Crafting Difficulty

Started by Riev, October 05, 2017, 09:28:09 AM

I'm not expecting actual numbers or anything, but does anyone feel like the "Easy" and "Effortless" crafts fail far too often?

I crafted three things recently, one "Easy" and two "Effortless". In a skill I'm mastered in. With a tool related to the skill. All three failed.

I'm not saying the expectation is to never fail, but do the descriptors seem a bit... 'off' to anyone else?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I concur.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Me three. Though, RNG gonna RNG.

Quote from: Delirium on October 05, 2017, 11:11:33 AM
Me three. Though, RNG gonna RNG.

Yeah, and I've never been one to be blessed by the RNGesus, usually SDSatan makes sure I'm the shining example of bad rolls.

It just seems that, at least for some skills, they are on the higher end of Easy. It could be just me, or I could be crafting without facing east at 10pm while the green moon is in orbit while sitting on a plush or higher couch. I don't know.

I'm glad to know its not just me. Being a Masterful crafter in a skill, and crafting something easy or effortless, to me, is a bit of a letdown when you fail 3/5 times.

I swear to god it's like a fucking curse sometimes.

Cooking something that is easy or effortless?

Get five fails in a row

Do the same craft like four hours later?

Can't fail if I tried.

I don't get it.

I don't know how much I can say without breaching IC to OOC stuff, but... I've had characters with mastered crafts, holding tools that help their crafts, and crafting an effortless or easy item... Fail about a third of the time they're trying.
Lizard time.

you guys are failing just because you actually want to succeed in this craft.

Basically, before you begin crafting something you gotta think to yourself IRL, "I hope this skill will fail soon, before I burn through too many resources. I need that fail to skill up"

And that's it. That skill will not fail for the next week.

Quote from: Dar on October 06, 2017, 01:26:26 AM
you guys are failing just because you actually want to succeed in this craft.

Basically, before you begin crafting something you gotta think to yourself IRL, "I hope this skill will fail soon, before I burn through too many resources. I need that fail to skill up"

And that's it. That skill will not fail for the next week.

This. When I played a character with decent wisdom (Not high but above human average) I could make easy/effortless arrows with tools and fail 1 out of 20 crafts.

I have some easy crafts I've been trying to fail for something like 20+ attempts now.  It's probably rnjeezus having at you.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Was it brew? Brew difficulty is fucking ridic. Hope your recipes don't depend on hard-to-get plants.

Quote from: TheGoose on October 06, 2017, 01:18:11 PM
Was it brew? Brew difficulty is fucking ridic. Hope your recipes don't depend on hard-to-get plants.

Lets just say.. resources will always be an issue. :3

It was not brew, and it was a skill I ASSUME goes up to the same skill level as others. At first I was thinking "If everything goes to 100, but this skill goes to 70, then "master" isn't the same level, and "easy" would be comparatively more difficult". Now I think its just more that "Easy" is a range from 10-25% failure rate, and some recipes are on the higher or lower end of that range.

My brain interprets "manageable" difficulty as "medium", which makes me think 50% failure rate, but...I swear it's more like 70%.

If you're crafting grebbed stuff, one success in a few attempts is a nice, saleable bonus.  But if you're paying for your materials?  Whira help you.

Especially if the final product is priced just slightly higher (or lower) than the ingredients.

Full price ingredients x 3 attempts = ~9x the final item sale price (to NPCs)

But that being said, we all know there's no such thing as a poor master crafter, so it pays off in the end to invest in those skills.  I'd say the system can be crazy frustrating at times, but it's not broken.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Dar is correct, they never fail when you want them to, they fail when you're using materials you can't replace to try to make a gift basket for a friend.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Quote from: Grapes on October 06, 2017, 03:34:44 PM
Dar is correct, they never fail when you want them to, they fail when you're using materials you can't replace to try to make a gift basket for a friend.

Fourth attempt at creating something "Effortless" out of that skill set today.

Fourth fail.

October 06, 2017, 05:04:48 PM #14 Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:07:37 PM by Grapes
Quote from: Riev on October 06, 2017, 03:38:44 PM
Quote from: Grapes on October 06, 2017, 03:34:44 PM

Fourth attempt at creating something "Effortless" out of that skill set today.

Fourth fail.

Your tears must be delicious, please continue to sate Ginka with them. Seriously, tell yourself, "I need this fail to skill up." and you'll rarely ever fail. It sounds mystical, but it works.

EDIT: Alternately, you could try prioritizing your stats, but that's not very helpful right now, is it?
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Its fine. Its fine.

I got all my successes making really important stuff, like cooked steaks.

Crafting is kind of strange. I was once told to expect to fail constantly trying to craft stone at any level. I swear that jewelry seems easier.

I don't know if its my stats, but cooking seems a little easier than it used to be.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Riev on October 06, 2017, 06:46:03 PM
Its fine. Its fine.

I got all my successes making really important stuff, like cooked steaks.

those steaks will save you when a mekillot comes charging.

just drop them all and run like hell.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

I feel like anything listed at effortless should be like <5% chance at failure, myself.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I wind up blaming all of my fails when at master level skill on faulty materials.

QuoteFeeling annoyed, you think:
"You know, if those asshole hunters knew how to trim a hide properly, it wouldn't be falling apart right now!"

Quote from: Draechen on October 09, 2017, 09:50:48 AM
I wind up blaming all of my fails when at master level skill on faulty materials.

QuoteFeeling annoyed, you think:
"You know, if those asshole hunters knew how to trim a hide properly, it wouldn't be falling apart right now!"

ICly I come up with a lot of reasons why, and its usually because of poor hide acquisition.

Its just... like if you're a master tailor, and you've been sewing, hemming, and embroidering pants your whole life, and suddenly you critically fail on like 4 pairs of pants that are "effortless" for you to make... it gets frustrating.

No more crafting while drunk.

Agreed. I don't mean to belittle anyone else's experience, just today I had my own mini-rage moment with crafting. I just hadn't seen any IC answers to cover the problem yet.

There's an IC explanation, more than likely, but nobody believes it when you tell them.

Pay attention to EVERY bit of information or data the game gives you, and study it out.

If I have something that I -need- to succeed, there's a very specific set of circumstances that I religiously avoid, because I've noticed a certain pattern.  But, I mean...I can't get any more specific than that, because if Staff wanted everyone to know about it, they probably would've just come out and said it by now.

<on head> a tinfoil hat
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Does encumbrance play a large role in success?

Quote from: redkank on November 10, 2017, 04:48:33 PM
Does encumbrance play a large role in success?

No.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"