Weapons in your inventory

Started by nauta, September 12, 2017, 12:59:38 PM

September 12, 2017, 12:59:38 PM Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 01:21:26 PM by nauta
So, this is a code discussion, but I want to first put it out there that this isn't an RP police type of thing.  I do feel that we shouldn't be (codedly) able to have a weapon in our inventory, but I think this is for gameplay reasons, not RP reasons -- the inventory is a mysterious thing, and you can RP stuff in your inventory as hanging off a belt or tied to a string or tucked under an arm or however you please.

Now I haven't thought through the coded implications of all this, which is why I'm tossing it out to folks for criticism / thoughts on it.

So the suggestion: Disable the ability to have weapons in your inventory. Anything that is a weapon type.  If you 'get' a weapon, you'll have to have one hand free to do so, and it'll automatically equip to that hand.

Why?

1. Disarm and combat.  When you disarm someone in combat, they have to actually reach down and get the weapon again which costs them a combat round, or draw a new one (sheathed or on their belt). 

2. Hiding a weapon in plain sight.  If they can store weapons in their inventory, this would mean that they can just have extra weapons on their inventory which you can't 'see' with the 'look' command.

I really like that removing a weapon 'drops' it during combat, thus costing you an extra round to recover it.  I think this creates a much more exciting and dynamic combat system.

Thoughts?

ETA:

'rs' and 'rp' also should behave just like 'remove': it drops the weapon if you are in combat.  You should have to use the sheath command to change weapons.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Having to "draw" a weapon attaches a bit of coded lag to it specifically to address the time it takes to ready a weapon.

"ep" from inventory takes 0 lag time in any way.

That's all I have to contribute.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I've RP'd a sap as up my sleeve before while it was in my inventory, to account for it being non-visible and readily accessible.

Also for the hiding weapons in inventory I never had a problem with. Maybe they have a sheath between their shoulder blades with a dagger under their shirt, or up a sleeve. There is a skill for identifying things hidden in the inventory, so there is counter play.

I agree 100% for 2 handed weapons though.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: Riev on September 12, 2017, 01:13:41 PM
Having to "draw" a weapon attaches a bit of coded lag to it specifically to address the time it takes to ready a weapon.

"ep" from inventory takes 0 lag time in any way.

That's all I have to contribute.

Definitely, ep and es should give a lag just like draw.

Actually, this suggests a much better way to implement the idea: if you are in combat, you can't es or ep, period.  The only way to equip a weapon into your hand while in combat is to draw it or get it (adding code to force get to automatically equip the weapon --- otherwise disarm would be deadly).

Slightly related: I haven't ever really noticed a lag to 'draw' and I used to think that there was a further lag to draw while you have your cloak closed, but I haven't noticed one either.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

There is a lag to draw. There is also a slight lag to ep and es.

If you feel that a specific player is abusing the code somehow, then I suggest you submit a player complaint.

Quote from: lostinspace on September 12, 2017, 01:29:59 PM
There is a skill for identifying things hidden in the inventory, so there is counter play.

Especially when they get you with the INHUMAN REACTIONS. /LoL

Being able to view someone's inventory is a potential way to balance it out, but I've definitely noticed in terms of lag its:

ep < draw < draw with closed cloak

The lag isn't SIGNIFICANT even with a closed cloak, its about 4-5 seconds.

Quote from: Riev on September 12, 2017, 02:10:30 PM
Quote from: lostinspace on September 12, 2017, 01:29:59 PM
There is a skill for identifying things hidden in the inventory, so there is counter play.

Especially when they get you with the INHUMAN REACTIONS. /LoL

Being able to view someone's inventory is a potential way to balance it out, but I've definitely noticed in terms of lag its:

Not sure I follow.
3/21/16 Never Forget

I don't hear the term "Counter Play" so often as I hear it in people talking about League of Legends. "OH MAN THATS SO UNBALANCED THERE IS NO COUNTER PLAY".

The skill that lets you view someone else's inventory (or a portion of it) isn't really a "counter play" to someone holding a weapon in their inventory, because there may be nothing you can do about it

Ah, haven't played League since college, probably why I was confused. At the very least seeing the weapnn in their inventory lets you know it's there. If you know they have items in their inventory, I'm not sure how it differs from knowing they have weapons on their belt.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Especially considering that TYPICALLY, the ones who can relieve you of the weapons in your hand, aren't often capable of relieving them from your belt.

I find it annoying, when you disarm someone, and they instantly have the weapon in their hand again, because being disarmed has no lag, simply adding a few seconds of delay, longer than disarm-doing delay would be nice to balance out the fact very few people I have played with, pause to emote grabbing their weapon, and even when they do, most people do it after rewielding. As it currently stands, disarming someone just about penalizes the person who disarms.

