Staff AMA or Staff/Player Discussions

Started by Adhira, October 24, 2017, 02:56:41 PM

Hello all,

We are looking to do more with our Discord channel in the Player/Staff discussion realm.

At the moment we're considering doing a variety of Staff 'AMA' style discussions.  We're thinking that these could feature individual staff members who will answer questions about their experience, thoughts, plans and more with regards to Armageddon.

We are also thinking of having some 'groups' of staff members do AMA discussion such as 'new storytellers', 'southern team' and so on.  We could also do a themed discussion if there were particular areas that people feel need more indepth attention.

Questions for you all:

- Are there any particular 'groups' that you would like to see featured in these discussions.
- Are there any themes or topics that you think need to be featured.
- Preference for chats?  (Week night, weekend day, weekend night)

Thanks, in advance, for the feedback!
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

I'm always interested in the differences between Storytellers, Team Leaders, Producers, etc. Especially those that have been Team Lead/Producer, and gone back and forth between positions.

Unfortunately, due to the anonymity involved in becoming a staff member, there are a lot of questions that really rule out it being an "AMA" per se.

I think these would go better more towards like... "Hi, I'm Akariel, and I headed up the MeatCraft project. AMA!" ... where there is a specific addition or focus as a jumping off point.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

A lot of people seem to have an interest in what is going on in/with Tuluk as you probably noticed.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Riev on October 24, 2017, 03:44:09 PM
I'm always interested in the differences between Storytellers, Team Leaders, Producers, etc. Especially those that have been Team Lead/Producer, and gone back and forth between positions.

"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Way late finding out there's a discord channel, cool to see it being utilized.

How can we revive the legendary armrage memes thread and make it a staple of the GDB forever with up to date armrage memes weekly?

What kinds of stuff have staff been prioritizing that we aren't seeing in release notes, if any?

How many times have you guys PK'd eachother whilst amidst a philosophical discussion that ended in a duel in which someone had to die?

I've always been a little confused on how involved staff actively are progressing plots. I know there's been a few statements made. It'd be cool to also talk about how closely staff run with plots. If the staff have any plans on doing something like tossing out a world plotline (not an apocalyptic one) ((Maybe Kurac suffers a spice shortage for a year and the crazed junkies form an angry army to burn down Luirs in rage or something, that kind of scale))

How's the mechanics been working out for player clans in the gameworld, is the consensus it was a solid move so far staff side?

Just shooting hip fire here.

*Week nights

While I won't be joining a discord discussion with you all, I did want to say thus far my experience with staff has been fantastic and I wanted to thank you all for all the effort and awesome you've been pouring into the game lately. I honestly think some very good restructuring decisions have been made and while my anecdotal experience is not reflective of the entire experience, I'm just happy to bask in the awesome boon I unwittingly walked into.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Leave poor Luir;s alone
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

I want to know about this massive class overhaul we are getting supposedly. As it is likely to fundamentally change the game as we know it.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I found myself thinking about the class overhaul as well. My biggest question, is actually: Who is going to get food forage?

Silly I know, but wont it end up being just about 1 in 3 people having it?

I'd be interested in a semi-casual AMA format for individual staff members. I like to know things like an individual staffer's philosophy to storytelling, about their experiences, etc. It's also more human and interactive than a carefully worded statement about a big upcoming rework or overhaul!
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

As to the class overhaul, I'd personally like it if, when implemented, there is the option to generate a character using the new system as well as the old. That will be a HUGE change and until all the kinks are worked out some players may prefer the old system.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Still banned from Discord.  Lulz.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: HavokBlue on October 24, 2017, 08:13:46 PM
I'd be interested in a semi-casual AMA format for individual staff members. I like to know things like an individual staffer's philosophy to storytelling, about their experiences, etc. It's also more human and interactive than a carefully worded statement about a big upcoming rework or overhaul!

This is a good suggestion: I'd love to learn more about a given staffer or staff teams approach to storytelling: what their favorite books are, what sort of stories they like, what RP style they enjoy, and so on.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Topic: Why does there seem to be such a disproportionate emphasis on coded changes (mainly things like class overhauls) to the game instead of story-related changes?

It seems like that's somewhat backwards for an RPI MUD and I'm genuinely curious about the strategy. Personally, while I appreciate the effort put forth, I don't find any of the upcoming guild changes to be particularly enticing - or, well, at all enticing.

I've always considered basic MUDs to be pretty dull affairs (especially in this current era of gaming), but RPIs stand ahead simply because of the interactive writing elements that are always taken to the forefront. That's the one thing this archaic gaming format possesses over the competition.

I'd revert to the 2013 version of the game in favor of a more consistent, resolute focus on the storytelling.
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: TheWanderer on October 26, 2017, 03:33:12 PM
Topic: Why does there seem to be such a disproportionate emphasis on coded changes (mainly things like class overhauls) to the game instead of story-related changes?

