Weapons in your inventory

Started by nauta, September 12, 2017, 12:59:38 PM

Quote from: TheGoose on September 18, 2017, 03:39:24 PM
Gonna just point out that these 'solutions' seem to make problems where there were none.

This sums up these forums, in an easy to understand sentence.
"Mortals do drown so."

What I feel like the only real problem I've seen in this thread is:
People can pick up weapons that were disarmed very fast. Though there is an attack of opportunity, it's still a bit fast.

How would this be fixed?

Make the chance to hit them greater or make the person have a lag on picking things up, but not for actions like drawing weapons.

Or just don't fix it, they still get a chance to hit them.

Disarm is, I think, the most powerful skill in a warriors repertoire.

It takes one, maybe two, disarms, for my warrior to decimate an opponent, because of how the code treats people who are unarmed during combat. If there were even more penalties imposed on the victim, it would be completely untenable, in a permadeath game running H&S combat mechanics.
"Mortals do drown so."

Thats only applicable if your guy even manages to swing while the guy is disarmed. Which wont take long for them to pick it up. And even then, most hits dont do nearly enough damage to matter for the single attack of opportunity. (unless its a mul/strong dwarf or halfgiant obviously.)

I've had attacks of opportunity wound and even knock out characters who otherwise would have decimated their opponents. I think it's fine as it is, and reporting folk who end up carrying 50 weapons is still an option.
Lizard time.

Quote from: Vex on September 24, 2017, 05:25:32 PM
Quote from: TheGoose on September 18, 2017, 03:39:24 PM
Gonna just point out that these 'solutions' seem to make problems where there were none.

This sums up these forums, in an easy to understand sentence.

Code Discussion
Great place to suggest code ideas, provide feedback on changes, or ask questions.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Agreed, disarm is already pretty brutal, and when the super-gith RNG abomination creeps up on you, or Dumb F--in' Runner the RNG gods blessed with confounding strength and dexterity in the sparring ring, you tend to discover just how much.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

September 26, 2017, 02:11:45 PM #57 Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:16:13 PM by Harmless
I can understand a distaste of small tweaks to a system that already works pretty well, but I have thought for a long while that sheathes and the like really only carry a cosmetic quality without many coded bonuses (exceptions palming knives from sheaths with appropriate skill), and it irked me that I can just carry my 2-handed weapons in my inventory and easily, with no apparent penalty, swap to the next one with my high-strength warriors and just be wielding another full-sized weapon off the bat. Of course I never really did this, but I DID do it with a shield, which was weird. Why can't I 'draw' my shield from my back?
Maybe I should be able to, but get a AO penalty. Or maybe holding your shield from inventory should cost an AO. Otherwise, it codedly benefits you to hold a shield in your inventory, which just doesn't seem right when I'm sure people just wore the fucking things on a strap or on their back.

If something irks me, it's generally because I don't think it meets my expectations for an immersive gaming experience. Things don't have to be realistic, but they should have logic to them, and I like combat most when every decision made has pros and cons. Finding out that the code better supports you if you do X every time is usually not a very interesting code mechanic.

Therefore I still like the idea of penalizing equipping items from inventory, be it with an AO or a greater delay or whatever is felt is most balanced by staff. I want wearing my weapons in sheaths and straps as well as on my belt to be useful.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

September 26, 2017, 02:45:09 PM #58 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:02:08 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but limiting weapon carrying to open hands would make playing a Salarri/crafter/merchant/sergeant/anyone-who-wants-the-barracks-to-stay-neat very difficult.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Harmless on September 26, 2017, 02:11:45 PM
II can just carry my 2-handed weapons in my inventory and easily, with no apparent penalty, swap to the next one with my high-strength warriors and just be wielding another full-sized weapon off the bat.

In my experience items in inventory incur a higher weight penalty than those equiped/in equiped sheaths.

Although for my higher strength characters, the penalty was marginal.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on September 27, 2017, 04:27:14 PM
Quote from: Harmless on September 26, 2017, 02:11:45 PM
II can just carry my 2-handed weapons in my inventory and easily, with no apparent penalty, swap to the next one with my high-strength warriors and just be wielding another full-sized weapon off the bat.

In my experience items in inventory incur a higher weight penalty than those equiped/in equiped sheaths.

Although for my higher strength characters, the penalty was marginal.

Especially considering the game doesn't care about 20 stone vs 30 stone, unless it brings you to a different encumbrance category.

Would people be complaining if there was code that called the "not while fighting" when trying to wield/ep/es/hold anything while fighting? Would THAT be going too far?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Molten Heart on September 26, 2017, 02:45:09 PM
I'm okay with people wielding things from their inventory. It shouldn't be the standard but sometimes it's the best way because the coders don't think of everything. Sometimes rather than making the code define every aspect of the game it's fun to be allowed to use our own creativity to do things the coders may not have thought of and allowed for.

If a problem situation arises where abuse is involved, I'm okay with referring it to staff trough a player complaint or what have you, so staff can handle the situation to the level staff feels is appropriate.

Hey, I know this is a RPI, and I love arm still despite..well, RL mainly becoming a problem for its proper enjoyment, but I like to discuss possible improvements to all the code in the game. Moreover, having played combative roles so many times, it is more enjoyable as the system is modified and tweaked. I have generally appreciated the many tweaks to combat code that have been made, some of which did come up in discussion here before being modified. I have no huge investment in this particular change, really, because as is the combat system has worked well for years and still does. I like sharing my two sids for what they're worth.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

... uh, why not just add the same delay for ep/es weapon as you do for drawing it? The code knows whether its a weapon or not.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870