Open Allanak's Gates at Night

Started by Cind, October 09, 2017, 03:32:15 PM

daaaaaaaaaamn brokkr.

that's actually some nice info right there!

no sally port. that means no entry!
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

OR

Make a character that grows in prestige and confidence of parties that matter, and lobby IC for changes to the Arm of the Dragon's routines through IC channels.

Rather than just make a suggestion for change with the sole argument of player convenience when this has already been altered to help with the cases of OOC urgency.

If getting stuck outside the gates instills 'I'm bored' versus 'Oh shit, I'm in a dangerous and vulnerable position now', I'd say our wilderness is too tame and our attention to the importance of built in mechanics of the game is lackluster.  Timing things for the gates closing is a basic part of the outdoors lifestyle in the south.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Not to be overly combative, but "do it IC" is a piss-poor way of saying "I know this idea will never fly, so try to do it ICly where you can be shutdown there, instead of here".

Its not to lampoon staff or the game, but doing something IC went from "probably going to be a lot of work" to "only if staff give half a care to even pursue it to begin with".

I don't have a horse in either camp particularly, but being locked out of social RP for 30minutes is about similar to Jail time. You made a poor decision, the winds blew you off course, etc etc. Either camp out in the Shadow of His Wall or find someone to let you in. There's no "easy out" of jail either.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

If you think that you are important enough for the guards to take the security risk and effort, way a PC templar or soldier (or wish up). If you aren't as important as you think, expect an appropriate response.

With that said, I would like to see a script that closes the gates during a bad storm as well. When visibility is low keeping the gates open is a security risk.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I like the fact that the gates shut at night. Makes for meaningful roleplay on BOTH sides of the gate.

Quote from: valeria on October 09, 2017, 05:16:35 PM
Nah. It's enough that you can log out at the gate these days.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

QuoteNot to be overly combative, but "do it IC" is a piss-poor way of saying "I know this idea will never fly, so try to do it ICly where you can be shutdown there, instead of here".

...I actually thought the idea -would- fly if pursued IC versus as an inconvenience factor, but okay.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Push your idea with the proper funding to a City Ministry based Templar, maybe even trade but I doubt you could spin it as a 'Think of all the trade that could happen if the gates were open at night'!

Fund the hell out of the templar, bitch till they try to get staff to do something.
Either get results or staff tell the Templar to shove it.

I imagine that's how it would go. Maybe with some politics here and there as well. Get some noble houses to back it, a merchant house or two. Bada bing, bada boom.

October 11, 2017, 12:21:59 PM #34 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:00:51 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Now that there are quit-safe rooms outside the gates, the inconvenience of the gates closing at night boils down to just a few scenarios:

1)  Another player is trying to PK you

2)  An auto-tracking critter is after you

3)  You're poisoned and don't have cures on you

In other words, this isn't a matter of "convenience," it's a matter of avoiding the consequences of bad decisions.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on October 11, 2017, 12:31:35 PM
Now that there are quit-safe rooms outside the gates, the inconvenience of the gates closing at night boils down to just a few scenarios:

1)  Another player is trying to PK you

2)  An auto-tracking critter is after you

3)  You're poisoned and don't have cures on you

In other words, this isn't a matter of "convenience," it's a matter of avoiding the consequences of bad decisions.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

A hint for a smoother forum experience ...

If you have an idea, don't post it on the GDB. Put it in a request and send it in to the people who might actually make it happen.

The GDB is where ideas go to die, usually brutally murdered by your fellow players.

Quote from: Miradus on October 11, 2017, 01:33:55 PM

If you have an idea, don't post it on the GDB. Put it in a request and send it in to the people who might actually make it happen.

The GDB is where ideas go to die, usually brutally murdered by your fellow players.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on October 11, 2017, 02:13:11 PM
Quote from: Miradus on October 11, 2017, 01:33:55 PM

Murder,  corruption,  betrayal. 
#crackageddon
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Nah, I wanted you guys to find what holes there were in it. Its fun hearing the different perspectives.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

October 16, 2017, 10:35:45 AM #41 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:41:32 AM by TheGoose
Quote from: Vex on October 10, 2017, 04:58:19 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on October 10, 2017, 04:08:48 PM
The argument that it's inconvenient and not-fun has never worked for me in any of the discussions of any role-playing game with high standards.

Yeah, the whole gate thing is one of many things that make playing in Allanak a pain in the ass compared to Luir's (which is basically perfect except for the lack of renting space) or Red Storm. It honestly makes no sense, but whatever. I'm just going to continue to tell people to start in Luir's.

Edit: Yeah, I've never needed to get into the gates because someone was trying to PK me, or I was out of cures, or whatever that last improbable situation was (can't be fucked to go back and look.)

9/10 it's, 'I logged in and have nothing to do, okay let's Way everyone we give a shit about, they aren't logged in, let's go do shi- oh, it's night, well fuck. Let's log out.'

Red Storm's gates close too, though, although I guess it's more dangerous and thus possibly more exciting to be stuck outside of Red Storm than Allanak?

Quote from: sleepyhead on October 16, 2017, 10:51:37 AM
Red Storm's gates close too, though, although I guess it's more dangerous and thus possibly more exciting to be stuck outside of Red Storm than Allanak?
The constant sand storms and everything wanting to eat you is more prominent down there, I'd say.

'Don't play in Allanak.  It closes its gates at night.'

Hilarious.

Pretty much 99% of the problems with the gate closures in Allanak and Red Storm would be solved by shifting it from dusk to late at night instead. It even makes IC sense, since there is still visibility - albeit poorer - until the sun fully sets.

I don't have a problem with the script in general though. I think it's thematic and makes sense for the world.

Or at least on the tail end of dusk instead of at the beginning.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

What if the gates closed at a random time between the middle of late afternoon and the middle of late at night?
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Cind on October 16, 2017, 02:18:19 PM
What if the gates closed at a random time between the middle of late afternoon and the middle of late at night?

"Screw it guys. Who wants to just close the gates and go get a drink?"
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

How about just removing the completely unplayable novision condition that comes with the combination of darkness and storms, so you would have something to do when stuck outside in the dark.