Back when I started Playing...

Started by Fredd, October 18, 2017, 02:47:48 PM

Armageddon was listed in a book about interesting things to do on this new thing called the World Wide Web.
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

The Anyali were open. I think it was just them and the Tan Muark for human tribals open to players then, but I could be wrong.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

You could ride from Allanak to Tuluk without leaving the North Road. I think? Been a while.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: flurry on October 19, 2017, 10:46:12 PM
You could ride from Allanak to Tuluk without leaving the North Road. I think? Been a while.

You could. Though those gith were sure to get you at the one bend near Allanak.

I remember when the new elf running code was, briefly, given to all elves.  My character felt superior to all those poor fecks that had to ride.  Like an elf should. 

I also remember the evolution of crafting, and subguilds, still feels a bit new fangled to me.

Quote from: mansa on October 19, 2017, 06:42:51 PM
Saturday Downtime.

Saturday downtimes SUCKED and we all played up until 2 seconds before we got kicked out and lost whatever cool shit we were just working on.

Back when I started playing the Rinth was a bustling marketplace, NPC's wore metal jewelry, the shore of silt sea WAS the edge of the world, there were civilizations East and West of Allanak, and the obsidian coin was worth more Dagnabbit!  you used to be able to get a mug of ale off Vennant for 6 sids!  Now its 11!  Krath damn inflation!

Also Trap was the shiiiiiittt
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Weren't there explosives back then?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on October 20, 2017, 04:39:22 PM
Weren't there explosives back then?

You used to be able to cram explosives into a backpack, trap the pack, trap it again with a fuse, and toss it somewhere.  You used to be able to rig explosives on doors.

It was a fantastic option for people who didn't want to twink out combat skills and being an indirect aggressor.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

My first character was from Steinal. Or fighting Steinal. It was unclear.

Months later, maybe a year, Shadowdancers!
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Zenith on October 18, 2017, 03:45:32 PM
Tuluk was open.
Back when I started playing Tuluk was closed and kanks were the mount of choice.

Saturday Downtime.
Oh yeah. Back when I started playing Americans and Canadians would complain about the game going down every Saturday.Was always up on Saturday for me though. And by the time I woke up on Sunday it was up then as well.

Quote from: Kankfly on October 19, 2017, 08:22:36 PMAnd the only way to get an apartment was through a Nenyuki PC agent.
Back when I started playing the coolest Drovian around had her own freestanding house and was a hero from the war with Tuluk. She went on to help with the firekanks and was (AFAIK) the first PC to ever communicate with one.

Quote from: Morrolan on October 21, 2017, 03:19:38 AM
My first character was from Steinal. Or fighting Steinal. It was unclear.

Months later, maybe a year, Shadowdancers!

Shadow dancers? Thats something I haven't heard before.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

The ancient and terrible Hole North of Allanak did not have warning signs preventing accidental falling-in.

This was fixed after a Byn contract in which MANY people got screwed over in a very deathy way, several of them important, long-lived, or important and long-lived. I remember being a drovian at the time, and as I never really ever level up my spells the useful guys (they were both girls) were doing drovy stuff and I remember cracking a joke about people falling in--- and was immediately told that that was what indeed had happened. One giant had managed to grab a ledge and climb down to check the sarges, who I think had both died. One did, I am sure.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Cind on October 23, 2017, 12:40:04 AM
The ancient and terrible Hole North of Allanak did not have warning signs preventing accidental falling-in.

This was fixed after a Byn contract in which MANY people got screwed over in a very deathy way, several of them important, long-lived, or important and long-lived. I remember being a drovian at the time, and as I never really ever level up my spells the useful guys (they were both girls) were doing drovy stuff and I remember cracking a joke about people falling in--- and was immediately told that that was what indeed had happened. One giant had managed to grab a ledge and climb down to check the sarges, who I think had both died. One did, I am sure.

Epic. Just fucking epic. T hat's how Bynners are supposed to die.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

The nak grocer sold flour.

A halfling at my friend.

The leader of the guild randomly killed a half giant in the folley for no apparent reason.
Quotejmordetsky: so I reckon, before 1750, people were fuckin retarded

QuoteNamino:
I'm not going to spawn 100,000,000 eggs like a black marlin just because Mekillots are a thing 

The Jaxa Pah were still an open Clan.

Saturday Downtime.

This.

Kanks.

~16:1 time ratio instead of current steady 8:1

The Bard's Barrel

There were two taverns in Allanak. Traders' Inn and the Mantis. Everybody hung out in Traders, nobles, commoners, templars, scum....something always went down in there.
Sings a song
Oooo,ooo, ooo

Quote from: LucildaHunta on November 14, 2017, 12:48:38 PM
There were two taverns in Allanak. Traders' Inn and the Mantis. Everybody hung out in Traders, nobles, commoners, templars, scum....something always went down in there.
wouldn't mind having a tavern where everyone would come over. Red's has an unwritten rule that rinthi, gemmed and elves aren't welcome.

levels.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

When I started playing, the Jaxa Pah still allowed magickers and you could buy flash powder from NPCs.

All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Sujaal was just a sergeant.

There was no 'stop' command. God I remember combat stacking up and lagging until it finally flooded through and, after 45 seconds of scroll, you got to find out if you survived or not.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Oh the nostalgia...

Back when I started circa '04, the mantis were invading some distant place called Luir's, and then my home town Tuluk. Of course I was waaaaay too nervous to travel outside alone (as a ranger lol) so I saw most of these events under the safety of House Salarr. One of my first memories was when two ancient God Kings had some kind of mental battle in the skies just outside the city gates, and all Tulukis were brought to their knees as they psionically observed this epic battle.

GODS I WAS A NEWB THEN (and still am)

mul mix

some slate eyed templar that was a pc that would haul your ass to worship

Quotejmordetsky: so I reckon, before 1750, people were fuckin retarded

QuoteNamino:
I'm not going to spawn 100,000,000 eggs like a black marlin just because Mekillots are a thing 

Quote from: WarriorPoet on November 14, 2017, 05:38:10 PM
Sujaal was just a sergeant.

There was no 'stop' command. God I remember combat stacking up and lagging until it finally flooded through and, after 45 seconds of scroll, you got to find out if you survived or not.

I lost a couple PC to that...so many tears.
Sings a song
Oooo,ooo, ooo