Quote from: Hauwke on September 12, 2017, 05:16:25 PM
As it currently stands, disarming someone just about penalizes the person who disarms.

unless you play the dirty trick of disarming and immediately grabbing the opponents weapon off the floor yourself.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on September 12, 2017, 05:32:01 PM
Quote from: Hauwke on September 12, 2017, 05:16:25 PM
As it currently stands, disarming someone just about penalizes the person who disarms.

unless you play the dirty trick of disarming and immediately grabbing the opponents weapon off the floor yourself.
Follow it up with junking the weapon.

The lag is too great to do that on the disarmer side. Ive even emoted having grabbed the weapon out of the persons hand to disarm the person and still had folks pick up their weapon.

On a funny side, junking their weapon would be funny, could emote standing on it.

You can also disarm someone's weapon into another room, that prevents them from picking it up immediately.

3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on September 12, 2017, 05:54:16 PM
You can also disarm someone's weapon into another room, that prevents them from picking it up immediately.

noob here... you can?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on September 12, 2017, 07:45:36 PM
Quote from: lostinspace on September 12, 2017, 05:54:16 PM

noob here... you can?
Yes. It rarely happens at lower levels, and may be tied to strength (I think).
It's like how at high levels you can counter disarm.

Its one of those rare things that happens to people who do not have the skill, in order to counter it. Reversing kicks, bashes, etc etc

However, the disarmer can't pick up the opponent's dropped weapon in time, most of the time.

At least if the opponent has to circle around to get their weapon, you can get in an Attack of Opportunity.

I think an easier solution to this, is to attach a extra attack for your opponent if you attempt to draw, ep hammer, chan h ep es, etc., rather than making it so that the inventory has to be reworked to not allow any weapons. That would get complicated, when foraging for rocks.

You can see things in people's inventory with 'peek.'  You can see the weapon itself without any need to put in commands at all if it's heavy.  Where might they have it if it's not in actively being held?

The same place we have anything that we aren't actively 'ep' or 'es'ing.  Tucked in with an elbow under the fold of a cloak, setting on their lap under a table, on top of their head.  Things already encumber you more if you wander around with them in your inventory so you're already taking one coded penalty.  I agree that if you think that a specific player is abusing weapons somehow.  A change so that you can have anything in your inventory other than weapons seems bizarre. 

But here's one for you: how about having a character drop everything in their inventory when they're attacked.  Help inventory describes these items as "in your hands" and it doesn't make much sense to have things in your hands when you're fighting for your life.  Then someone has to bend down to pick up whatever before they run, suffering the attack of opportunity.  I would be more happy with this than some rule that you can carry anything else anywhere you want except weapons for... some reason.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on September 13, 2017, 08:08:44 AM
You can see things in people's inventory with 'peek.'  You can see the weapon itself without any need to put in commands at all if it's heavy.  Where might they have it if it's not in actively being held?

The same place we have anything that we aren't actively 'ep' or 'es'ing.  Tucked in with an elbow under the fold of a cloak, setting on their lap under a table, on top of their head.  Things already encumber you more if you wander around with them in your inventory so you're already taking one coded penalty.  I agree that if you think that a specific player is abusing weapons somehow.  A change so that you can have anything in your inventory other than weapons seems bizarre. 

But here's one for you: how about having a character drop everything in their inventory when they're attacked.  Help inventory describes these items as "in your hands" and it doesn't make much sense to have things in your hands when you're fighting for your life.  Then someone has to bend down to pick up whatever before they run, suffering the attack of opportunity.  I would be more happy with this than some rule that you can carry anything else anywhere you want except weapons for... some reason.

I really like this - and had once wondered why it wasn't the case, years ago. If you have something loose in your inventory and engage in combat, you drop whatever is loose. Possible arguments against:
1) NPC that auto-takes anything on the ground.
Solution: Stop carrying stuff loose in your inventory, and there will be nothing for the NPC to take.
2) New player who doesn't know about #1:
Solution: He's about to find out.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

what about half-giants who are carrying a bunch of stuff in chests because they can't wear enough packs to hold everything?!

Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on September 13, 2017, 08:40:28 AM
what about half-giants who are carrying a bunch of stuff in chests because they can't wear enough packs to hold everything?!

What about the massive collection of stuff they carry, is necessary for a half-giant, that isn't necessary for anyone else? Solution: Stop carrying so much shit. There are oversized backpacks made specifically for half-giants, that will hold more than humans can hold in their normal-sized backpacks. There's no reason for half-giants to carry so much stuff, and the only reason players of HGs do have their PCs carry so much stuff, is because they have the coded strength to do so. Not because they actually need it all.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

September 13, 2017, 10:07:37 AM #23 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:05:16 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on September 13, 2017, 10:07:37 AM
Quote from: evilcabbage on September 13, 2017, 08:40:28 AM

Off topic: I always thought half-giants should be able to wear trunks and chests on their backs/over their shoulders.
I suggest mcing a chest with straps on it for better transportation...and for wearing.