What to do with Tuluk

Started by ghanima, October 21, 2017, 04:38:15 AM

October 23, 2017, 11:18:02 AM #25 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:25:29 AM by Grapes
I like Bushranger's idea. Yes, the gates are, open... you can go inside, but if you see a twitchy guy, or someone missing teeth, oh no, you actually WENT inside... GET OUT! I'd love the idea of some kind of rebellion having taken place, and once the streets are basically clean, the gates open. You COULD go inside, but do you really want to listen to that one wide-eyed aide speak poetically of something that, for no explainable reason, makes your skin crawl? Probably not. Back to Morin's, fellows, this is some spooky stuff.

EDIT: Plus, there are some scenes that only make sense with Tuluk as a backdrop, a contrast to the Nakki elements. Whoever said Tuluk doesn't have enough lying going on, JEEZ, Tuluk is BUILT on lies. If you don't lie in Tuluk you're going to have a really bad time.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Which is why I'm still down for Muk Utep either going back to sleep or doing a Takhisis-stole-the-world plot where he goes off into the astral to find Zalanthas' true place. A reason for him to be gone and forsake even his Chosen and Beloved peoples, to return them to their true place.

I want elves to take over Tuluk so badly, but I cannot fathom any way that Muk Utep would abandon his post, High Templars that wouldn't absolutely murderate everyone, and just... Tuluk is too big to fail now.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I like the idea of Muk Utep going mad and having Tuluk be a really twisted, warped version of what it once was.

October 23, 2017, 11:44:58 AM #28 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:55:44 AM by Grapes
Quote from: Riev on October 23, 2017, 11:27:39 AM
Which is why I'm still down for Muk Utep either going back to sleep or doing a Takhisis-stole-the-world plot where he goes off into the astral to find Zalanthas' true place. A reason for him to be gone and forsake even his Chosen and Beloved peoples, to return them to their true place.

I want elves to take over Tuluk so badly, but I cannot fathom any way that Muk Utep would abandon his post, High Templars that wouldn't absolutely murderate everyone, and just... Tuluk is too big to fail now.

Planar travel is relatively difficult in a Dark Sun style world. That's kind of where gith come from. They managed to poke a hole in Athas one day and invaded, but NOPE, they may be awesome astral pirates with psionics, but they got thoroughly routed, and, the ones present, got STUCK. The gods managed to breach the grey of Athas, took one look around, and said, um, maybe I'll go do something else instead, and promptly closed it. It only really connects to the elemental planes, and no one outside of Athas who knows this wants to change this. Some Athasian beings have managed travel to planes other than the elemental, like, possibly Dregoth, depending who you ask. If Muk went to the astral plane, he's probably out for the count for at least a while.

EDIT: I mean, I suppose it's POSSIBLE, if you went to the plane of fire, found the brass city, and got the downlow on the portals therein. It would likely take some doing for a defiler, however, as I doubt anyone there would be very friendly.

EDIT 2: Let's also remember that the first Arm Nilazi to step out of a portal into a non-Dark Sun game would promptly be seen as the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. Zalanthans, much like Athasians, are like some weird superhumans from a dying, thoroughly toxic world, with a mindset ripped straight from "The Dosadi Experiment".
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Quote from: Grapes on October 23, 2017, 11:44:58 AM

Planar travel is relatively difficult in a Dark Sun style world. That's kind of where gith come from. They managed to poke a hole in Athas one day and invaded, but NOPE, they may be awesome astral pirates with psionics, but they got thoroughly routed, and, the ones present, got STUCK. The gods managed to breach the grey of Athas, took one look around, and said, um, maybe I'll go do something else instead, and promptly closed it. It only really connects to the elemental planes, and no one outside of Athas who knows this wants to change this. Some Athasian beings have managed travel to planes other than the elemental, like, possibly Dregoth, depending who you ask. If Muk went to the astral plane, he's probably out for the count for at least a while.

EDIT: I mean, I suppose it's POSSIBLE, if you went to the plane of fire, found the brass city, and got the downlow on the portals therein. It would likely take some doing for a defiler, however, as I doubt anyone there would be very friendly.

EDIT 2: Let's also remember that the first Arm Nilazi to step out of a portal into a non-Dark Sun game would promptly be seen as the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. Zalanthans, much like Athasians, are like some weird superhumans from a dying, thoroughly toxic world, with a mindset ripped straight from "The Dosadi Experiment".

I love you but hold on a moment.

We were BASED on Dark Sun. Many many many many years ago. At best now we are INFLUENCED by Dark Sun, with some races and quirks from the universe. Those gods do not exist in Zalanthas, and we have our own world we can craft. There's no reason a mind-bending sorcerer-psionicist GOD KING can't access the astral, looking for a lost plane of existence, other than the writing and the raison d'etre.

