Open Allanak's Gates at Night

Started by Cind, October 09, 2017, 03:32:15 PM

... why would we remove -darkness- from the game?

get a torch.

don't go outside when it's windy.

this is a -harsh- desert wasteland, man.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Lets remove all the sand too. It's coarse and rough, and gets everywhere.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

October 17, 2017, 03:31:35 PM #52 Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:33:32 PM by TheGoose
It would be nice if an actual storm was required for total vision loss. Currently, a slight wind will plunge you from full, 4-room visibility to 0 visibility. It's weird.

Edit: Sorry for derail.

Anyway, there's more than one issue with Allanak, especially for newer players, that makes Luir's more of an attractive option. The gate situation is only one of many, most of which... I mean, do I really need to spell out why Allanak isn't a great place to actually learn the world from chargen?

The storm code is a completely other issue from the gate closure, and one that I find is much more valid for people to take a look at rather than the inconvenience of the gate closing.

Gates close in the south furthers the "southrons are dicks" mentality which seems to very much be part of the culture (that I like). I can imagine some tribal thinking, "They close the gates? What's wrong with them? A camp is always open. Don't they care about their tribe?" Just as I can imagine a southron going to Blackwing and thinking, "Where's the gates? What keeps the gith out of here? Are these elves friggin' crazy?"

That tiny amount of sand that stops all vision? Is actually because there is no light otherwise. When the moons are up you can see just fine, sometimes right through the night. I do think a torch should fix it though, its dumb that it doesnt.

Make torches great again.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

it takes a harsh sandstorm to drop you down from 3 room to 1 room visibility.

October 18, 2017, 10:30:27 AM #57 Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:32:23 AM by TheGoose
Quote from: evilcabbage on October 17, 2017, 05:13:04 PM

Not at night, which is what this derail is about. Keep up with our irrelevant grumbling, Cabbage!

In concession to the gate thing, it's annoying and a little inconvenient, but it's fine if it makes sense ICly. If it's just a cultural thing... whatever. That's fine.

Those guards should be able to shred anything that comes about, but they may (ICly) think worse things come out at night even though I know (OOCly) that that isn't actually true unless an admin spawns something.

So I guess the discussion, for me, would by why do they close the gates at night now? Originally it was due to gith, right?

Can we get a split thread to bitch about visibility at night?

Trying to make it to the gates in time while annoying mobs jump in your way giving their lives to delay you just enough.  I think it's fun.

I used to go spend the night in the ranch outside town but staff once animated the mul corral worker there to convince me that was not approved.   ;)

QuoteIn concession to the gate thing, it's annoying and a little inconvenient, but it's fine if it makes sense ICly. If it's just a cultural thing... whatever. That's fine.

This is why I don't think it's a big deal to say 'Try to do this IC'.  This thread would even fit better in world discussion.

Edit:  Well.  Unless someone decides to come in and say that trying to fix IC things IC is an OOC inconvenience and should be changed.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: TheGoose on October 18, 2017, 10:30:27 AM
Quote from: evilcabbage on October 17, 2017, 05:13:04 PM

Not at night, which is what this derail is about. Keep up with our irrelevant grumbling, Cabbage!

In concession to the gate thing, it's annoying and a little inconvenient, but it's fine if it makes sense ICly. If it's just a cultural thing... whatever. That's fine.

Those guards should be able to shred anything that comes about, but they may (ICly) think worse things come out at night even though I know (OOCly) that that isn't actually true unless an admin spawns something.

So I guess the discussion, for me, would by why do they close the gates at night now? Originally it was due to gith, right?

Can we get a split thread to bitch about visibility at night?

i don't think the gate guards could take a mekillot down, and they don't exactly live -that- far away from the city.

Keep them closed.  ;)

Seriously though, I vote for closing them as darkness hits.

Quote from: TheGoose on October 16, 2017, 10:35:45 AM
Quote from: Vex on October 10, 2017, 04:58:19 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on October 10, 2017, 04:08:48 PM
The argument that it's inconvenient and not-fun has never worked for me in any of the discussions of any role-playing game with high standards.

Yeah, the whole gate thing is one of many things that make playing in Allanak a pain in the ass compared to Luir's (which is basically perfect except for the lack of renting space) or Red Storm. It honestly makes no sense, but whatever. I'm just going to continue to tell people to start in Luir's.

Edit: Yeah, I've never needed to get into the gates because someone was trying to PK me, or I was out of cures, or whatever that last improbable situation was (can't be fucked to go back and look.)

9/10 it's, 'I logged in and have nothing to do, okay let's Way everyone we give a shit about, they aren't logged in, let's go do shi- oh, it's night, well fuck. Let's log out.'

You're misunderstanding my point.

In any other situation other than those 3, you can simply log out at the closed gates and wait the 30 minutes until the gates are open again.  If we allowed the gates to be open at night, it would remove a very real tactical PK danger.  Just because it's never happened to you doesn't mean it isn't actually a very important consideration.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I have gatekilled before and I'll do it again.

Both sides.

To respond to somebody, they weren't able to keep a mek out of the gates once. It started chasing people from the east gates all the way to the bazaar and was killing people there. There was an event around it, I believe, out of necessity.

So... that can happen, y'all.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Make gates open and close on a random schedule.

I too have seen a rampaging mek inside the city. It didnt get so far as the bazaar though.Jesus Christ thats a long way to get lost.