Author Topic: on religion  (Read 1092 times)

650Booger

on religion
« on: September 20, 2017, 02:38:06 AM »
Hey folks!  is it okay to worship gods other than, of course, the Dragon?  For example, can a PC worship Drov, or suk-krath?  and I don't necessarily mean a gicker PC, just a regular old Amos.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Re: on religion
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:42:24 AM »
Folk can worship whatever the hell they want, as far as I know. They can worship the sands, the sky, a random brick they found, a lucky penny. But those with an Allanaki heritage (or knowledge of it) should know rather innately that being /seen/ worshipping those things instead of the Dragon (or rather, actively NOT worshipping the Dragon around others when they do, consistently) would likely lead to big, big trouble.
It's always lizard time.

The Desert Bloom is a Greggs, tbh.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »
Worshiping the elements would be seen as highly suspicious to any proper magick-fearing citizenry.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Jihelu

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:27:17 AM »
Regular Amos either fears, revers, or doesn't fuck around with the Highlord

He may or may not even believe or give a shit about the Highlord, but one can doubt his existence less so than worshiping Drov when you are in his city.

ShaLeah

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »
Remember that Templar leading His people outside for daily devotions?
Remember those temples in the city?

What do YOU think is expected of an Allanaki?

Outside the city is a different Kruth game. Documented tribes have their deities. 

I would think that in a desolate, post apocalyptic planet everyone not a psycho/sociopath (re: normal) needs .
Quote from: Oryx
Shal is on point.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.
Quote from: Anonymous
this doesn't sound very fun, shal
Quote from: Anonymous
You didn't store did you
Because.. I lurve you.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 07:49:22 AM »
Once upon a time, I had a character to worshiped an ox that her family stumbled on in the sewers.  People can worship whatever the heck they wanted, but that character was the kind that ran from templars.  And of course there are the tribes that worship various other things.

Go for it.  Worship whatever the heck you want.  If you do it in Allanak, it's probably heresy, but sometimes it can be fun to live on the edge.

650Booger

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 04:29:35 PM »
What would various zalanthan factions believe in terms of an imperishable soul, the afterlife, or reincarnation.  Do these concepts exist?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

LucildaHunta

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 04:43:15 PM »
You’re most likely to find concepts like reincarnation and the afterlife the farther you move away from “civilization”. There are some interesting spins on those concepts.
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

Lizzie

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 04:48:19 PM »
I don't think those would be "common" concepts. Tribals aren't "commoners" - they're a very specific, exclusive faction of the planet's population. The average Amos would not give any particular thought to "what happens when we die, mommy?" Not that they'd have "no" belief, but rather that they wouldn't ponder whether they have it or not, unless something triggered such ponderance (such as a tribal introducing them to the concept - and giving them reason to explore what they think about it, themselves).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Miradus

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 04:52:08 PM »

I'm just going to leave this here ...

http://worlds.wikidot.com/religion

(From the Dark Sun wiki)

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 04:53:10 PM »
Considering one of the first things that happened in human society once we evolved brains was a concept of deities and the afterlife, I think rather it's perfectly fine to think "what happens when I die?" even if the answer is "I go back to the dust and nothingness".
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

roughneck

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 06:03:02 PM »
With all the documentation we have to work with, I love that there is very little to do with religion and beliefs. It's still a blank canvas for the players. Religious characters can be tremendously fun.

Just do me a favour. If you make a religion, please make it a cruel, oppressive, Zalanthan  one. No redemptive bullshit.

Veselka

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 06:05:19 PM »
I also would think there are/would be more 'cults' in Zalanthas...Deified sort of charismatic self-proclaimed deities, whether they be actual Magickers or just nutjob Commoners/Nobles.

"Don't attach yourself to your own possessions and give them to me...I will put'm to good use. Serving the cause. Vennant's Cause...Tek'll swoop down on his Dragon, I saw'r it in a dream, a prophecy...He's gonna save us all but burn the world to glass..."
The progress of greatness is tampered with by the inadequacy of mediocrity.

Hauwke

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 10:56:07 PM »
If I ever make a religion IG, I expect to be killed. But!

I also will make it as badass a religion as possible.
Oh, you wanted to eat that scrab steak? Nope, scrabs are filthy and must not be eaten, but they must also be purged from this world! You must eat that elf over there instead, they are far easier game.

solera

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 12:45:47 AM »
"Where did Mummy go?"
"When's she coming back?"

"WHY!?"

"Why me?"

tapas

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 09:32:46 AM »
Religion in Zalanthas still has the same problem.

Its still viewed in the hyper-modern, hyper-western light that most people in todays day and age view it.

But from a traditional perspective, "religion" is so ingrained in what you do that the very idea that you could separate out "religious" activities from your daily life is virtually alien.

From that perspective it's kind of laughable that Tektolnes has apparantly stomped out all religious observance.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:38:03 AM by tapas »

Miradus

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »

I think the doings there are a lot more OOC than IC.

In Allanak, you REALLY don't want to stand out too much as an oddball. That's when you get picked up by the Arm, or killed by rinthis, Templars, or some noble's assassin aide.

It's also a huge den of tavern sitters who are just waiting for a new guy to ostracize, so it seems to me that people tend to lay low until they're part of something and have some protection. Inventing undocumented religious observances, sayings, or methods kind of flies counter to it. That's why the most religion I ever see in Allanak is someone rushing off to devotions.

But if you want to see some religious observance played out in documented fashion, and expanded upon, join the Arabet or the Soh. It's sort of an animist religion in the tribes, but some of the players really expand on it and do it well. Based on organic character growth from individuals who have played in those groups in the past.

Veselka

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 12:10:53 PM »

I think the doings there are a lot more OOC than IC.

