Back when I started Playing...

Started by Fredd, October 18, 2017, 02:47:48 PM

Let's embrace our inner grumpy-old-man for some fun.

Back when I started playing... Mount beetles came in one color. War.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Rangers had kick and disarm.

There wasn't an account system, instead to keep track of Karma and such when you created a new character you typed in the name of your previous character.

Kanks were awesome!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

...when did rangers have kick and disarm?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Back in the 90s
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Hot damn.

Just wondering, because my first ranger was in the Wyverns, and I remember oocing to ask, 'How do I get kick?'  And the guy responded 'Just use it a lot, or get it from bash'.

So I was a ranger who was using bash all the time just hoping kicking would show up in my skills list.  And I always thought it was a cruel joke where he was just laughing every time I fell down in combat.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

October 18, 2017, 05:33:44 PM #7 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:59:13 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Back when I started playing...

Y2K was (not) a threat to Ginka!

Back when I started, clay grebbing in Tuluk was what you did to wait for a real (1%) job, and was actually not capable of supporting a lifestyle that wanted anything besides food and water.

Back when I started, well, it wasn't such a terribly long time ago. Kryl were not around, and Morin's was some junky one-bit place to buy a cup of water and rest mid-hunt. Without the kryl, the woods felt like an interesting, almost peaceful place if you were on the edge, serene and stunning. Now its a place of utmost terror because kryl. Also no limits of sorcerers and mindbenders, woo. Wonder why they did that eventually.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

You couldn't see how good you were at skills.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

On a day where there were 20 people on you had to wait in a queue to log in.
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

The North was rebelling against Allanak.

No one told you to think about all the cool shit you could do INSTEAD of murder. In fact, you COULD murder people. Like ALL the time.

There were gypsies!

There were Nenyuks!
And ONE of those Nenyuk PCs had a KRATHI guard.

Quote from: valeria on October 19, 2017, 07:37:17 AM
You couldn't see how good you were at skills.

Quote from: Bushranger on October 18, 2017, 03:59:28 PM
Kanks were awesome!
They were. Honey-kanks were awesome-er. One of my characters had one.

I think back when I started HGs could be sorcerors.

Imagine?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

There was some sort of War over Copper or something, and my newbie Lumberjack was helping secure wood for spike pits and other mechanical traps for those damn Nakkis.

I couldn't see my skills.

Tuluk was open.

PCs were High Templars.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Luir's was just a spooky village and the market was in the inner yard and there was no outer bailey.

Tribeless desert elf magickers were everywhere.

Quote from: Riev on October 19, 2017, 10:26:12 AM
PCs were High Templars.
This is making me want to make a 'bring back the' Post.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Men were real Men.

Women were real Woman.

Little sharp-toothed anklebiters from the Grey Forest...

..still existed.

So did sandwiches.

And eyeglasses.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Bahamet incoming! The gates shut in your face when you really, really needed them to be open!

*The primary source of newbie coin was luring pre-stink gith to the gates so the guards could kill them for you. Their gear was worth the same as normal gear at this time.

*Anyone could play anything, which meant there were nearly weekly sorceror hunts.

*There were no crafting skills. You made coins by trading from one place to the other. Or see above.

*All elves were the same race.

Saturday Downtime.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

There were these really tall thin figures wearing white hooded robes that would come to the Gaj and be spooky. Most people were afraid of them. They didn't usually talk. They just "be'ed spooky."

I got hired by a templar in Allanak and found out a few RL days later that there was a HUGE explosion in the north city that took out half the quarter.  I learned via IM from the person who told me about the game, that she was hanging out in Freil's Rest, which was more like an outpost at that point, and only adjacent to the city, not part of it. Or something like that. She made it sound very rustic, primitive and outdoorsy. If I'm understanding this right, this was when the crater showed up in Old Tuluk. This first character lived through all that, but never learned about it and I was too new to understand what was going on. So I never learned exactly what it was, I can really only just take an educated guess.

This same character was inducted into the Guild and then got hired (while still in the Guild) by a noble house, once the templar stored/got killed (I don't remember which). She was assassinated by her guild boss, he was contracted to kill her by some other influential person. I don't think I ever learned the actual reason for that.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

the look echo was not a hemote
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

With my second ever PC I  went to undertuluk and explored deep enough to die to an ankheg. That character had absolutely no IC reason to do that.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: LauraMars on October 19, 2017, 07:12:57 PM
the look echo was not a hemote

Kanks were popular.

Everyone started with novice contact and that's the first skill all my PCs has to improve if they want to get anywhere.

There was an influx of anime characters.

Quote from: ShaLeah on October 19, 2017, 09:05:27 AM
There were Nenyuks!

And the only way to get an apartment was through a Nenyuki PC agent.
I ruin immershunz.