Author Topic: Gladiators - how the heck do outsiders treat them?  (Read 357 times)

azuriolinist

Gladiators - how the heck do outsiders treat them?
« on: September 16, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »
So, I'm stumped on ideas and I wanted to bring this topic up to see a general (perhaps agreed upon) opinion.

I realize that Reigning Gladiators are basically celebrities of Allanak. These are people (i.e., slaves) the populace has watched survive and win on the Arena sands multiple times over to gain the title of 'Reigning'.

On the other hand, what would a 'rinther who's never stepped out of the alleys see a Gladiator as, if they recognize a Gladiator at all? What about a battle-hardened veteran? Or the common tribal? While I agree with rolling with the concept of the Gladiators, and have done so, I'd like some ideas on exploring the grey areas without coming off as if I were on a high horse.

edit: obviously, I need sleep. Didn't notice the other thread on how to treat gladiators. Clarifying the title.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:08:17 PM by azuriolinist »

nauta

Re: Reactions to a Gladiator
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 01:06:22 PM »
So, I'm stumped on ideas and I wanted to bring this topic up to see a general (perhaps agreed upon) opinion.

I realize that Reigning Gladiators are basically celebrities of Allanak. These are people (i.e., slaves) the populace has watched survive and win on the Arena sands multiple times over to gain the title of 'Reigning'.

On the other hand, what would a 'rinther who's never stepped out of the alleys see a Gladiator as, if they recognize a Gladiator at all? What about a battle-hardened veteran? Or the common tribal? While I agree with rolling with the concept of the Gladiators, and have done so, I'd like some ideas on exploring the grey areas without coming off as if I were on a high horse.

I'm not sure, since they are grey areas.  However, I'd go with this (which isn't too helpful):

1. Rinther - I tend to play my rinthers on a scale from completely cut off from cultural life in Allanak (like tribals) to being basically regular southside citizens who just live on the wrong side of town.  So.  It depends.

2. A battle-hardened veteran (who is a Nakki citizen) would still treat gladiators as celebrities, who bring good luck, etc. etc., as per the docs.

3. Tribal - Again, like my rinthers, I play tribals on a degree: some have never heard of Tek before on up to those who basically are just Allanaki citizens with funny accents.

All that said, the one thing I would do is if I play someone who doesn't treat gladiators in accord with the docs (i.e. ignorant of them or even disdainful of them), I'd make sure I try to include the virtual world to remind others (esp. newbies) that I'm working outside the docs here.  So, sure you can get away telling a PC that Gladiator Tom is a schmuck at the Gaj.  But all those NPCs and vNPCs will probably punch you in the face.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Classclown

Re: Gladiators - how the heck do outsiders treat them?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
I would think most rinthers, or even tribals, would appreciate someone who spills blood in such spectacularly impressive ways. I guess if your ma was a criminal/tribal/northerner killed by a gladiator that one time, you might have different feelings.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:14:53 PM by Classclown »

In Dreams

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »
Imagine you arrived in a foreign land and even if you know very little of what else is going on, it's clear there's a handful of people who:

1 - ...can freely break all kinds of social norms, often transcend social strata, and be loved and celebrated for it, being showered with gifts and praise wherever they go.
2 - ...are probably capable of murdering everyone in sight with a kitchen knife.

Everyone will react differently because everyone is different! But I imagine most would be awed, just in a different way than locals are.

Jihelu

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 08:57:07 PM »
This is a question that could have pages of pages of answers for it but most of them would boil down to
"Each culture has it's own ideals that would conflict with or praise Gladiators"

Example:
Tribal character that values strength over all else?
Would probably think Gladiators are cool

Tribal character that believes in the lives of all beings?
Probably thinks they suck.

Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

There is no good 'general' idea for gladiators outside of the Nakki norm of 'they are celebrities'
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

azuriolinist

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 01:10:21 AM »
There is no good 'general' idea for gladiators outside of the Nakki norm of 'they are celebrities'

True. What I was meaning to ask for was different people's ideas in interacting with gladiators, as an outsider PC or somesuch.

Thanks for the answers! I like your idea of incorporating the virtual population, nauta. At least, to onlookers, it's made clear what the status of a gladiator is, even if your own PC seems to not acknowledge such.

Tuannon

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:48:16 AM »
I think a 'surviving' gladiator, a gladiator who doesn't win every match but survives through grit, entertainment or just because he or she is part of the correct stable is a more fun role than an anointed champion who wins a few high visibility matches and then is never heard from again.

They also make for more fun PCs. My longest running role was one of these types.

(Edit)

To the point though, using said gladiator as an example he used to be respected by the Byn, typically more by the Sergeants. He had a good rapport with half giants though, which was wierd considering he considered them all children.

Rinthers spoke to him, but he never had any coin because he was a gladiator and didn't buy drinks or what have you, he also didn't talk about House business either. I'm looking at you Serpent.

Some nobles liked him, some didn't. He was Borsail owned initially under Ceylara Borsail (Ale Six's Ceylara, not the later namesake) and then moved to being owned by Warlord Kharad Tor. He was unfailingly formal and polite with all of them though, because well trained.

I do feel however that I didn't do a great job of that role and a lot of things I could have done better in hindsight, but I think the same about all my roles.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:53:36 AM by Tuannon »

azuriolinist

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 01:44:13 AM »
As long as you're having fun and bringing fun to the game, I'd think you're doing just fine.

I can see such a gladiator being not just awed over, but respected -- especially by those experienced in combat. That's a neat perspective to look at it from, on how a weathered combatant might interact with gladiators.