. mudsex*), so I guess if you can consistently do that, and enjoy it...the advice to be responsible to survive and skill up and/or develop long-term relationships doesn't apply.

If you're getting nearly PK'ed 5 times and nearly dying numerous times within a 2 week span on the same PC, you're just playing stupidly and recklessly.  Not really something to brag about, but okay.

Normal and well-adjusted people don't scoff at advice from people who have been doing the damn thing for 18 years.  If your profile information is correct, I've literally been playing this game longer than you've been alive.  Obviously you have a lot of enthusiasm for getting into shit.  I did once, too.  I strongly suspect that you'll mellow out a bit as you gain experience (assuming this is an actual newish account, and not just someone trolling from an alt).

Not interested.

How, exactly, am I being bitter?  Pointing out the reality that you will have to suffer through some boredom in order to get to the good stuff isn't bitter.  That's just the way it is.  Resigned, maybe...but not bitter.  If I were angry or resentful at the nature of the game, I wouldn't bother logging in at all.  In fact, I've been outspoken in a couple of threads that there actually is a lot of stuff going on, and quite a few new and interesting things to explore.  So...I don't know why you'd think that I'm bitter because I don't agree that continually playing recklessly is good advice for a newbie.

On the other hand, my first post in this thread, I specifically stated that taking risks and dying a lot is good--up to a point.  At a certain point, you have to apply what you've learned by dying in order to not die anymore.

Quote from: Delirium on November 01, 2017, 04:34:35 PM
Sliding into risk-averse playing is exactly what will make you frustrated and bored with your long-lived PC.

Don't do it.

Take those risks! And someday, die gloriously!

It's so much better than a slow slide into crotchety obscurity.

As I mentioned elsewhere...in a multiplayer game, your own glory is not the only important thing.  I've never been the PC that really drives the scene, anyway, and I don't need to be the center of attention.  I'm perfectly fine being in a supporting role, and I wouldn't characterize that as "crotchety obscurity."

*Note:  I'm not necessarily being critical of mudsex.  I'm just saying...being good at mudsex entails substantially less in-game work than, say, being good with a polearm.

Learning is important. Once you know enough about the rules of an area and how not to die, it's ok to come in talking like you know what you're doing. There's a quick series of checks that must be performed before anyone trusts you with anything. Getting good, is not necessarily key to getting involved, it's more along the lines of Dirty Harry's timeless advice, "A man's got to know his limitations."
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Quote from: MathematicalTea on October 27, 2017, 04:10:45 PM
I very new to the game, and although I've read through much of the documentation, that does not help with the feeling of being overwhelmed when I enter the game, and of not knowing what to do. What should I start out with doing?

Watch...

Do a lot of watching!   (not codedly using the watch skill)  lol  though that doesn't hurt.

What I mean is simply watch the player base do its thing, if you're sincerely new and are overwhelmed just pick a spot where business happens and watch the goings on.   See how others interact, learn through quiet interest.   

Another idea is to pick someone out of a crowd, (who looks un-important) ask them if they want to hang out for a day, follow them around, help them with their daily routine.  That will get you started on all sorts of shenanigans.  :)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Another good idea is to spend all of your starting money on drinks for everyone that you meet, that way even though you'll be totally broke, everyone will like you... for a while.   :-X
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

I'd like to know how MathematicalTea is doing. Update please!

I play for the Murder, Corruption and Betrayal. I don't play for the critters burrowed in the sand that pop out and kill me.  Gimme drama, gossip, hatred, love, lust, secrets. Since most of that shit comes to light or starts in a tavern,  I'm not one of these people:
Quote from: Vex on November 01, 2017, 07:53:50 PM

People sitting in taverns are more likely to die from murder, corruption and betrayal than those getting rantarri/gith/mek/dujaat killed. 

Synth is actually right when he says:

Though I wouldn't have put it THAT way I would have mentioned that PCs die so often on Arm that quite frequently you see them once or twice and so we tend to not really notice anyone until we've seen them several times. I would also mention that not everyone wants to talk and be chatty at the bar, sometimes you just wanna drink and think and watch. Show up, people will come around.

The best advise I can give is - Figure out what you want from the game.
what's your PC's story, what makes that character tick? Are you gaga for the code? Explore the world! Make 45 Amos the ranger/warrior/hunters! Fight for it, kill for it, live it but make sure it's your story, not what someone else THINKS you should play.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

This is exactly what a new player wants to see. I am sure of it.

We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: WarriorPoet on November 02, 2017, 11:47:24 AM
This is exactly what a new player wants to see. I am sure of it.

QFT. That's why I just linked the old Mansa guide with plenty of tips and general information.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: ShaLeah on November 02, 2017, 10:59:03 AM
I'd like to know how MathematicalTea is doing. Update please!
I'm doing well, thank you. I haven't had as much time to play now that NaNoWriMo has started, but I'm getting the hang of the game, slowly but surely, and finding it rather enjoyable.
"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul." - Friedrich Nietzsche

a tl;dr of the above scattered tirades:

There'll be times when you are bored, while playing your character. There are 3 paths to being unbored, and 3 truths to becoming unbored.

Truths:

• Armageddon is not exciting 100% of the time to 100% of the playerbase.
  • Sometimes, you're bored because you are playing a boring character.
  • Whether excited or bored at the moment your character dies, your character -will- eventually die. Your perception of the events leading up to and including the death(s) will be partly created by your approach to your own gameplay.

Paths:

• Wait for the excitement to come to you. This might or might not ever happen but it is certainly a path
  • Seek out and latch onto the excitement that already exists. This definitely happens but see Truth #1 just as a reminder.
  • Create excitement that involves either just yourself, or others. This might take some time learning what constitutes "excitement" within the scope of the game, but it is totally doable and can generate fun for you and for others.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.