In Allanak, you REALLY don't want to stand out too much as an oddball. That's when you get picked up by the Arm, or killed by rinthis, Templars, or some noble's assassin aide.

It's also a huge den of tavern sitters who are just waiting for a new guy to ostracize, so it seems to me that people tend to lay low until they're part of something and have some protection. Inventing undocumented religious observances, sayings, or methods kind of flies counter to it. That's why the most religion I ever see in Allanak is someone rushing off to devotions.

But if you want to see some religious observance played out in documented fashion, and expanded upon, join the Arabet or the Soh. It's sort of an animist religion in the tribes, but some of the players really expand on it and do it well. Based on organic character growth from individuals who have played in those groups in the past.

Agreed. Religion in Allanak seems more like the ingrained Hinduism, that is inseparable from the culture of the people living there. The Dragon reigns supreme, everyone says His Shadow, but there's very little ritual or anything like that, except for maybe what Templars do (I wouldn't know). The Arabet/Seik/Tribals in general seem to have a much more animist/spiritual approach to the world, so if that's what you want to get out of the game, that's the place to go get it.

Otherwise, I prefer my Zalanthas as Godless.
The progress of greatness is tampered with by the inadequacy of mediocrity.

sleepyhead

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 12:46:24 PM »
But if you want to see some religious observance played out in documented fashion, and expanded upon, join the Arabet or the Soh.

No love for my buddies the al'Seik? They've got to be some of the most religious mofos in the Known.

nauta

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 01:17:17 PM »
Yeah, what about the Sun Runners!  All the coded tribes have really cool sections in their documentation on religious/spiritual beliefs.  I'd love even a minimal sketch of spiritual/religious beliefs in Allanak, even if it is just really vague and open, or even if it is just a whole bunch of 'no it is not': no it is not an organized religion with rites, etc.

At the end of the day, I view Allanaki religion as similar to ancient Rome: Caesar is the God-King and most citizens lean towards athiesm/stoicism of the Epictetus variety, at least as the state sponsored forms, although even the Romans had their augers and their temples and their rituals.  It'd be cool to have a culture in Zalanthas that goes full Confuscianism: legal rituals and all that.

The other thing about being a citizen in Allanak is that you might well be descended from, say, Arabeti or some tribe, and still retain some family practices and beliefs as a result.  That's a fun conceptual place to play in.

Also more cults! Wandering ministers soothsaying about the endtimes.  Random saviors emerging to free the population from its shackles.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Miradus

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »

I've never really been part of the Seik or Sun Runners so I don't know. :) I've seen their docs and it's really fleshed out but I haven't witnessed a lot of gameplay there. The Seik are kind of secretive about things except amongst each other and the Sun Runners ... well ... the limit of my involvement there is the occasional "an arrow flies in from the west."

Chettaman

• Helper
    • Facebook!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 09:11:24 PM »
RED FANGS!!!!!!!

Totally okay to roleplay worshiping other gods. (at least I haven't been struck down yet)

I think the lack of religious roleplay is a result of the environment we believe we roleplay living in. For example, Tekltones is our god. We bow to him and his servants and there is no other way or you die. There is no hope. So, the people believe in nothing because ''there is no hope''.
But they are ''trained'' and forced to support something, not to believe in something. And this, while we are real people only roleplaying, affects us OOCly since we didn't roleplay every moment of our character's existence. We didn't suffer and we didn't get consoled by friends or relatives and we weren't taught "family rituals" if you will, or even common rituals; like waking up, using the bathroom, brushing the teeth, showering the body, eating the breakfast.
People in game aren't likely to ritualistically do anything but grind.

But uh... religion, dood, isn't about Gods or a god. It's about rituals and giving thanks and respect to an idea, not specifically a person or being.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:26:36 PM by Chettaman »
Live like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 12:15:07 PM »
Playing out some delusion about a god or spirituality or something is fine.  Just don't expect to ever find out what, if anything, the "truth" is.

As for Allanak currently, belief in the Highlord isn't like some modern religion, with a certain set of rituals, a church and whatnot build around some idea of afterlife or piety or sin or humbleness.  It really isn't even about belief, it is about obedience and where one's place is, with the Highlord at the top.

Riev

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 01:16:54 PM »
Playing out some delusion about a god or spirituality or something is fine.  Just don't expect to ever find out what, if anything, the "truth" is.

As for Allanak currently, belief in the Highlord isn't like some modern religion, with a certain set of rituals, a church and whatnot build around some idea of afterlife or piety or sin or humbleness.  It really isn't even about belief, it is about obedience and where one's place is, with the Highlord at the top.

That said, how many go to Morning Devotions? How many give thanks to the Highlord at the Water Temple? The Dome?

Is there any like... centralized "You will go here and give your thanks for being alive and cared for"? Are there only dozens outside every morning at Devotions? Are there hundreds?
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Miradus

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 01:51:53 PM »

Riev, I've always played out the Allanaki religion as being less obvious than that.

It's more like Hindus following the caste system. The God-King ordered the universe and you demonstrate worship of him by working in that order.

Peasants stay peasants, nobles do noble things, thieves do thiefy things. That's the social order the God-King prescribed, and you demonstrate obedience to him by staying in that social order. Not wearing silk if you're not a noble, or honoring any of the countless other traditions that seem to get glossed over in Allanak. Bow to a Templar? You're showing worship.

The outrage you should be demonstrating at the breaking (or more typically, the ignoring) of these traditions IS your worship of the Highlord.

That said, the !FUN! in Arm centers around rulebreakers and trope-setters. Since I've seen you in-game, Riev, and come across your handiwork more than once, I know that you revel in breaking form and that people naturally gravitate towards you when you do. Players know when someone is going to be involved in something interesting and they want to attach themselves to it in some way.