And. Yes. Its possible AND would give a reason for the city to be leaderless like it was for many, many years. The struggle is that the city has been set up, thematically, to not be able to fall to a hundred thousand elves even if they WERE working together, because magick and reasons.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

October 23, 2017, 12:29:45 PM #30 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:58:14 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

October 23, 2017, 01:00:04 PM #31 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:20:01 PM by LucildaHunta
Quote from: Molten Heart on October 23, 2017, 12:29:45 PM
Quote from: Riev on October 23, 2017, 12:10:26 PM
We were BASED on Dark Sun. Many many many many years ago. At best now we are INFLUENCED by Dark Sun, with some races and quirks from the universe. Those gods do not exist in Zalanthas, and we have our own world we can craft. There's no reason a mind-bending sorcerer-psionicist GOD KING can't access the astral, looking for a lost plane of existence, other than the writing and the raison d'etre.

This is where having a "Sister" MUD would be cool as a destination for potential extra-planar travel.

Wasn't Arctic Mud Arm's sister Mud? Or am I remembering that wrong? This took a strange derail.

Think if we ask the staff do they have any plans for Tuluk they'd tell us?

Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

The black moon falls from the sky striking Tuluk directly, but somehow leaves Allanak undamaged.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

October 23, 2017, 02:37:52 PM #33 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:42:10 PM by Grapes
Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on October 23, 2017, 01:15:48 PM
The black moon falls from the sky striking Tuluk directly, but somehow leaves Allanak undamaged.

The second the moon dropped Allanak and everyone else would race to mine it.

EDIT: I guess I'm saying that despite the destruction this would actually STRENGTHEN Tuluk's position, provided they still had the forces to hold it.

Quote from: Riev on October 23, 2017, 12:10:26 PM
Quote from: Grapes on October 23, 2017, 11:44:58 AM

I love you but hold on a moment.

And. Yes. Its possible AND would give a reason for the city to be leaderless like it was for many, many years. The struggle is that the city has been set up, thematically, to not be able to fall to a hundred thousand elves even if they WERE working together, because magick and reasons.

Oh god, imagine what Muk would think if he came back from the outer planes in a few king's ages and found elves had over-run his city... (nervous) Heh, I knew it would happen all along, as usual. Now uh, where are my fake elf ears?

I was only in favor of Tuluk closing under the pretense that clans in the south would all remain open.  I wanted player consolidation in location, but not in purpose.  I wanted more people in close quarters but with conflicts between them that weren't petty conflicts.

The move to close out competing clans, or at least their 'trusted' tools, made the entire shutting down of Tuluk completely irrelevant.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

October 23, 2017, 05:05:01 PM #36 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:09:19 PM by tapas
I don't think Tuluk's state of limbo is necessarily bad. Isn't that part of the theming of Tuluk? An ambiguous but unachievable utopia in the midst of barbarism?

I think there's actually a lot of interesting storytelling that can evolve around that angle.

Also dungeon crawls in the streets of Tuluk. Come on.

Quote from: tapas on October 23, 2017, 05:05:01 PM
I don't think Tuluk's state of limbo is necessarily bad. Isn't that part of the theming of Tuluk? An ambiguous but unachievable utopia in the midst of barbarism?

Tuluk theme of ambiguity is more an OOC product than an IC one right now. It's about as workable as Staff turning down requests from the players of breed and elven characters because they're not playing the master race. Trying to actually roleplay a character who still has ties to elements within Tuluk is a really awkward situation. Our characters can go in to the city, but we don't know what they see, and I for one don't feel comfortable making stuff up in case it leads to further awkwardness.

Staff can't seem to make up their mind how to handle Tuluk. First they said they were closing it for OOC reasons, then they cooked up some (pretty cool and awesome) in-character reasons, but neglected to follow-through and really close Tuluk to the IC world. The gates should be completely sealed, the forts abandoned, and no entry or egress available at all. Then at least we'll truly have the mystery of Sealed Tuluk to play against, instead of this "sealed but not really, you can go in but we don't tell you what you see" IC/OOC clusterfuck of a setting.

Though I guess overwrought or incoherent  and unplayable documentation is right in line with Tuluk.

October 23, 2017, 05:56:11 PM #38 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:42:44 PM by Aruven
Lol Everyone is just like: let's put some fucking zombies in the streets so I have more shit to kill.

I'm glad this thread came up.

Please just play in Allanak and don't ruin the memory of tuluk.

*This is coming from someone who thought the removal of tuluk at the time again was the worst possible thing for the game. At the time, I argued to keep Tuluk because we still had the players to make it work even though people were arguing in the tone that we didn't.

