Author Topic: Custom-craft formatting  (Read 175 times)

Grapes

Custom-craft formatting
« on: September 27, 2017, 07:07:01 PM »
Hi! I was just wondering if I could get some guidelines for desc-writing for custom-crafts. What are the do's and don't's that could possibly ease staff workload to consider when formatting a mastercraft? Is it like making a description in char-gen, where only lines of a certain number of characters are acceptable, and subject to manual formatting? Would it be preferable to have a carriage return for each time a sentence would incur auto wrap-around? Or just to send in a big paragraph?

Also, may I please know the preferred character limit of the sdesc? All of these things would help me, as well as others, keep from burdening staff who have other awesome things to be doing with their time. I'm currently working on a custom craft and I'd like it to not be a considerable burden.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Melanogaster

• Storyteller
Re: Custom-craft formatting
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »
Thank you for asking!

The same line-length rule (80 characters) applies to basically everything in game.  It's very helpful if you pre-format everything with that in mind.

I don't know if there's a limit on sdesc length.  That said, if your sdesc is long enough you're worried about a character limit, it's probably waaaaay too long.

I can't think of anything else.  Other staff might chime in, though!

seidhr

• Administrator
Re: Custom-craft formatting
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 11:00:25 PM »
sdesc
- I believe it's 35 characters

main desc
- 80 characters a line.  Generally no more than a few lines of text is appropriate.  If you find yourself exceeding say... 4 lines, you are probably writing too much.  There is no reason to write giant walls of text when describing items.
- As for the formatting, oftentimes we just do a ".f" (you guys can do this too) on a blank line to format it as the game would.  If you format it nicely, roughly (and no more than) 80 characters a line, we'll probably use that.

easing staff workload
- Just double or triple check your punctuation, grammar, and spelling.
- Also, please do not submit a customcraft every first chance you get to do one, like clockwork - every 30 days, just because you "can."

...Those two things are honestly the biggest offenders.  Poor quality items (we don't like to reject them outright but if it's really terrible, by god, I'll do it!) and people filling the pipeline with ego items.