I wholly agree with you, but I assume the reasoning is that "not everyone" would know about big storyline changes, even with the focus on Allanak. Its not as though they can make a big post about how Red Robe Steve has been ousted, and here's the plot that went with it. I can name at least 5 people who would be offended they weren't part of his virtual plot, and 10 more who would want to know why they couldn't have stopped it.

However. I do miss the occasional STORIES that the staff would post. Like. The game world is alive, here's proof. Things happened.

You're touching upon one of the underlying issues plaguing the storytelling in this game. If there was a plot involving the ousting of a powerful member of the Templarate, I shouldn't need staff announcements to tell me about it. The hope is that I feel the effects of that kind of event during actual play. I don't, though. That's what leads this game to feel like such an insipid, vacuous experience at times.

You remember the big ole Black Robe (the names of the NPCs forgotten to time) HRPT in Allanak? Yeah, fun times. There was that change in power at the end and you thought there might be noticeable differences in play, to some of the culture? No. There was nothing. The entire result of all that effort was basically the changing of an NPC's name. Allanak plays the same exact way it played when I started playing in 2013, save a few room changes. That's the insipid, pointless stuff I'm talking about. 

There is literally one major city in play and there could be a concentrated effort in changing it from the one I started playing in 4 years ago, in both constructing events and having it adapt to those events, naturally progressing. But instead of devoting staff resources to plots, effective storytelling, to tweaking a stagnant game world that changes only in room descriptions and available locations, there's what seems to be this peculiar devotion to coded aspects. I can tell you the days of 70+ at peak won't be rekindled by a class overhaul because that's not why people play this game in the slightest.

At the end of the day, if there aren't any tangible effects to be felt from these events, what were those events but pointless filler? That basically sums up my frustration when looking at an IG rumor board after being gone for two months, or player and staff announcements, and seeing just about every event has been either an arena showing or another party. The events which should serve as side dishes, ways to provide nuance, have somehow become so ridiculously prevalent that the game feels more stagnant than ever.

So, you know what? Despite it having no lasting effects, the Black Robe HRPT was an entertaining experience and made the world feel chaotic and alive. I'll grudgingly accept Allanak forever staying the same as long as there's some modicum of consistency in those types of events, ones which a noob can very quickly look at from the onset and go, "Whoa, cool."

Yeah. Hence me bringing up the topic for a potential AMA discussion. I suppose hearing about your reading preferences would also be cool, too.

October 26, 2017, 06:39:41 PM #16 Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:41:37 PM by Veselka
Because the game is run by Coders, not by high-creative Storytellers.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: TheWanderer on October 26, 2017, 05:00:32 PM
I can tell you the days of 70+ at peak won't be rekindled by a class overhaul because that's not why people play this game in the slightest.

Preach. Although, some DO, and someone will tear your argument down on that basis alone.

Your arguements are made null and void by my enjoyment of swording things in the face!

Pretty sure most staff don't work on code. Developing new code and the duties of a storyteller basically have zero overlap.

The game is as old as I am and it's due for a tune-up.

Consistency in storytelling can be addressed by working to counter staff burnout, to some extent.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

My vote is for a weekend. I think weekend day or evening would be best since it would include some offpeak Euros too.
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

I would like one of the sessions to be used entirely as a Welcome Back Bonanza for ShaloooOOOooonsh and Calavera, plz.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Seeker on October 27, 2017, 11:36:20 AM
I would like one of the sessions to be used entirely as a Welcome Back Bonanza for ShaloooOOOooonsh and Calavera, plz.
Seconded.

All in favor?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: HavokBlue on October 27, 2017, 02:57:21 AM
Pretty sure most staff don't work on code. Developing new code and the duties of a storyteller basically have zero overlap.

Which is why it's so curious that the only thing that gets any spotlight is a guild revamp, karma changes, and special application adjustments.

The game is as old as I am and it's due for a tune-up.

Greatly in need, but of a different variety. I'm willing to bet we get an announcement on the inevitable split of the psion guild before anything worthwhile in the creative department.

Consistency in storytelling can be addressed by working to counter staff burnout, to some extent.

Or, you know, simply discussing the amount of bureaucracy that goes into getting anything done as a storyteller. Consistency in storytelling that requires multiple parties can be a mind-numbing effort, one that requires dedication.

Especially when you have to aim for a consensus on anything remotely impactful you want to do.

I'd be interested in different Storyteller beliefs they had before going INTO the role that they were quickly disabused of. It seems some staff burnout super quick, and others build up over time and Nyrgal at all the toxicity they deal with.

Do storytellers think they go in as Dungeonmasters, capable of crafting small plots for their clans? Do they feel they have more control than they do? Do they find they have MORE control than they thought and get paralyzed by options?