I was also just mad because in my opinion the whole closure had been triggered by what I will refer to as staff. They were saying it was about not having enough staff to support some clans at first, and then it devolved into Tuluk closing. They didn't offer to take on more staff members to staff the zone because they were already nitpicking how many players were where, and in the end they just ended up forcing retained players away from the game without any significant benefit of more players from some sort of consolidation.

I think the staff have made leaps and bounds in the game on some things. Tuluk just isn't one of them. And as someone who played their first toon in Tuluk, a place that had always been in the game since I started playing, the world just has a lot less of its soul when I play now, and I don't want to see it become a zombie infested xp zone. I'd rather it just stay in limbo than another bad option.

Tuluk's memory isnt a static one Aruven. Chucking a metric shit-ton of zombies into it is as much a part of its 'memory' as being a lying piece of crap that lives there.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on October 23, 2017, 05:34:46 PM
Quote from: tapas on October 23, 2017, 05:05:01 PM

Tuluk theme of ambiguity is more an OOC product than an IC one right now. It's about as workable as Staff turning down requests from the players of breed and elven characters because they're not playing the master race. Trying to actually roleplay a character who still has ties to elements within Tuluk is a really awkward situation. Our characters can go in to the city, but we don't know what they see, and I for one don't feel comfortable making stuff up in case it leads to further awkwardness.

Staff can't seem to make up their mind how to handle Tuluk. First they said they were closing it for OOC reasons, then they cooked up some (pretty cool and awesome) in-character reasons, but neglected to follow-through and really close Tuluk to the IC world. The gates should be completely sealed, the forts abandoned, and no entry or egress available at all. Then at least we'll truly have the mystery of Sealed Tuluk to play against, instead of this "sealed but not really, you can go in but we don't tell you what you see" IC/OOC clusterfuck of a setting.

Though I guess overwrought or incoherent  and unplayable documentation is right in line with Tuluk.

Probably a fair point. And would make for better play for the Tuluki Diaspora.

October 23, 2017, 06:46:01 PM #41 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:47:37 PM by Aruven
Quote from: Hauwke on October 23, 2017, 06:28:05 PM
Tuluk's memory isnt a static one Aruven. Chucking a metric shit-ton of zombies into it is as much a part of its 'memory' as being a lying piece of crap that lives there.

I have no idea what this means.

Why don't you just throw the zombies back onto the streets of Allanak? Bring the deep, well thought out storyline and RP right to everyone.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on October 23, 2017, 05:34:46 PM
Trying to actually roleplay a character who still has ties to elements within Tuluk is a really awkward situation.

"She's from Tuluk. You wouldn't know her."
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I think it would be cool to have infrequent rumor leaks from Tuluk to the closer bars. Its eventual ooc/ic fate is still lost in the storms of the future, but in the meantime there could be some sort of status quo.

Quote from: Aruven on October 23, 2017, 06:46:01 PM
Quote from: Hauwke on October 23, 2017, 06:28:05 PM

I have no idea what this means.

Why don't you just throw the zombies back onto the streets of Allanak? Bring the deep, well thought out storyline and RP right to everyone.

Sorry if its confusing, the point I am trying to make is a little hard to explain for me.

Basically, your memory of Tuluk isnt everyones memory, Tuluk is allowed to change from what it once was.

Also, yes, send me zombies to Allanak for some sweet, sweet HRPT wherein half the playerbase is killed.

Oh I guess I just didn't understand that you were replying to make that confirmation, my bad. Yea i'd agree.

I don't know at what point we got into how my personal memory is involved most of these actions and conversations are well documented and available. A lot of it isn't too, and most of the people that would share similar sentiments with me have already left the game.

Anyways yea, i'm not sure how saying I don't want a place that arguably does have a culture and storyline suspended not become a hack n slash apocalypse for no reason but more shitty RP made up suddenly became me attacking change because of my static memory.

October 23, 2017, 08:58:03 PM #46 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:58:04 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I never hid my disdain for Tuluk. Just wasn't for me.

I MISS TULUK for the ready-made conflict that patriotic  Nakkis were born into.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

my memory of tuluk was that it was impossible to get involved in a lot of things because of the style of rp and how people treated it, and it just seemed to be "too" nice, where any shred of hostility was shut down immediately and violently.

my other opinion is that despite being on peak times, i had a hell of a time -actually- finding anyone to rp with there.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: Molten Heart on October 23, 2017, 08:58:03 PM
There's no way of knowing if there aren't zombies walking the streets of Tuluk right now. Isn't that the IC reason for Tuluk closing? They were colonized by zombies?

Well, technically, isn't Tuluk still 'open' ICly and business as usual, except you're just not allowed to play in? So I think technically our characters are supposed to know exactly what's going on with it, but us, as players, don't know.

SUPER SIMPLE REALLY.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."