House Kurac and House Kadius Role Application Discussion

Started by Strongheart, October 21, 2017, 12:48:01 PM

I think it's great that these two Merchant Houses are getting a role call! I would also like to mention that perhaps hiring internally would be more interesting and beneficial? There are members in the clans that would be worth a mention in terms of promotion, as I have seen a few canidates fit for the role or have outright earned a higher position IG. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this topic? This goes out to all the clans in general when it comes to internal employment.

There isn't a higher position IG within a merchant house than a blooded family member rolls out into, unless there's already a blooded family member in place who has been around moving and shaking long enough to have gotten promoted past that. In my experience, GMH family adoptions require a certain amount of displayed drive and presence as well, maybe those aren't there for your candidates. I'm sure staff did consider existing members before posting up the rolecall, and decided they wanted someone rolling in with the specific intention of fulfilling the requirements of a leader rolecall. Characters hired in and promoted up in clans don't always have the same goals in mind as someone who apps in specifically for a role.

October 21, 2017, 01:08:35 PM #2 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:58:43 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

October 21, 2017, 01:14:38 PM #3 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:58:35 AM by Molten Heart

-James Brown

at a certain rank in the clan, you have to be blooded family.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

October 21, 2017, 01:19:46 PM #5 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:58:28 AM by Molten Heart

-James Brown

Quote from: Molten Heart on October 21, 2017, 01:14:38 PM
Is being a blooded family member required for a middle management style PC clan leader?

As evilcabbage said, past a point you have to either be adopted, or roll in as blooded family to get a rank. A middle management style PC clan leader isn't someone who'd app in on a family rolecall anyway, I think? Maybe I'm wrong, there. I may be a bit behind on the IC of it as well but I also thought the existing GMHs already had people in those positions, and assumed that the rolecall was either to spread out leadership and ease workload on existing leaders, distribute workload, or have more 'blooded family' presence for the parts of the culture that lean on those parts of a clan.

The GMHs already DO hire and promote from within but there's NOTHING like family. Would you all say the same thing about a NOBLE role call? No. You wouldn't.   

Think of GMHs as mini noble houses/mafia. They're rich as fuck, the richest, they've sucked up to the powers that be for generations. EARNING YOUR WAY INTO THE FAMILY is possible but it's going to take a loooonnnnnnnnnng time and most won't make it, you know why?  Cause MOST people are self serving. They're not worried about <insert GMH name here>, they care what for their own agenda/wealth/vendetta/life.  Non-blood can earn the right to be considered family but there's not going to be anyone quite like a blooded family to increase your power and further your agenda, to always always have your House's interests as their own. They'll marry for you, they'll breed for you, they'll murder for you and they will spend all their sid, YOUR sid, making sure your monopoly stays on top.

You also have to remember that there's only so high a PC can get to IG and while that basically gives that person HBIC status over every PC under them there is always someone higher.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

the lowest i know of gmh family members apping in is crew leader/overseer/merchant level.

that's where they start. tell me how many people you know of in your respective clans who have earned that kind of rank, ever.

i think the highest a non-blood pc can get without being adopted is actually those ranks, past that you -have- to be adopted. i could be wrong, though.

Quote from: evilcabbage on October 21, 2017, 01:31:58 PM
the lowest i know of gmh family members apping in is crew leader/overseer/merchant level.

that's where they start. tell me how many people you know of in your respective clans who have earned that kind of rank, ever.

i think the highest a non-blood pc can get without being adopted is actually those ranks, past that you -have- to be adopted. i could be wrong, though.

Right.

I'm totally gaga over sponsored roles. So sad I can't app these.  :'(

I love new sponsored roles to suck up to. Heart them like no other. They're the real movers and shakers of the game.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

cabbages do the most moving and shaking, you know.

but gmh roles are pretty okay at it too.

Just a PSA to those preexisting characters wondering why they're getting a new boss parachuted in: new characters have awful defense and offense stats.

Some of the new-leader PCs I've seen over the years have made me seriously want to just murder them and see if anyone objects to my PC wearing their ring.

Could be a number of reasons for the rolecall. Maybe the people they felt best to take over the spot, refused the promotion.
Not everyone wants people begging for there attention every moment they are logged on.

I have watched staff promote people from within, where it is applicable. So if they are calling for one, they got a reason. It's MUCH easier to promote someone that's been in for years by the promote command, and handing them a key, then it is to indoctrinate a new person.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Also to consider:

When you promote to a "high-as-far-as-PLAYABLE characters are concerned" level, you are reducing the underling pool. It also means that underling pool is likely now missing their own underling leader, and someone within that pool needs to be promoted. What happens if they're all recruits and you JUST elevated the only close-quarter leader they had, to "ain't the boss of you no more I have nobles and templars to suck up to now" status?

In addition, I love sponsored roles. Even the shit roles, even the roles played by crappy twink non-roleplayers. It gives more dimension to the clan. Get stuck with an idiot? Great! Plot to have him removed/killed. Or become his underling and manipulate him until he's actually useful.

Meanwhile, earn your spot, if you want it that badly and don't want to special app it. Think of all of the PCs who started in the lower ranks and actually made it to wear a signet ring. Think of how long they were in the clan before they got to that point. Think of all the things they accomplished, if you remember them fondly. Think of all the things they fucked up on, if you don't remember them fondly. Now compare with what you can bring to the table, right this minute, with your current character in that clan. I'm guessing your character doesn't have what it takes. Yet. Potential, sure. So earn it. And then eliminate the competition without getting caught, and take their place.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Both are viable options, nothing wrong with role apping in or being moved up internally.  If you aren't in those clans than you can't really say if there is anyone that could be moved up like that. Nor do you know if the alleged person wants to be moved up.  If you are in those clans and you do know.  You shouldn't really say it on the GDB.

I do like Lizzie's take on it though, if the new leader is shit, (the character, not the player) than certainly murder and betray the bad leader away.  You could get someone that really clicks with the clan too and it could drive plot.

Its just speculation either way.  One could be better, the other could be better.  Both could be equally good or bad.

Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Random but I still want to know the story of that brand new app'ed Salari blood PC who decided 5 minutes within entering the game that they should all go bahamet hunting and then died from it shortly after.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Just a reminder that it is in no way appropriate to post anything vaguely IC on the GDB.

(This means you, @Doublepalli)

Just a sidenote: If you intend to get promoted to a position of leadership through IC means, it is 100% more likely to happen if Staff know you are actually trying to get that role. That means putting in character reports and OOC letting us know you're interested in the position of leadership and the burdens (weekly reports) that comes with it. Also, letting us know what you're doing to distinguish yourself from the hundred other Amos and Talia out there that are also working for House Kohmar on an IC level will boost your results as well.

Personally speaking, if someone doesn't come to me in a report and directly state they want to be a leader, I will not use the hand of a superior NPC to promote them. Not all players like being thrust into leadership roles, and not all players have the time to do so.